Page 128 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130 LastLast
Results 3,811 to 3,840 of 3900

Thread: What are you watching?

I think if they took such issues seriously on that show Dan would never see the light of day again.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Probably true--though at the end of that episode, he realizes that coerced consent isn't sufficient for him and makes him uncomfortable, so I guess that's something?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I've been watching Reverie, another one of those cancelled-after-a-season shows that come as part of my cable TV contract. Tech company sells lucid dreams; company also employs a person to go into the dreams to get people out who have become trapped in their dream in various ways. It was a nice open-ended story concept, with some potentially interesting character arcs, but shaky in execution.

Curiously, in the first episode it uses the mistaken idea that "Vader" means "father" in German as a plot element. It's astonishing that the old nonsense about Darth Vader's name every had legs in the first place, let alone that it's still rattling around out there.

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I've been watching Reverie, another one of those cancelled-after-a-season shows that come as part of my cable TV contract. Tech company sells lucid dreams; company also employs a person to go into the dreams to get people out who have become trapped in their dream in various ways. It was a nice open-ended story concept, with some potentially interesting character arcs, but shaky in execution.

Curiously, in the first episode it uses the mistaken idea that "Vader" means "father" in German as a plot element. It's astonishing that the old nonsense about Darth Vader's name every had legs in the first place, let alone that it's still rattling around out there.

Grant Hutchison
    I rewatched Inception a couple of nights ago, in this slow news period, and I do like the working of that Lucid dream idea. As you say the lucid dream with another “player” is a great idea for fiction and tantalisingly close to being a reality. The Matrix take the whole even further and the series left questions to be answered. I can see how with a touch of hallucinogens one could prefer dreams to waking. ( i avoid saying reality !) or even come to question where reality lies. Some people in the floating state have lucid dreams, although I never have.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Yesterday I turned on the TV and saw a poorly done movie about an insurrection in Washington DC, unfortunately none of my favorite movie stars were starring in it. The movie seemed poorly produced and a bit too surreal to watch so I changed the channel, only to find out it was on every channel. So I decided to read a book instead, Alice In Wonderland, which seemed a bit less fantasy like.

I actually ended up watching the process of certifying the election for the first time ever. It was boring, but I felt as though I could use boring.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    I rewatched Inception a couple of nights ago, in this slow news period, and I do like the working of that Lucid dream idea.
    Yes, Nolan applied "dream logic" to great effect in that movie. Unfortunately, he continued to apply dream logic to Interstellar and Tenet, both of which would have benefited from a dose of logical logic.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I actually ended up watching the process of certifying the election for the first time ever. It was boring, but I felt as though I could use boring.
    So did I. I never really even knew about that process, until now.
    As above, so below

I watched it too, up to the second objection debate. I didnít see the final bit. Astonishingly repetitive and long winded - I sat there thinking of ways to do the same thing but much faster.

Also, I changed channels part way through. I had been watching CNN but I really donít like the current fad of editorializing newscasters. Bring in speaking heads if you must, but I want the newscasters themselves to maintain objectivity as much as possible. When they freely mix news and personal opinion I have to work to decide if I am hearing well supported objective material or hot air.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I watched on C-SPAN because I wanted to watch the process, not the commentary.

"You can't erase icing."

I spent Wednesday mostly watching YouTube videos! Including a good many old ones. Avoiding the news, of course.

One was a race from the current America's Cup preliminaries in NZ. The boats are weird, the racing was dull. Bring back displacement hulls and spinnakers!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Tonight trying to stay up late enough to see Alex Trebeks last Jeopardy episode.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Tonight trying to stay up late enough to see Alex Trebeks last Jeopardy episode.
    I haven't watched one since he died. I just can't.

This morning, Waking Before The Kids Are Up Theatre presents Chimes at Midnight. Which I suspect would bore them more than anything. I'm not a huge Falstaff fan, so it's missing part of its appeal to me, but it is beautifully filmed.

"You can't erase icing."

i recorded the first two episodes of The Watch from BBC America last week but haven't watched it. Should I? Has anyone seen it? I cringe every time I see a preview with Angua as a waif.

