Page 32 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you watching?

I just don't watch sports. I'm aware that "my" team is going to the Super Bowl for the second year in a row, and I don't care this year, either. I'll probably make arrangements to go to the movies that day again this year. Though it's worth noting that, when I saw Philomena during the Super Bowl last year, the theatre was pretty full.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Tron: Legacy. I have absolutely no idea why I like this movie, apart from the surround-sound Daft Punk soundtrack, which I can play in the car anyway. But I like this movie.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I know that I'm NOT going to waste any time watching any basketball or hockey "All-Star" games, nor the NFL players ("Pro Bowl") playing touch football with pick-up teams. Those games are devoid of any competition as well as any meaning. The infomercials will have more excitement.
    Hey! JJ had an interception and a forced fumble, so there. (And I read about them because the combination of the new format and the uniforms was too much to take.)

MLS has taken the course of one all-star team playing an FA club... ManU one year, Chelsea another. They were fun to watch.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    Watched Tarkovsky's Solaris.

For the first time I've seen a highly acclaimed "great movie" that I thought was terrible. It's a pretentious art house film with the length of a Peter Jackson movie, the pacing of a snail, the depth of Intro to Philosophy, and the beauty of a 1970s airport.
    I just watched this again.
    Bit of a mish-mash, for sure. I like the slow build of dislocating strangeness, and it seems initially like Tarkovsky is going to get to grips with the central theme of Lem's novel. But then he veers of into a diffuse meditation on the Human Condition in general, and the contents of Kris Kelvin's head in particular - I can see why Lem hated the film.
    I seem to be in a small minority in thinking that Soderbergh actually produced a better version - farther from Lem's novel, certainly, but picking out a single strand from Tarkovsky's film (Kelvin's lost love) and building a much tighter narrative around that.

Grant Hutchison

Well; this ones not "are watching" but "did watch"
    A week or two, I was at my mom's where she had a horror movie playing on one of those classic movie channels. It was among the worst movies I ever saw. Now, the house they filmed it in is for sale, and the news talks about it being a cult classic.

I've seen movies that were so bad that they were entertaining, but this one reminded me of the time I set up the camera in the house to see what the dog does while we weren't there.

Paranormal Activity
    a $10,000 budget and it shows.

I didn't go to the movies Sunday (all-day Jem and the Holograms marathon instead), but I will be going to see Into the Woods this afternoon.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Watching suits season 4, Season 1-3 were great. As one of the other users mentioned, suits has turned into some sort of soap opera with a lawyering twist.

the tv is virtually the exclusive possession of my daughter, so Frozen, many times over lol
    You're really not going to like it, the meaning of life the universe and everything is.... is.... 42!
    What??????
    is that all you have to show for 7.5 million years of work?????
    it was a tricky assignment.

"Live Long and Prosper" in memory of Leonard Nimoy
    "I think I'll change my name to Cliff. "Cliff, I can't see anyone lasting in this industry with a name like Cliff" in memory of Terry Pratchett

Would you care to give a brief summary of 'Frozen' for someone
    who has heard it mentioned many times but probably has it
    confused with 'Ice Age' ?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Here's the link to my review, if you're interested. Short version, it takes as its starting point "The Snow Queen."

http://letterboxd.com/gillianren/film/frozen-2013/

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Here's the link to my review, if you're interested. ...[/url]
    Nice review!
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Very good review and nicely kept the the final almost ironic twist out

Great call on the parenting, it's one thing to teach reasonable emotional control, it's another to teach fear of one's own emotion.

Just the record by the way i exagerate it's not that we let her watch it all the time, if just that if she's up and we put it on then she will cause a fuss until she gets kids tv, so it stays off most of the time.
    Last edited by malaidas; 2015-Feb-06 at 07:24 PM.
    You're really not going to like it, the meaning of life the universe and everything is.... is.... 42!
    What??????
    is that all you have to show for 7.5 million years of work?????
    it was a tricky assignment.

"Live Long and Prosper" in memory of Leonard Nimoy
    "I think I'll change my name to Cliff. "Cliff, I can't see anyone lasting in this industry with a name like Cliff" in memory of Terry Pratchett

Thanks, guys! I only put spoilers in my reviews if there's something in there that I really want to talk about--or if it's based on a true story that everyone should know, or a current events documentary, or something like that. But yeah, the bad parenting really bothered me.

Watched Boyhood this afternoon. I was supposed to be watching Birdman as we speak, but the theatre's website lied to me, and it isn't there anymore.

