Page 115 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,450 of 3570

Thread: What are you watching?

We're midway through season 2 of The Crown, and I wonder how closely they've gotten the protagonists down. Prince Phillip (besides whatever dalliances he had, hinted at earlier in the show) is really starting to grow on me. He's sarcastically funny and even with his aristocratic background, somewhat more reality based as Matt Smith plays him. But Princess Margaret is by far the most tragic character. It's easy to blame her, if you've never had people in your life with mental illness. I don't know if she was mentally ill or not, but the behavior rings true and close to home. But I haven't yet read a good biography on her. Can anyone recommend one?

CJSF
    "Off went his rocket at the speed of light
    Flying so fast there was no day or night
    Messing around with the fabric of time
    He knows who's guilty 'fore there's even a crime

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett
    There's more than we were taught"

-They Might Be Giants, "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space)"

lonelybirder.org

Episode 1 of "The Prisoner" starring Patrick McGoohan - 1967. Suitably paranoid and creepy for today's climate.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Episode 1 of "The Prisoner" starring Patrick McGoohan - 1967. Suitably paranoid and creepy for today's climate.
    And filmed in Portmeirion where I got married.!
    Last edited by profloater; 2020-Apr-01 at 09:53 AM.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I have The Prisoner on DVD. I am kind of burned out on it now - it is one of a few series I have seen many times. Years ago, there was a nearby PBS station that had after-episode discussions with a lot of background details and interpretation, which made it a lot more interesting for me.

I found The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. on IMDB tv. It is the first time I have watched it since the original airing. It is a lot like the Wild Wild West, a not-very-serious Western with science fiction elements. I recall it being a lot of fun, but getting less interesting as the series went on. They had one season of 27 episodes.

IMDB Tv also has Blade runner 2049, giving me a second chance to warch it.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    And filmed in Portmeirion where I got married.!
    I hoped you used a Mini Moke as the Bridal Car.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I hoped you used a Mini Moke as the Bridal Car.
    Oh yes! In the rooms there they play a closed loop of the series. We would be going there for our anniversary but of course we cannot this time.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I love The Prisoner. The opening credits still give me shivers, and somewhere I still have a Number 6 penny-farthing badge I bought in the legendary science fiction bookshop, Dark They Were And Golden Eyed.
    It's a shame about the last two episodes--opinion seems to differ about whether McGoohan simply had no idea how to end it, produced a botched up ending in a fit of pique, or planned a surrealist ending all along.

Grant Hutchison

Loved "The Prisoner" back in the 60's, I'd order (or cook) a pizza each week to eat while watching it, my personal routine during a time when typical tv shows were lacking good entertainment for the most part. I can still hear the theme song playing in my head even though I haven't seen an episode since back then.

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    We're midway through season 2 of The Crown, and I wonder how closely they've gotten the protagonists down. Prince Phillip (besides whatever dalliances he had, hinted at earlier in the show) is really starting to grow on me. He's sarcastically funny and even with his aristocratic background, somewhat more reality based as Matt Smith plays him. But Princess Margaret is by far the most tragic character. It's easy to blame her, if you've never had people in your life with mental illness. I don't know if she was mentally ill or not, but the behavior rings true and close to home. But I haven't yet read a good biography on her. Can anyone recommend one?

CJSF
    Oh dear. And now that I've seen the next episode, maybe I don't like him so much.

Re: The Prisoner. I remember starting to watch the series with my wife, but I don't recall if it was rental DVD/Netflix DVD or if it was streaming on Netflix at one point and then was taken off. It was weird and interesting, but apparently not enough to pursue continuing. Maybe I should re-start it. It does disappoint me that it must not really end definitively, based on what's been said. That's a hard sell for the wife and I always prefer an ending, too.

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

Vivarium. Nicely done disturbing atmosphere snd ramping strangeness. But maybe a movie about two people who are unable to escape from their house, one of whom is developing a nagging cough, wasn't ideal lockdown viewing.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Vivarium. Nicely done disturbing atmosphere snd ramping strangeness. But maybe a movie about two people who are unable to escape from their house, one of whom is developing a nagging cough, wasn't ideal lockdown viewing.

