Page 118 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120 ... LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,540 of 3609

Thread: What are you watching?

I am still on my pursuit of 'old' British comedy movies about means of transport. Thanks to eburacum45 I watched and enjoyed 'Oh Mr Porter'. I now think that I must have watched the Arthur Askey version previously as I don't remember being that enthused by the version I had previously watched.

Today we watched 'The Runaway Bus' a 1954 Comedy- Thriller film featuring the inimitable Margaret Rutherford being just as inimitable as always. Frankie Howerd topped the bill in his first film role. He was a bit more restrained than in some of his later roles and better for it. It also featured a very young and pretty Petula Clark, not in a singing role. It was a light, enjoyable film featuring stolen gold, a fogged in London (Heathrow) Airport and a mystery about who was the secret villain. It certainly didn't outlast its 78 minute running time.

In my on-going quest I have found a 1942 musical comedy called 'The Balloon Goes Up' about WAAF's on a Barrage Balloon site. Unfortunately, I can't seem to locate a copy of the film only a brief extract. This seems to indicate that the cast had just walked straight off the stage of a London review so it might have been interesting to see more of their performances. .

Alec Guinness can be remarkably funny in non-Star Wars films.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    True, and in line with my transport theme I could watch 'The Captain's Paradise'. Hmmm

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045607...nm_flmg_act_53

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    All Rise, a "court room drama" that is very character-driven and I like most of the characters.

The most recent episode was made during the pandemic. It was about holding a trial when you couldn't have everyone in the same room, everything was by video-conference. Fascinating concept very nicely executed.
    That does sound fascinating!

Yesterday, a friend urgently needed someone to fill in for him for a column he had due, so he rented me Working Girl, which I'd never seen, so I could write about it. It holds up really well!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    That does sound fascinating!

Yesterday, a friend urgently needed someone to fill in for him for a column he had due, so he rented me Working Girl, which I'd never seen, so I could write about it. It holds up really well!
    All that hair!!!

My article mentions that I can smell the Aqua Net.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

The 1981 "The Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy". It's been hard to shrug off the obvious early 80s-ness of it, but I'm enjoying it so far. My introduction to the franchise (is that term appropriate here?) was via the novels, then the nearly impossible text adventure on my C-64, and then the first 6-part radio play that a local Boston-area station played one week. I rather enjoyed the 2005 movie, though it seems to have luke-warm support from Adams' fanbase. I'm not sure what I was expecting regarding Zaphod, but I suppose with the budget and technology at the time, that oddly barely animate second head had to do. Surely they could have done better with Marvin? But I guess it probably fit Adams' thoughts on the matter. I don't want to delve too deeply into the whole cadre of radio plays and revised novels and everything. I know that sort of chaos probably suited Adams well, and I can take it in doses, but at my age I think I can comfortably admit I enjoy things "just so" every now and again. Right now would be one of those times.

CJSF
    Last edited by CJSF; 2020-May-12 at 08:19 PM. Reason: I know where apostrophes go, dang it! WTH
    "Off went his rocket at the speed of light
    Flying so fast there was no day or night
    Messing around with the fabric of time
    He knows who's guilty 'fore there's even a crime

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett
    There's more than we were taught"

-They Might Be Giants, "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space)"

lonelybirder.org

I enjoyed the 1981 BBC TV series of HHGTTG mainly for the animations of the Book, which were quite striking at the time, and for David Dixon's depiction of Ford Prefect, which remains definitive for me.
    Otherwise I stick to the original radio series, which was my introduction to the whole thing--the opening music still zaps my memory vividly back to the exact circumstances under which I first heard it.

(I think I've told the story before, that I was unaware of the origin of the theme music until the day I brought home a copy of the first HHGTTG book, and my wife brought home the One Of These Nights album from the Eagles. She put on the album to play while I settled down with the book. When "Journey Of The Sorcerer" fired up I had one of those moments in which the hair stands up on your neck.)

