Page 102 of 106 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,060 of 3164

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Thank you for that, I was thinking about looking for it just the other day. Do watch the "behind the scenes" video as well.
    No I didn't, I was getting ready for a job and didn't have time.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Saw Captain Marvel yesterday for our anniversary. It was very good!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The 'big' European bike racing season has now started. My wife especially loves the broadcasts, on "free to air", and she is far more knowledgeable about the teams and riders than me. However we don't just watch for the racing, they showcase some beautiful scenery and give us ideas about future trips or bring back memories of past ones. So far we have seen the Paris - Nice race and have started to catch up with the Volta a Catalunya which is centered around Barcelona which we visited about 6 months ago.

To my great relief, new episodes of one of Irene's favourite shows, Masha and the Bear. Simon got into it when he was about her age; I've seen the first season probably hundreds of times by now.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Watched Jordan Peele's Us over the weekend with wife and friends. Don't like horror, but LOVED this movie. Confess that it works better to "spoil" it before you see it, as the film is deliciously complex, and you can follow what's happening much easier. Doesn't ruin anything, instead vastly improves the watching and you can understand the subtle subplots and symbolism. Had long after-movie discussion with wife and friends, which is unavoidable with this film. Mr. Peele is Rod Serling's doppleganger. Blew my mind.

Haven't seen "Us" yet, but enjoyed his "Get Out".

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Mr. Peele is Rod Serling's doppleganger.
    When you wrote this, were you aware that he's producing/hosting a new version of "The Twilight Zone", which premieres this week on CBS' streaming service?
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Haven't seen "Us" yet, but enjoyed his "Get Out".

When you wrote this, were you aware that he's producing/hosting a new version of "The Twilight Zone", which premieres this week on CBS' streaming service?
    YES. Cannot wait. I was a die-hard fan of "Twilight Zone" and "The Outer Limits" as a child.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    To my great relief, new episodes of one of Irene's favourite shows, Masha and the Bear. Simon got into it when he was about her age; I've seen the first season probably hundreds of times by now.
    With luck this show, Bluey - about a Blue Heeler (dog) pup might make it onto you children's channels before your children are too old to enjoy it. My 5 & 3 year old grandkids love it and it out rates the Wiggles over here. https://blog-actf.com.au/5-reasons-w...ll-love-bluey/

Edit: I forgot. If you are interested you ,may be able to stream episodes on-line depending on your speed etc. http://www.abc.net.au/abcforkids/vid...htm?show=BLUEY
    Last edited by ozduck; 2019-Apr-02 at 08:24 AM.

Netflix: Love death + robots

Short animated science fictiony tales. Much enjoyment.

Not for kids.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Netflix: Love death + robots

Short animated science fictiony tales. Much enjoyment.

Not for kids.
    Yes, I thought it was one of the better Netflix productions, some of the shorts better than others, of course. I usually am disappointed with Netflix produced stuff, especially their attempts at adult stuff which I usually find too dark and annoying, but these were fairly interesting.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Saw Captain Marvel yesterday for our anniversary. It was very good!
    I might and go and see that this week, got a couple of gift certificates for Christmas for a movie theater chain, depending on the weather might take a trip Fredericton during the week to see it.

Finally got started on Star Trek Discovery. Saw S1 E8 last night.

There are a few things I'm not enjoying, e.g. the instant travel by spores thing, and the Vulcan mind-meld that seems to have the same instant over distance ability.

But overall, yeah, it's great. Still Star Trek, but much of it being different. And the style and quality of production is something else.

I'd go to the thread for it, but I expect too many spoilers as I'm behind.
    Why is a frog too?

We decided to rewatch the previous seasons of "Game of Thrones," so it'd be fresh in our minds to wach the final season, but I think we started too late - we're only about a quarter of the way through the 2nd Season, and the new episodes start Sunday.

But that just means once we do get through the old episodes, there'll be several episodes of the new season (if not the entire thing) waiting for us.

We decided to rewatch the previous seasons of "Game of Thrones," so it'd be fresh in our minds to wach the final season, but I think we started too late - we're only about a quarter of the way through the 2nd Season, and the new episodes start Sunday.

But that just means once we do get through the old episodes, there'll be several episodes of the new season (if not the entire thing) waiting for us.
    Visited my Daughter yesterday to drive her and her rabbits to the vet for a checkup. Her partner was watching s1e1 of it. He'd read somewhere that you're supposed to know series 1 inside out to get the best out of the latest season.
    Why is a frog too?

IIRC there is a scene during a S2 episode where Dany has a vision that is supposed to forecast the end of the series. She's in the throne room, with snow falling and ...

Anyhoo, if you haven't watched that one yet, watch it.

BTW, did you happen to catch Maisie Williams on Fallon, when she "accidentally" gave away Sansa's fate? Priceless.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I've actually been enjoying rewatching those early episodes. There are so many things that presaged future events that, the first time through, you don't realize the relevance of them. Even minor things - in the episode we watched last night, we saw where Arya got the idea of reciting the litany of names on her list each night.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    IIRC there is a scene during a S2 episode where Dany has a vision that is supposed to forecast the end of the series. She's in the throne room, with snow falling and ...
    Don't think we've seen that yet. I'll have to watch for it.

BTW, did you happen to catch Maisie Williams on Fallon, when she "accidentally" gave away Sansa's fate? Priceless.
    No, but I'll have to check it out.

On a separate topic, I haven't given an update on my "Star Trek" 50th Anniversary rewatch. Watched "All our Yesterdays", the series' penultimate episode, back on March 14th. But now I have to wait until June 3rd to watch the final episode, "Turnabout Intruder". Two and a half months with nothing, then one more episode.

There were two episodes that I missed on the actual date and watched the next day. I don't remember exactly which ones, but they were both in the second season - one towards the beginning of the season and another towards the end. But all the rest I watched the day of.

Finally managed to finish The Keepers, on Netflix. Chilling. And something I wasn't willing to watch with the kids around, as it details a school's long history of sexual abuse.

"You can't erase icing."

8 out of ten cats does countdown.

Awesome.

(Just started a couple of weeks ago on broadcast TV here.)
    Why is a frog too?

8 out of ten cats does countdown.

Awesome.

(Just started a couple of weeks ago on broadcast TV here.)
    It has been on over here for a year or so and I agree that it is good fun. The only problem is it makes me realize how slow I am at working out the answers compared to some on the show - of course many of them are even worse than me. (Please don't say they are deliberately getting the answers wrong as it would ruin what little comfort I can take)

Just saw the trailer for The Rise of Skywalker.
    https://youtu.be/Lp5SM43NH0s
    Wait for it, wait for it.

Last episode of Season 2. She's in the House of the Undying, trying to get her dragons back from the Warlocks, and has the vision just as you described. She approaches the throne, but just as she's about to touch it, she hears her dragons' cry and turns away. Entering another room, she finds herself north of the Wall. She enters a tent and finds Khal Drogo and their son. She has a brief conversation with him and then, hearing her dragons again, leaves and returns to the House of the Undying itself.

Given the Khal Drogo scene, I have my doubts as to whether the visions are supposed to presage the future, though.

I need to put this out there, though - rewatching the episode in which Jon Snow first kills a wight by burning it with fire, I wondered how they would end up dealing with the turned Viserion, since dragons are apparently not susceptible to fire (based on their hatching scene and Danerys' own invulnerability to flame). My wife pointed out that, in the TV series at least, wights can also be destroyed by dragonglass. This led to our prediction of a scene near the end of the series in which Dany is riding on Viserion's back and stabs him with dragonglass, sobbing with grief the entire time. If that actually happens, remember that you read it here first.

Avengers End Game.

Better than previous one. Some moments of cheese but overall a good watch. Long.

Time travel though. Sucks.
    Why is a frog too?

Last episode of Season 2. She's in the House of the Undying, trying to get her dragons back from the Warlocks, and has the vision just as you described. She approaches the throne, but just as she's about to touch it, she hears her dragons' cry and turns away. Entering another room, she finds herself north of the Wall. She enters a tent and finds Khal Drogo and their son. She has a brief conversation with him and then, hearing her dragons again, leaves and returns to the House of the Undying itself.
    Early in Season 4, Bran has a three-eyed-raven-induced vision. Lots of different stuff in it, but he also sees the destroyed throne room with falling snow. So it does seem likely that it will end up snowing in the throne room, but it's doesn't necessarily tell us anything about Dany's destiny.

It is just as well that it was not Tywin's head that held the Crown of Ice, for he would have done exactly that, and passed Winterfell by, turning the surrounding populace as he went.

Ramsay Bolton, being even more cruel, would have lain siege--laughing like a Nazgul as the dothraki and unsullied turned one upon the other in a starven frenzy. He then would have raised the dead, only to leave them there--milling about the same prison in which he met his own end.

Bran **might** have escaped with Arya to Braavos, had the fight gone badly. There, the Night's King would have finished the Game in the temple of Death. This sense of completion was denied, in that the Night's King still had too much that was human about him, smiling after having basked in Drogon's flame. Perhaps there was even a bit of Dornish blood in him, as yet unfrozen (Ithaqua was not pleased).

To have true sangfroid, however--one must truly lose one's self--one's emotions. Something neither the King nor his assassin fully lost.

That was how Deep Blue bested Kasparov:

"What is Deep Blue's secret? Grand master Yasser Seirawan put it most succinctly: "The machine has no fear." He did not just mean the obvious, that silicon cannot quake. He meant something deeper...The omniscient have no fear...Late in the game, Blue's king was under savage attack by Kasparov. Any human player under such assault by a world champion would be staring at his own king trying to figure out how to get away. Instead, Blue ignored the threat and quite nonchalantly went hunting for lowly pawns at the other end of the board....It could return from its pawn-picking expedition and destroy Kasparov exactly one move before Kasparov could destroy it. Which it did."
    http://content.time.com/time/magazin...135544,00.html

Bran **did** give himself over fully, and was thus unscathed. He, not the Night King, was DEEP BLUE.

Still, there is a part of me that wonders if we have really seen the last of the Night's King. The Mountain, after all, seems to exist in a state Coleridge called "life-in-death."

Perhaps he will be a vessel for some kind of return.

As for the ending....

The "Clegane bowl" wasn't to be denied of course, and this episode --perhaps the finest 90 minutes in all television--"ended as it must."

Of course it was to be Arya who shattered the plans of the dead.

We saw a little "Red October" in the murk of the purga above, as kings made battle in the air. We saw THE FOG of John Carpenter, and a little of THE WALKING DEAD in the Stark Library. We even got a taste of A.C. Clarke, where the flames of the dothraki winked out one by one, as did the stars themselves in THE NINE BILLION NAMES OF GOD.

Poor Jorah. He somehow escaped the absorption of "his light, his heat"(to quote from one of Laird Barron's tales) into the gloom, only to fall at the last.

He was at least cradled by the one he loved and served best--and received affection, which is all he ever really wanted, but "too late, too late."

I doubt my own death will be a tenth that noble.

I think a new army will come from Dorne. The Ice has had its day. Time for the fire of the sands, as Cersi's hourglass drains.

There is a 40 minute special On Demand. There we learn one of the wights (the one that looked for Arya under the table) is Spanish performer Javier Botet, who is triple-jointed:
    https://ew.com/movies/2018/09/07/jav...nder-man-mara/

I only really noticed his gaunt frame in the special, however.

He was Ba'ul on Star Trek Discovery.

Some music for you
    https://open.spotify.com/album/1R84K...R9mmywpo00LZDg
    Last edited by publiusr; 2019-Apr-30 at 07:24 PM.

So, Episode 4 of GoT will be 80 minutes long. Kit Harrington says it's his favorite ... but what does he know. And there are warnings that Ep 5 is Ep 3 on steroids.

Oh, and lots of folks are concerned Arya will die because Drake did a shout out to her during the Billboards. I don't think so. Melisandre said she would close a lot of eyes ... brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes. The Night King had blue eyes. Cersei's are green.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Avengers End Game.

Better than previous one. Some moments of cheese but overall a good watch. Long.

Time travel though. Sucks.
    Would it make sense if you did see the last one,I know what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Would it make sense if you did see the last one,I know what happened.
    Do you mean "didn't"? If you know what happened, it wouldn't matter too much you hadn't seen it. I've not seen all previous 21 movies, so there were bits I didn't pick up on, still enjoyed it.
    Why is a frog too?

There's a new show on The CW that has captured my interest. And it's not a superhero show either. (CW has a bunch of them.) It's called In The Dark and follows a young blind woman, Murphy, trying to solve the murder of her friend Tyrone. The characters are interesting and well-played; very few are not flawed. The story is interesting and not shallow.

I like it.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

Well I have never watched Game of Thrones but i might dial up the latest episode to see the ooops moment when a Starbucks cup makes a brief appearance.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/3hdw..._coffee2.0.jpg

Needless to sat the GOT Twitterverse is roiling...

ETA: Of course it may also be in the same vein that Sofia Coppola placed a pair of modern Keds sneakers among the shoes of Marie Antoinette.
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2019-May-06 at 04:00 PM.

Less than a week until the end of the big bang theory. Also agents of shield are coming back, they more lives than Cuolson.