Page 71 of 146 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,130 of 4377

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    Samurai Jack - a new season after a fifteen year hiatus, that has to be a TV first.
    MST3K, seventeen years.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

MST 3000 first season. Go Gamera go.
    Just because you're a genius doesn't make you a smart guy

Alright, so I watched the first "new" MST3K. They riffed on Reptilicus! That's one of my favorite bad movies! I think the show is really well done and I am so excited for more. I think they captured the essence of the original run and we'll see what they do with it.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

We watched an episode last night where they called back to Eegah, using "watch out for snakes." I had to message a friend, since that's how she and I say goodbye to one another. I think they've balanced quotes of previous episodes really nicely. The show has always called back to previous episodes--"hi-keeba" is from a movie they saw in the first season, after all. But if that's all they did, that would get boring really fast.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    I don't think anything on M*A*S*H was regular army.
    I thought Klinger was a benign copy of Milo Minderbinder from Catch 22. Obviously not evil, but engaging in a huge black market and therefore able to have his own tent. He didn't rank one but that didn't matter because he was a funnel for everyone else's vices so no one could say no once he got his hands on one.
    Solfe

At first Klinger was just suppose to be in one episode but got but he became popular, his wheeling and dealing didn't really come about until Radar left. At that point Klinger become company clerk and started his version of what Radar was doing. Most of their dealing was mostly redistributing goods to the MASH when they needed them. Every military show or movie has had characters in them, even star trek ds9 had Nog, a sometimes Rom or Quark.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

At first Klinger was just suppose to be in one episode but got but he became popular, his wheeling and dealing didn't really come about until Radar left. At that point Klinger become company clerk and started his version of what Radar was doing. Most of their dealing was mostly redistributing goods to the MASH when they needed them. Every military show or movie has had characters in them, even star trek ds9 had Nog, a sometimes Rom or Quark.
    Ah, I didn't realize that.

I am watching Rogue One. My favorite humorous line is from K2SO: "I am taking them to imprison them. In prison."
    Solfe

I decided to give The OA another chance, and after 2 episodes, it's surreal and quirky, but I think I like it. Totally implausible, even from a fantasy/science-fiction standpoint, but well done. Also watched Moana. I did like it, but not as well as I thought I would. Was that Dwayne Johnson singing or did they use someone else for those parts?

What do you all think of Class? Those are some trauma-resistant kids, I tell ya, despite Ram's difficulties.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    What do you all think of Class? Those are some trauma-resistant kids, I tell ya, despite Ram's difficulties.

CJSF
    I saw the first episode and think it has promise. The second is on the DVR. Do they explain the prom, the coed who was "deleted," and/or the new leg? Or is it like the Buffyverse, where people rationalize ... a lot?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Also watched Moana. I did like it, but not as well as I thought I would. Was that Dwayne Johnson singing or did they use someone else for those parts?
    It's really him. He sang a line or two at the Oscars while introducing Auli'i Cravalho, the sixteen-year-old who voices Moana. It's her first movie.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I saw the first episode and think it has promise. The second is on the DVR. Do they explain the prom, the coed who was "deleted," and/or the new leg? Or is it like the Buffyverse, where people rationalize ... a lot?
    There's the typical Doctor Who "people are good at not seeing what they don't want to see" sort of thing, but both things definitely play a key role for "the team", as they are under no delusions on what's happened.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    You've just posted my post. Guess we should watch the second one tonight.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Agents of shield, only Coulson could get away with saying "to save ourselves we must save the world."

Watching the first episode of genius, it is about Einsteins life. In the first episode it has a little German boy in a Nazi outfit going up and asking Einstein for his autograph and saying he wants to be a scientist just like Einstein.

I've just finished Ken Burns's The Civil War, in the form of one of these antique objects, a box set in a physical box.
    Which is probably why I'll never have a Netflix subscription. I'm retired, I don't have children, and it still takes me three months to fit in eleven hours of programming that I really, really wanted to watch.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Recently watched "Einstein and Eddington", a dramatisation of the period of their lives between around 1912 and 1919.

