Page 133 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135 ... LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,990 of 4062

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Good to know! That's one of the versions I haven't seen, and IMDb doesn't let you search by character anymore.
    I just tried google using

ďimdb marty byrdeĒ

as the search terms and it popped up as Ozark. So maybe that can be a workaround?

What I'd really want is a list of every time someone appears as a character, which they used to let you do.

Yesterday morning, I watched Carefree, in which Fred Astaire psychoanalyzes Ginger Rogers. It is terrible even beyond its '30s Freudianism; even Freudians would be aware of how unethical his actions are.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I started watching Virgin River on Netflix, which is mildly interesting with pockets of "very good" here and there. My wife started watching it with me, but said, "It's basically Hart of Dixie" (which I haven't seen) and hasn't been interested at all. She said the actor playing the doctor is the same, and he is the same basic character and the premise seemed too similar for her to be much into it.

We've also been re-watching some The IT Crowd episodes - myself with mixed feelings. I've generally loved Graham Linehan's stuff, but he's come out as so anti-Trans these last few years it's hard to not think about that while watching. At least a couple of the episodes seem less complicatedly satiric of life and more just mean.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Nuthin'.
    About 300 channels and nuthin' on.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Nuthin'.
    About 300 channels and nuthin' on.
    I get only about 20 channels (free to air) and have the same problems. Streaming 'old' TV series and Films via YouTube has been the answer for me. We are currently working our way through "The Bob Newhart Show" & "Newhart". I have also watched numerous B & W Films of the 30's & 40's and am now running through all the 'screwball' comedies that are available on-line. All this interspersed with UK shows like "Callan" keeps me entertained.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I just started watching Invincible on Amazon Prime. They released three episodes last Friday, and a single episode each Friday after that. I just realized itís Friday - I havenít watched the current episode yet.
    Invincible is interesting to me because I had read the original graphic novels, way back when. I think I still have them in a box somewhere among my collection.

The changes to the TV series strike me as both necessary and welcome, but MAN there's a lot of graphic violence. Deconstruction* of the superhero genre continues apace!

* IE, in this case, realistic consequences of people who can throw lightning and fire, and regularly fight alongside us squishy meatbags.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I get only about 20 channels (free to air) and have the same problems. Streaming 'old' TV series and Films via YouTube has been the answer for me. We are currently working our way through "The Bob Newhart Show" & "Newhart". I have also watched numerous B & W Films of the 30's & 40's and am now running through all the 'screwball' comedies that are available on-line. All this interspersed with UK shows like "Callan" keeps me entertained.
    I never watched "Newhart" but, entirely by accident, caught the last ten minutes of the last episode with the surprise ending.

I watched Animal Crackers, because I have access to the Criterion Channel.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I never watched "Newhart" but, entirely by accident, caught the last ten minutes of the last episode with the surprise ending.
    That was certainly a very nicely done wrap up for the series. Newhart is not fantastic but it is a pleasant diversion.

A good parody of a then-popular trope.

Worn Stories has proven to be much more powerful than I anticipated!

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Just started Picard.

Sidenote, I watched Sir Patrick in the recent Super Bowl commercial, he did not sound well. That famous voice was a bit hoarse and wheezy. I hope both his health and vocal talents are OK.

Mostly by accident, I watched the first episode of the new "All Creatures Great and Small" last night. A bit overdone, I thought, but I enjoyed it anyhow. I recorded the second one and will watch it today.

Mostly by accident, I watched the first episode of the new "All Creatures Great and Small" last night. A bit overdone, I thought, but I enjoyed it anyhow. I recorded the second one and will watch it today.
    Pretty true to the tone of the books, though.

Grant Hutchison

Then you never encountered the three brothers. "I'm Larry. This my brother Daryl and my other brother Daryl."

