Page 109 of 115 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,270 of 3429

Thread: What are you watching?

Right now watching bits of Presidents at War, did you know Nixon ran a hamburger stand in the Solomon Islands.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Started watching: Nobody's Looking

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11131980/

So far, enjoying it very much. A moment of laugh until I almost puke was just what I needed!

Kind of dramedy, but I like the pacing; the drama isn't dreary.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Saw the second half of Doctor Who, Ada was a nice touch, plus "Don't Panic". I wonder if that was reference to Douglas Adams and The Hitchhikers Guide in which the first two words is "Don't Panic. "

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    ... ended up missing the second half of Doctor Who, it will air again in a few hours. Anyone want to ruin it for and tell me all about it.
    Sure, what don't you want to know? Lessee, we have three real historical figures, Nazis, and laser guns! Plus Graham tap dances Ö sort of.

Have I said yet how much I love this Doctor? Just the proper mix of capable and daft.

General question: Has the Doctor pulled that "Forget about me" trick before?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Veronica Mars reboot, completely shocked and happy. One of the opening lines this town doesn't need an excorism it needs an enema.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post

General question: Has the Doctor pulled that "Forget about me" trick before?
    I was wondering that myself. Back in Series 1 (I think) he had Mickey erasing him from the internet with a virus provided by The Doctor but that's not the same.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I saw The Rise of Skywalker. I liked it, but maybe in the age of CGI we could default back to "You can just tell me about it, you don't have to show me". Just a little balance, so you don't force it.
    Solfe

Because my wife is a Patrick Stewart fan, we had to watch Star Trek: Picard, so despite my over-the-top proclamations to the contrary, we are CBS All Access subscribers now (eehhh). So of course, that means ST: Discovery! Which we started watching.

Who approved the production design of the show?!?!! It's not just that the (alleged) canon has been really mucked with, it barely even LOOKS like Trek. Or SOUNDS like Trek. This isn't just about the WTH reinvention (WHOLE CLOTH) of the Klingons. It's just all wrong! But somehow, my wife (again, an avid PatStew and TNG nut) LIKES IT. So we'll keep watching. Maybe it's just 1st season stuff and by the end and season 2, we get things settled in?

Maybe?

Picard was much better, though I have a few qualms.

CJSF
    "Off went his rocket at the speed of light
    Flying so fast there was no day or night
    Messing around with the fabric of time
    He knows who's guilty 'fore there's even a crime

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett
    There's more than we were taught"

-They Might Be Giants, "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space)"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Because my wife is a Patrick Stewart fan, we had to watch Star Trek: Picard, so despite my over-the-top proclamations to the contrary, we are CBS All Access subscribers now (eehhh). So of course, that means ST: Discovery! Which we started watching.

Who approved the production design of the show?!?!! It's not just that the (alleged) canon has been really mucked with, it barely even LOOKS like Trek. Or SOUNDS like Trek. This isn't just about the WTH reinvention (WHOLE CLOTH) of the Klingons. It's just all wrong! But somehow, my wife (again, an avid PatStew and TNG nut) LIKES IT. So we'll keep watching. Maybe it's just 1st season stuff and by the end and season 2, we get things settled in?

Maybe?

Picard was much better, though I have a few qualms.

CJSF
    RE: Discovery - The second half of Season 1 is much better than the first half, and the second season even better than the first.

RE: Picard - I enjoyed the first episode, but I am also a little worried, due to some comments made by Stewart.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

I like the first episode of Picard.

Yeah, how dare they reinvent the Klingons ... again?

I like Discovery. I like Picard. I'm sure there will be some canon fodder (see what I did there?) but as long as they don't … oh, I dunno … blow up Vulcan, I can roll with it.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Lately I've frequently found myself going through the cable system's channel guide and clicking on the Discovery Channel's What on Earth. Mostly because it's kind of hilarious.
    They'll start with a satellite picture of something strange. I mean STRANGE! STRANGE! And then have a series of experts (Oooh, PhD!) look at the picture and WHAT COULD IT POSSIBLY BE???!!!
    One today was a D-shaped arrangement in the Arabian desert. What is it? ARE ALIENS TRYING TO COMMUNICATE WITH US? ALIENS????
    No, it's a camel racing track in Dubai. Which uses robotic jockeys controlled by camel owners following along in SUV's. Which is kind of weirdly cool as it is.

Anyhow, check out the show. Like I say, it's kind of hilarious because nearly all of the explanations are so mundane.

I've been watching through Zorro again. A friend of mine does a project where he watches one episode of a TV show he hasn't seen before a day and then does a sketch of each episode. Currently I'm writing the essays for his Zorro project. They used to air the series on the Disney Channel when I was a kid, so every episode is at least vaguely familiar. I've been consistently impressed by the production values and the casting, this viewing through, which I wasn't expecting!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I've been watching through Zorro again. A friend of mine does a project where he watches one episode of a TV show he hasn't seen before a day and then does a sketch of each episode. Currently I'm writing the essays for his Zorro project. They used to air the series on the Disney Channel when I was a kid, so every episode is at least vaguely familiar. I've been consistently impressed by the production values and the casting, this viewing through, which I wasn't expecting!
    I used to watch that show when it was on black-and-white TV in the late 1950s or early 1960s, not sure which. Original show, of course.
    Do good work. óVirgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    They Guy Williams one? I loved that as a kid!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Yeah, how dare they reinvent the Klingons ... again?

I like Discovery. I like Picard. I'm sure there will be some canon fodder (see what I did there?) but as long as they don't … oh, I dunno … blow up Vulcan, I can roll with it.
    There is something that the Klingons can't even conquer and that is lawyers.

Well the face of Boe is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The same applied to me. I was always especially fond of Sergeant Garcia (Henry Calvin) his lack of menace and love of wine and food struck a chord with me. Looking at Wikipedia I see that he even sung a duet with Annette Funicello on the show! As a bit of a fond memory, for oldies like me, here is some of him singing, "dancing" with Annette and overacting gloriously with Ricardo Montalban - perhaps this where Montalban developed the ability to play against that great over-actor William Shatner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mqnDstlweo

Spoilers!!

Spoilers!!
    Wow, that was a good one!

There is something that the Klingons can't even conquer and that is lawyers.
    Eh?

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    I used to watch that show when it was on black-and-white TV in the late 1950s or early 1960s, not sure which. Original show, of course.
    It aired in the '50s; several of the actors on it had been in movie versions of the show by that point. There are a lot of people with heavy careers in Westerns and even a few stuntmen (Hal Needham as a ranchero!) in the series.

So did I! Turns out I love it as an adult, too!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Eh?

CJSF
    The main reason that the klingons got redesigned for Discovery is that Paramount owns the rights to Star Trek and for CBS to make a show there had to be at least 25% difference between old trek and it.

The main reason that the klingons got redesigned for Discovery is that Paramount owns the rights to Star Trek and for CBS to make a show there had to be at least 25% difference between old trek and it.
    I had heard that, too, back when Discovery first started, but I believe it's not correct. Paramount is a subsidiary of CBS, anyway.

How can you tell if a Klingon is 25% different from another Klingon? Is there some sort of isoklingonometer?

Grant Hutchison

That seems.. weird.. but they covered the 25% with the implausible Mushroom Drive alone, for goodness sake. I really don't understand the convoluted IP with this franchise. It benefits NO ONE to hold things back or manage them differently. I don't think it's even as clear cut as Paramount being a simple subsidiary of CBS. Didn't some merger or acquisition only happen last year anyway? Probably don't answer that for reasons.

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    How can you tell if a Klingon is 25% different from another Klingon? Is there some sort of isoklingonometer?

Grant Hutchison
    In the Trekverse, such a thing could be invoked!

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    I had heard that, too, back when Discovery first started, but I believe it's not correct. Paramount is a subsidiary of CBS, anyway.
    They split apart in 2006 when Viacom broke up but now there are back together, but when the series started they were separate.

They split apart in 2006 when Viacom broke up but now there are back together, but when the series started they were separate.
    Yes, but I believe CBS retained the TV series, as well as the overall franchise rights. Paramount owned the ten existing films ("TMP" through "Nemesis"), and that's it. Unless I'm misremembering, CBS had to authorize Paramount's production of the Chris Pine films.

Bottom line, I'm pretty sure that even at the time CBS first produced "Discovery", they owned all the rights to the original series.

These kinds of rights are so confusing, though. When Universal did a reboot of "The Bionic Woman" a decade or so ago, Jaime Sommers was the only character from the original they could use. Steve Austin, Oscar Goldman, and Dr. Rudy Wells were all created by Martin Caidin for his book, and Universal had allowed their rights to the book to lapse. Because Jaime Sommers was created by Universal for the TV show, they still had the rights to her.

But when Picard says it is the dreams aren't the problem but the waking up is, I kind of understand that of late.