Page 100 of 101 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101 LastLast
Results 2,971 to 3,000 of 3021

Thread: What are you watching?

Got a preview of HBO this month saw the first 2 seasons of Westworld, liked it over all.
    This week is the last season of Game of Thrones pretty much all 1st tier leaders of the families have been wiped. All the ones that were treated poorly by their families are taking over. Just saw the battle with the dragon against Jaime.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Got a preview of HBO this month ...
    This week is the last season of Game of Thrones ...
    "Dracarys."

Best. Line. Ever.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Got Incredibles 2 from a free movie rental yesterday. It's really good, and the short "Bao" is simply adorable.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Joe Pera Talks with You - funny and relaxing

Arizona - comedy/horror movie

I thought it was better than its Rotten Tomatoes score. I especially liked the '80s-esque "danger music".
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon Prime. I just finished binging the first season so on to the second. Wonderful acting and writing. Rachel Brosnahan is fantastic. I understand why the show and she have been racking up awards.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon Prime. I just finished binging the first season so on to the second. Wonderful acting and writing. Rachel Brosnahan is fantastic. I understand why the show and she have been racking up awards.
    I also binged the season, on a long plane flight, and was equally impressed.

Alas, my gifted Prime subscription ran out before I had a chance to get around to it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

We were visiting my cousin yesterday and he somehow learned neither of us had ever seen Napoleon Dynamite. Nothing would do but we had to watch it right then. I quite enjoyed it.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

The Favourite. Sex and intrigue in the court of Queen Anne, and at last an entirely comprehensible film from Yorgos Lanthimos (though it looks like he had no idea how to end it). Good acting from the three principals and at least one rabbit. Lovely cinematography. "Off beat" humour - which is to say, sometimes you smile, sometimes you cringe.
    Grant Hutchison

El Rey had a Firefly marathon, and actually showed them in the correct order! Novel idea, right Fox execs?

Man, I miss that show.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

Project blue book with the actor who played little finger in Game of Thrones as Hynek.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Project blue book with the actor who played little finger in Game of Thrones as Hynek.
    Proving yet again there is life after death.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

What dis he expect after trying to start a fight between two sisters.

I hope he didn't quit game of thrones for Blue Book. It wasn't bad but not much of a wow factor in it.

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    We watched A League of Their Own last night. I had not seen it, much to my friends' and wife's surprise. I enjoyed it. I don't know how well it meshes with the real story of Women's pro baseball, but it seemed authentic enough. But with all such depictions, I found myself a little annoyed at the end, seeing that the league lasted 11 years, and now is gone. I get the prevailing male-dominated opposition to it, and to women in general through the war and post-war period (and still present), but it makes me angry that nothing's much come our way like that since. Don't get me wrong, pro (and amateur) softball players are amazing athletes, and I like watching softball too. But for there to be no significant pro baseball for women, or there to be no women in MLB to this point, is just wrong. Does anyone know if there are women in the minors? Or any college teams?

CJSF
    Sorry, very late to this party.

I love A League of Their Own. I too don't know how well it depicts reality, but I think it is a great movie. It has my two favorite baseball movie lines. The first is the well known "There's no crying in baseball". The second is the last line of this exchange (and true of many things besides baseball):

Jimmy Dugan: <shoot>, Dottie, if you want to go back to Oregon and make a hundred babies, great, I'm in no position to tell anyone how to live. But sneaking out like this, quitting, you'll regret it for the rest of your life. Baseball is what gets inside you. It's what lights you up, you can't deny that.
    Dottie Hinson: It just got too hard.
    Jimmy Dugan: It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great.
    I am a little surprised that there has been relatively little inclusion of women in professional baseball, or the formation of a professional women's baseball league, though there is a professional fast pitch softball league (LINK). I can't think of a good biomechanical reason a woman couldn't play professional baseball, and I'm more than a little surprised that at least a minor league team hasn't signed one, if for no other reason than the PR.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Caught up on available Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon, so thought I'd re-start Doctor Who.

Couldn't remember where I'd left off with my ex Wife, so started at the changeover to Tennant.