I'm watching Bills Colts game. I am somewhat nervous because Colt's Coach Frank Reich played a game simply called "The Comeback". He was the Bills back up quarterback and boy, was that an epic comeback. I don't mean "epic" like a superhero movie, I mean "epic" like The Iliad. I've never seen a football player play so hard.
    Solfe

The Boon Companion and I watched Dunkirk tonight. A moving evocation of the event, we thought.
    (But if Spitfires had been able to carry that much ammunition, with that shallow a glide angle, the Battle of Britain would have been a pushover.)

Grant Hutchison

Re-watching the old Justice League DCAU. The majority of it has held up pretty well.

I caught a bit of the recent Justice League this w/e (where Batman forms the League and reanimates Superman). There's a scene in it where Wonder Woman warns him about bringing Supe back to life and how he wants to do it because he feels guilty about his death. Batman chides her about her feelings for Steve Trevor's death and she knocks him into a wall.

Her reaction takes on new meaning after seeing WW84.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

In a few minutes the first episode of the remake of All Creatures Great and Small on masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    i recorded the first two episodes of The Watch from BBC America last week but haven't watched it. Should I? Has anyone seen it? I cringe every time I see a preview with Angua as a waif.
    I got about halfway through the first episode. Flashbacks within a flashback, too much thrown at the viewer at once, very thick accents. Above all, not very like Pratchett's watch at all.

Fred
    Hey, you! "It's" with an apostrophe means "it is" or "it has." "Its" without an apostrophe means "belongs to it."

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
    -- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684

Earth's sole legacy will be a very slight increase (0.01%) of the solar metallicity.

Yesterday morning, I watched Lady Jane. The history is so-so in places and downright bad in others, but it's still a lovely and sympathetic portrait of one of the few prominent figures I really feel sorry for from that era. One of the others, who was her sister-in-law, never appears in the movie.

"You can't erase icing."

I guess it Ken Jennings for now on Jeopardy.

Not the news. I'm burned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Not the news. I'm burned out.
    I’ve rather liked a number of news items in recent days. I’ve laughed a number of times, one time I laughed so hard I had tears. It’s a real change of pace.

What I’m not watching are apocalypse movies or shows. I was tired of them years ago, and now I’m just fed up.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I saw a couple of trailers and one teaser (after Doctor Who special) and.. I can't nope any nopier than nope. Nope.

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Forget what you've been told in the past
    Electrons are free
    (Plasma!) Fourth state of matter
    Not gas, not liquid, not solid"

-They Might Be Giants, "Why Does The Sun Really Shine?"

lonelybirder.org

We're watching Call Me Kat, which is a probably will keep watching version of the AWESOME British show, Miranda (Miranda Hart is an Exec. Producer). I generally like Mayim Bialik's performances, but in this she (and the others, even Swoozie Kurtz) seems a bit forced. Acting is best when it doesn't look like acting, and there's a lot of evident acting in this show, in my opinion. But it's early in its premiere season, so I'll give it a go. I expect it's a better show to those who haven't seen Miranda. I've seen that show in its entirety at least 4 times.

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Forget what you've been told in the past
    Electrons are free
    (Plasma!) Fourth state of matter
    Not gas, not liquid, not solid"

-They Might Be Giants, "Why Does The Sun Really Shine?"

lonelybirder.org

I tried. I gave up.

Even if i could shift my mental images of the characters from the books...it just didnít work.

I made it part way through the first episode of The Watch, may try again later. Call Me Kat has promise but it does look forced. I am enjoying Mr. Mayor. Ted Danson is great (the character is a riff on Michael from The Good Place) and Holly Hunter is wonderful. The two play well together. The supporting cast is solid. The humour is about "a half bubble off plumb." (Everybody's crazy.)

The latest episode had celebrities playing "themselves" at a town hall meeting and obviously having fun doing so. David Spade and Andie McDowell were very good but Chrissy Teigen was superb! "He's always singing. All day long, he won't stop singing. And you do know his last name's not really Legend, don't you?"
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I need to at least start watching The Watch just to see whether to record it again on Sunday.