And at times, they were the normal ones.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

For some reason I got into watching Murdoch Mysteries on CBC it i kind of detective series where the lead character invents stuff that seems more at home in CsI then turn of the century Toronto and then I have seen some of Call the Midwife some very grownup subject matter for mid afternoon.
    But I have
    seem to have been watching a lot of history youtube show and for some reason series about computer gaming more how the stories are developed and game addiction and how to build pcs. Be a while before I can build a new machine so I probably will be just be getting a cheap keyboard over the weekend around working for the auction company again.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Watching YouTube videos of the Geldingadalir volcano in Iceland, especially drone videos and time-lapse imagery. It's fascinating to watch the cone build up and the lava field spread in the nighttime shots. A true lava lamp.

I've been revisiting the TV series Invasion (2005), which is yet another member of my long list of "stuff I really enjoyed that some crazy person cancelled after one season". I think it still holds up on rewatching, with a slowly building sense of disquiet that segues into full-blown conflict as the season progresses. A great central performance from William Fichtner, who seems to be able to do a great deal of acting by being completely impassive. And Ariel Gade was a marvellously believable and engaging child actor.
    According to IMDb, a story arc for five seasons was planned, and I'd have really liked to see how that went.

Grant Hutchison

I'm watching LA Story, one of my favourite movies but not one I'd watch around the kids because there's too much I'd have to explain.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I've been revisiting the TV series Invasion (2005) ...
    I remember that one. And enjoyed it.

Oh, well.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

I watched part of Invasion. It had promise, and if it continued I certainly would have given it more time, but I got a bit more careful of shows that likely would take multiple seasons to develop after, for example, FlashForward. I really was getting interested in the mystery of that show, and it was nicely different, but they killed it. Now I wait until shows like that get at least one renewal. By the way, I read on IMDB that the CW network was looking into taking over and continuing Invasion but production costs were high so they declined. That may also be why it wasn’t continued in the first place.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I remember that one. And enjoyed it.

Oh, well.
    One story about the cancellation of Invasion is that it suffered by comparison with Lost, which was gathering viewing momentum at the time. But I never understood why anyone watched Lost, which was the type specimen of a particular kind of unwatchable TV for me.

Grant Hutchison

I enjoyed Lost, even the ending. I thought it was a reasonably well-done supernatural mystery.

(Is that an oxymoron?)
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

The TV series "Manifest" seems to be going the way of "Lost", if they're all not dead they should be.

I watched New Mutants last night. Sigh. It was a solid entry into the X-Men franchise, which is not a complement.

The actors were fine, they just didn't have anything to work with. Charlie Heaton was particular good, I thought.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I enjoyed Lost, even the ending. I thought it was a reasonably well-done supernatural mystery.

(Is that an oxymoron?)
    My only two encounters with lost were the opener, which featured a jet engine on the beach still running with no fuel supply after a crash; and one I passed by while flipping channels and heard the word "trebuchet". So naturally I had to leave it on to see the trebuchet. It wasn't one.

Meanwhile, I've been watching an episode of Time Team on YouTube pretty much every day. Quite enjoying them, although what they are able to accomplish is naturally highly variable.
    In the "bugs me" department, as a dirty old man I can't help noticing that pretty much every episode features young female archaeologists in skimpy tank tops bending over or squatting down, displaying cleavage in either direction. It's both titillating and annoying. I suppose they didn't do it on purpose, but it sure is consistent.

Are their shorts any shorter than Phil Harding's?

"You can't erase icing."

I suppose they didn't do it on purpose, but it sure is consistent.
    I'd never give a TV show the benefit of that particular doubt. Someone edited those clips and decided what to leave in. A fellow D.O.M.?

I'll have to watch for that! Usually jeans, I think.

My only two encounters with lost were the opener, which featured a jet engine on the beach still running with no fuel supply after a crash ...
    Yeah. I think we watched an episode and a half, back-to-back. The engine, the polar bear, and the point at which I said, "Time for this guy to be sucked out through the window by an unseen monster," just before the guy was sucked out the window by an unseen monster.
    We knew we were in the hands of people who were thinking, "What's the coolest thing we could do now, even if it makes no sense?"

I used to spend my weekends helping to repair the damage to people who had that attitude.

Grant Hutchison