Page 51 of 106 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 3175

Thread: What are you watching?

Steve Jobs. Man, he got a lot of credit for other people's work, didn't he?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Steve Jobs. Man, he got a lot of credit for other people's work, didn't he?
    Scott Meyer, of "Basic Instructions," once said that Steve Jobs was like the kid who cheated off your test and then got a better grade than you did.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

It's a fairly common phenomenon that leaders (of all stripes) hog the glory for others' work.

Since you're behind us, I'm glad I didn't include any spoilers!

ETA: This was in response to CJSF's Doc Martin post, I didn't realize we'd gone to another page.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

On AHC, there was a documentary on what is considered the greatest raid of all time
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Nazaire_Raid

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Since you're behind us, I'm glad I didn't include any spoilers!

ETA: This was in response to CJSF's Doc Martin post, I didn't realize we'd gone to another page.
    All caught up! What's with the crazy women and the Doc!? And, regardless of the reason, they STILL HAD HIM TIED UP AND SHOT AT HIM! They can't just let that go. OK, well, in Doc Martin Land/Portwenn they can. Obviously.

But you know things aren't just going to be all chocolate and roses if there's a Series 8. Doc is Doc, and that's how we like/hate/love him!

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

I managed to binge watch all of Star Wars Rebels. I know. I know.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    All caught up! What's with the crazy women and the Doc!? And, regardless of the reason, they STILL HAD HIM TIED UP AND SHOT AT HIM! They can't just let that go. OK, well, in Doc Martin Land/Portwenn they can. Obviously.

But you know things aren't just going to be all chocolate and roses if there's a Series 8. Doc is Doc, and that's how we like/hate/love him!

CJSF
    It isn't just crazy women, there's lots of crazy men as well.

In real life, I can't imagine they'd have allowed Mrs. Tishell to keep her pharmacy license; much less return to Portwenn. She was, after all, self-medicating with prescription drugs for which she didn't have one.

They didn't actually resolve whether Joe was going to take the job offer, did they?

Well, yes, lots of strange people, but I was referring to Mrs. Tishell and Mrs. Wilton - both crazy and, incidentally, women (or perhaps not so incidental. Mrs. Tishell has a romantic obession), as in mentally unstable. Sure, one can argue Mrs. Wilton was driven to it in desperation, I suppose. I had a problem with that in this episode, because it was all to conveniently wrapped up. OF COURSE something was missed, so OF COURSE they were justified in forcing Doc to be there, at gunpoint. But, of course, if they HAD gone back for the second test, they would have known what the issue really was.

It's painful to see the Doc wanting to get it right, but he just doesn't have the skills. He needs intense and immediate cognitive behavioral therapy, or something, so he can get some coping and interacting tools. It reflects well (I think??) on the residents of Portwenn that he hasn't been outright assassinated yet, or had multiple inquiries to the General Medical Council.

CJSF

I'll be haunting you."

lonelybirder.org

If Ms. Piggy and Kermit get back together should they adopt but what. Should they adopt amazon tree frogs, Asian pot belly pigs or should they adopt something more domestic.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Agent Carter season 2

Romping good time. Come on season 3!

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    Agent Carter season 2

Romping good time. Come on season 3!
    I keep reading this is iffy. Too bad. The show is very watchable and fun. The characters are well developed.

With all the talk about increasing diversity, here's a show with several strong female characters.

Oh, well. Here's hoping.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Edge of Tomorrow

It's really, really good.

There are only two negative things I can say about it:

The design of the war drone aliens lack imagination. I'm not even a gamer and I feel like I've seen aliens that look a lot like them again, and again, and again in video games.

The name of the movie sucks. The movie is an adaptation of a graphic novel called All You Need Is Kill; why didn't they just go with that?
    Gah. Just watched it. Really enjoyed it up until the last 45 seconds. There was enough suspension of disbelief required before. Then the "Hollywood ending" pushed it too far.

Still, a good movie.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

Occupied, a Norwegian TV drama series. (We're currently catching up on the most recent episodes broadcast in the UK, so don't go dropping a spoiler on me!)
    I find the premise extremely unlikely - Norway switches to thorium power and plans to shut down oil and gas production; the European Union panics at the prospect of losing those fuel resources; Russia moves in and occupies Norway's production facilities in order to maintain production for the EU. Why would the Russians do that?
    But the drama itself is excellent, trapping various characters into hellishly plausible difficult compromises, which then go badly wrong farther down the line.

Grant Hutchison

Russia trying to occupy Norway would trigger a response from Nato, it would be WW3.

Plus North Sea oil is well past it's peak and Europe has lots of markets that it can buy hydrocarbons from
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

The Jump. Madness on a stick.

And yes, NATO wouldn't sit idly by as Russia moved into Norway.

A production of A Tale of Two Cities starring Chris Sarandon, Peter Cushing, Billie Whitelaw, and David Suchet, among others. It's . . . uneven.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

So Mr. Freeze is on Gotham now. I don't quite know what to think yet. I'm not really liking that they've basically flushed his tragic nature down the toilet; in Gotham he's a twisted murderer pure and simple. Sure, he has a dying wife, but that's no excuse. In the Batman animated series from the '90s you really feel bad for the guy, he's been screwed over by people who should have had compassion and his deep grief over his wife. He doesn't kill innocent people.

I'm watching Russian Dash Cam Videos. I used to be a claim rep for St*te F*rm insurance so this is like going from some guy humming a tune to hearing the full orchestra playing Beethoven's 5th. It has also made me much happier about driving in St. Louis.

Really enjoying Lucifer.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Really enjoying Lucifer.
    Me, too. I really enjoyed the take on how he became the devil. "You weren't cast out as punishment. You were given a difficult but necessary task because you're the favorite son."

I'm also enjoying You, Me and the Apocalypse.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I'm also enjoying You, Me and the Apocalypse.
    One of the best things on TV recently, in my opinion.
    I'm sad to see Sky have just announced that there won't be a second season. (Although it would have had to have been a very different story from the first season!)

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Rhysling View Post
    I'm watching Russian Dash Cam Videos. I used to be a claim rep for St*te F*rm insurance so this is like going from some guy humming a tune to hearing the full orchestra playing Beethoven's 5th. It has also made me much happier about driving in St. Louis.
    Did you turn up out of thin air if someone sang the Jingle? Had I not been in shock after my accident last summer, I should have tried that then sued them for false advertising.

So Mr. Freeze is on Gotham now. I don't quite know what to think yet. I'm not really liking that they've basically flushed his tragic nature down the toilet; in Gotham he's a twisted murderer pure and simple. Sure, he has a dying wife, but that's no excuse. In the Batman animated series from the '90s you really feel bad for the guy, he's been screwed over by people who should have had compassion and his deep grief over his wife. He doesn't kill innocent people.
    I wish I had inherited Ansara's vocal cords. His or Basehart's

Myhtbusters is now over and so is Buster.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2016-Mar-14 at 05:01 AM.

I need to watch the season On Demand, I guess. I'd gotten tired of MB the past couple of years because Too Many Dang Explosions. I did put on the Duct Tape Trebuchet episode a couple of days ago. The machine was Not Terrible, which for me is high praise for any sort of catapult on TV or in movies. Because most of them are Really Terrible. This one was a proper trebuchet, with a sling and hanging counterweight.
    That doesn't mean it was good, of course. The geometry made it about as inefficient as it could possibly have been. Arm too long. Arm ratio (long:short) way too high. Axle too low. Sling too long.

Take a look at the one in my avatar. That threw a heavier projectile twice as far with half the counterweight and about 10% of the amount of wood. But no duct tape.

Just watched 50 First Dates, I'm not a fan of Adam Sandler but I really like this movie.

Yes, 50 first dates is one of the better Sandler movies, IMO.

We've picked up Blindspot again, but I am starting to worry a bit on where the plot is headed. Despite whatever the real situation is, I find the number of coincidences and such to be stretching my suspension of disbelief.

CJSF

I'll be haunting you."

lonelybirder.org

Looks like Todd Hoffman is going to mine in the lower 48.

We just watched And Then There Were None on Lifetime from the DVR. Or some of it anyhow. I'm confused.

There were two one-hour episodes that we saw. Together they appear to have made up one of the three BBC episodes. There are still seven survivors. I'm seeing nothing about a continuation of the series, and some reports on the internet talk about the ending. What the heck am I missing?

ETA: I think we have it semi figured out. The TV guide channel for the cable, which we used to set the DVR. What we actually got was two halves of part one. Which was actually about 1-1/2 of the BBC episodes. We can get part two from the On Demand service and will do so in the morning.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2016-Mar-16 at 04:31 AM.