Page 105 of 106 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106 LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,150 of 3163

Thread: What are you watching?

Since it is going to broiling out over the weekend, have a marathon of from the Earth to the Moon.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

"The Lone Ranger - Enter the Lone Ranger". This was the first filmed episode of the series - first shown in 1949. I saw it listed for the middle of the night on the local Community TV station and couldn't resist recording it. I can't remember ever seeing the show but may have ran across it as a child. It was amusing to see that they hid the face of the, soon to be, Lone Ranger as Tonto was healing his wounds after saving him from death - who was that masked man? Of course the theme music is legendary.

It was just as silly as I expected, but it was nice seeing the same rocks and standard footage that appeared in shows like "The Cisco Kid" & "Zorro". Plenty of comedy gold deaths, stilted dialogue and wooden acting plus a cliffhanger ending. They don't make shows like this anymore, for a very good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    "The Lone Ranger - Enter the Lone Ranger". This was the first filmed episode of the series - first shown in 1949. I saw it listed for the middle of the night on the local Community TV station and couldn't resist recording it. I can't remember ever seeing the show but may have ran across it as a child. It was amusing to see that they hid the face of the, soon to be, Lone Ranger as Tonto was healing his wounds after saving him from death - who was that masked man? Of course the theme music is legendary.

It was just as silly as I expected, but it was nice seeing the same rocks and standard footage that appeared in shows like "The Cisco Kid" & "Zorro". Plenty of comedy gold deaths, stilted dialogue and wooden acting plus a cliffhanger ending. They don't make shows like this anymore, for a very good reason.
    The main villain in the first Lone Ranger episode was played by Glenn Strange (later the bartender on Gunsmoke), who had three turns as the Frankenstein Monster in the old Universal films series. Photographs of Strange often appeared in Boris Karloff's obituaries in 1969.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    The main villain in the first Lone Ranger episode was played by Glenn Strange (later the bartender on Gunsmoke), who had three turns as the Frankenstein Monster in the old Universal films series. Photographs of Strange often appeared in Boris Karloff's obituaries in 1969.
    Aaah! I thought he looked vaguely familiar but his real name didn't ring a bell with me so I went no further. Thanks.

Tonight watching Ancient Skies and some one named Phil Plait is on it,of course he had to go where gnomon has gone before. The two episodes of 5 of Nova on the inner planets a narrated by Zachary Quentin.

Manx-Spock himself.

Speaking of, is anyone else watching NOS4A2? Creepy good.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I just got as far as the phrase "feeding on the souls of kidnapped children" in an on-line plot summary. I'm pretty sure I'm not the target demographic.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I checked, someone in NZ has that on their vehicle.

( https://kiwiplates.nz/get-a-plate/cr...se-combination )
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

I'll take that Rolls Royce though. Kinda looks like a Packard--or vice versa https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Wraith_(1938)

In no particular order: Rififi, The Maltese Falcon, The Omega Man and Performance.
    I'm lucky enough to still have a local store that sells movies and music on physical media. Their two-for-the-price-of-one rack is always full of stuff I want to own, and they're doing an offer on some marvellous Premium Collection and Arrow Academy releases at present, all full of great extras. I'm already regretting restricting myself to just four.

Grant Hutchison

Just started Run Silent, Run Deep, a B&W WWII submarine picture starring Clark Gable.

I've been enjoying the Friendly Fire podcast--three irreverent guys chatting about war movies--and this is one of their early viewings.

Thanks to Trebuchet I have the Brooks Falls Bear Cam set as a favourite now. I often drop in see how the bears are going with their salmon fishing activities. My 3 year old grandson was visiting a couple of days this week and I showed him the bears which he liked. However what really interested him was a large moose with big antlers that wandered in front of one of the cameras. He would watch the bears for a while but kept demanding we check the other cameras in case the moose came back.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Thanks to Trebuchet I have the Brooks Falls Bear Cam set as a favourite now. I often drop in see how the bears are going with their salmon fishing activities. ...
    Me too also. I'll drop in several times a day. I like watching the mother bears and their cubs (sows and coy, according to the Comments). And their was the time a couple of young bears (subadults, ditto) were on the spit where the Rangers park their boats. One got curious, looked into a boat, and pulled out a coil of rope.

Kids.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Just saw the season finale of SHIELD love it, never turn your back on the calvary. Also Coulson might be the first timelord, he just coming back.

Watched Mid90s the other week. It wasn't very good but did make me want to learn to skate so now I own a skateboard.

Finally watched Pulp Fiction last weekend. It was okay, I guess? I had watched A Serious Man right before that, and I liked it much better than Pulp.