Grant Hutchison
    After reading a plot synopisis I think a nagging cough is the LEAST of their worries!!!

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

My wife and I are fans of the Harry Bosch books from Michael Connelly, so with a free trial Amazon Prime account we've been binge-watching the Bosch series, and enjoying it quite a bit. The screenwriters, including Connelly, munged content from several of the books but it works quite well. That said neither of us are thrilled with the choice of Titus Welliver as Harry. Oh, he does a fine job and no complaints. But Welliver doesn't really fit the visual we have when reading about the character. Similar to when 5' 7" Tom Cruise was chosen to play 6' 5" Jack Reacher. What?

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    My wife and I are fans of the Harry Bosch books from Michael Connelly, so with a free trial Amazon Prime account we've been binge-watching the Bosch series, and enjoying it quite a bit. The screenwriters, including Connelly, munged content from several of the books but it works quite well. That said neither of us are thrilled with the choice of Titus Welliver as Harry. Oh, he does a fine job and no complaints. But Welliver doesn't really fit the visual we have when reading about the character. Similar to when 5' 7" Tom Cruise was chosen to play 6' 5" Jack Reacher. What?
    It's amazing what casting can do for adaptations. Despite some obvious omissions, the Harry Potter casts worked pretty well with the books (though it wasn't until the last 2 movies that any of the on-screen casts' appearances began to replace my head-canon, and that never completely happened). There was a YA series of books, starting with "Beautiful Creatures" that my wife and I read to each other. When the movie for the first book was announced, we were excited. But when the trailers hit the media and we saw the cast and costuming, we were both totally put off. And so it seems was the general public. The movie tanked and that was that.

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

Anyone else watching the EPIX Channel version of "War of The Worlds"? I'd like to hear what you thought of the season's cliffhanger? I'm not sure what to think about it unless (spoilers after this point).........

...... the human-like figure aboard the alien ship hooked up to what appeared to be life support is the last of the survivors of a dying civilization which may have originated on Earth eons ago? It appears that our ragtag military forces which survived the original attack are fighting back and possibly winning. Did the Arecibo type message we sent out contain images of our violent nature or only music, butterflies, and puppy dog tails without any info on how we wage war? Did the aliens get the impression that we were easy pickings?

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    If you enjoy audiobooks, you might prefer Titus Welliver as the narrator of Robert B. Parker's western series (Appaloosa, Resolution, Blue-Eyed Devil, etc.) I love Welliver's cognac voice.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    If you enjoy audiobooks, you might prefer Titus Welliver as the narrator of Robert B. Parker's western series (Appaloosa, Resolution, Blue-Eyed Devil, etc.) I love Welliver's cognac voice.
    Yes, I can see where his narration would be very good. We've listened to a couple of books by Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) which tell the stories of private detective Cormoran Strike. The books are narrated - actually performed is a better word - by actor Robert Glenister. To my American ear he seems to do a very good job of speaking a range of British accents, tones and idiom, both male and female.

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Oh dear. And now that I've seen the next episode, maybe I don't like him so much.

CJSF

Regarding Prince Phillip, a former poster at my other forum had met him a couple of times. He didn't like him at all.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Regarding Prince Phillip, a former poster at my other forum had met him a couple of times. He didn't like him at all.
    We finished season three. I realize they have to hop things up a bit for TV and it isn't a documentary but if they have even the broad strokes right, one suddenly becomes a little more appreciative of Charles' POV vis a vis the debacle of his marriage to and divorce from Diana. Regardless, Princess Margaret is just painful to watch and Lord Snowden as presented is the quintessential narcissist. Price Phillip seems a wholly unlikable man.

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

Prince Philip, guys. One "l".
    You can still be hanged in the UK for misspelling the name of a member of the royal family. That was the real reason we had to get rid of Meghan Markle--too many hangings taking place because people were forgetting the weird "h" in her first name. It just wasn't sustainable.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Prince Philip, guys. One "l".{snip}

Grant Hutchison
    As it should be.

Phil, the other, slightly more participatory one.

I was watching a video the other day about the Royal Navy's anti-submarine tactics school during WWII, which made heavy use of war gaming. The YouTube guy said the only known living person to have taken the course was "Phil the Greek".

The Goodies was a big part of forming my sense of humour, I think.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...rus-agent-says

Just finished The IT Crowd. Excellant. Got funnier, then stopped. British T.V.

Started Locke and Key. I'm over names designed for puns/coincidence, but the show is great. A little bit Buffy, but feels "movie quality" each episode.

Community has popped up on N.Z. Netflix. The last seasons suffered from schedule bouncing here so didn't see all episodes; was a great show that deserves to be re-watched from S1.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    The Goodies was a big part of forming my sense of humour, I think.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...rus-agent-says

Just finished The IT Crowd. Excellant. Got funnier, then stopped. British T.V.

Started Locke and Key. I'm over names designed for puns/coincidence, but the show is great. A little bit Buffy, but feels "movie quality" each episode.

Community has popped up on N.Z. Netflix. The last seasons suffered from schedule bouncing here so didn't see all episodes; was a great show that deserves to be re-watched from S1.
    I enjoyed watching, and listening to on radio, Tim Brooke-Taylor for about 50 years. Another bit of sad news among so much other sad news.

The IT crowd was certainly one of those shows that knew to stop at the top of its game.

Yes, I also didn't get to see all of the final series of Community for a while due to the local TV Channel throwing it all around the Schedule.

OK. So we finally saw Knives Out, and I quite enjoyed it. But, I have a big question that maybe someone who has seen the movie can explain for me. Spoilers ahead if you haven't seen it yet.

At the start of the movie, Marta goes into Harlan's study with his morning tray and he's not there. So she opens the "secret" door up to his attic room and is shocked ... shocked! ... to see him lying dead from a slashed throat. Then we go through the marvelously over-complicated plot that is the movie, but as we learn what happened, we see that Marta was there when he cut his throat, convinced he was going to die from an overdose of pain medicine (which we learn did not happen). I kept waiting for a twist ending where Harlan was not dead at all, given the discrepancy between the start of the film, and the actual order of events. Did I miss something?

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

As I recall it wasn't the nurse Marta who first found the body but his housekeeper Fran.

Yeah, I'd have to watch it again, but it definitely isn't Marta.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I just re-watched and you are right! At the start I (obviously) wasn't familiar with the characters and only was looking back at the end of it. Thanks.

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

I just finished watching Amazon's online rental showing of Disney's 1959 movie Third Man on the Mountain. The picture quality was squeaky clean, while Disney's issue of it on DVD nearly twenty years ago reportedly was just a dub from a grainy, scratched, dirty print. The charge in addition to Amazon's $13 monthly Prime fee was less than it costs to go to a movie at a theater these days. I can watch it as many times as I wish for another 45 hours. I certainly give them a thumbs up, but how did they do it?

I just watched the Hubble at 30 documentary.
    There was a composite shot—zooming in towards the Eagle Nebula—but off to the left was a structure that favored a seahorse that I thought more interesting...I wonder what that was...

I also watched a TCM documentary on animation.

I watched that last night as well. I was a bit put off that right at the beginning they just HAD to show animated star fields, but it got better. Story Musgrave's "Hi Sweety! Love You!" was great.

In the "not watching" department, on Saturday my wife found a stage production of "Phantom of the Opera" from the Albert Hall on YouTube, on the cable box. She wanted me to come in and watch it with her, but I was "busy". So then we tried to find it yesterday and couldn't. Last night I found I can get it from Amazon Prime so today I'll haul the laptop into the bedroom, hook it up to the TV, and we can watch it. I also found our DVD of the movie from a few years ago.