Page 107 of 109 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109 LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,210 of 3247

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    It's not tempting me to sign up for Amazon Prime next month.
    Gad. Within a few days of writing that, I receive a physical mailshot from Amazon (first time that's happened), informing me that I'm "eligible" for a free 30-day trial of Prime Video. Yeah, me and everyone else on the planet.
    Pushy.
    Makes me wonder about the health of their Prime Video revenue stream.

Grant Hutchison

Gad. Within a few days of writing that, I receive a physical mailshot from Amazon (first time that's happened), informing me that I'm "eligible" for a free 30-day trial of Prime Video. Yeah, me and everyone else on the planet.
    Pushy.
    Makes me wonder about the health of their Prime Video revenue stream.

Grant Hutchison
    Do they break out prime video there? Here, we get Prime and video is one of the features, like music, but the real reason I got prime was for the shipping. I suppose video factors in to my decision to keep prime, but it wouldn’t be sufficient alone.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Well, I looked into it, and it appears that more recently they have started offering video as a separate service here at a modestly reduced cost over full membership. I don’t see the point. There are things I have liked on prime video, but I wouldn’t pay for it separately.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

4. 2019-Nov-29, 11:44 PM
    Reason
    Duplicate

With regard to shipping, I'm never in that much of a rush - I always tick the "free delivery in 3-5 business days" option when I order stuff from Amazon, so there would be no advantage to Prime in that regard. The rise of streaming and the move away from physical media troubles me, for various selfish reasons. I presume we'll hit "peak streaming" at some point, and (for me) it would be nice if that happened while there was still a good market for well-produced physical media. So at present I'm just watching what happens, without engaging.

Grant Hutchison

I do save on shipping even though I also click "no rush," because I don't have to make sure I've ordered enough for free shipping. I also get a reduced payment level, because I'm on disability and qualify for it. Funnily enough, I will be using it to buy a movie I'm watching for The Solute's "Year of the Month" feature--because the movie in question isn't available on Disney+. I am buying a physical copy, because I remember having liked it as a kid and am supportive of physical media in general.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Ah, there's a whole other level of "no rush" when it comes to hitting the free shipping threshold. If I want to order something from Amazon that falls below the threshold, it gets dumped in a private "wish list" and stays there until I eventually come up with something else I want (and can't source locally) that takes the total across the threshold. Sometimes stuff sits there for months, waiting for the magic moment. This habit causes laughter and/or incredulity and/or mild annoyance in those around me, but there are some childhood lessons that are both engrained and harmless, so I don't imagine I'll ever change.

Grant Hutchison

Want to routinely hit the free shipping thresholds? Adopt a dog. Ideally, elderly.

Amazon often has better pricing than Chewy on some products.

The second series of "Wellington Paranormal" has just started on Australian TV. Seems just just as much fun as before. I do keep wondering if pzkpfw has wandered across in the background of a scene.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Want to routinely hit the free shipping thresholds? Adopt a dog. Ideally, elderly.

Amazon often has better pricing than Chewy on some products.
    Not going to happen for several reasons. But when I had a cat, I bought his cat food at Costco and his litter at brick-and-mortar stores. Interestingly, and relevant to the thread, the cat liked to watch Good Eats, which has started up again and which my partner is watching.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

The Two Popes. Basically just two hours of two old guys talking. Best thing I've seen in the cinema for easily a decade.

Grant Hutchison

The Two Popes. Basically just two hours of two old guys talking. Best thing I've seen in the cinema for easily a decade.

Grant Hutchison
    I have not read a bad review of it on-line. From what I have read, Pryce and Hopkins both turn in excellent performances.

I saw A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood today. It was wonderful.
    Solfe

Grant Hutchison
    I hear that is coming to Netflix shortly. I can't wait. I do like how they do the actual theater release first because movies are just better that way.
    Solfe

My wife is watching Dirty Dancing on TV. Again. About the 5th time in a couple of weeks.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I hear that is coming to Netflix shortly. I can't wait. I do like how they do the actual theater release first because movies are just better that way.
    It's nice to believe Netflix is thinking of the art, or the viewer. Buuuuuut ...The theatrical release makes it eligible for certain awards that a straight-to-cable release does not.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

The end of the (redacted) world, on Netflix.

