Page 113 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,390 of 3570

Thread: What are you watching?

Doctor Who [mild spoilers perhaps, below]

I was disappointed with the DW finale, to be honest. Cybermen, again. The Master, again. Gallifrey destroyed, again. Things not explained:

1. Who is the "alternate" Doctor? Where DOES she fit into THEE Doctor's life? If she is from way before, why did the Alt-Doc have a phone-booth TARDIS?
    2. HOW did The Master return? The writers closed the loop on Missy/The Master pretty elegantly at the end of Capaldi's tenure.
    3. The Doctor not once mentioned (or The Master didn't once mention!) that THE DOCTOR HAS DESTROYED GALLIFREY him/herself! Then, when it inexplicably (thanks, writers) returned, had it banished to the void at least once! She's one to talk about "OMG WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!" to The Master about it destroying it! The dealing/not dealing with the guilt of destroying Gallifrey was one of the defining character traits and plot lines for Tennant's tenure as The Doctor. They did a whole multiple-Doctor special about it! Remember The War Doctor?

And we KNOW that The Master isn't dead, nor all of the CyberTimeMasterLords or whatever they are.

And next, we have the Daleks again in time for Christmas!

Fine. It's Doctor Who, so you GOTTA have Daleks and Cybermen. Maybe I'm just using this as a lightning rod and I should watch it again in a couple of months. IDK.

CJSF
    "Off went his rocket at the speed of light
    Flying so fast there was no day or night
    Messing around with the fabric of time
    He knows who's guilty 'fore there's even a crime

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett
    There's more than we were taught"

-They Might Be Giants, "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space)"

lonelybirder.org

Agreed on all counts. I was wondering how they were going to tie everything up. The answer was "not very well". And they totally broke canon. It's not as if canon on DW is all that rigid anyhow, but the Doc's new backstory was a) kind of ridiculous; and b) not very interesting.

I think I kind of lost it on the Brendan thing. Was he supposed to be an iteration of the doctor? Because what he did after being shot off the cliff wasn't regeneration, it was more like Jack Harkness.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Agreed on all counts. I was wondering how they were going to tie everything up. The answer was "not very well". And they totally broke canon. It's not as if canon on DW is all that rigid anyhow, but the Doc's new backstory was a) kind of ridiculous; and b) not very interesting.

I think I kind of lost it on the Brendan thing. Was he supposed to be an iteration of the doctor? Because what he did after being shot off the cliff wasn't regeneration, it was more like Jack Harkness.
    I think the Brendan "story" was us seeing the altered version of the lifetime[s] and then erasure of The Doctor's memories on Gallifrey. They did a quick montage scene that seemed to indicate that. A Jack Harkness tie-in would have been MUCH more interesting! And yeah - I mean, so the origin of the Time Lords is a bit different? So what? I mean is "The Division" a new thing in the Who Universe? I haven't watched much Classic DW to know.

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

The division is some what new but the doctor ever sense the genesis of the daleks somtimes worked for Gallifrey when they needed him and that was way back in the Tom Baker era, and the origins of the Time Lords keep changing along with their history because Rassilon was suppose of been trapped in being immortal but couldn't leave a casket since way back in Tom Bake era as well. The Doctor at first told everyone he killed the timelords (timelord is a word) but just hide them in another deminsion that he blocked out of his own memory. Plus the Doctor or some else with a TArdis could go and grab all the timelord bodies just before the big explosion and save them all. It is Doctor Who and time is suppose to be timey-wimey.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    ... It is Doctor Who and time is suppose to be timey-wimey.
    Yes, but there are fixed points in time that cannot be altered. They've made that quite clear. Well, "quite clear" in Doctor Who terms. That is, "fixed but subject to change as the plot requires."

Okay, so full confession, I recorded the episode and it stopped just after the Doctor was admiring the Tardis Tree and about to enter the Blue Box. What did I miss?
    Never mind, found out.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

It is difficult to watch "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad" knowing that the evil wizard is played by Tom Baker. It just ruins the whole effect. Great Shiva statue, tho.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    It is difficult to watch "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad" knowing that the evil wizard is played by Tom Baker. It just ruins the whole effect. Great Shiva statue, tho.
    You haven't seen Baker as Rasputin, then? (Nicholas and Alexandra, 1971)

I thought that was amusing. I have most of the Ray harryhausen movies on DVD, as I like the stop motion animation and the movies have a certain cheesy charm.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

We watched, Where'd You Go, Bernadette last night. Despite some (at best) mediocre reviews, I rather liked it. It was a little slow paced, but that was OK for our needs, and the main point of the story was a little unclear through most of it. It had some subtle comedy with some serious undertones. I can see why it wasn't everyone's cup of tea.

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

Don't judge, but I'm really enjoying Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist. Jane Levy (she's delightful) plays Zoey, a young coder who has an MRI, after which people express their innermost feelings to her through song and dance, which only she can see/hear and they don't remember … of course. Then she has to discover what problem they're expressing that she has to help them address.