Opinion reserved for now ...
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I am a little surprised that there has been relatively little inclusion of women in professional baseball, or the formation of a professional women's baseball league, though there is a professional fast pitch softball league (LINK). I can't think of a good biomechanical reason a woman couldn't play professional baseball, and I'm more than a little surprised that at least a minor league team hasn't signed one, if for no other reason than the PR.
    The PR wouldn't be an unalloyed good, is at least part of the problem. Imagine how many people would assume she's "taking a man's place." Another part of the problem is inertia. There are a lot of reasons. I don't follow baseball, but I'm really not surprised myself that there are no women playing at a professional level on the same teams as men.

"You can't erase icing."

MythBusters Jr.

Nice to hear Adam's laugh again. Those kids have brains.

Got a box set of Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes in yesterday's mail, so I'll probably watch Overdrawn at the Memory Bank later today. I also got the Tom Hanks/Dan Aykroyd Dragnet and will give that a rewatch.

"You can't erase icing."

My wife loves Sporacle trivia quizzes. Last night she found a series of quizzes in which you have to supply a word to complete the titles of popular movies for every decade back to the start of the 20th century.

It was weird, we were screaming out words at the TV screen and each other, trying to beat the clock while my wife typed in the answers, all while I was trying to go to sleep.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    ó Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

"Eight Days That Made Rome" hosted by Bettany Hughes. They've done Zama and Spartacus, next up is the Rubicon. Nicely done. History presented this well is very fascinating, without the Hollywood theatrics.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

"Eight Days That Made Rome" hosted by Bettany Hughes. They've done Zama and Spartacus, next up is the Rubicon. Nicely done. History presented this well is very fascinating, without the Hollywood theatrics.
    Ah, I enjoyed that one, despite poor Hughes being forced to do the walk-and-talk thing that now seems to be required for all presenters. At least she got to walk through historically relevant locations with flat surfaces and hand rails. We have a chap called Neil Oliver hereabouts,who presents archaeology and history programmes, and the last time I saw him he was walking pointlessly across generic Scottish moorland while looking backwards over his shoulder to talk to the camera. I couldn't listen to what he was saying for worrying about him taking a header into a peat hag. I presume the director didn't care if his presenter broke an ankle.

Grant Hutchison

BBC Victoria and Albert The Royal Wedding with Lucy Worsley. Actually on YouTube but the entire 90 minute presentation is available. Very interesting and a very well done re-creation of the royal wedding. I wasn't aware that the tradition of the white wedding dress (and some other traditions as well) stem from that wedding.

I saw Spartacus and the crossing of the Rubicon, and yes, very nicely done!
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    BBC Victoria and Albert The Royal Wedding with Lucy Worsley. Actually on YouTube but the entire 90 minute presentation is available. Very interesting and a very well done re-creation of the royal wedding. I wasn't aware that the tradition of the white wedding dress (and some other traditions as well) stem from that wedding.
    Many of the ones that didn't come from the wedding of one of her daughters. Actually, Mary Queen of Scots scandalized the French nobility at her first wedding by marrying in white, as white was the colour of mourning in France at the time.

"You can't erase icing."

Are getting married and mourning mutually exclusive?

Just watched the first episode of the second season of Mrs. Maisel. I thought I could not be more impressed with this cast. I was wrong. I could watch Rachel Brosnahan, Tony Shalhoub and Marin Hinkle read alternating passages from a phone book. They literally feed off each others performances. Alex Borstein is equally great. Her scenes with the two hit men sent to get her are a pleasure to watch.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

Watching Criminal Minds this week in Lewiston ME, a little close to home.

Lately I've been watching a lot of Lucy Worsley on YouTube. Last week it was the 3-part series British History's Biggest Fibs followed by Elegance and Decadence The Age of the Regency.

This week was the series Bad Blood: Stuarts to Hanoverians.

All darned interesting. The Bad Blood series makes the case that the current monarchy exists because of weakness of health through the line of succession as much as strength of personality and political circumstances.

If only they could keep her away from the dressing-up box.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    If only they could keep her away from the dressing-up box.

Grant Hutchison
    Well, at least she didnít model the older Queen Victoriaís drawers. Dressing like Beau Brummell may have been a bit over the top though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro