Page 73 of 74 FirstFirst ... 236371727374 LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,190 of 2193

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Well, it could be me.
    What, specifically, bothers you about a turn towards the camera? Did it break the fourth wall for you? I just watched the clip, and while he seems to turn toward the camera, I don't see him looking into it.

CJSF
    "I found my mind on the ground below. I was looking down, it was looking back.
    I was in the sky, all dressed in black.
    See the constellation ride across the sky. No cigar, no lady on his arm.
    Just a guy made of dots and lines."
    -They Might Be Giants, "See The Constellation"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Since I've been watching "Star Trek" on its 50th anniversary dates, I figured I'd better watch Star Wars on its 40th last night.

Still a pretty dang good movie.
    I really should watch Star Wars one of these days.

Nahhh!

Why aren't you interested?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Since I've been watching "Star Trek" on its 50th anniversary dates, I figured I'd better watch Star Wars on its 40th last night.

Still a pretty dang good movie.
    Sounds pretty logical to me.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Why aren't you interested?
    Star Wars? Actually, my little son had all the films on VHS back in those days, so I was exposed to a lot of it incidentally. However, as it seemed like kid stuff, I was never motivated to try to follow the story line, nor to watch it just for the special effects.

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    What, specifically, bothers you about a turn towards the camera? Did it break the fourth wall for you? I just watched the clip, and while he seems to turn toward the camera, I don't see him looking into it.

CJSF
    His one eye that you can see widens and looks right back at the camera. Second 27 of 28 in this link.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cassian.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	22347

When I first saw it, the first thing to spring to mind was a couple kissing, while one of them looks around for a reaction. The next time I saw it, it was more like an "oh crap" moment where Cassian did better than he expected, but now there are deadly consequences when it should be reasonable to have a better end. It is a very powerful image, because I think it reflects the viewer's mindset.

In any case, it gives me goosebumps every time.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

We just caught part of a very old episode of The Lone Ranger on one of those nostalgia channels.

The Ranger looked just right, but I thought the voice was just a bit off. Sure enough, the closing credits revealed that it was John Hart, the other Lone Ranger. He played the role for a season or two when Clayton Moore held out for more money. I'd guess that his shows are rarely seen.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Star Wars? Actually, my little son had all the films on VHS back in those days, so I was exposed to a lot of it incidentally. However, as it seemed like kid stuff, I was never motivated to try to follow the story line, nor to watch it just for the special effects.
    The fact that a wide range of adults of your acquaintance enjoy them didn't sway your opinion?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    The fact that a wide range of adults of your acquaintance enjoy them didn't sway your opinion?
    No, not quite enough. I'd have had a lot of catching up to do.

Just watching american masters of Jacques Pepin he is often asked what will be your last meal he says I don't know but it will be very, very, very long.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Just watching american masters of Jacques Pepin he is often asked what will be your last meal he says I don't know but it will be very, very, very long.
    I saw a comic strip where the prison guards were criticizing the decision to let the condemned inmate choose his own last meal. It was an all-you-can-eat buffet.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I saw a comic strip where the prison guards were criticizing the decision to let the condemned inmate choose his own last meal. It was an all-you-can-eat buffet.
    Or consider the Three Stooges exchange under similar circumstances:

"Strawberies? Strawberries won't be in season for six months."

Stooges (together): "We'll wait."

The Royle Family. I can't decide if it's funny or tragic. It seemed funnier during the first episodes. By the end of series 2 (which marks the end of the regular episodes - only Christmas specials after that), I was as often angry at them as laughing. But as I've said in a few of these threads, it could be my mental space right now.

We're getting hyped up for the final season of Orphan Black and the new season of American Ninja Warrior. The Rednose Day Celebrity Ninja Warrior from last week was great!

CJSF

lonelybirder.org

I'm wondering after seeing the ads for the latest The Mist if it is going vegan with no monsters eating the townsfolk.
    Just because you're a genius doesn't make you a smart guy

Oh yeah, and we watched an Australian Film, Girl Sleeping, last night. What an ... odd ... film. I liked it, but it was strange. Have any of you seen it? I'm curious as to what you thought of it. The obvious metaphors in it were a little heavy-handed at times, but the surreal humor was fun.

Also, it seems to have taken place in the 1970s, but the use of "Awesome" seemed more 1980s to me. Was "Awesome" in fashion down under well before the US?

CJSF

lonelybirder.org

Well, Class had it's season finale and it ended on a couple of cliffhangers. Okay, three. It held up pretty well, so I'm looking forward to it coming back. Two words: Weeping Angels.

(ETA: I just read online that a second season is iffy at this point.)

And, American Gods is up to episode six. It is very good. The acting is solid, as expected given the cast.
    Last edited by Jim; 2017-Jun-05 at 01:19 PM. Reason: ETA
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I've been watching The Arrow on Nexflix. I enjoy it, but the reality of the story is dicey.

A vigilante is a taking people out with arrows. He has a tendency of shooting people in the shoulder like "See, I didn't kill that guy. He's just down." All of this occurs in a single city. Either he is filling whole morgues or there a lot of hospital beds full of people with serious puncture wounds. Worse, all of these people have body armor, high powered rifles and other stuff that would immediately land you in jail if you were brought to the hospital like that.

They do pay a little service to reality, lots of people end up in jail or the hospital. But if the character doesn't have a name, they simply vanish.

Still, I enjoy it. The sound track is really good too.

Started American Gods last night and am enjoying it immensely. The actor is well cast, though I have to admit my brain glosses over how the character's described in the book and insists he looks like Neil Gaiman! And oh, Ian McShane. Graham likes it better than Twin Peaks, which I've been find fascinating but he can't get into.

