Page 30 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you watching?

Ghost in the Shell: Arise

A big disappointment. It doesn't have the pseudo-verisimilitude that I've come to expect from the franchise.

It's not bad, it's actually really good compared to most anime, it's just bad at being Ghost in the Shell.

Watched Tarkovsky's Solaris.

For the first time I've seen a highly acclaimed "great movie" that I thought was terrible. It's a pretentious art house film with the length of a Peter Jackson movie, the pacing of a snail, the depth of Intro to Philosophy, and the beauty of a 1970s airport.

Just finished The Almighty Johnsons, after three seasons I found the story was beginning to drag a little but I loved the way everything was wrapped up in the final episode.

The Wind Rises, Hayao Miyazaki's final (he says) film. A great addition to the master animator's body of work.

Graham and I went to see that for our anniversary this year. (Mostly because it was a movie we were interested in that was in the theatre in March, not a great time to go to the movies.) It's really quite good.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The Good Wife I watched it on TV a few years back and enjoyed it and now have 4 seasons to get through on Netflix. It's another series executive produced by the Scott brothers, of course Tony is now gone. I was a big fan of Numb3rs and really like how the two accomplished directors/writers/producers brought their skills from the big screen to the small...which keep getting bigger every year.

Finally saw most of Tron: Legacy. The story isn't even that bad, but it has serious pacing and style problems and a somewhat unsatisfactory ending. Sadly. It could have been good.

Actually not really watching anything right now fanatically. Kind of too busy and maybe a little sick of tv. But, I came across this list of the best 20 sci fi tv shows the other day and it turns out that I've watched every episode of all 20... So, yeah, maybe not a bad thing that I'm taking a break now...

I just discovered that one of the streaming services I get on my Roku has Carnivale. So, I binge watched 7 episodes yesterday. I'm pretty sure that streaming video of every possible series will be the end of our civilization. Although there is nothing that I "need" to do, I still felt like I wasted the day.

I shall try to only watch 2 or 5 episodes today. (To be fair, it is cold and snowy and generally miserable outside. Even my dog doesn't want out there.)

TJ

Watching 2 episodes per night of Banshee, as seasons 1 & 2 are being shown on a "pop-up" channel of the Sat TV provider that shows it here, in preparation for season 3 (on a channel I didn't previously get but do now).

Loving it. (But do need to look away during some especially gory scenes. My Wife doesn't.)

Antony Starr is famous here for doing both roles as (very opposite) twins in Outrageous Fortune, a very popular local show.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

The original Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, which is about to stop being available streaming on Netflix, so I figured I should finally get around to it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I tried watching Interstellar on the Space Dome IMAX at the Space and Rocket Center. Unfortunately, the video and sound got off from each other and kept getting worse by the minute. The group I was with eventually got up left.

Pacific Rim

It's good for what it is (giant robots beating the crap out of giant monsters), but I'm outside of the teenager demographic and finding that sort of thing cool, so I doubt I'll watch it again.

It is unmistakably Guillermo del Toro, with gorgeous cinematography and a salting of the sort of humor that is present in his Hellboy movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I tried watching Interstellar on the Space Dome IMAX at the Space and Rocket Center. Unfortunately, the video and sound got off from each other and kept getting worse by the minute. The group I was with eventually got up left.
    I hope you complained.

"You can't erase icing."

One of the theater staff came over the PA system and announced that they were fully aware of the problem and that refunds were available.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    One of the theater staff came over the PA system and announced that they were fully aware of the problem and that refunds were available.
    Was there a similar lag in the refunds? You know, you reach for the refund but they don't offer it until you pull your hand back.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Man of Steel

It was better than I had heard, and Superman isn't a privacy-violating creeper like he was in the last one, so kudos for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Was there a similar lag in the refunds? You know, you reach for the refund but they don't offer it until you pull your hand back.
    Since the place was technically closed, yes actually. People had to come back when the museum was open again.
    Last edited by Gemini; 2015-Jan-06 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    Man of Steel

It was better than I had heard, and Superman isn't a privacy-violating creeper like he was in the last one, so kudos for that.
    Back in the very first Christopher Reeve movie, Lois asked him what color her underwear was, to test his X-ray vision. He explained he couldn't see because she was standing behind a lead-lined planter. She asked a couple more questions, moving out from behind the planter and he suddenly blurted "Pink!" A bit later she seemed to catch him staring and asked "Do you like pink?"

Disclaimer: I haven't seen any other Superman movies but that one! Too bad about the lead actors' later lives.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Deep Impact, a terrible, terrible movie...if you want to maintain your composure.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Back in the very first Christopher Reeve movie, Lois asked him what color her underwear was, to test his X-ray vision. He explained he couldn't see because she was standing behind a lead-lined planter. She asked a couple more questions, moving out from behind the planter and he suddenly blurted "Pink!" A bit later she seemed to catch him staring and asked "Do you like pink?"

Disclaimer: I haven't seen any other Superman movies but that one! Too bad about the lead actors' later lives.
    She invited him to, so that sounds okay.

In Superman Returns Cap'n Creep follows Louis Lane home to spy on her with her new boyfriend (a credit to this movie, her new boyfriend is a good man), looking through the walls of her house. Why? Because he used to be romantically involved with Louis five years earlier, before he up and left Earth, without saying goodbye to her, to go look at the remains of Krypton.

Later in the movie, in a move that must have made people at the NSA go cross-eyed in ecstasy, he violates everyone's right to privacy.

Rushmore

Hipsters annoy me, but for some reason I still really enjoy Wes Anderson's movies.

The Hollow Crown: Henry IV Part II. We watched Part I last night. Jeremy Irons plays Henry IV and father to Tom Hiddleston's Prince Hal. I think this is one of the only productions where they have one actor playing Prince Hal through all three plays, unto Henry V.

"You can't erase icing."

Agent Carter

I really liked the two hour pilot, hope this develops well.

There were a few things that bothered me, though. Nothing big, I'm just tired of having feminist characters who are jerks about their empowerment. Agent Carter had someone stand up for her, and she was curtly critical of him for doing so. Ummm, isn't this called being a decent human being? If someone's a jerk to me, please do come to my defense, it's not going to hurt my male ego any.

Watching Skyfall for the first time.

What a load of utter rubbish.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post

I thought it was the worst Bond movie in years, and I don't really go to see them with any high expectations. Unfortunately, given that it has been generally praised, I assume they'll make more in the same style.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post

Good, so I wasn't the only one who thought it was bad.

I didn't hate it as much as Quantum of Solace, but that might have been because my expectations were so low after Quantum of Solace.

Bond and M are such morons in Skyfall that it boggles the mind.

It's OK as a generic Actiom Movie if a bit overlong but it's not a Bond film.
    All Moderation in Purple

On a plus note I saw Guardians of the Galaxy last night as well, that was great.
    All Moderation in Purple

The best Bond movie ever was From Russia With Love. It was all downhill after that. I do have to confess I quite liked George Lazenby in the role!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.