I found it generally enjoyable and informative. What annoyed me though was the trivialising of the rest of Eddington's discoveries in his later career. Just before the closing credits, they summarised his later work as "largely forgotten".

Hardly a fair assessment of the man who largely created the field of stellar astrophysics.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I've just finished Ken Burns's The Civil War, in the form of one of these antique objects, a box set in a physical box.
    Which is probably why I'll never have a Netflix subscription. I'm retired, I don't have children, and it still takes me three months to fit in eleven hours of programming that I really, really wanted to watch.

Grant Hutchison
    Well, a one-CD-at-a-time plan with Netflix is $8 a month, so three months would cost you $24. How much did your box set cost?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    Well, a one-CD-at-a-time plan with Netflix is $8 a month, so three months would cost you $24. How much did your box set cost?
    No such thing in the UK. I certainly spent more on the physical box set than I would on Netflix streaming in the UK, but then I now own a physical box set of the HD version of the series which I will watch multiple times over the years. So it's not really just about comparing access costs.

My point was really that I'm simply not part of the "binge-watching" demographic that Netflix aims its advertising at - Netflix's CEO got some publicity recently with a statement that their primary competitor wasn't any of the other streaming companies, but sleep. Well, sleep always beats TV in our house.
    I also have a pace of viewing that may well create a significant risk Netflix will take down content while I'm still trickling through a box set - I know a few people that's happened to.
    And there's also an unfortunate lack of overlap between what Netflix offers and what I want to watch - a while ago I compared the movie and TV wishlist I maintain on Amazon and an online list of Netflix content, and there was about a 10% overlap. (IIRC The Civil War was available, but only in the SD edition.)

In essence, I'm already overwhelmed with content from my cable provider's basic package, and with content I want to own on physical media.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

one network starting to show X-files so once and while I will catch one of those.
    Also for some reason I will watch a show called border security it basically shows people trying to smuggle things into countries like the US, Canada and Australia. Yeah you forget about thousands of dollars over the limit or the two boxes of food you did not report.

... Yeah you forget about thousands of dollars over the limit or the two boxes of food you did not report.
    I stumble on those shows sometimes. Can be amusing.

In N.Z. we're pretty serious about biosecurity. A friend of my Wife was fined $400 for bringing an Apple into Wellington on a flight from Sydney. It was an Apple they gave her on the plane, that she'd put away to eat later and forgot about.

Just finished watching Fury with my Son. Quite enjoyed it. I can get put off by stuff that's too anachronistic in a movie, but this one was OK. My Son, however, was VERY put off by the stupid tactics (mostly German) in this movie. The climactic battle scene was just silly - we both agreed on that. I enjoyed it anyway; my Son was writhing in his chair.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    You've just posted my post. Guess we should watch the second one tonight.
    I've watched the first three episodes now and I enjoyed them. Most of the characters have some depth to them, making it easier to relate and to appreciate them. I especially like Miss Quill ... tough as nails with a dominatrix vibe, but she occasionally shows a "human" side. And she has the best one-liners.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Star Cops. Short-lived 1987 science fiction / police series from the BBC, with a tooth-grating theme song by Justin Hayward. Written by Chris Boucher (Dr Who, Blake's 7), dogged by ill luck in terms of scheduling shifts, studio strikes and the development of chickenpox by one of the lead actors during the filming of the final episode. There was only ever one series of nine episodes.
    But it contained some good low-budget efforts to portray free fall in a way that hadn't been done before and hasn't been done much since - simple things like arraying the actors at unexpected angles to each other, showing people sleeping with their arms floating in front of them, fluffing the actors' hair away from their heads or gathering it into a ponytail that stuck straight outwards.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    My wife watches Grey's Anatomy and it is vaguely entertaining, but I think they jumped the shark tank by making the cast air crash survivors. They added Owen Hunt, a military doctor who has seen too much combat and trauma medicine to be completely sane. Post crash, he's the most stable character. ...
    I love "Grey's Anatomy". You to have see it as a six-times-distillation of the weirdness and traumas surgeon face world-wide in a single hospital. If don't love Meredith Grey, do not bother. I named my VPAP machine after her.