"You can't erase icing."

Taken 3...It's a testament to Neeson's startling charisma as an action star that for all its storytelling flaws, large swaths of Taken 3 remain wildly entertaining.

Still watching The Walking Dead. It had its mid-season premier last night. Very powerful.

Lots of folks will put it down because, well, zombies (snigger snigger). But it is really a human drama with some excellent performances. Melissa McBride deserved at least an Emmy nom for "The Grove."
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by AsmaMohd View Post
    Taken 3...It's a testament to Neeson's startling charisma ...
    Love Liam! I saw a map of the world that had little red dots all over it. "Places Where Liam Neeson Has Killed Someone"
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

Weeds. Now started Season 8, the final season. (A multiregion player seems to be the only option for those of us in Region B who've been following this.)
    It has gone downhill, in my opinion, since Elizabeth Perkins (Celia Hodes) left at the end of Season 5. But still good enough to keep me engaged until the end.

Grant Hutchison

Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World. 1980 British TV series on Fortean topics, bookended by comments from Arthur C. Clarke.

Grant Hutchison

Really getting into Better Call Saul. It's the first new drama I've followed in some years, and the first non-premium cable series for me since The X-Files went off.

We started watching Off Limits, with Don Wildman. I had wondered who this "Don Wildman" guy was after seeing a bunch of Mysteries at the Museum and, more recently, Monumental Mysteries. Seeing him out and about, sometimes even cursing a bit, was strangely cool. We're only a couple of episodes in, but it's really made me want to become an "urban explorer" and see what's hidden in my neck of the woods.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Just watched the finally of the mentalist, Jane as red john wow.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

just saw the two and half man finale, gave a few ideas.
    added, When a man loves goat.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2015-Feb-20 at 08:47 PM.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I watched Life Itself, the documentary about Roger Ebert, today. And cried. And wrote this.

http://letterboxd.com/gillianren/film/life-itself/

"You can't erase icing."

Just one more episode to go of the BBC's marvellous Wolf Hall.
    Mark Rylance is simply hypnotic as Thomas Cromwell - as one reviewer wrote, he conveys more with a single change of facial expression than some actors can manage with ten pages of dialogue.
    Not to everyone's taste, however. The pacing is positively stately by the standards of most TV drama, even British TV historical drama. I must say I enjoy that aspect of it, affording time to relish every clever line (of which there are many) before the next clever line comes along. And the lighting seems to have come in for a lot of complaints, presumably from people who haven't adjusted their TVs properly. It's deliberately filmed to reproduce the illumination afforded by candles, firelight and windows set in thick stone walls. Again, I like that - half the scenes look like they've been composed by Caravaggio.
    But I'm not sure I like what they've done with Henry (I haven't read the books, so don't know if this reflects Mantel's take on him). Capricious? Check. Volatile? Check. Exceedingly dangerous? Check. But he seems a bit ... well, stupid. Damian Lewis is a good enough actor that I can only presume this is a deliberate authorial/directorial ploy, but I find I'm having difficulty coming to terms with it.

Grant Hutchison

Saturday Night Fever, which I'm really not liking.

"You can't erase icing."

Gotham. I love the "origin stories." Robin Lord Taylor is great as Penguin. Jada Pinkett Smith is fantastic as Fish Mooney. The scene with the spoon? Yuck ... but wow!

Who needs Batman?
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

Getting set to watch series 2 first episode of Broadchurch tonight. Still haven't decided on Gracepoint.

CJSF

P.S.
    Gillian: Saturday Night Fever is fun only if you watch it as satire, in my opinion.
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Getting set to watch series 2 first episode of Broadchurch tonight. Still haven't decided on Gracepoint.

CJSF
    If you saw the first Broadchurch, you've pretty much see Gracepoint except for Tennant's awful accent in the first couple of episodes and the slightly tweaked ending.

We'll be watching Broadchurch tonight as well, I guess. Meanwhile, my wife has started watching Secrets and Lies, a US copy of an Australian series reminiscent of Broadchurch. I already looked up the Aussie series to see whodunnit. Of course, ABC may change that.

ETA: That's ABC as in American Broadcasting Company, not Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2015-Mar-05 at 01:14 AM.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Yes, but my understanding was that Broadchurch essentially ends when series 2 ends, whereas the ending of Gracepoint's season 1 was tweaked to allow the possibility of a longer running series.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

The Last Man on Earth

I was needing a replacement for Parks & Recreation, which is, of course, ending this season. It looks like I've found it.