Couldn't stop watching. Eventually forced myself to bed so I could go to work Monday.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Watched the Kennedy Center Honors, seeing bigbird asking Tom Hanks if he know a T Hanks or thanks was priceless. Then during a commercial break saw Canada Walk of Fame were doing there honors and one was Mr. Dressup. At the auction I work for had a trunk with puppets painted on the outside we called the trickle trunk like the one he had on his show. Mr. Dressup was Canadas version of Mister Rogers, they worked together for a while.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2019-Dec-16 at 01:42 PM. Reason: spelling.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    The end of the (redacted) world, on Netflix.

Couldn't stop watching. Eventually forced myself to bed so I could go to work Monday.
    Watch this now.

Now!
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Doesn't appear that it's been mentioned yet on this board, surprisingly enough, but is anybody else watching "The Mandalorian" on Disney+?

It's pretty good.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

The Goldfinch. Pretty good adaptation of the excellent book!

The Art of Racing in the Rain. Also pretty good - loved the book.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Just finished the second (and concluding) season of Counterpart. Spy drama played out between two parallel-universe versions of Berlin, with many of the actors playing two parts. Also, this season, a bit of a meditation on "road not taken" regrets, as characters contemplate how their "Others'" lives worked out. Olivia Williams and J.K. Simmons are just hypnotic on screen, in either of their roles.
    It takes no prisoners in terms of the narrative - which universe we're in and which version of a character we're watching is very rarely spelled out on screen, and the plot is convoluted in terms of who knows what and who is betraying whom. And it's as bleak as spy stories set in Berlin usually are.
    Best thing I've seen on TV in a long time.

Grant Hutchison

Beasts of No Nation

Brutal, haunting film of young innocent boys indoctrinated as guerrilla soldiers in an unnamed African country (but certainly Sierra Leone). Idris Elba brings a mesmerizing performance as the fatherly yet godlike leader of the children, by turns nurturing and abusing them.

As a pleasant way to pass the time the local Community TV showed the hilariously inaccurate Cole Porter bio-pic - "Night and Day. Apart from the fact that the actual life of Porter bore very little resemblance to the filmed version, there are also songs sung a dozen years before they were written, songs performed in the wrong show etc etc.

However the musical numbers are great and performed by some very talented people like Mary Martin and one of my favourite performers of the 1930's & 40's Ginny Simms. The songs alone make me enjoy this every time I see it.

Doctor Who Christmas Special tomorrow. Not. I didn't realize until a couple of days ago they aren't doing one. But the new season starts on 1 January. It's been quite a long time!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Cole Porter really liked Night and Day, because he liked being played by Cary Grant.

Meanwhile, I found a Christmas RiffTrax I haven't seen yet, apparently about Whizzo the Clown?

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Cole Porter really liked Night and Day, because he liked being played by Cary Grant.
    Clo?
    Well, I certainly would have liked being played by Cary Grant! According to Wikipedia,Porter co-operated with the making of the film so he might have had some say in the casting.

Grant Hutchison
    We just signed up for a 30-day free trial of Netflix steaming service because we were in a hotel while visiting my in-laws. So we saw The Two Popes and The Ballad of Buster Scruggs which I was grousing about in another thread because it wasn't available on DVD. Anyway we enjoyed them both.

As a bit of trivia one of the six stories in Buster Scruggs is called The Meal Ticket and stars Liam Neeson and Harry Melling. I didn't recognize Melling because he has lost a lot of weight from his days playing Harry Potter's goofy cousin Dudley Dursley. In this story Melling plays a character who has no legs and no arms. Neeson is his caretaker and impresario who has a tiny travelling show in the old west. The Meal Ticket (Melling) is propped up on a small stage and then recites Shakespeare, famous speeches, bible verse, you name it. Leeson passes the hat at the end to pay their way. And I wont say any more than that.

Melling's IMDB profile has only a few photos of him in films but contains more images of him in stage productions. If he has been spending his time on the boards since his Potter days, it shows in this performance.

He was very good in that, yes--the thing that's come to impress me most about the Harry Potter movies in recent years is the quality casting of the children.

"You can't erase icing."

The Lion King, 2019 version. Agamemnon. Photo-but-not-quite-realistic animals and birds that talk and sing? How did that not land right in the middle of everyone's Uncanny Valley? It was like one of those psychedelic experiences that is neither ecstatic nor terrifying, but leaves you subtly on edge for days afterwards.

Grant Hutchison

Not yet, but soon …

El Rey network will have a Firefly marathon starting Dec 31. And they're being aired in the correct order!
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board