Page 55 of 106 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 3175

Thread: What are you watching?

Watched Reign Over Me last night with Adam Sandler and Don Cheadle. Adam Sandler can be criticized for a lot of the less than enjoyable movies he makes, but I think this movie makes up for a great deal or all of that for me. What an incredible movie. Usually Sandler's characters anger management issues are tedious and boring after a while, in this movie they fit so well it hurts to watch at times.
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

Doctor Blake Mysteries.

Australian Crime Drama set in the 50s.

Very good.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Well, that's it. I've had it with The Walking Dead. First they pull that story arc where Glenn plays the part of Schrodinger's Cat, then they have that mini-cliffhanger with Daryl, and now - in the season finale - they pull this?!

I refuse to watch another episode ... for at least the next six months. That'll learn'em.
    Ha! That's pretty much what I told my wife after watching the episode - "I'm done with this show." Except I mean it. I doubt I'll watch next season.

The writing is seriously bad, the acting not much better.

Third stone from the Sun, Old Country, the land of Saints, Navigators and Poets.
    Daredevil season 2, but for now (first two episodes) I'm still in "meh" territory.
    The first season was absolutely better, in my opinion, especially the spectacular Kingpin...
    Eppur si muove....

This works
    This DOESN'T work...

Fatti non foste a viver come bruti,
    ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza

Ye were not form’d to live the life of brutes,
    But virtue to pursue and knowledge high.

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    Working my way through Aircrash Investigation
    If it's the show I'm thinking about, I get mixed feelings every time I watch. I've actually participated, in a fairly small way, in a number of such investigations as well as in implementing product improvements to prevent further accidents. The subject is therefore very interesting to me. The show, however, sometimes gets stuff wrong, including pictures of the wrong airplane type, especially the flight decks.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

It's a Canadian show also known as Mayday, Air Emergency or Air Disaster depending on the country.
    I think they do a decent job with their reconstructions given the resource and budget constraints.
    They do a good job of the various flight deck and cabin mock ups. They are close enough for dramatic purposes and the CGI of the aircraft and crashes are good.
    Most of the show is taken up with the investigation which includes interviews where possible with investigators, surviving crew, passengers and others involved.
    All Moderation in Purple

And now there is a similar show that focuses on aircraft accidents in Alaska and the additional challenges imposed by distance and terrain.

It's a Canadian show also known as Mayday, Air Emergency or Air Disaster depending on the country.
    I think they do a decent job with their reconstructions given the resource and budget constraints.
    They do a good job of the various flight deck and cabin mock ups. They are close enough for dramatic purposes and the CGI of the aircraft and crashes are good.
    Most of the show is taken up with the investigation which includes interviews where possible with investigators, surviving crew, passengers and others involved.
    If it's the same one that was a good show, I used to watch it about a decade ago.
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Yes. When I was I kid Doctor Who was on PBS. Peter Davison was the Doctor and the next show he was All Creatures Great and Small.
    In linear time, it was actually the other way around. Davison got the role in part because the producer of Doctor Who had been production unit manager on All Creatures and was therefore familiar with Davison before casting him as the Doctor.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    In linear time, it was actually the other way around. Davison got the role in part because the producer of Doctor Who had been production unit manager on All Creatures and was therefore familiar with Davison before casting him as the Doctor.
    I forgot he played Tristan in All Creatures Great and Small. I haven't seen him as the Doctor, but with various degrees I've enjoyed him in Campion and The Last Detective.

This Russian Documentary about Mir:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl2p8AsIqYk

P.S., the auto-translated subtitles are awful; I guess they're better than nothing at least.
    Last edited by Jim; 2016-Apr-10 at 06:22 PM. Reason: changed embedded video to a link

We saw Crimson Peak last night. The movie was certainly suspenseful with almost-minimal gore. It wasn't quite paced right, though, so the ending seemed anti-climactic and there was almost a sense of, "Thank God that's over!" It wasn't a BAD movie; it could have been much better with a better pace and some plot-holes addressed.

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

Started to watch something on Syfy about Black Holes and Crystal Skulls but couldn't make any sense of it so gave up and changed the channel.
    All Moderation in Purple

Land of the Lost - the Will Ferrell movie

It's a lot better than I was expecting, based on the critical reviews. Is it a good adaptation of the source material? No. Is it a kid-friendly movie? Double no. It's an absurdist romp, and made me chuckle more than a few times.

The Doctor Who double episode where "everybody lives!" in the end including Captain Jack Harkness who makes an appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    The Doctor Who double episode where "everybody lives!" in the end including Captain Jack Harkness who makes an appearance.
    One of my absolute favorites. Especially the "everybody lives" line. "Just this once!"

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    One of my absolute favorites. Especially the "everybody lives" line. "Just this once!"
    I found them some of the more disturbing of the episodes so far, with a "child" constantly trying to find his mother and anyone he touches going through a pretty unpleasant transformation. The ending was great though, including how Jack gets out of the pickle he was in.

And The Doctor remembers how to dance....

We've been watching Doc Martin for the several'th time. We got through season six at the other house last night then came over here and had seven waiting for us in the mailbox so did three episodes tonight.

Season 2 of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt dropped today, and I was both excited and dreading it. Season 1 ended with some of the weaker-written episodes (in my opinion), but I was hopeful they'd get the peak groove back for the Season 2 premiere. Unfortunately, I thought episode 1 fell a little flat and felt a bit disjointed. For me this was, by far, the funniest and best show last year. Hopefully it will improve as the season goes on.

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

Still working my way through Lost, I'm a big fan of Fringe and didn't realize that J.J. Abrams also did this series. Lots of suspense, complex characters and relationships. I only saw pieces of it back when it first aired and could never figure out why sometimes they were stranded on the island and sometimes back home. Now I know it's flashbacks which really flesh out the characters and add to the suspense.

And I just watched The Princess Bride again for the nth time.

I follow 2 american series Lucifer and Limitless .
    Both are full of humour and do not take them self seriously.
    Such a change , such a pleasure !

Quote Originally Posted by galacsi View Post
    I follow 2 american series Lucifer and Limitless .
    Both are full of humour and do not take them self seriously.
    Such a change , such a pleasure !
    Those sound good.

There are a couple of similar series that I really like called Life and The Unusuals. I also really enjoy Brooklyn Nine-Nine a police comedy with Andy Samberg.

Doc Martin, the original TV movie. Stars Martin Clunes, but his character is quite different. And Neve McIntosh is really quite attractive when she's not a lizard.

Yes, I'm guilty of watching Wheeler Dealers, Parking Wars, and Forged in Fire.
    Just because you're a genius doesn't make you a smart guy

Wheeler Dealers is good.
    Practical mechanics with no pounding heavy metal music, crisis deadlines, things bursting in to flame and soap opera style personal rivalries between bearded biker mechanics.
    They buy a car, fix it up and sell it. Along the way they give practical tips and show how to do things.
    What's not to like?
    All Moderation in Purple

Wheeler Dealers is good.
    Practical mechanics with no pounding heavy metal music, crisis deadlines, things bursting in to flame and soap opera style personal rivalries between bearded biker mechanics.
    They buy a car, fix it up and sell it. Along the way they give practical tips and show how to do things.
    What's not to like?
    Seconded. And it's fun watching Edd fold himself into a tiny car. He's 6'7".

The Mummy Returns, which is silly enough but has a few things I like--a married couple that are still clearly in love, for one thing, and a woman whose intelligence isn't denigrated.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    The Mummy Returns, which is silly enough but has a few things I like--a married couple that are still clearly in love, for one thing, and a woman whose intelligence isn't denigrated.
    I'd liked the first two in part for the reasons you do, I haven't seen the last two yet.

I just watched Captain America: Winter Soldier, for and action/superhero movie I thought it was excellent. I liked it better than the second Avengers movie which I think tries to tell too many stories at once. This one was very tight, well paced and had lots of interesting twists and turns.