It's a cute premise but they pull it off. The musical numbers are supposed to be private non-sequiturs so they don't seem out of place, even though they are out of place. And they're good for an ear worm … "Moondance" one week, "This Little Light of Mine" this week.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    You haven't seen Baker as Rasputin, then? (Nicholas and Alexandra, 1971)
    "Jelly baby, Tzar Alexander?"

Don't judge, but I'm really enjoying Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist.
    We like it too Jim, an interesting take on how her non communicating Dad can express himself to her.

Spealing of earworms, "Horrible Histories" from the BBC has song-and-dance routines about King Charles II, Boudecia, Cleopatra, and Blackbeard the pirate you will never get out of your head. The worst by far is "Caveman Love". HH is on Amazon Prime and YouTube.

Spealing of earworms, "Horrible Histories" from the BBC has song-and-dance routines about King Charles II, Boudecia, Cleopatra, and Blackbeard the pirate you will never get out of your head. The worst by far is "Caveman Love". HH is on Amazon Prime and YouTube.
    I preferred the Kings & Queens of England song.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I preferred the Kings & Queens of England song.
    NOOOoo, it's in my head! "William, William. Henry, make it stop!"

NOOOoo, it's in my head! "William, William. Henry, make it stop!"
    My work here is done, my evil plan has succeeded!

Devoured S2 of "The Kominsky Method".

Still really enjoying it, definitely want to see S3.

Having just seen ads for the re-boot of Mad About You it was slightly jarring to recognise Paul Reiser playing a more elderly person than it seems they have in MAY. Amazing what a hairpiece can do.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

Vanilla Sky. For me, the original Abre Los Ojos worked better, maybe because I find Tom Cruise in "roguish charm" mode pretty repellent.
    But what's with the title? I get it that Monet's skies feature as a plot element--I just don't understand why anyone would attach the word "vanilla" to a Monet sky.

Grant Hutchison

The movie shows “The Seine at Argenteuil.” The clouds do look kinda vanilla-y.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seine_at_Argenteuil
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

Tom Cruise is pretty repellent just as a human being, so far as I'm concerned.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Even with subtitles, "Open Your Eyes" was light-years better than "Vanilla Sky".

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    The movie shows “The Seine at Argenteuil.” The clouds do look kinda vanilla-y.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seine_at_Argenteuil
    Vanilla Clouds would make more sense, certainly. But it's just such a dull word for Monet's skies.

Grant Hutchison

Just finished season 2 of Star Trek: Discovery and I quite enjoyed it. A lot. For some reason, S1 didn't keep my attention but I may have to go back a watch it up.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

The Epix Channel featuring of the "War of The Worlds" is pretty good, now into episode #3, it's sad in many ways, esp the decaying bodies all over the place and the remaining humans being picked off by....Spoiler Alert from here on.........

....Picked off by these robot things that are best described as very large mechanical dogs. One was damaged by gunfire and was found to have an organic component inside which looked like a brain. The story follows several separate groups or individuals who are trying to seek out family members or just trying to figure out what the heck is going on. One thing they have learned is that these aliens were attracted by one of our own deliberate signals sent out years ago similar to the
    Arecibo message. It was just a homing beacon to come and get us, like Hawking has warned us about. This series takes place mainly in France and England.

Every episode of Picard seems to put a grin on my face. Who would of thought people in the 25th century still growing their own food.

I watched the first two episodes of Devs. It is a science fiction mini series (eight episodes) set in the present. It has an odd feel to it. Some passages seem slow, with long stretches that are fairly quiet with no background music interspersed with sections with oppressive and sometimes loud music played. There are odd characters and a strange statue of a young girl (the reason for that starts to become clear in the second episode) and intrigue. It is keeping my interest so far, which means it is doing well for me.

Mild *spoiler* -

this will become obvious within the first two episodes but if you’re curious, the main conceit is that they have developed a quantum computer able to predict human action to an extreme degree, with the implication that the universe is deterministic. They have shown they can view historical events, but it isn’t clear exactly where they are taking this in future episodes.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Cosmosossible worlds star in about half an hour on national geographic.

Okay, true confessions first. I have been watching Supergirl and Batwoman. Hey, I like Melisa Benoist's take on the character, bright and all positive. Batwoman OTOH … I mean, Batman was always a bit on the dark side (except for Adam West's version) but last night …
    Spoiler: (Highlight this box to see the hidden message.)
    Batwoman (Kate) went and killed a guy … choked him to death with her bare hands! Okay, the guy had kept Kate's sister Beth a prisoner for many years which turned her into a psychotic criminal. And he did keep Kate's mother's head in a refrigerator so he could transplant her face. But still …

Dark, very dark. It will be interesting to see where they go from here.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

My wife recently "discovered" episodes of Taskmaster on YouTube. We've watched some of Series 4. The only person I know is Noel Fielding, though I think I've seen Hugh Dennis before, but not known his name. It's quite funny in a surreal and useless sort of way, which seems to be exactly what we need right now!

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

I am watching more cnbc when they are talking about the market, and reading a bit more too. I am pretty conservative in the market, but am looking for buying possibilities for when it starts looking like things are solidly turning around. I expect the market to take off when the panic subsides. In any event, it is an interesting change from watching or reading fiction or virus/medical news.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2020-Mar-16 at 03:04 PM.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser