Page 3 of 107 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Really? I hated that movie. I thought it was dull and cliché.
    I found it really moving, I'm not a big Markie(oops...Mark) Wahlberg fan but I really enjoy Rachel Weisz so that may have something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jokergirl View Post
    It's spelled Marky.

double oops.

He appeared on Inside the Actor's Studio once and was asked his least favourite word. His response? "Is Marky Mark a word?" Which all goes back to my grand unified Don't Take a Stage Name You Wouldn't Want to Be Stuck With When You're Eighty theory.

As to The Lovely Bones, my first and biggest problem with it was that Susie was boring. She was in a film club and didn't understand why another character was called Holly Golightly. She couldn't remember Laurence Olivier's name. She was a blank. Stanley Tucci was fine, but he wasn't given much to work with. And I didn't think the visuals were all that interesting, either.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I took it as her being naive, which could come across as boring I guess. Stanley Tucci really captures how mundane true evil is I thought and was one of the creepiest movie villains for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    When it comes to modern day Sherlock Holmes, I much prefer Elementary to Sherlock. The latter is all "Look how quirky we've made the character! And aren't we radical, suggesting there might be homoerotic undertones to Holmes and Watson's relationship - coz nobody's ever thought that before! And look how we included all the fan favourites - Lestrade, Mycroft, Irene Adler, Moriarty, Baskerville, the Reichenback Falls. Oh, and we managed to shoehorn in a mystery in."

Elementary actually works as an engaging mystery series, and the female Watson works rather well. In fact the mixed platonic couple works as an antidote to the hackneyed gay thing.
    So far, I actually prefer "Sherlock" to "Elementary," although they're both quite good. "Sherlock" is, IMHO, much closer to Doyle's original.

BTW, did you notice Irene Adler's name in the preview for next week's episode of "Elementary"?
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    So far, I actually prefer "Sherlock" to "Elementary," although they're both quite good. "Sherlock" is, IMHO, much closer to Doyle's original.
    How far are you in?

I should say, BTW, that I am by no means a Holmes fan. I've read the four novels and a fair few of the short stories, and I've thoroughly enjoyed them all, but there are an unknown number that I haven't read, and if you were to ask me for a plot synopsis of the stories I have read, I would struggle to remember which one featured the goose, which one had the bloke who pretended to be a beggar, who killed who in the Boscome Valley one, or how the engineer who lost his thumb got involved in that press. Nevertheless, Sherlock Holmes stories are about the mysteries, and they always work best when they are seemingly unsolvable at the beginning, but forehead-slappingly obvious at the end. We hardly got that at all with Sherlock.

BTW, did you notice Irene Adler's name in the preview for next week's episode of "Elementary"?
    I'm wracking my brains to remember if I reacted to that. If she's in it, I hope they make a proper mystery of it.

Nevertheless, Sherlock Holmes stories are about the mysteries, and they always work best when they are seemingly unsolvable at the beginning, but forehead-slappingly obvious at the end. We hardly got that at all with Sherlock.
    Agreed. I haven't seen Elementary, and I do like Sherlock for the actors, who are all rather strong in my opinion, but the mysteries have been meh at best. I did not like how they did the one with the painting. I knew where the clue was all along (so would any member of this forum, I am sure) and I knew that they were refusing to show it to the audience with film tricks rather than with cleverness. It quite put me off, to be honest.

I liked how Holmes and Watson were brought into current times with Sherlock, but I'm not sure they realized the real potential of series. Series two seemed a little flat and as Paul pointed out they did kind of fall back on the homoerotic nature of the relationship in lieu of creating a good mystery.

I haven't seen Elementary, the ads kind of put me off for some reason.

I watched Blade Runner again last night, focusing more on the music. It's more of a tone poem than an action film, which is why I think it remains fresh even after 30 years. It was about the coolest thing I'd seen back in 1982 and it still strikes me that way.

Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    I watched Blade Runner again last night, focusing more on the music. It's more of a tone poem than an action film, which is why I think it remains fresh even after 30 years. It was about the coolest thing I'd seen back in 1982 and it still strikes me that way.
    Yes yes yes! It's a little bit dated, sure, but a good deal less so than much more recent films. (Pirates of the Caribbean is from this century???)

I really didn't enjoy Sherlock all that much - and it is purely a taste thing, I just dont like how arrogant he comes across in the show compared to other versions. Everything else about the program is excellent, great cast good scripts and cinematography. SO as I said purely a personal thing

As for Elementary I have really enjoyed that series, engaging story lines and some pretty good acting. I do like how much less combative his relationship with the police is. His value is evident and they work more closely with him than in other series

How far are you in?
    As far as I know, I'm current on both.

I'm wracking my brains to remember if I reacted to that. If she's in it, I hope they make a proper mystery of it.
    During this week's episode, Sherlock's friend told Watson about the time Sherlock came to see him while high, and mentioned that Sherlock just kept repeating the same name. He then indicates that he's going to tell Watson the name, but they cut away before he does.

Then, at the very end of the episode, Watson tells Sherlock, "I know about Irene. I think you should tell me about her."

And during the preview for next week's episode, Watson hands a stack of envelopes to Sherlock, saying "You might want these," and a quick shot of one of the envelopes shows the name Irene Adler. So, presumably, she's not going to figure in one of the actual mysteries, she's a woman (the woman, naturally) from Sherlock's past.

