Page 80 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,400 of 4065

Thread: What are you watching?

'Later with Jools Holland'

live music show on BBC. Good selection of performers tonight.

There's a repeat at the end of the week that's longer and has more performances from the guests.

Tonights show was a 'must see' It featured Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott as the main act, they got two performances in the half hour, the others got one but will feature more in the recorded show at the end of the week.
    They started the show with a song from the new album but the highlight was the closing number. 'Happy Hour' probably Paul Heatons best known song from his 'Housemartins days wayback in the 80s.

Paul Heaton is probably my all time favourite songwriter.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

I was bored and watched an old episode of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" that was on the Local Community TV station - obviously they are all "old" this one was from 1956. It was basically a political episode about getting some microfilm out of a country that seemed suspiciously like - but not quite - East Germany.

It was pretty much a normal mundane episode but then John Banner (Sgt Schultz -Hogans Heroes) suddenly made an appearance as a cheery Train Conductor. Fine I thought, you get work were you can. But then Werner Klemperer made an appearance as a nasty undercover Secret Service Captain - with a very strong American accent. It took me back to coming home from school in the 1960's to watch afternoon TV.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I was bored and watched an old episode of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" that was on the Local Community TV station - obviously they are all "old" this one was from 1956. It was basically a political episode about getting some microfilm out of a country that seemed suspiciously like - but not quite - East Germany.

It was pretty much a normal mundane episode but then John Banner (Sgt Schultz -Hogans Heroes) suddenly made an appearance as a cheery Train Conductor. Fine I thought, you get work were you can. But then Werner Klemperer made an appearance as a nasty undercover Secret Service Captain - with a very strong American accent. It took me back to coming home from school in the 1960's to watch afternoon TV.
    HH was 1965 to 1971. Was that all coincidence?

(Or, like the number of people in a room needed to get two with the same birthday, is this a case where the pool of actors and the number of things being made simply makes for likelihood of something that seems unlikely?)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    HH was 1965 to 1971. Was that all coincidence?

(Or, like the number of people in a room needed to get two with the same birthday, is this a case where the pool of actors and the number of things being made simply makes for likelihood of something that seems unlikely?)
    I know that "coincidence" in things like the "two with the same birthday "is far more likely than it prima facie appears. In fact, the episode was a fairly likely one for actors of German extraction to be cast. So it really wasn't terribly unlikely that they did appear together - in line with your comments. But I was, and am still, amused by the conjunction and the cosy glow of nice memories it brought to me.

In fact my interest was also piqued by the casting of another actor in the episode - Peter Van Eyck - who appeared in films such as "Five Graves to Cairo", "The Wages of Fear", "The Desert Fox" and "The Spy Who Came in from the Cold". This means that three of the supporting cast were actors who had left Germany/Austria because of the rise of Nazism - Banner & Klemperer because of their Jewish ancestry and Van Eyck because of his Anti-Fascism - according to IMDb at least. Again, not terribly unlikely shortly after WW2 but still interesting to me.

Yeah, that is interesting. Thanks.

(And "In fact, the episode was a fairly likely one for actors of German extraction to be cast." makes good sense.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Yeah, that is interesting. Thanks.

(And "In fact, the episode was a fairly likely one for actors of German extraction to be cast." makes good sense.)
    No worries.

getting a booster of sci-fi, the space channel is having a free preview this month with some other channels.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2017-Oct-21 at 12:14 AM.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Nelly. Opening act for Florida Georgia Line. A last, last minute invite to my first concert in 8 years. My eyes are wide open. 8-O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tonight the Dark Knight Rises.

We finally watched the Season 1 finale of Daredevil. What a long origin storyline. And I still maintain that Vanessa is as sociopathic as Fisk is.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

I spent the evening watching performances of Beethoven Symphonies recorded at the BBC Proms in 2012
    West--Eastern Divan Orchestra with Daniel Barenboim as conductor (his orchestra)
    Performed st the Royal Albert Hall as usual they performed all nine over the season.
    Rounded with some Verdi and assorted pieces by Ravel and Liszt from various years.
    All Moderation in Purple

I've been watching Black Sails, a four-season series on STARZ about the pirates who operated out of Nassau in the early 1700's. Although it features some real-life characters - such as Blackbeard - the storyline is actually something of a prequel to Robert Louis Stevenson's epic Treasure Island. In particular, it imagines how Long John Silver rose to become a pirate leader.