From the library, I'm watching Waking Ned Devine, which is on the list of things I've been meaning to see for years.

"You can't erase icing."

Over the weekend we binged (sp?) season 1 of Crazyhead. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazyhead_(TV_series)

Quite a bit like a UK Buffy, updated with cellphones and Netflix (un)censorship.

We enjoyed it. Maybe not a "classic", but we'll watch season 2 if it happens.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Yes, Einstein said "It should be possible to explain the laws of physics to a barmaid", and he made some good Gedanken experiments. That doesn't mean one can simply drink a few beers, tell a story that makes 'sense', and go ask for a Nobel prize.

The Maze Runner

It's not as bad as I thought it might be; it's an okay movie if you don't use your critical thinking to question the preposterous central conceit (the maze) in the light of the reveal at the end of the movie. Pretty sure people would find a much, much more efficient and sensible way to an end under those circumstances than spending at least $100,000,000,000* on a giant mechanical maze filled with biomechanoid death machines.

*I'm basing this on the cost of the Three Gorges Dam project which, just the dam alone, cost about 10 billion dollars.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Good time old gotham town tonight.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Well, Class had it's season finale and it ended on a couple of cliffhangers. Okay, three. It held up pretty well, so I'm looking forward to it coming back. Two words: Weeping Angels.

(ETA: I just read online that a second season is iffy at this point.)
    We just watched that tonight from the DVR. I didn't tell my wife about the angels. I didn't much like the way they were used, either.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    The Maze Runner

It's not as bad as I thought it might be; it's an okay movie if you don't use your critical thinking to question the preposterous central conceit (the maze) in the light of the reveal at the end of the movie. Pretty sure people would find a much, much more efficient and sensible way to an end under those circumstances than spending at least $100,000,000,000* on a giant mechanical maze filled with biomechanoid death machines.

*I'm basing this on the cost of the Three Gorges Dam project which, just the dam alone, cost about 10 billion dollars.
    My wife asked me to pick this DVD up. It was a week later before we watched it and she had forgotten that she asked for it.

The final verdict was delivered by my daughter: "It felt much longer than Interstellar and it didn't even have Matt Damon in it. Too bad." My daughter's last three movie picks at the time were The Martian, Interstellar, and Hidden Figures over a second viewing of Rogue One. Rogue One was non-optional and did not come with a choice. We don't go to the movies much, Rogue One (twice) and Hidden Figures was atypical. I can't thin of the time we saw 2 movies in one year. All three of my children were given movie passes at school for good grades/behavior, otherwise we would not have been able to afford multiple movies.

I bet she would sort them The Martian, Hidden Figures, Interstellar, Rogue One and Maze Runner.

There was a moment of comedic confusion over The Martian and Interstellar. My daughter thought that Watney turned evil between the two movies. She quipped that he was "Hangry". Once she realized the movies had nothing to do with each other, she was amused by her theory.

One of my daughter's other amusing observations was on The Hunger Games. Towards the end, she commented that the Mirror in the first Harry Potter movie summed up the whole story of The Hunger Games. When asked to elaborate, she offered "wishing can be ironic and stupid. I don't know the word for that." Perhaps she meant "wish-fulfillment". Smart tweener.

Just probably watch a couple of cooking shows on the west coast feed of pbs than turn the tv and listen to podcast for the rest of the evening most of my shows are off for the season.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Just saw rogue one. even thou all the main characters die it is still bit of a feel good movie be cause you know where all end. Plus any day where a victory means a several of your bases are destroyed, the main researchers are dead and a couple of your biggest ships goes down, not much of a victory.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Signs you might be WAY too invested in a show: Screaming for instant death of "bad" characters in Orphan Black from minute one. Final season started last night on BBC America. Also indicative: "I'd have punched him just then," and, "Just shoot her, Art. It can't make anything WORSE."

CJSF

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Just saw rogue one. even thou all the main characters die it is still bit of a feel good movie be cause you know where all end. Plus any day where a victory means a several of your bases are destroyed, the main researchers are dead and a couple of your biggest ships goes down, not much of a victory.
    But then again, not as feel good, given the apparent inability of the Rebel Alliance/Republic to make any sort of secure situation in the DECADES after the fall of the Empire, allowing the events of The Force Awakens to unfold.

(Yeah, I know, we all understand that by the end of all this - however many movies, games, cartoons, books, and comics - it'll "work out", but by all accounts the franchise's producers are going to drag this story out for a long long long time.)

CJSF

lonelybirder.org

ARQ (another "Netflix Original Film"). It was so close to being a pretty good movie. There were just a few too many plot holes, even knowing it was lower budget sci-fi film. The ending could have been clearer, too. I don't know if the fault of that is in the writing, the direction, or the editing.

I also re-watched Europa Report. It is interesting to me how my perception and understanding of that movie has changed in the intervening years. Much of that is due to information and discussion in this forum. Aspects of the mission now make little real sense in the real world, and Corrigan's death seems exceedingly unnecessary. Even with the urgency of Blok's issues, the lack of safety protocols is inexcusable, and one wonders what sort of EVA training they had. I'm also not sure why there would be hydrazine anywhere near where they were working. That's not to say I hate the movie now. I still think it's good, but just more problematic than when I saw it the first time.

CJSF
    Last edited by CJSF; 2017-Jun-16 at 12:09 PM. Reason: some typos

lonelybirder.org

Watching Peter Pan for my Friday column. Simon's never seen it, though he has seen the dreadful Disney Junior cartoon roughly based on it.

"You can't erase icing."

I was up late last night--and I happened to turn on Coast-to-Coast AM. I'm glad I did.

What I heard was perhaps the best program they ever did. We got to hear Kenneth Johnson--of V, and the Hulk.

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/guest/...-kenneth/87058