Page 88 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,640 of 3175

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Is there a problem with the expression "Bake Off" in North American English?
    None at all...at least of which Iím aware. And Iíve enjoyed that show several times, in both the UK and US flavors. In fact, I think I prefer the UK version. Iíve also enjoyed Artist of the Year on one of the cable channels that carries UK programming.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Hmmm. Apparently the title under which The Great British Bake Off is broadcast in the USA and Canada. Is there a problem with the expression "Bake Off" in North American English?

Grant Hutchison
    Not one of which I'm aware unless some troll trademarked "Bake off" or there are some really stupid people at the FCC (no doubt true).
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Hmmm. Apparently the title under which The Great British Bake Off is broadcast in the USA and Canada. Is there a problem with the expression "Bake Off" in North American English?

Grant Hutchison
    It seems that Bake Off is a protected name and that name was not offered to the current production team. Same concept and such, but a slightly different name. The article doesnīt spell it out clearly, but it seems that it is the same show in a different package.
    Solfe

Grant Hutchison
    Pillsbury may have a trademark, or they just want to avoid confusion.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    The Great British Baking Show? Love that show. They certainly don't make it easy for the contestants, but never do anything just to be stupidly tricky.
    Also The Big Family Cooking Showdown. One of the teams on that was three brothers who all slightly resemble a friend of mine, which made it a little weird to watch once I noticed. Another competitor looked like a friend's husband, but I don't really know him, so that was less weird. I've also been going through the "master classes" with just Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood, but they're less soothing.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Just finished Game Night with Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams. It's spit out your popcorn and spill your soda funny.

Agreed. I laughed more than once, and Rachel McAdams is absolutely fetching.

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    Could be worse. He could've written a retelling of Fern Gully with giant blue cat-people and a Marine with the discipline of a toddler.
    Great. Youíve given him a plot.
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Watched the Good Doctor last night, I know exactly how he feels about being in groups like that, I avoid them like a plague every since I was a kid.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    None at all...at least of which I’m aware. And I’ve enjoyed that show several times, in both the UK and US flavors. In fact, I think I prefer the UK version. I’ve also enjoyed Artist of the Year on one of the cable channels that carries UK programming.
    We have the'Great Pottery Throwdown'
    it's the same show but features amateur potters completing projects and tasks.
    As someone who has thrown a bit in the past I think it's great.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    The Dark Crystal--I can't believe I haven't gotten around to reviewing this yet!
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    That is one of my favorites!
    Mine too, although I haven't seen it in a very long time.

We actually saw a "making of" special somewhere before seeing the movie. The character of Aughra in the clips they showed was a bit disconcerting because she spoke in the voice of Miss Piggy with the syntax of Yoda. Frank Oz, of course. They redubbed with a different voice actor, as the did with the main character who sounded like Kermit the Frog.

Sometimes I feel for good old Todd Hoffman tonight finding 100 ton boulder right over where are trying mine gold.

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Sometimes I feel for good old Todd Hoffman tonight finding 100 ton boulder right over where are trying mine gold.
    I feel even better that he won't be on the show next year.

Is that for sure, he started it, but he does not do as well as Parker or even Tony.

Actually just answered my own question he is leaving and might consider a sing career. Just saw sing he might be the first person that people have said quit your day job to go singing.

Also like Parkers solution to a situation with Beets, if he does not let thru by the land alongside his and build your own road.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The Dark Crystal--I can't believe I haven't gotten around to reviewing this yet!

We actually saw a "making of" special somewhere before seeing the movie. The character of Aughra in the clips they showed was a bit disconcerting because she spoke in the voice of Miss Piggy with the syntax of Yoda. Frank Oz, of course. They redubbed with a different voice actor, as the did with the main character who sounded like Kermit the Frog.
    "The Dark Crystal" was Cinemark's classic movie this past weekend, but I didn't get to the theater to see it. I see they're having another showing next week on Tuesday evening; maybe I'll try and make that.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Hang on. Why did we just go back five and a half years, to the first page of this thread?

Grant Hutchison

Hang on. Why did we just go back five and a half years, to the first page of this thread?

Grant Hutchison
    Because I somehow clicked the thread instead of the "new posts" button and didn't realize it.

The odd thing was that the movie had just popped into my mind earlier in the day.

Because I somehow clicked the thread instead of the "new posts" button and didn't realize it.

The odd thing was that the movie had just popped into my mind earlier in the day.
    When I first started reading your post, I assumed you had seen it this weekend, but then the actual text implied otherwise.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

I watched Get Out yesterday, the first of the Best Picture nominees I've seen. It was quite good. Today, I will be watching The Darkest Hour.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Grant Hutchison
    Well, lets move the Dark Crystal forward a few decades. Netflix is planning a new series. They have a fairly nice website, but no details on when it will be released.
    Solfe

The X-files was the creepiest one I have seen in a while and I think Mulder and Scully only spoke about 30-40 words during the enter episode and there was hardly any other actors in the entire episode.

I watched Get Out yesterday, the first of the Best Picture nominees I've seen. It was quite good. Today, I will be watching The Darkest Hour.
    We saw Get Out without knowing much about the plot or context, or that it was nominated for many awards. Now I can see why it would be a contender.

Some theaters near us have brought it back in limited showings.

For about a week or so it was difficult to see almost anything that wasn't called Black Panther. Which we still haven't seen.

New series starting on UK Channel 5
    Fly on the wall doc umentary series about 'my' railway the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.

Series is called "The Yorkshire Steam Railway"

First episode focused around last years visit by a 'Royal Scot' class loco. It's making it's first 'gauging' run up the line, basically to make sure it fits the bridges and platforms.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    We saw Get Out without knowing much about the plot or context, or that it was nominated for many awards. Now I can see why it would be a contender.
    I'd wondered, honestly, if it mightn't play even better without knowing the plot or context. I knew as little as possible, but I thought it might work best if you didn't know it was a horror movie.

For about a week or so it was difficult to see almost anything that wasn't called Black Panther. Which we still haven't seen.
    We'd hoped to see that today, but it's not going to happen.

"You can't erase icing."

Just into 3rd season of ST : DS9, where the Defiant is introduced.

It's one-up on the primary crew beaming down for an away mission ... stick the primary crew of a space station on a starship and go off on a dangerous mission.

(
    Having said that, I am enjoying DS9 and will continue to watch all 7 seasons.

I thought Quark would annoy me, but with Armin Shimerman under those prosthetics, and better storylines than I expected, I'm enjoying the character.

In, S1E19 "Duet", Harris Yulin under all that Cardassian make up brought a tear to my eye.
    )
    Last edited by pzkpfw; 2018-Mar-03 at 10:04 PM.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

not PBS cooking shows because they are showing their woo-woo fundraising stuff, but there is a free preview of cooking and food networks.

Had a double-movie day:

Annihilation - very good, very weird, very beautiful, and very unsettling

Game Night - after Annihilation, I needed some levity, and boy did it deliver
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Just finished watching S2 of The Expanse, second time through since first watched it in November. S3 starts in April, but as UK Netflix viewer seems I'll have to wait a few more months. �� Much better than STD, shame it doesn't have a bigger profile.

Doctor Who explained Hamilton style.
    https://youtu.be/X67xMJx17NA