Page 120 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121 LastLast
Results 3,571 to 3,600 of 3612

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    I've watched a few episodes as well. John Malkovich surprisingly adds a lot of dry humor to the show.
    Ironically the current Chief of Space Operations more closely resembles Malkovich's character than Steve Carell's.

Off and on I watch Captain Disillusion videos on Youtube:

https://m.youtube.com/user/CaptainDisillusion/videos

He doesnít have a regular schedule and videos can be months apart. The theme is that he covers video tricks (often debunking paranormal claims) and adds a lot of interesting detail about technique. He does this with a lot of his own special effects and humor - there is obviously a lot of work put into these. He plays a character (sort of superhero like) so donít be surprised at the silver on his face. It generally isnít a big part of the videos and is played up humorously.

Anyway, his latest is about a video of claimed UFOs around the moon and includes the BA as a guest. The BA doesnít actually have that much time on the video - CD does a skit where he cuts off Phil to discuss clues why the UFO video is likely fake, and Phil eventually discusses an easier and more sure way to tell it fake. Phil does a good job of looking indignant but it was obviously scripted. Here is a link:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=voC0CcwDNUM

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Not watching it now but will be able to watch season 2 of Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist. I signed a petition to make this happen so, yay!
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Graham and I watched Picard and quite enjoyed it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

My wife gets on me for watching replays of old football games. She says it's a waste of time to watch a game that was played 30 years ago. So the other day I topped that. MLB was showing the 1952 World Series, Yankees v Dodgers … Brooklyn Dodgers … so I watched part of Games 6 and 7. Mantle, Berra, Reese, Rizzuto, Robinson, Snider … wow.

That's almost 68 years.

One thing that struck me about the telecast was they didn't display the box score in one corner of the screen. The announcer (The Old Redhead himself, Red Barber) had to call it out to remind you.
    Last edited by Jim; 2020-Jun-16 at 05:38 PM. Reason: corrected year
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Just watched the BBC drama documentary about The Salisbury Poisonings. Very recommended. The spy aspect was hardly mentioned at all; mostly we saw the public health and police systems trying to cope with a health risk that required responders to use the right kind of personal protection equipment correctly - and the consequences of a failure to do so. Very resonant today.

I was also very impressed with the sympathy the writers showed for the person who died, something that has been missing elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by eburacum45 View Post
    Just watched the BBC drama documentary about The Salisbury Poisonings. Very recommended. The spy aspect was hardly mentioned at all; mostly we saw the public health and police systems trying to cope with a health risk that required responders to use the right kind of personal protection equipment correctly - and the consequences of a failure to do so. Very resonant today.

I was also very impressed with the sympathy the writers showed for the person who died, something that has been missing elsewhere.
    Yes, excellent. A second "highly recommended" from me. And of course it's always a joy to see the now-legendary 123m spire of Salisbury Cathedral.

Grant Hutchison

Indeed. Curiously enough, I'd visited Salisbury myself in 2017, and recognised most of the locations - but I did not retain the exact elevation of the spire, for some unknown reason.

Still working our way through Taskmaster. We're on the last series (9), and it has slowly become clear that some of the contestants are keeping up their stage personas (Greg Davies and Alex Horne as hosts certainly are), but some I think you see their more genuine personalities now and then. The troublesome part of any of these shows is when there's some sort of expressed disrespect or even implied violence against animals. Greg Davies has said at least a couple of times that he despises cats, for example. And this series there was a joke made at the expense of on contestant's (David Baddiel) now deceased cat (he "brought in" a peanut butter jar of the cat's ashes). To that end, Davies was unexpectedly sympathetic but I think it was more to poke fun at Baddiel than anything else. I felt that crossed a bit of a line for me; it was disrespectful. I can never really get behind dead pet/animal humor.

CJSF
    "Off went his rocket at the speed of light
    Flying so fast there was no day or night
    Messing around with the fabric of time
    He knows who's guilty 'fore there's even a crime

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett
    There's more than we were taught"

-They Might Be Giants, "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space)"

lonelybirder.org

What's wrong with despising cats? I'm more of a dog-despiser than a cat-despiser, but I'll fight to the death to defend the right of a person to freely despise cats. They are kind of despicable, after all--which is what I like about them. In small doses.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    What's wrong with despising cats? I'm more of a dog-despiser than a cat-despiser, but I'll fight to the death to defend the right of a person to freely despise cats. They are kind of despicable, after all--which is what I like about them. In small doses.

Grant Hutchison
    Hm. OK... I meant in the actually hate and would laugh or at the lease not care one fig if it (or any animal, if we are still sort of extrapolating) were tortured and/or killed. Otherwise, I am not really talking about how you seem to mean it, I think? Sort of??

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Hm. OK... I meant in the actually hate and would laugh or at the lease not care one fig if it (or any animal, if we are still sort of extrapolating) were tortured and/or killed.
    So this person has actually said that they would laugh if they saw a cat being tortured or killed?

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    So this person has actually said that they would laugh if they saw a cat being tortured or killed?

Grant Hutchison
    Not in this instance. I was probably putting more of my extended thoughts on the screen than I intended. The comments and attitudes got me thinking along those lines. But in the case of Taskmaster, no. No one laughed or said they would at the torture of animals.

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

I can never really get behind dead pet/animal humor.
    Not even the Dead Puppies arenít much fun song?

(Many years ago I used to listen to Dr. Demento and this was one of the songs regularly played.)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Not in this instance. I was probably putting more of my extended thoughts on the screen than I intended. The comments and attitudes got me thinking along those lines. But in the case of Taskmaster, no. No one laughed or said they would at the torture of animals.
    OK. That would certainly have been deeply unpleasant.
    But it's certainly possible to thoroughly despise a human being without wishing them harm, and I think that probably applies to the behaviour of pet animals, too. I've never felt the sensation when watching or interacting with wild animals, but (if you're not a pet person) there's something intermittently quite disturbing about the whole co-evolved mind-control thing that pets do--the sense that they are attempting to manipulate your emotions is quite strong (because, after all, that's what they're doing), and I'm aware of that behaviour triggering an emotion in me that is exactly the same as what I feel when a human tries to do the same thing. This is, of course, not rational--but that's emotional responses for you. So I do understand why people might actually want nothing to do with cats and their mind games.

Grant Hutchison

I suppose there's a difference though in feeling uncomfortable and therefore "disliking" what an animal seems to be doing versus chuckling or shrugging off if one comes to harm and saying, "I hate them anyway". Before we devolve this into something triggering or overtly emotional, perhaps we best leave it here. Thank you for expounding on your thoughts about pets, Grant. If I am remembering the Dr. Demento thing correctly, I'd say that falls firmly in the disrespectful realm for me, and I don't want to discuss that any further.

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

If I am remembering the Dr. Demento thing correctly, I'd say that falls firmly in the disrespectful realm for me, and I don't want to discuss that any further.
    Huh. I donít get it, but okay. My concept of disrespect would be to make a joke to someone about their deceased (especially if recent) pet. That type of joke could be hurtful and wouldnít be something Iíd support. An absurd little song about fictional dead puppies strikes me as too much of an abstraction to be disrespectful or otherwise objectionable.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Getting back on topic, I'm watching Summer School. Summer tradition to me and not a bad start to my day. I'd honestly be watching The Lost Boys out of respect for its director, Joel Schumacher, who just died--but I can't find my copy.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

We watched HBO's first episode of Perry Mason yesterday, definitely not the Mason we grew up with. One episode was enough, it covers his life in the early 1930's before he becomes a lawyer.
    Jim, Spacedudette is also glad to see that Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist was renewed.

We're probably finishing Bloodline tonight (yes, we're late to that party). Season 1 was great, Season 2 was OK, but Season 3 has been wobbly to say the least. It'll be interesting to see how it wraps up. Not sure what we'll be watching next. We've started Tales from the Loop but it needs to pick up the pace in the next couple of episodes; there is a lot of content to choose from on the streaming services so we can afford to be picky.

I should be doing something positive like writing something, or trying to figure how to get water to the garden, cleaning out the barn or woodshed, but just catching up on Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, just the uplifting stuff you need about now.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    We're probably finishing [URL="https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3520702/"]We've started Tales from the Loop but it needs to pick up the pace in the next couple of episodes; there is a lot of content to choose from on the streaming services so we can afford to be picky.
    Yeah, I tried watching two or three episodes and found them to be deeply unsatisfying, so havenít bothered with more. Apparently they are all supposed to be based on interpretations of some odd artwork, though with some commonality in background (set in a certain town, for instance). It strikes me as a convoluted way to write stories. I guess they were trying for weirdly interesting, but they failed on ďinterestingĒ and the stories werenít that weird either.

One story is about some technology that allows people to speed up so that they can do things while the rest of the world is almost stopped. Itís an old concept and the characters did nothing that I found interesting, so it was a waste of time for me. Another is a time travel story and again I would have been happier not bothering to watch.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

We've started watching "Dark" on Netflix. Don't know if it's been discussed here before nor not - pretty generic title for doing a forum search!

We've watched about 7 episodes so far. We're really enjoying it, but I don't know how they can stretch it out over multiple seasons.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    We watched HBO's first episode of Perry Mason yesterday, definitely not the Mason we grew up with. One episode was enough, it covers his life in the early 1930's before he becomes a lawyer.
    I keep getting told it's more like the books than the Raymond Burr TV show, I can only assume by people who haven't actually read the books. Which I have. I'll admit I haven't seen the new show, but the way it's described doesn't sound much like the books to me.

"You can't erase icing."

^^^ I haven't read the Mason books, but the show starts off with full frontal nudity and Oral everything, including pie. Mason is a freelance private eye down on his luck.

My spouse and I watched School of Rock again, but the first time in a while. It's a little bit sobering to realize the movie is before smart phones, the ongoing (until the pandemic ...ish...) plague of school shootings and the "security" fallout thereof, and widespread HD.

I shake my head every time I see Jack Black on how some of his projects are so funny despite themselves and how some are just terrible.

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    ^^^ I haven't read the Mason books, but the show starts off with full frontal nudity and Oral everything, including pie. Mason is a freelance private eye down on his luck.
    Yeah, none of that's in the books.

"You can't erase icing."

Just watched Rise of Skywalker.

OK. Iím done.

Strange Evidence and some Weather Channel docos
    I must admit that the human interest element in storm stories doesnít interest meójust the phenomena itself please.
    Tornadoes were once rare fare on screen.

As camera-phones have come aboutówe may yet see good ball lightning footage.

It took pandemic self-isolation and some alone time at home, but I am finally watching "Avatar: The Last Airbender" - the animated series, not the film. I have to say, despite some problems with pacing (these are ~20 minute episodes, after all) and a few as yet unanswered cultural questions, it's enjoyable. I'm partway through the second season, and I am suspicious that this is just as much Zuko's story as Aang's, though every time I think he's in a redemption arc, he does something fundamental that is just bad or hateful. There are some likable "baddies" in this show, but Iroh makes the least sense. He seems to have a good idea of the need for balance and has a moral center, yet he was a general for the Fire Nation, and he seems to have no qualms about what they have been doing while conquering the world.

Some fun in "discovering" some of the voice actors...

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org