During this week's episode, Sherlock's friend told Watson about the time Sherlock came to see him while high, and mentioned that Sherlock just kept repeating the same name. He then indicates that he's going to tell Watson the name, but they cut away before he does.

Then, at the very end of the episode, Watson tells Sherlock, "I know about Irene. I think you should tell me about her."

And during the preview for next week's episode, Watson hands a stack of envelopes to Sherlock, saying "You might want these," and a quick shot of one of the envelopes shows the name Irene Adler. So, presumably, she's not going to figure in one of the actual mysteries, she's a woman (the woman, naturally) from Sherlock's past.
    Sounds like it could be quite fun.

In the Portsmouth Museum, near to where I work, there's a permanent Conan Doyle display, because he lived locally. Alongside the quite impressive array of exhibits, they have a TV monitor on which a short film loops. The film is called something like "The Case of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle" and it features actors playing Holmes and Watson who are ably assisted by Irene Adler. It is amateurish in the best sense, i.e. displaying an enthusiasm born of love rather than unprofessional.

Quote Originally Posted by LPV man View Post
    I really didn't enjoy Sherlock all that much - and it is purely a taste thing, I just dont like how arrogant he comes across in the show compared to other versions.
    Really? His arrogance is the thing that bothers me most from the original stories! Well, and that I'm certain he's making it all up.

We just watched On the Double, with Danny Kaye.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Really? His arrogance is the thing that bothers me most from the original stories! Well, and that I'm certain he's making it all up.
    I don't think it was arrogance so much as the frustration one might feel when other people refuse to see the obvious. And the original Holmes would not have gone into the monarch's suite wearing nothing but a blanket!

And no way was he making it up. Things fell into place too neatly for that.

I watched the Final Cut in the cinema when it came out, the first time I'd seen Blade Runner on the big screen (hey, I was a fetus when it came out originally). It struck me how much more human the replicants felt in their closeups. Amazing how the size of the medium can change the impact of the movie.

I watched the Final Cut in the cinema when it came out, the first time I'd seen Blade Runner on the big screen (hey, I was a fetus when it came out originally). It struck me how much more human the replicants felt in their closeups. Amazing how the size of the medium can change the impact of the movie.
    I haven't seen it in the theatre since the original, just the many modifications over the years on VHS, DVD and now according to my nieces boyfriend the Blueray version is amazing. Scott and his team went through every frame and enhanced them individually apparently, in some shots it's so clear you can see blemishes in the makeup.

Hopefully it doesn't take away from the atmosphere created in the original.

I still miss the voiceover from the original at times, but the movie is a lot more seemless without Deckards voice constantly telling and not showing.
    Last edited by starcanuck64; 2012-Nov-13 at 07:50 PM.

Just saw 'Paul' for the first time -- loved it!! Great references to various Star Trek TOS episode, ET, Star Wars, Aliens, etc. throughout the movie, though it's not necessary to be a Sci Fi buff to enjoy the movie.

Saving Grace, the movie that kicked off the Doc Martin franchise. Martin Clune plays the same character but he's a lot different than the Doc Martin movies and certainly much different from the TV series. He's a lot more laidback and smokes a lot of dope in Saving Grace.

Watching THE DUST BOWL on PBS.

Saw "The Great Plow Up." Should be required viewing for anyone with the name Inhofe.

Watched Skyfall the other day. It was entertaining. Not your usual high-tech, smooth suave Bond there, but an enjoyable movie nonetheless.

Will be interesting to see what they will do with the next Bond, who will not be Daniel Craig.

Finally got up to date with Foamy (YouTube link to all of them, somewhat NSW language in the auto-opening clip) and started rewatching Red Dwarf from the start after realizing that are two seasons I didn't know existed.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Will be interesting to see what they will do with the next Bond, who will not be Daniel Craig.
    Wait, Craig's signed on for two more movies, isn't he?

Today's traditional viewing is A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving and the Thanksgiving episode of WKRP in Cincinnati.

"You can't erase icing."

Today's traditional viewing is A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving and the Thanksgiving episode of WKRP in Cincinnati.
    Is the WKRP episode the one about the turkeys being dropped from the helicopter?

Les Nessman's reporting of that was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    Finally got up to date with Foamy (YouTube link to all of them, somewhat NSW language in the auto-opening clip) and started rewatching Red Dwarf from the start after realizing that are two seasons I didn't know existed.
    Backwards from series three is my favorite where they end up in an alternate dimension identical to Earth but with time and events reversed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backwar...Dwarf_episode)

Is the WKRP episode the one about the turkeys being dropped from the helicopter?

Les Nessman's reporting of that was hilarious.
    That's the one. "Turkeys Away," it's called. Only the first season is available on DVD--and all the music got changed--but I bought it as soon as it came out. I love this show, and this is one of the best episodes. The best Thanksgiving episode of any show.

"You can't erase icing."

Clare and I are watching insane amounts of Big Bang Theory. We got the Season 1-4 DVD boxset largely on the strength of comments made on this website, and are now over halfway through Season 5. We watched 6 episodes this evening, the most recent episode featuring Fun With Flags.

Wait, Craig's signed on for two more movies, isn't he?
    I read that he said he was getting too old for this and it's his last Bond movie in an interview. Maybe there will be a Bond:Generations when he passes his torch to the next 007, considering the plot of the most recent movie?

Treme.