Page 140 of 141 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141 LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,200 of 4217

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Circling back to the teaching thing, if someone had forever to teach you a skill in a time loop, they would probably be pretty angry at the end because they would/should have only the final iteration in memory. They would see that lack of mistakes and effectively perfect performance as gaslighting by the other character.
    Depends entirely on the fantasy rules the writers make for that version of "time travel", which is what a time loop as portrayed in fiction effectively is.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I started the third series of Unforgotten last night, but I'm not sure why. The show definitely appeals to me but the outcomes of the first two series were totally unsatisfactory.
    Spoilers below....

Premise of the show is to introduce the finding of a decomposed body, and figure out who it is; while in the meantime introducing four seemingly unconnected characters from all over England. Then how are they connected and whodunnit.
    First series: Dead young black guy. Characters: Rich guy in line for a title, white woman married to a black guy and coaching football, guy in a wheelchair whose wife has dementia, vicar who's been less than careful with parish funds.
    Spoiler: None of them, it was wheelchair guy's wife. With dementia. Because he's bi.

Second series: Body in a suitcase. Middle aged man. Characters: Woman with loser son, Muslim schoolteacher, gay barrister, juvenile cancer nurse. Woman with loser son turns out to be wife of (original) victim. And she's a police detective.
    Spoiler: All of them except the wife, because they've been previously abused and got together to kill each other's abusers. And the protagonist, having caught them discussing it, lets them go.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

For various reasons I have not gotten past Season 1 of The Expanse. Still in the reasonably-hard-science phase of the story.

Still having trouble with the Belter patois.

Watching Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country, isn't the fact the conspirators are from different factions working together kind of prove that the different races can work together.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Watching Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country, isn't the fact the conspirators are from different factions working together kind of prove that the different races can work together.
    Or in this case, different species.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Still having trouble with the Belter patois.
    As are the actors, who all seem to speak a different version of the accent. I gave up at the end of Season 3, primarily because the Belter characters were getting tedious and laughable simultaneously. When a fine actor like David Strathairn can't drag a convincing performance out of the accent and dialogue he's had inflicted on him, you're in trouble.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    As are the actors, who all seem to speak a different version of the accent. I gave up at the end of Season 3, primarily because the Belter characters were getting tedious and laughable simultaneously. When a fine actor like David Strathairn can't drag a convincing performance out of the accent and dialogue he's had inflicted on him, you're in trouble.
    I haven't read the books but it sure doesn't work on television. Sometimes being "true to the source" doesn't work for a different medium and audience.

We're having record heat this weekend. I have about enough focus to watch Soap on DVD.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I don't think that what happened had anything to do with proving different factions could work together, it's that they wanted the status quo. I could see that Klingon generals would have a vested interest in maintaining such, it's how a Vulcan - particularly one whom Spock held in quite high esteem - could logic herself into that position that never rang true for me with that story. My head canon has her as a Romulan.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Spent yesterday "watching" The Rockford Files. There were definitely things happening on that show.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I could see that Klingon generals would have a vested interest in maintaining such, it's how a Vulcan - particularly one whom Spock held in quite high esteem - could logic herself into that position that never rang true for me with that story. My head canon has her as a Romulan.
    Garbage in, garbage out. Logic is only as good as the assumptions it's built on.

As far as her species, I believe the original script called for Saavik, from Wrath of KHAAAAAN!.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    As far as her species, I believe the original script called for Saavik, from Wrath of KHAAAAAN!.
    I assume you're pointing this out because of Saavik being half-Romulan. That data has been included in several of the Star Trek novels, but it's not technically canon (I believe a scene was filmed for TWOK, but deleted before release, establishing the fact in dialog).

You have to wonder if, had they kept the character in TUC over Roddenberry's objections, it would have been made canon in that movie.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    I assume you're pointing this out because of Saavik being half-Romulan. That data has been included in several of the Star Trek novels, but it's not technically canon (I believe a scene was filmed for TWOK, but deleted before release, establishing the fact in dialog).

You have to wonder if, had they kept the character in TUC over Roddenberry's objections, it would have been made canon in that movie.
    Saavik is a Quantum Romulan: sometimes she is, sometimes she isn't. Depends on the observer.

I just watched The Tomorrow War on Amazon Prime. I’d call it a high budget B movie. That is, it’s clear they spent a decent amount of money to make it, but it’s best not to think about the plot too much. It was entertaining enough to watch it through, but not a second time. He wasn’t the main character, but J.K Simmons sure gets around.

The plot is that time travelers from about 30 years in the future come back to tell us they are fighting an alien invasion, but by the time they get here they’ve almost lost, and the remaining world population in their time is only in the hundreds of thousands. Just barely discussed, but the animal population is probably about as bad. The aliens remind me of Ringo’s Posleen, but probably not as smart. That is, they are tough, but not impossible to kill, eat anything (or animals at least) and reproduce very fast. Anyway, time travelers come back and want us to go to the future to help fight. The world obliges and goes on a war footing.

