Page 5 of 106 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you watching?

Because the Belk Bowl Game on ESPN was one-sided, I found myself watching Irwin Allen's The Poseidon Adventure, a great expensive-schlockfest film on the AMC channel. It's really the best of its type, but it has one of my all-time favorite filmgaffes.

There's a scene wherein Gene Hackman has to swim through dark waters to establish a path to survival for his friends. Every second counts. Someone hands him a flashlight at the last moment. Every second counts. He carefully charges his lungs with oxygen. Takes that last breath. Remember, every second counts! And, we're all holding our breath along with him!! Gasp! Choke!

He plunges into the mysterious abyss, we alongside. (I remind you, every lousy second counts!) Then, he takes, I swear, two or three or four seconds (which seems like half an hour) to fiddle with the flashlight, eventually get some light and test it, and then he swims on, the clock ticking away!

Arrgh! Why didn't he turn on the goshdarn flashlight well before that last breath? Having failed to do so, why didn't he immediately resurface, say "Sorry, false alarm! Let me turn this on and do that dramatic dive again!"

It must have been real late, and Irwin Allen suddenly became Ed Wood. One take is enough.

(Hey! The football game is tied! I can watch that now.)

Lord of the Rings extended version, I'm hanging out with family and it's kind of tradition to watch the many, many, many hours of Middle Earth adventure vacationing.

Marion Bridge, because it's about to stop being available on Instant Play.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Ah, that's an excellent film, and one I wish I'd been able to see in 3D. I don't watch 3D movies much anymore, but that would have been well worth it.

This morning, I watched Cleanflix, a documentary about the companies, mostly based out of Utah, that would sell you edited versions of Hollywood films with all the objectionable stuff taken out of it. It's amazing the leaps of logic they're willing to go to in order to explain how they totally weren't at all violating copyright law. Apparently, theft is less morally objectionable than swearing.

Currently, I am watching Candleshoe, one of my all-time favourite live-action Disney movies. I looked forward to its airing on the Disney Channel when I was a kid, and it was one of the first things I bought on DVD.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

That is a good film, it's amazing how well preserved the artwork from that time is and how sophisticated it was.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    I enjoyed this one. The film is on netflix too, I believe.
    Solfe

Last I checked, yes.

"You can't erase icing."

Watched the Hobbit yesterday which was great. And i am just about to start Season 4 of Breaking Bad
    Far away is close at hand in images of elsewhere...

Watched the Hobbit on Boxing Day. Loved it. Not why I'm here, though. Saw Mirror, Mirror last night; a silly but fun little movie which will be one for the history books. Sean Bean is in it, and his character survives the movie!
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

As always, woke up early to watch the Rose Parade. I even camped on the parade route a couple of times when I was in high school.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    As always, woke up early to watch the Rose Parade. I even camped on the parade route a couple of times when I was in high school.
    Good that it's a fond memory for you.

I remember how my grandma got the family's first color TV set circa 1960, and everybody in the extended family would come over to gawk at the Rose Bowl Parade.

Except me. i had to work hard to avoid obnoxious cousins that I never encountered any other time.

It's not the Rose Bowl Parade. The parade came first; in the early years, they had chariot races and so forth. The game has been played annually since 1916, but the parade has been held annually since 1895. People from Pasadena get twitchy about this.

"You can't erase icing."

Well, that's what they called it. The Rose Bowl Game was the most important college football game of the year in those days.

I didn't understand football at that time. I'd probably have preferred chariot races in thoe days.

This computer screen.

The cursor rapidly moving from left to right. Yes, I'm working today (employed in-home).

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Well, that's what they called it. The Rose Bowl Game was the most important college football game of the year in those days.

I didn't understand football at that time. I'd probably have preferred chariot races in thoe days.

Football????
    You mean that stop and start game that you Americans call Grid Iron, where the participants are clad in armour?
    The football season in Australia will be commencing in a couple of months....."Real football" of which we have two similar codes called Rugby League and Rugby Union....A game of continued non stop action divided into two halves of 40 minutes each....both being candidates for the greatest game of all and where men are men and women are proud of it! [tic of course!]

Here's a sample of the "greatest game of all" in a local 3 test series between Queensland and New South Wales the two Eastern Australian states where Rugby League is played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnzYTcjq5Qg

or this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aprOkdviQm4

Enjoy!
    “Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.”
    ― Carl Sagan

I was saying yesterday that I'd still prefer chariot races. And then Graham and I got all distracted by the idea of a chariot race wherein every participant was dressed like Charlton Heston in Ben-Hur.

"You can't erase icing."

Have I convinced anyone yet about the "Greatest game of all"?

or this....

“Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.”
    ― Carl Sagan

No, I find it just as boring as American football.

"You can't erase icing."

How come international "football" hasn't yet reached the stage where they can afford a stopwatch for each stadium? Why do they play with a running clock and let the referee make up the difference via his own imagination? Why can't they give the goalkeeper a jersey that at least gives you a hint of which team he's playing for?

Quote Originally Posted by ASTRO BOY View Post

or this....

How does this "game" work?

Do you bet on how many guys can stand up after contact? Does the last man able to stand get to keep the ball like a trophy?
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    How does this "game" work?

Do you bet on how many guys can stand up after contact? Does the last man able to stand get to keep the ball like a trophy?
    Hehehe....
    13 a side....
    A team with the ball makes as much progress as it can within 6 tackles...
    When passing the ball to a team mate, that team mate must be onside, that is behind the man passing the ball......
    When scoring a "try" it is worth 4 points and 2 extra if successfuly converted......

and that is basically it.
    ― Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by ASTRO BOY View Post

Way to promote thugby -- a collection of its ugliest moments (well almost, where's Hopoate's finger?) complete with Neanderthal commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by whimsyfree View Post
    Way to promote thugby -- a collection of its ugliest moments (well almost, where's Hopoate's finger?) complete with Neanderthal commentary.
    Hehehe....I'm sure all sport has there share of undesirable characters, and "the greatest game of all" Rugby League along with its close cousin Rugby Union are no exception...but of course to attempt to denigrate a sport because of one individual is rather silly.
    And it's worth mentioning with the most world popular football game of Soccer, they have more actors then Hollywood.....

I dont know a terrible lot about Grid Iron though, other then the stop start nature of the game and the military type armour they see the need to wear.

We have another game in Australia we call "Australian Rules played mainly in Victoria and South Australia and which I affectionately call "Airial ping pong"

Each to there own anyway.
    ― Carl Sagan

Well, it's officially the "Tournament of Roses Parade", but most people probably assume that the "Tournament" is the football game and not a chariot race.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Currently watching a repeat of the Czech Rep. vs. USA quarter-final hockey game at the World Jrs. tournament. The Russia vs. Switzerland quarter-final ended about a half-hour ago. Semi-finals are tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    Well, it's officially the "Tournament of Roses Parade", but most people probably assume that the "Tournament" is the football game and not a chariot race.
    The Tournament is the parade, really. It was a show-off planned to demonstrate how lovely and sunny and warm Pasadena is compared to back east. It's worth noting that Tournament House used to be the winter home of the Wrigley family.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    The Tournament is the parade, really. It was a show-off planned to demonstrate how lovely and sunny and warm Pasadena is compared to back east. It's worth noting that Tournament House used to be the winter home of the Wrigley family.
    I wonder if Wrigley considered a "Tournament of Ivy" for Chicago (to be followed by a game at Wrigley field, of course). But, as I recall, January 1 there isn't hospitable.

I wonder if Wrigley considered a "Tournament of Ivy" for Chicago (to be followed by a game at Wrigley field, of course). But, as I recall, January 1 there isn't hospitable.
    The whole point of the Tournament of Roses. There are a lot of houses along the beginning of the route that were owned by wealthy families back East (the Wrigley Mansion, the Gamble House) who came to Pasadena for its temperate winters.

Speaking of resorts, I've finally gotten season two of Boardwalk Empire from Netflix!

"You can't erase icing."

Wrigley actually built another Wrigley Field in Los Angeles for the Cubs' minor league team, and as you probably know, that (smaller) park was used to film baseball game footage for numerous movies throughout the 1940s and 1950s.