If you like Game of Thrones, Vikings, Deadwood or other series meant for mature audiences, you may appreciate Black Sails as well.

I saw Blade Runner 2049 last week, decent movie... sound track is awful, villains are dumb, and there is hardly any action, but the plot is good.

The joke about San Diego was pretty funny tho
    "The only one who knows this ounce of words is just a token, is he who has a tongue to tell that must remain unspoken"

Quote Originally Posted by Mareykan View Post
    I saw Blade Runner 2049 last week, decent movie... sound track is awful, villains are dumb, and there is hardly any action, but the plot is good.
    Too long, too loud and far, far too up itself (admittedly the bar on that last one was set high by the original film).
    Some nice references and nods to the original (film and novel). Terrible waste of Edward James Olmos (though he did get to utter the best line in the film). Could no-one come up with any idea of what Gaff would be like in retirement?

Grant Hutchison

There are 4 lights.

I'm trying to watch every episode of classic Star Trek as close to 50 years after the initial air date as I can manage. Season Two snuck up on me, so I'm a little behind, but I watched "Mirror, Mirror" the other night (appropriately enough). Most of this season's episodes have been strong (I was somewhat underwhelmed by the early Season One episodes), but the next one is "The Apple", so we'll see.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    I'm trying to watch every episode of classic Star Trek as close to 50 years after the initial air date as I can manage. Season Two snuck up on me, so I'm a little behind, but I watched "Mirror, Mirror" the other night (appropriately enough). Most of this season's episodes have been strong (I was somewhat underwhelmed by the early Season One episodes), but the next one is "The Apple", so we'll see.
    I mentioned that I've been doing that as well. I was a day late on "The Changeling" a couple weeks ago - and it wasn't because I had something going on that Friday night, either. I just plain forgot about it.

Actually, the fact that I had nothing going on is probably why I forgot about it. I usually have Taekwondo class on Friday nights, and so I was watching "Star Trek" afterwards, but we didn't have class that night.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

At Home with Amy Sedaris - it's wonderfully demented and absolutely hilarious.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

What are you watching?

Life, with Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Reynolds, among others.

Alien meets The Thing meets Gravity meets the Andromeda Strain.

So so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2017-Oct-29 at 12:54 AM.

Stranger Things. Epi. 1

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Rhysling View Post
    Stranger Things. Epi. 1
    We watched the first 2 eps of Stranger Things 2, tonight. Gosh I love this series.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    I'm trying to watch every episode of classic Star Trek as close to 50 years after the initial air date as I can manage.
    Last night's episode was "I, Mudd," kind of coincidental since Mudd was such a big part of the most recent episode of Discovery.

Stella looked very different than she did in Discovery, but I suppose that could be just because her appearance in "I, Mudd" was based on how Harry saw her...
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Rewatch Conan the barbarian recently... man I forgot how much I love that sound track.
    "The only one who knows this ounce of words is just a token, is he who has a tongue to tell that must remain unspoken"

The few times I have watched commercial TV lately been seeing tie in ads for a certain movie, a car company seems to have a car named similarly to a ship and a squadron in the movie, also some cable phone provider trying to cash in on it.

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    We watched the first 2 eps of Stranger Things 2, tonight. Gosh I love this series.

CJSF
    I really enjoyed it, too. My favorite spoiler free thing about it is that I watched it with my kids, who also enjoyed it. One or two episodes a night, with popcorn, cider, and M&Ms.

That reminded me of watching The Wizard of Oz with my parents. It was a big deal when they only show it once a year.
    Solfe

Am I the only person watching 'Zapped' on Dave (UK)
    All Moderation in Purple

Wishful Drinking, Carrie Fisher's one-woman show.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post

CJSF
    One of my daughters introduced that show to me, and I really enjoyed it too. I felt like a kid enjoying a fun series where I can relate to the kids' characters.

Old episodes of 'The Fast Show'

Gosh it was good, There are more laughs in one show than in the entire run of some comedies.
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    Am I the only person watching 'Zapped' on Dave (UK)
    I haven't seen it. What is it about?
    Solfe