Watched Us with some friends last night. I don't get frightened by "scary" movies, so I can't comment on that, but it seemed pretty creaky - weighed down by self-conscious allegory and references to other movies, full of plot holes, and marred by little "comedy" moments in which Jordan Peele seems to have imagined he was writing a sketch for Key & Peele.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Watched Us with some friends last night. I don't get frightened by "scary" movies, so I can't comment on that, but it seemed pretty creaky - weighed down by self-conscious allegory and references to other movies, full of plot holes, and marred by little "comedy" moments in which Jordan Peele seems to have imagined he was writing a sketch for Key & Peele.
    Oh, I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Oh, I loved it.
    What did you like about it? My friends who did enjoy it emphasized that they found it unsettling and/or scary, and seemed not have have picked up on any of the embedded references, or indeed some apparently important plot elements. They just kind of let it wash over them, I think. I don't seem to be able to do that.

Grant Hutchison

This is one of those films that perhaps works best to read about it beforehand, even if it spoils some surprises. I personally remember the "hands across America" thing from TV, for instance, but many might not.

The whole idea of the existence of "under-people" and attempted government control of population, and the idea of people living in tunnels belowground, these are common to American thinking and American SF (e.g., slavery & racism, Shaver stories in Amazing Stories, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Sharpe_Shaver, men in black, black helicopters).

The suspense is excellent and the twists and turns are very clever. Peele understands the dark places in the American mind better than most.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    This is one of those films that perhaps works best to read about it beforehand, even if it spoils some surprises. I personally remember the "hands across America" thing from TV, for instance, but many might not.

The whole idea of the existence of "under-people" and attempted government control of population, and the idea of people living in tunnels belowground, these are common to American thinking and American SF (e.g., slavery & racism, Shaver stories in Amazing Stories, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Sharpe_Shaver, men in black, black helicopters).

The suspense is excellent and the twists and turns are very clever. Peele understands the dark places in the American mind better than most.
    Well, for better or worse, the wide dissemination of American media abroad means that most of us in the UK are well aware of America's cultural preoccupations, too. And Peele issued some pretty broad hints - for instance with the prominent display of a video of C.H.U.D. right next to the "Hands Across America" coverage in the opening sequence. There was a definite "Uh-huh ..." sound from the audience in our living room at that point.
    I'm certainly not averse to hints and allegories and knowing winks - quite the reverse, in fact - but for me Peele seemed to be shovelling them in without due regard to producing a coherent story. Plenty of trees, but not a very good view of the woods.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I'm certainly not averse to hints and allegories and knowing winks - quite the reverse, in fact - but for me Peele seemed to be shovelling them in without due regard to producing a coherent story. Plenty of trees, but not a very good view of the woods.
    Here are a couple of American reviews of Us, by critics who seem to have come away with exactly the same sensation I did. I offer them only because the full reviews, at the end of my links, are eloquent and detailed beyond what I could manage to say here.

Time
    , Stephanie Zacharek: "Jordan Peele's Us Is Dazzling to Look At. But What Is It Trying to Say?"
    Sometimes great movies are ambiguous, but ambiguity resulting from unclear thinking makes nothing great. Itís one thing for a movie to humble you by leaving you unsure about yourself and your place in the world; itís another for it to leave you wondering what, exactly, a filmmaker is trying to use his formidable verbal and visual vocabulary to say.
    Vanity Fair, Richard Lawson: "Jordan Peeleís Us Stabs Itself in the Foot"
    Us, on the other hand, is a frustrating movie, oddly inert despite all its thrashing. Itís a jumble of fascinating threads that Peele fails to weave together.
    (I should add that I also agree with these reviewers about the fine cinematography and acting, something I should have mentioned up front.)

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    Finally watched Pulp Fiction last weekend. It was okay, I guess? I had watched A Serious Man right before that, and I liked it much better than Pulp.
    Oh, A Serious Man is a movie I like better as well. (I watched in when my daughter was in the NICU and found it weirdly soothing, too.) Then again, I've written a two-page essay on why I don't like Quentin Tarantino that I only ended because it was supposed to fit under the heading "short articles," and I was already pretty sure it wasn't one.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Then again, I've written a two-page essay on why I don't like Quentin Tarantino that I only ended because it was supposed to fit under the heading "short articles," and I was already pretty sure it wasn't one.
    I'm not a Tarantinite, by any means. I usually enjoy his films, or at least, I don't dislike them. Definitely more a style thing than a substance thing, and I certainly don't find them to be the masterpieces that his fans seem to view them as.

Also, I watched A Serious Man while in the hospital during my wife's labor. It was an exception 'stuck in the hospital' movie. Heh.

Nothing. The Cable is out in this hotel. It's very nice.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Repeats of The Chase on Challenge

Watching AMC's last season of PREACHER

Archer 1999 has dropped onto NZ Netflix.

So Adventure Time will take a short break (S6, E2 is next for me)

Tonight though, 8 out of ten cats does countdown.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

The documentary Hail Satan?, which I commend to all here. Beyond which I am gagged by the rules against both politics and religion, which might be a first for me.

Grant Hutchison