Page 11 of 107 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I used to live in Port Angeles, and at the time, it was cheap and easy to go to Victoria. We also got Canadian TV and radio. I'm not quite as familiar with Canadian culture as you, I'm sure, but I got a fair amount of it.
    I recall some career minor league hockey player saying that he liked Victoria BC, becuase they got more TV stations than anywhere else. Pre-cable days, that is.

Probably not as many as where I grew up--in Los Angeles. Victoria might get the Seattle stations on a good day, if you have a good antenna, but LA just had that many.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I'm watching my Disney Rarities discs, having finally found it. Since it was between a container of fabric and the fireplace tools, I'm blaming Graham. I wouldn't have put it there, and D can't.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    It's pretty close to American with a few odd twists I think, we do seem to produce some good comedians. And of course we think hockey really belongs to us.
    Yes, yes and yes. As to the last, I spent two whole seasons of hockey trying to convince my son's that "O Canada" is not named "The Hockey Song".

You could add beer to that list, too. While in Epcot, I discovered the Canadian Pavilion sold Molson and was so excited, I bought one for me and wife. I should have stuck it out and a drink in Germany, Italy or France, but no... it was hot and that beer was calling my name. I think it cost me like 16 bucks for two bottles of beer, but it was the best beer I have ever had.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Yes, yes and yes. As to the last, I spent two whole seasons of hockey trying to convince my son's that "O Canada" is not named "The Hockey Song".

You could add beer to that list, too. While in Epcot, I discovered the Canadian Pavilion sold Molson and was so excited, I bought one for me and wife. I should have stuck it out and a drink in Germany, Italy or France, but no... it was hot and that beer was calling my name. I think it cost me like 16 bucks for two bottles of beer, but it was the best beer I have ever had.
    You can just about get a six pack of Molson Canadian for $8 here, but there are few things better than a nice cold beer on a hot day.

My favorite beer growing up was Kokanee which is brewed in the Kootenays like me.

I just watched Skyfall, I've been watching Bond movies for almost 50 years and I'm having a hard time deciding if I liked what they did with the franchise, it seems like just another reboot to keep a movie franchise "fresh".
    Last edited by starcanuck64; 2013-Apr-01 at 11:11 PM.

I just purchased The Princess Bride and pizza rolls for the kids lunch and movie tomorrow. I am debating testing the children's movie recall afterwards. The debate is mostly written or verbal testing, this movie is critical proper upbringing
    Solfe

Band of Brothers the 'Carentan" episode.

I think it's one of the best of the series and I found it tragic that a man who was able to overcome his fear in combat was mortally wounded so soon afterward. But apparently Stephen Ambrose and the shows producers got it wrong, Albert Blithe didn't die in 1948, he died in 1967 after making the rank of Master Sargeant and making over 600 jumps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Blithe

A bunch of stuff showed up at once so I'll be doing a lot of watching in the next week starting with S1 of Game of Thrones.

I've started revisiting the "Three Colours" trilogy. I ordered a DVD set for $20, can better understand with the subtitles, what I missed by watching them strictly in french.

I've been taping Whitechapel S2. I had only seen the third episode, previously.

Plebs.
    New Sitcom set in Ancient Rome.

Think of a cross between Up Pompeii and Peep Show.

One of the writers also works on Peep Show.

Good production values, filmed on a Roman TOwn film set in Hungary.

It follows the adventures of two young men from the Provinces who have moved to Rome with their Slave and have mundane 'office' jobs.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

I have my kids watching Doctor Who. They insist on popcorn and turning the lights off like a movie theater. My oldest son is watching the whole Robotech series, but I talked him into reading the Jack McKinney books.

Has anyone else noticed the History Channel and Science Channel's "extended versions" of How the Universe Works and other science shows? It reminds me of Popup Video.
    Solfe

Season One of Game of Thrones was great, I was surprised when a certain character got his head lopped off, I assumed Ned was headed for the throne. Now I've got to get my hands on Season Two.

I'm 471 on 47 copies for Season Two of Game of Thrones from the library.

Kingdom with Stephen Fry, it took me until the fifth episode of season one to get into it, but the last episode of that season, number 6 was the best I thought.

Bully, finally. Man, these administrators are incompetent.

"You can't erase icing."

Kingdom Season two, very nice program I think.

Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    Kingdom Season two, very nice program I think.
    If you like that try Doc Martin
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    If you like that try Doc Martin
    Another good one, I've seen the first five seasons.

Britain puts out some of the best programs I think.

If you want another 'regional' Comendy/Drama look for Heartbeat. It is set in the 60s in North Yorkshire. It's the adventures of a Police Officer. Filmed in Goathland a village on the North Yorkshire Moors. It also has one of the stations of the Whitby to Pickering Steam railway that was used as Hogwarts Station in the Harry Potter films. It has a lot of scenes in Whitby as well.

It's first season was based on teh autobiographical books written by a local ' Bobby'. My Uncle Harols worked with him when he was in the N Yorks force in the 60s and 70s.
    All Moderation in Purple

If you want another 'regional' Comendy/Drama look for Heartbeat. It is set in the 60s in North Yorkshire. It's the adventures of a Police Officer. Filmed in Goathland a village on the North Yorkshire Moors. It also has one of the stations of the Whitby to Pickering Steam railway that was used as Hogwarts Station in the Harry Potter films. It has a lot of scenes in Whitby as well.

It's first season was based on teh autobiographical books written by a local ' Bobby'. My Uncle Harols worked with him when he was in the N Yorks force in the 60s and 70s.
    Sounds good, I like the series that take place in some of the more remote locations on the British Isles like Hamish Macbeth and Doc Martin.

I watched the movie "Pink Saris" recently, which featured Sampat Pal's "Gulabi Gang," as well as this film:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beasts_..._Southern_Wild

Just spent 20 minutes watching XKCD 1190: Time

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

World Championship Snooker Semi Finals.

O'Sullivan won his now into last frames of Walden V Sawkins
    All Moderation in Purple

A couple of shows I just started watching recently, "Orphan Black" and "The Fixer".

Bottom Series one on Netflix

Eddie Hitler is my Role Model.
    All Moderation in Purple

Top Gear 15, it's kind of Monty Python meets Auto Week, very funny.

This bit with a Reliant Robin had me cracking up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8

And this one with Jeremy Clarkson's three story motorhome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bREGX8NA1Ek

Their recent 'Africa Special' 2 Parter where they set off to find the Real Source of the Nile in cars costing 1500 is good.
    All Moderation in Purple

Their recent 'Africa Special' 2 Parter where they set off to find the Real Source of the Nile in cars costing 1500 is good.
    Thanks, I'm watching that now.

Darkwing Duck, one of the things I got Graham for his birthday. Or us, anyway; I'll probably consider it mine, but I got it in part because Graham also likes it.

"You can't erase icing."

Alas, a very bad print of Alexander Nevsky. I'm betting this DVD was released by Kino.

"You can't erase icing."