IRL, a doctor just did recently in the same way Derek Shepherd died. Sad. She stopped at a crash side she just happen to pass-by to aid the victim and ended being fatally hit of another vehicle.

Is anybody else watching the 3rd season of Better Call Saul? It's hotting up....

It's one of my favorites.

I took the wife and kids to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2. My wife really enjoys this series because it seems to be our kids Star Wars... That and she really likes looking at Chris Pratt.

This one was more humorous than the first film. I laughed out loud at more than a dozen gags. We opted not to see it 3D as 3 of us wear glasses now and throwing on one more pair over that never works right. Aside from saying it was enjoyable, I really can't say anything else without going into spoiler land. Maybe in a different thread or in a few weeks or months.

On an aside, the new Star Wars Trailer was shown. It was basically the same as the one on Youtube, but they shortened it somehow. For starters, they chopped out the first 7 seconds or so. I couldn't really notice anything else, it was very short, maybe 60 seconds tops with nothing new added.
    Solfe

Watched episodes 2 and 3 of Sense8. (Netflix numbers the "special" of a few months back as episode 1 of series 2).

They were good, less heavy-handed than that special.

Some instances of the way they show the cluster interacting get a bit confusing for me; they (director(s)) seem to lose their grip on whether the others are physically "there" or not, and so some of their (the characters) actions seem a bit too much in-between what would be possible if they were physically present in each others locations, and what would be possible if they were just mentally linked. So those scenes are visually interesting, but a little jarring.

(e.g. (deliberately vague for unspoilerism) a sequence of characters from the cluster are seen getting keys from someone. The characters throw the keys to each other along the chain. That's mostly metaphor for the sequences of different selves experiencing in turn a part of getting those keys, but the scene makes it look too much like the keys were literally thrown and caught, with the final recipient - the one who's physically present - shown as not having moved at all; it doesn't make sense in terms of one physical body actually going and getting those keys.

Otherwise, interesting, complex but not painful; and I'll keep watching.
    Last edited by pzkpfw; 2017-May-06 at 03:29 AM.

Finished up Iron Fist, which remained not very good.

"You can't erase icing."

Russian dash cam videos. The carnage is epic.

Googled Binged Sense8 S02 to completion on the weekend.

Overall, enjoyed the series a lot. But ... the last episodes really annoyed me. (Trying to avoid spoilers, so a bit vague ...)

One storyline: There was an interesting plot device, but to make it a surprise they had to leave out almost all of the detail leading up to it, so the whole thing seemed rushed and a bit disjointed. Like they had planned for another episode or two then thought "darn let's just finish now".

Another storyline: A big gunfight, where regardless of all the many witnesses (and these days, cameras), a simple shouted "they did it" combined with a simple protection-by-politician gets the bad-guy away and the good-guy locked up.

Another storyline: A big gunfight, blaa blaa blaa, pretty much same as the above.

Another storyline: Big heart-felt speech after an event that needn't really have occurred (I don't mean the plot twist that resolved the issue) where and when it did. Felt totally forced and contrived. Back to the sledgehammer of the S01E01 special.

Oddly, I enjoyed them, but get more annoyed the more I think about them.

-----------

Still really enjoying Dark Matter (S01). Will wait for the end before I start S02 of The Expanse.

-----------

We're about 5 episodes into the current season of The Leftovers. (We're In Australia, now). Finding this very very interesting. I can suspend disbelief deeper than the Grand Canyon, if the result is interesting enough.