Page 139 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139
Results 4,141 to 4,150 of 4150

Thread: What are you watching?

  1. #4141
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    39,515
    Dark Matter was not to my liking much. The characters were blatant attempts to mimic the success of Firefly, especially the biggest jerk (I say biggest because most of them are jerks on DM). And the racial stereotype of Four was just gratuitous.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  2. #4142
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    6,416
    Katla, a series set in Iceland during a long-term eruption of the eponymous volcano. Along with the duration of the eruption - which has the show's geologists flummoxed - there are very strange occurrences involving people. Supernatural stuff. I've watched a couple of episodes and it has my interest.

  3. #4143
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NEOTP Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,576
    Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    Katla, a series set in Iceland during a long-term eruption of the eponymous volcano. Along with the duration of the eruption - which has the show's geologists flummoxed - there are very strange occurrences involving people. Supernatural stuff. I've watched a couple of episodes and it has my interest.
    We may have to try again. We watched the first 30 minutes and while the cinematography was quite good, the plot....meh. Plus I thought the dubbing was mediocre, as if the voice actors forgot to, you know, act.

    In a similar vein we tried to watch Maniac with Emma Stone and Jonah Hill. And couldn't get past the character introductions because the director introduced the mental weirdness waaaayy too soon.

    We also tried to watch Army of the Dead with Dave Bautista, for something completely mindless. Nope. Too mindless.

    We finally settled on The Secrets We Keep with Noomi Rapace. A 30-minute story that took 97 minutes to tell.

    That's OK. Bosch is back next week, although it's the final season. And last week we mini-binged The final season of The Kominski Method, which we expected to enjoy, and did.

    We also just wrapped up the final episode of Ripper Street. It was quite good for the most part but started to lose its footing in the end, as most series tend to do. Unless the producers do the right thing and kill it off.

    We might start Whitechapel.

  4. #4144
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Dark Matter was not to my liking much. The characters were blatant attempts to mimic the success of Firefly, especially the biggest jerk (I say biggest because most of them are jerks on DM). And the racial stereotype of Four was just gratuitous.
    I don't know why I like this show so much. All of the characters are zigzagged stereotypes to an extent. Six is a typical idealistic cop, one is an everyman, android is a typical android, two is an action chick, three is despicable, four is a samurai, and so on. I would imagine that was done to allow for character studies, where we measure to see if what they say and do match up their ideals.

    Four's character study is screwed up because he actually has "cash and prizes" on the table. Everyone else's rewards more ambiguous and swing between ethical and unethical. Four's problem was that he was instilled with ethics by crazy people, a royal court, an abuse father, and a murdering mother. Ultimately, he's turned on every person he should care about and killed them in the name of honor.

    The cultural trappings are rather ugly because they are so poorly done or received*, but also irrelevant to his story. They could have cloaked him in the Roman empire and his story would be the same. Is he the Augustus or Tiberius? He isn't Caligula... yet. We don't really approve of Empires anymore because the potential for disaster is so great, especially with the younger Emperors rising to power too soon.

    *I've only studied Japan, China and Korea for a couple of semesters. I can't even tell which one of these cultures they tried to use for the TV show. I get a couple of the references, but definitely not all of the references. For all I know, they managed to combine all three then mashed in some King Arthur and a touch of the American or French Revolution. I can't even evaluate it enough to decide.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2021-Jun-20 at 04:31 PM.
    Solfe

  5. #4145
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    31,902
    We've been watching and enjoying Loki; last night, during our script read, I had a character who I voiced as Miss Minutes.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  6. #4146
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    39,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I don't know why I like this show so much. All of the characters are zigzagged stereotypes to an extent. Six is a typical idealistic cop, one is an everyman, android is a typical android, two is an action chick, three is despicable, four is a samurai, and so on. I would imagine that was done to allow for character studies, where we measure to see if what they say and do match up their ideals.
    Android was written as a pallid Data clone and it shows, and don't even get me started on the "creative" name. But Zoie Palmer's acting made her into an actual character, which makes Android stand out from all the other so-called characters.

    "Okay."
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  7. #4147
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    11,126
    Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    Katla, a series set in Iceland during a long-term eruption of the eponymous volcano. Along with the duration of the eruption - which has the show's geologists flummoxed - there are very strange occurrences involving people. Supernatural stuff. I've watched a couple of episodes and it has my interest.
    Just finished that yesterday. Was worth the watch. (Found it slightly weird when one of the feature vehicles (there was lots of driving back and forth) was the same model as my own car. Watching the character mess with the radio it was almost too familiar.)

    Started Tribes of Europa enjoying it a lot so far. Post mysterious break down of economies and societies, tribes in conflict, interesting small characters within the larger plot.


    Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    ... A 30-minute story that took 97 minutes to tell. ...
    Much of Katla was like that, but I think it's just the way the genre is meant to be.


    Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    ... And last week we mini-binged The final season of The Kominski Method, which we expected to enjoy, and did.
    Ditto. Nicely finished, not too "super happy ending" nor a surprise "horrorible twist". I'd have watched S4 if they made one.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

  8. #4148
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Android was written as a pallid Data clone and it shows, and don't even get me started on the "creative" name. But Zoie Palmer's acting made her into an actual character, which makes Android stand out from all the other so-called characters.

    "Okay."
    I think Zoie Palmer is pretty great. I also happen to like David Hewlett and Will Wheaton, which helped a lot. Both of these guys decided to take the weird and twitchy to the next level in this show. Their "behavior" is almost like parody of the show itself, which is very strange. I said "behavior" because I am not entirely sure they were acting appropriately for the show. "Let's screw around and see what happens?" pretty much covers their characters.
    Solfe

  9. #4149
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,629
    I did try to got back and watch BSG and Stargate Universe today. My brain said, "nope, too dark."
    Solfe

  10. #4150
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    39,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I did try to got back and watch BSG and Stargate Universe today. My brain said, "nope, too dark."
    New!BSG was dark but clever, and then degenerated into "people yelling at each other and the plot getting darker for its own sake".

    SGU started as "people yelling at each other and the plot getting darker for its own sake".
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Similar Threads

  1. What are you NOT watching?
    By Fazor in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 2014-May-05, 11:35 AM
  2. What are you watching on TV?
    By Disinfo Agent in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 2012-Jun-09, 07:41 PM
  3. Who is watching who?
    By peteshimmon in forum Forum Introductions and Feedback
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2006-Dec-11, 12:54 PM
  4. TV watching
    By xbck1 in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2005-Nov-08, 02:01 PM
  5. Satellite watching
    By Skyfox 56 in forum Astronomy
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2003-Jul-30, 05:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •