Page 131 of 144 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,930 of 4306

Thread: What are you watching?

WandaVision had its finale and I found it rather satisfying. Or as satisfying as it could be all things considered. I read that lots of folks were disappointed because it didn't end as they had hoped, but their expectations were certainly too great.

I know we'll see some of the characters again. I hope we see some others as well, either in movies or future series. Maybe The Further Adventures of Darcy and Jimmy?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

We binged The I-Land limited series on Netflix. It wasn't terrible. I think there was some serious editing that nearly obliterated the narrative in the first episode or two, and some serious holes. I did chuckle at times because, as a birder, I would have noticed something was very odd given the mix of bird species found on the island.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

We also watched the docuseries Murder Among The Mormons on Netflix recently. We went into it cold, and I thought it was going to be about LDS historical censorship and the like. I had no idea any of the events that are documented happened. I vaguely recall that Mormons were talked about a lot during the early to mid 80s among my extended family, and there being news items, but I remember nothing of the actual events. It's rather fascinating and I recommend it.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    We also watched the docuseries Murder Among The Mormons on Netflix recently. We went into it cold, and I thought it was going to be about LDS historical censorship and the like. I had no idea any of the events that are documented happened. I vaguely recall that Mormons were talked about a lot during the early to mid 80s among my extended family, and there being news items, but I remember nothing of the actual events. It's rather fascinating and I recommend it.

CJSF
    It was originally made by the BBC.
    I do not want to comment on religion but that series did not change my views.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

We binged....

CJSF
    Trivial stuff that bugs me: I consistently read that word with a hard "g". As in the past tense of Microsoft's search engine, or something.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    It was originally made by the BBC.
    I do not want to comment on religion but that series did not change my views.
    I don't think that was the intent or tract the series took, but rather my own thoughts as the first episode began. Maybe the creators did want to plant that seed as a diversion; I don't know. In the end, it was about the crimes and the sociopathic behavior of one man and the affect it had on his loved ones and the community.

CJSF
    Last edited by CJSF; 2021-Mar-10 at 04:21 PM.
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Trivial stuff that bugs me: I consistently read that word with a hard "g". As in the past tense of Microsoft's search engine, or something.
    I shall forever now be sidetracked by that homonym. Thanks!!!

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

I am extremely familiar with the case and watched the series myself. I have to admit there wasn't much new information, but I was impressed by the range of people they interviewed.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

"Alien Resident" (Sci-Fi channel) just got more interesting. Linda Hamilton just entered the scene and it looks like she'll be a regular cast member. Spoiler Alert from this point forward ----She's a General in the Army and has gone renegade with her own personal investigation into the crashed UFO. She saw one when she was a little girl and has been on the hunt for them ever since, and her experience has shown her that the upper chain of command just files them away under "forget about it".

I rewatched the Dungeons and Dragons film from 2000 for a review. I gave it 5 of 5 stars because it's exactly like watching Jeremy Irons play D&D for the first time.

"Of course, you ARE charismatic, Mr. Irons. You just rolled a one. That's all. It happens."
    Solfe

I liked the first D&D movie. It reminded me of classic low budget B movies I’d watch on Creature Features night as a kid. The ones I could enjoy despite and even because of their imperfections.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I ended up tracking down some L.A. Law for my article yesterday; wow, some of that has not aged well.
    Hmmm. The one scene/episode that stands out to me is Roz Shays going down the elevator shaft. What a way to leave a show. They didn't even throw her down a turbolift in Star Trek. For whatever reason, I seem to remember Diana Muldaur's appearances on those shows in reverse order. I must have been watching or both in reruns.
    Solfe

I ended up tracking down some L.A. Law for my article yesterday; wow, some of that has not aged well.
    Could you mention examples? I haven’t watched it for a long time. Legal themed shows were never my favorites anyway. I remember it as trying for edgy drama, but that’s about it.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Could you mention examples? I haven’t watched it for a long time. Legal themed shows were never my favorites anyway. I remember it as trying for edgy drama, but that’s about it.
    One of the major characters is developmentally disabled. He's in a relationship with another developmentally disabled woman, and everyone--everyone--treats their relationship as their business. Another character takes him out to buy contraception, to "teach him how," and it's a joke that everyone cares a great deal and that the woman behind the counter assumes they're gay and cares. Later, a bunch of the characters are unsure they care about whether one of the clients supports apartheid or not.

This morning, I'm watching a movie called The Three Cases of Murder for a column. One segment of it is the only thing I can find streaming by its director.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

One of the major characters is developmentally disabled. He's in a relationship with another developmentally disabled woman, and everyone--everyone--treats their relationship as their business.
    And it was much lauded at the time for breaking stereotypes, IIRC. Larry Drake got a couple of Emmy awards for his role.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Archive. Some odd acting from the supporting roles (with the exception of the ever-reliable Toby Jones), but a good pay-off on a building sense of dislocation and unease as the story progresses. Out of respect for the spoiler sensibilities of others, I'll say no more than it reminded me in many ways of one of my favourite movies, Stay.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Oh! Yes, I watched Archivenot too long ago. I would be annoyed if someone spoiled it before I saw it. I recommend it, if you like science fiction movies that are a bit different and not major action movies.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2021-Mar-14 at 07:33 AM.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

The Fantastic Journey. Intriguing mash-up of Fantastic Voyage and The Incredible Journey. (Not--though I'd pay to see that.)

Short-lived science fantasy TV series from the 1970s. A group of people enter a mysterious cloud in the Bermuda Triangle, and find themselves lost in a "dimension" consisting of "time zones". At the start and end of each episode they pass through a blue portal sort of thing, to find themselves in a new story setting in which they encounter peril, sort out the problems of the people they meet, and then pass on in search of "Evoland", from which they will be able to return home.
    Fraught with doom from the outset, really: a major cast change after the pilot; a child star who reportedly didn't speak to the rest of the cast; a supporting character (Roddy McDowall) who upstaged the male lead (Jared Martin); and the disappearance of the only regular female character mid-season due to ill-health. On the upside, a freakishly good performance from a trained cat, which is something you don't see every day.
    I've just watched an episode in which oppressed women (led by Joan Collins) stage a revolt, overthrow and imprison their male oppressors, and then realize that they need a man to help them fix the computer that runs their city, which has been damaged because the women fiddled with it without properly understanding it. Why does no-one make penetrating drama like this anymore?

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

^^^ The "Fantastic Journey" sounds like a hybrid of 2 US series "Quantum Leap" and "Sliders".

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    ^^^ The "Fantastic Journey" sounds like a hybrid of 2 US series "Quantum Leap" and "Sliders".
    I haven't seen either of those. The Fantastic Journey is also a US series, but was cult viewing (albeit briefly) when I was at university in the UK. It lurched around the schedules, as I recall, so we had to be constantly on the alert to catch episodes.
    A feature we greatly enjoyed at the time, and which has been pleasant to revisit, was the reuse of the same outdoor location in multiple episodes--there's a small scree slope on a steep grassy hillside that either features in the background or becomes a setting for the action on multiple occasions.
    It was also nice to be reminded of the custom in episodic US drama during that era of opening each episode with a montage of upcoming scenes, often giving away major plot points.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Sorry, I should have posted the links ---

Quantum Leap
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096684/

Sliders
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112167/

Similar story lines where the 'travelers" of time & space solve other people's problems before "jumping" into their next adventure to, of course, solve someone's else's problems.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    It was also nice to be reminded of the custom in episodic US drama during that era of opening each episode with a montage of upcoming scenes, often giving away major plot points.
    Ah, but you don't mind spoilers, do you?

Nowadays, many shows open each episode with a montage of scenes from previous episodes. I prefer to skip those, as well, because too often the choice of scenes/characters that are highlighted in the montage serves as a bit of a spoiler as to what's going to happen in the current episode.

There was a specific episode of "The Mandalorian" in which the reappearance of a character from the previous season was given away by the inclusion of that character's scene(s) in the opening montage. It was especially amusing because a friend, who was still working their way through the first season, had just a couple days earlier asked me about that character and if their situation was ever resolved...
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Nowadays, many shows open each episode with a montage of scenes from previous episodes.

At my age you appreciate the recaps, esp after a week's intermission ;-)
    But if you're binge watching I can see where it's a waste of 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Ah, but you don't mind spoilers, do you?
    Blithely unconcerned. But, given the current level of "spoiler anxiety" I observe around me, I'm amused to be reminded that it didn't seem to be much of an issue in the 1970s. You could practically figure out the entire plot of a Mission Impossible episode from the scenes shown during the "burning fuse" sequence, and no-one seemed to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Nowadays, many shows open each episode with a montage of scenes from previous episodes. I prefer to skip those, as well, because too often the choice of scenes/characters that are highlighted in the montage serves as a bit of a spoiler as to what's going to happen in the current episode.
    Predictably, I rather enjoy these little "Oh-ho!" moments.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

The show "Death in Paradise" did something similar. During the first few minutes of the first episode, they showed a character slinking around in the shadows, accompanied by ominous cello music, implying that she was up to no good. But since I saw the actor featured during the opening credits with her name prominently displayed, I knew that she wasn't this week's murderer.

Sure enough, she turned out to be a police officer working undercover.

As I recall, the old Robert Conrad TV show, “The Wild Wild West”, showed a cartoon-like mosaic with generic dramatic images in each quadrant during the opening credits.

At each commercial break, one quadrant was replaced with a dramatic image from the current show.
    By the end, all the images were from the current show. Kind of the reverse of spoilers.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    Similar story lines where the 'travelers" of time & space solve other people's problems before "jumping" into their next adventure to, of course, solve someone's else's problems.
    IE, Dr. Who.

At least the TARDIS had some control over where and when. The travelers on the other shows where totally at the whims of Fate.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

The TARDIS always seemed to randomly alternate between winding up in a more or less random location -- i.e. getting Cardiff in 1869 instead of Florence in 1890 -- and being able to precisely locate a vacant spot in a companion's bedroom. She explained that in The Doctor's Wife: "I didn't always take you where you wanted to go, but I always took you where you needed to be."
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Two series recently:

Capitani, a Luxembourgian(!) cop drama that I found quite enjoyable.

Dark, a science fiction/time travel drama. Really hard to keep track of who's who, especially since you have various versions of each who.

We watched "I Know Where I'm Going" (1945) a slightly metaphysical Powell & Pressburger romance starring Wendy Hiller and Roger Livesey. It is a thoroughly charming film with some great, atmospheric, B & W location footage of the inner Hebrides in Scotland. Most of the outdoor scenes were filmed on the island of Mull and of the whirlpool in the Gulf of Corryvreckan. I am pretty sure Grant Hutchison would have walked over some of the hills shown in this film.