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I enjoyed the 1981 BBC TV series of HHGTTG mainly for the animations of the Book, which were quite striking at the time, and for David Dixon's depiction of Ford Prefect, which remains definitive for me.
    Otherwise I stick to the original radio series, which was my introduction to the whole thing--the opening music still zaps my memory vividly back to the exact circumstances under which I first heard it.

(I think I've told the story before, that I was unaware of the origin of the theme music until the day I brought home a copy of the first HHGTTG book, and my wife brought home the One Of These Nights album from the Eagles. She put on the album to play while I settled down with the book. When "Journey Of The Sorcerer" fired up I had one of those moments in which the hair stands up on your neck.)

Grant Hutchison
    Yes, Dixon is quite good, and matches more what I thought of when I read the novel. It's not that Mos Def was terrible in the film (the Americanization of the character was all down to Adams), but there was something about it that made the friendship with Arthur almost less authentic somehow? Not that Brits can't have American ex-pat friends, but there was a sort of something missing that the TV characterizations had.

On the whole of it, I have to say that I too find the best connection to original radio version, even having not heard it in quite some time. I should remedy that.

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

I like the more recent movie, not least because of Sam Rockwell's delightful performance of Zaphod. And, yes, quite a lot of what the fans complain about from it is stuff developed by Adams himself before he died, like the entire Malkovich character.

"You can't erase icing."

Never Surrender, a documentary from 2109 and about the making of Galaxy Quest which was approaching its 20th anniversary at the time. Mostly interviews with the producers, writers, director Dean Parisot, most of the cast (sans Alan Rickman) and a number of fans. I did not realize what a cult film GQ had become...and which is SO appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Never Surrender, a documentary from 2109 and about the making of Galaxy Quest which was approaching its 20th anniversary at the time. Mostly interviews with the producers, writers, director Dean Parisot, most of the cast (sans Alan Rickman) and a number of fans. I did not realize what a cult film GQ had become...and which is SO appropriate.
    I know the misspelling of a date is something we have all either already been guilty of or will eventually do. But in this case it is also so appropriate. Obviously they have continued to work on the remains of the GQ spacecraft and developed time travel or perhaps developed hibernation for long term space travel..

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I know the misspelling of a date is something we have all either already been guilty of or will eventually do. But in this case it is also so appropriate. Obviously they have continued to work on the remains of the GQ spacecraft and developed time travel or perhaps developed hibernation for long term space travel..
    Ha! Well played.

My daughter dropped off seasons 3 and 4 of Brokenwood Mysteries, and I'll be watching another episode as soon as I log off here...
    I've mentioned the title before. But, pzkpfw, I have a new appreciation for the landscapes and other features of the New Zealand setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    My daughter dropped off seasons 3 and 4 of Brokenwood Mysteries, and I'll be watching another episode as soon as I log off here...
    I've mentioned the title before. But, pzkpfw, I have a new appreciation for the landscapes and other features of the New Zealand setting.
    Always pleased seeing NZ produced stuff get out there.

I've been binging Community as it all popped up on Netflix.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

I never followed up regarding Locke & Key, which my wife and I finished watching a couple of weeks ago. I really enjoyed the show, despite some shortcomings in writing and pacing, up until the end. I came away from the series with:
    [potential spoilers follow]

1. The kids barely and by luck managed to stay just ahead of Dodge/Lucas, and now there are TWO of these doppelganger demons running around. I'm just not buying it that they could conceivably "win" now. So much so that I'm not that excited about season 2.
    2. What was the totally implausible twist with Gabe being Dodge now? It makes some of what happened in prior episodes make no sense! How far back? Why go through the song and dance if it wasn't necessary? I know this is based on a comic, but I don't know what liberties they are taking with the story to know if this even makes sense. It just seemed poorly treated.

Otherwise, my vote for most disturbing moment might be Dodge chucking that kid through the everywhere door and on through the subway platform to the tracks, in front of his friends. Like, that was never addressed beyond that, but imagine the investigation and there are the remains of some kid that got 100s of miles away from his home somehow and died by getting hit by a subway train! What are his friends saying or doing? It's messed up!