There is an annoying lack of information in much of the movie, like why they wouldn’t just prepare for the war ahead rather than send troops forward to a specific time when almost nothing is left. Time travel stories almost always have annoying aspects, and this is no different.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I'm watching The Rockford Files on Roku TV. There's an episode I'm watching right now with a character who's had a stroke, and it's the scariest thing they've had on this show yet. It's probably not an accurate portrayal of a stroke victim, but it's still terrifying.

"You can't erase icing."

I didn't get to watch 1776 yesterday; I have no idea where my copy has gotten to, and if I don't find it by next year, I'm just going to give up and replace it. On the other hand, I started up this morning's Rockford Files, and there was William Daniels!

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I just watched The Tomorrow War on Amazon Prime.
    I still can't take Chris Pratt seriously as an action hero, unfortunately. He has a facial expression through which he portrays "someone paying careful attention" which is unfortunately identical to the one he used so often for comedic effect in Parks And Recreation. It made me giggle uneasily in Zero Dark Thirty, and it's been doing so ever since.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I still can't take Chris Pratt seriously as an action hero, unfortunately. He has a facial expression through which he portrays "someone paying careful attention" which is unfortunately identical to the one he used so often for comedic effect in Parks And Recreation.
    I haven’t paid that much attention to Chris Pratt before, but I think I know what you are talking about. There are a number of scenes in the movie where his mouth is hanging open and he looks like he is imitating a fish. It didn’t really work for me.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

My film group has discussions about the "best Chris" (either Pine or Evans, depending on whom you ask) and the "worst Chris," and Pratt pretty consistently wins "worst Chris" status.

"You can't erase icing."

Based on comments in this thread we decided to give Dark Matter a shot. And was about to give up after a couple of episodes when I came to the conclusion that the tech and plots weren't any better or worse than Star Trek (any of them) and if I could just ignore the "magical" aspects (blink drive?) then the plot could be fun, in a non-cerebral sort of way.

But dang, they sure like to scatter bodies around!

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Based on comments in this thread we decided to give Dark Matter a shot. And was about to give up after a couple of episodes when I came to the conclusion that the tech and plots weren't any better or worse than Star Trek (any of them) and if I could just ignore the "magical" aspects (blink drive?) then the plot could be fun, in a non-cerebral sort of way.

But dang, they sure like to scatter bodies around!
    FTL drive is magic in a candy coating of pseudoscience. That's true of any SF series.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Cinema Therapy this week is talking about Indiana Jones, resiliency, and coping when your plans go wrong. Mostly, it's two forty-year-old men sitting around, talking about how much they love Raiders of the Lost Ark.
    Thatís the movie with the major plot hole, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I wondered if I had not had it so strongly in my head the show I wanted it to be, if I would have felt differently... but there was the feeling also of being duped somehow that irked me.

CJSF
    Thatís interesting. Some people (including myself) enjoy being duped (by entertainment I mean, not con men), but some people donít really like it. Iím not sure what the difference is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

My film group has discussions about the "best Chris" (either Pine or Evans, depending on whom you ask) and the "worst Chris," and Pratt pretty consistently wins "worst Chris" status.
    Best Chris? Eccleston, the 9th Doctor.

I've been watching "Holey Moley", a miniature golf competition.
    It is really stupid, but I find it enjoyable, mindless summer entertainment.

I also like the retro "ABC Wide World of Sports" blazers worn by the hosts.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Watched "Hilda"; was just what I needed at the time. Enjoyed. Suggested it to my Daughter and she said she'd seen some and wasn't interested.

She told me to instead watch "Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts" which she's been loving; I tried - wasn't much fussed. Has some nice ideas (e.g. the Mod Frogs), but not yet coming together in a story to hold my attention.

First time we've been so opposite in our reactions.

Season 2 of NZ's version of "Taskmaster" has started, so that's good news.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Having just re-read Good Omens, I guess we might as well watch the film version.

I'm watching The Dressmaker for a "gift exchange" that my film friends and I do twice a year. It's due tomorrow, and I, by tradition, write the article opening the responses, so I'd really better watch the movie.

"You can't erase icing."

I like Chris Pratt more than the other two. Apparently, Guardians of the Galaxy is my children's Star Wars. Acting ability aside, my children grin like loons whenever they see him which makes me give the guy two thumbs up.

I run a website where I host Amazon ads. Amazon is offering five times their normal bounty for Amazon Prime Video sign ups where new users watch Tomorrow War. I guess I'm going to have to watch that before throwing that one on the website. I try to be pretty honest when hawking stuff for Amazon. I've never seen them offer so much.

For all the obvious reasons, no link will be offered here. Amazon ad are terribly easy to find if you want them.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I like Chris Pratt more than the other two.
    He turns out to be . . . not the best person.

"You can't erase icing."