Page 34 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 4123

Thread: What are you watching?

As was mentioned, LMOE has a good premise poorly executed. It tries too hard to be funny. "Look at us! We're being funny!! Let us hit you in the face with more really funny stuff. Funny, huh?"

It's what I call "frustration comedy." If any two characters would just talk things out reasonably ... well, you wouldn't have a show. When properly done you have good French farce. Or Fawlty Towers.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    ...and it looks like missing the DVR for The Last Man on Earth turned out to be a blessing, then?

CJSF
    Yes and no. Yes, because the series is already ruined, but no if you limit yourself to just the first two or three episodes, which are a riot.

Tonight we may watch another episode of People Behaving Stupidly, or as BBCAmerica prefers to call it, Broadchurch.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

We have a backlog of Broadchurch eps on the DVR, because the series 2 premiere was very distressing and frustrating. I feel like they have started too many major plot lines and frankly, they did not start off as very believable in one sense (the "former case" thread), and entirely too believable in another (the "changing his plea" thread).

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

By too believable I mean in the machinations of the lawyers and the subjugation of the truth by egos and telling the best story, etc. I realize many of the details they showed in the premiere related to that were not very realistic.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Did anyone else catch the premier of iZombie? It is an interesting concept, though not unique (sort of a Warm Bodies/Tru Calling mix). I'm not sure the plots will be as important (though they can't bore) as the likeability of the lead actress. You have to like her enough to overlook that she is undead and eats brains. With hot sauce.
    I did, and I'm liking it. The CW network is now tied with ABC and NBC for shows I watch.

The thing I get from iZombie is more of a Psych vibe, but with an deeper arc running in the background. it was originally a comic book, but the premise seems to have strayed right from the start.

In the TV version, a Brilliant Young Surgeon (tm) is convinced by her friend to let her hair down and attend a boat party. On the boat a contaminated recreational drug sparks a zombie outbreak. She washed up on the beach and wakes up still mostly aware of who she is. In order to get brains in a moral way, she takes a job as a medical examiner. The problem is, she absorbs aspects of the person she ate. She gets flashes of things they saw and heard as well as picking up skills and personality quirks. So, she plays a slightly different character each week. Her boss knows what she is and is trying to find a way to cure her.

Meanwhile, the drug dealer is also a zombie, but he's intent on building a criminal empire where he infects rich people and then charges them for brains so they remain mostly themselves.

The one thing I'm struggling with is why she's the only one who seems to get aspects of the person eaten.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

If I'm interested in a show, I'll usually give it three episodes to get things working. I'm also mostly into crime and mystery shows. Here are some opinions on some new ones this year.

CSI: Cyber - Didn't make it three episodes. It just hurts.

Scorpion - The premise is intriguing. A group of super-geniuses use science and engineering to help save the world each week, but they can't interact with normal people. It's sort of like a Bing Bang Theory meets MacGyuver or the A-Team. The problem is, the science advisors are the ones from latter two shows in the mix. The bad guys are comically bad at being evil, and the "brilliant" solutions get a lot of things very wrong. I'm still watching it, mainly because there are a couple of good characters, played well, and partly because I want to see how long CBS is willing to let this go on. This is CSI: Miami bad.

Mysteries of Laura - Debra messing is a tough NYC homicide detective and divorced mother of twin 5-year olds she can't control. Her Ex-husband is her captain, and the rest of the team is a diversity poster. The first one was really bad, but I decided to give it a chance because it really does mysteries. The clues to solve it are there to be seen and most of them have been done well. It's getting better.

Forever - This one is pretty cool. The main character is a guy who was killed 200 years ago but didn't stay dead. Whenever he dies, is body vanishes and he reappears, naked, in water. To research his condition, he studied medicine and became a medical examiner. It's a bit of Sherlock Holmes rip off, in that he's a walking database of facts about things no sane person would know. He naturally has a nemesis who goes by the name of Adam. Adam was killed in 44 AD with a Roman dagger. He has an idea that the weapon that started the immortality can end it, but can't bring himself to test it. he recently found the pistol that started the main character's immortality, and gave it to him to restore and possibly test the idea.
    I'm Not Evil.

Marvel's Daredevil started today on Netflix. All 13 episodes are live, and made it through 4 today.

So far, I'm really impressed with the fight choreography. Rather than put the camera on the actor's hands or have them fight around the camera as it pans around, The camera stays fixed for extended single takes of action. They're also not clean, pretty fights, like in Arrow, where it's almost like a dance. They are more like brawls with some really good technique mixed in.

Vincent D'onofrio is amazing as Fisk. In episode 4 especially, he makes the villain sympathetic to the point that it's easy to feel for the guy.

Since it's on Netflix, there's some swearing and a lot more blood than is normally seen on a TV show unless it's Hannibal.

The plot seems very layered as well with bits of it coming out in little spurts, each following a different thread to what will be an obvious center. It takes place after Age of Ultron, and is set in the same universe. There are references to Ironman and Thor, and other generic masked heroes running around the city. Overall, I'd say it's comparable to Arrow, but more graphic in the violence.

The only real complaint I have is that they seem to reflect the main character's blindness in the fact that even the daytime outdoor scenes are poorly lit.
    I'm Not Evil.

Raising Hope

I missed this gem when it was new.

The Masters Golf Tournament . Always a winner .

Quote Originally Posted by Tog View Post
    Marvel's Daredevil started today on Netflix. All 13 episodes are live, and made it through 4 today.

So far, I'm really impressed with the fight choreography. Rather than put the camera on the actor's hands or have them fight around the camera as it pans around, The camera stays fixed for extended single takes of action. They're also not clean, pretty fights, like in Arrow, where it's almost like a dance. They are more like brawls with some really good technique mixed in.

Vincent D'onofrio is amazing as Fisk. In episode 4 especially, he makes the villain sympathetic to the point that it's easy to feel for the guy.

Since it's on Netflix, there's some swearing and a lot more blood than is normally seen on a TV show unless it's Hannibal.

The plot seems very layered as well with bits of it coming out in little spurts, each following a different thread to what will be an obvious center. It takes place after Age of Ultron, and is set in the same universe. There are references to Ironman and Thor, and other generic masked heroes running around the city. Overall, I'd say it's comparable to Arrow, but more graphic in the violence.

The only real complaint I have is that they seem to reflect the main character's blindness in the fact that even the daytime outdoor scenes are poorly lit.
    I'm two episodes in, it's not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    Raising Hope

I missed this gem when it was new.
    I adored that show for the first couple of seasons.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

Silver Linings Playbook, which I am deeply not liking.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

We finally have started to watch 30 Rock. It's a very strange show. I laugh a lot, but I find myself analyzing the characters too often, and then have to refocus on enjoying the show. I don't know how much of it is due to it being about a sketch comedy show and starring Tina Fey and Tracy Morgan (both SNL alums) and Alec Baldwin, who's hosted so SNL so often. It's quirky enough to keep me watching, but I hope it either gets funnier or I can leave whatever baggage I have behind to enjoy it more.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

Also, we have picked up watching series 2 of Miss Fisher's Mysteries. I really love this show. It's nice to see a female hero lead in this vein, and Essie Davis is brilliant.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Silver Linings Playbook, which I am deeply not liking.
    I tried to watch this movie but could not get interested. Gave up about 15 minutes into the film because I just wasn't seeing a compelling story. Good acting but that wasn't enough.

It made me feel uncomfortable about my illness, which does not happen often.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

SpaceX rocket launch coming up in about 17 minutes. And, I hope, the first ever first stage landing.

Also, another dang seagul on my bird feeder...
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

My wife and I are really enjoying Call the Midwife. Very compelling stories with some humor mixed in.

We've been enjoying Call the Midwife, too. At first I was a bit disgruntled that they departed so far from the memoirs, but I like what they're doing (even if they are sugarcoating some of the spirit and essence of the "real" Jenny's Poplar).

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    We've been enjoying Call the Midwife, too. At first I was a bit disgruntled that they departed so far from the memoirs, but I like what they're doing (even if they are sugarcoating some of the spirit and essence of the "real" Jenny's Poplar).

CJSF
    I'm unfamiliar with the memoirs, so I don't know where/when departures from those occurred. I really like how they put issues like poverty, disease, and other 'social issues' right into the forefront. It puts a face on the issues as opposed to just rhetoric. And don't tell my wife, but I have a huge crush on Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by Tog View Post

I more or less binge watched the series. Not bad but I'm not sure I liked the fight scenes all that much. Yeah, the filming is good and they're a little more 'real' than what you get elsewhere, but I got a bit tired of him almost losing virtually every fight (and there's a lot of fights). Given Daredevil's prowess, I would expect more of them to be one-sided.

The Fisk character is deliciously evil.

The Oxford Murders with Elijah Wood and John Hurt, I really enjoyed this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    I more or less binge watched the series. Not bad but I'm not sure I liked the fight scenes all that much. Yeah, the filming is good and they're a little more 'real' than what you get elsewhere, but I got a bit tired of him almost losing virtually every fight (and there's a lot of fights). Given Daredevil's prowess, I would expect more of them to be one-sided.

The Fisk character is deliciously evil.
    It is very well done, but I'm starting to call him Punchman.

We are still watching 30 Rock in ones and twos. I'm not sure why we didn't watch this when it was airing, except that maybe it conflicted with something else we were watching. We didn't get a DVR until last year. I really like the Liz Lemon character. I found myself more than once gesturing metaphorically to a bunch of guys I know/knew (or the type) saying, "Liz, over here - there's a ton of us who love you just like you are!"

Orphan Black has started, and all I have to say to this point is, haven't you all learned anything yet? Do NOT put Helena into a box, and if you do, DON'T OPEN IT! ;-)

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

I've watched a few episodes of Halt and Catch Fire.

I'm not sure if I'm going to continue with it. I mean, I'm typing this on a five-year-old laptop computer with specs that would've been cyberpunk-esque sci-fi in 1983.

I seem to be on a murder mystery jag at the moment, I just watched October 1st about a serial killer in rural Nigeria at the time of national independence. Another very good movie.

I've been watching Goong since I really didn't get to watch it properly when it was aired.

Arrested Development--the Netflix series that came out a couple years ago. It's a unique format, in that it is about 12 episodes covering a shared timeline, each from a different character's point of view.

It's got its funny moments, but I'm a little disappointed. I LOVED the original three seasons. It's pretty much my favorite sitcom of all time. But this one seems like it's trying too hard. Oh well, I'll just have to go back through the originals again to compare. What a chore.

I waited this long because I don't actually have Netflix, nor do I care to subscribe. I signed up for a free month, and plan to cancel after I finish the series within that period.

@pumkinpie: I had the same reaction to the first few "new" Arrested Development episodes we watched. We just haven't felt motivated to pick it up again. I feel that "trying too hard" is fairly common with reboot/restart series. I think Futurama suffered from it; I just couldn't get back into it after its hiatus. Even the various "come backs" for Looney Tunes have suffered in a similar way. It's like the shows become caricatures of their previous incarnations.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org