CJSF
    Last edited by CJSF; 2020-May-16 at 01:14 PM. Reason: clarification on that disturbing scene

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

On the YouTubes, I've been watching Physics Girl (Diana Cowen), Some of Adam Savage's Tested content, and Dr. Becky (Smethurst, an astrophysicist). Simone Giertz hasn't been posting as much, which is a shame, but we've had some quasi regular posting from home by Taskmaster's #Hometasking and various fun things (like scavenger hunts and movie nights, among other content) from It's a Southern Thing. Oh, and Metal Covers by Leo Moracchioli...

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I never followed up regarding Locke & Key, ...
    Very much enjoyed that show. (One of the best uses of surround sound even, barely audible whispering coming from behind me at "scary" moments. Very well done.)

But I agree with all your comments.

That subway scene ... I had to pause the show and digest it a moment.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Our little cinema group finally managed to convene an on-line "movie trip"--Zoom meeting with drinks, then all stream the same movie, then Zoom again. That was fun.
    The group's choice was The Rise Of Skywalker. Even the Star Wars fans among us agreed afterwards that it felt in places like a very long parody of a Star Wars movie.
    I was struck by the editing, though--it seemed, particularly during the first half, that a lot of connecting narrative had been chopped out. I wouldn't be surprised if a three-hour director's cut appears in due course.
    And I was disappointed by the sidelining of Rose, who for me was the only interesting character in the previous episode.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2020-May-16 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Very much enjoyed that show. (One of the best uses of surround sound even, barely audible whispering coming from behind me at "scary" moments. Very well done.)

But I agree with all your comments.

That subway scene ... I had to pause the show and digest it a moment.
    [The viewers]Knowing that the "Dodge" they threw into the Omega portal was Ellie was also very disturbing (c'mon, that "twist" was seen 10 miles away!), too. The ghost key has been grossly underutilized! You have a great resource on the keys sitting in that graveyard, Bode! Come on!

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

Starting my morning with Rear Window.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    The best film he made was The Ladykillers which has of course a transport-related denouement.
    The sound effect associated with a 16 ton BR mineral wagon was spot-on.

Quote Originally Posted by eburacum45 View Post
    The best film he made was The Ladykillers which has of course a transport-related denouement.
    The sound effect associated with a 16 ton BR mineral wagon was spot-on.
    Yes a film that I have seen and enjoyed a number of times. I sat through the 2004 version once just to see it. Basically a pointless remake but I gather that the Cohen Brothers did it as 'jobbing' directors rather than as a project they were deeply involved with.

I have kept up my transport theme by watching the 1953 classic Genevieve.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Yes a film that I have seen and enjoyed a number of times. I sat through the 2004 version once just to see it. Basically a pointless remake but I gather that the Cohen Brothers did it as 'jobbing' directors rather than as a project they were deeply involved with.
    Coen. I actually find the contrast between the two versions interesting and like the remake more than a lot of other people do, although that's not really saying much, given how much hatred it has even among Coen fans.

"You can't erase icing."

Coen. I actually find the contrast between the two versions interesting and like the remake more than a lot of other people do, although that's not really saying much, given how much hatred it has even among Coen fans.
    I was of course talking about the little known Irish auteurs, the Cohen Brothers of County Clare in Ireland. Their Gaelic language remake of The Ladykillers was shot in B & W and filmed on the Aran Islands and instead of railways featuring there were currachs. It has only been sparingly circulated

Stupid slip of the fingers by me.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2020-May-18 at 04:52 AM.

No lie, I would watch the heck out of that.

"You can't erase icing."

Some old (and not as old) OK Go videos. Their music is not my jam, but those videos are amazing!

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

No lie, I would watch the heck out of that.
    Have you seen Man of Aran? I would guess that you probably have. It is a looong time since I saw it.

http://americancinemathequecalendar....ys-man-of-aran

Haven't had the chance, alas.

"You can't erase icing."

Haven't had the chance, alas.
    Ah well, there is only a certain amount of time and money available to anyone and you have to prioritise what things you wish to spend them on.