Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite meal as a kid?

Lightbulb Your favorite meal as a kid?

Spaghetti.

My mother made it simple: Ground beef and Hunt's tomato sauce. Which I know isn't "spaghetti" to some, but it sure was to me as a kid. I could eat two platefuls.

When mom said "We're having spaghetti tonight," that was music to my little ears.

How about you?
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Fried spam and corned beef hash. I don't have the stomach for that anymore.

Mac and Cheese. I could eat a whole boilerfull.

Funny, I can think of only a handful of things I enjoyed as a child: oranges, pistachios, and cream of wheat.

I can think of one whole category of food I wouldn't eat - kid branded cereals, especially the stuff with bright colors or marshmallows added. That is a stronger memory because most adults would ask "Why? Are you not feeling good?" Nothing stands out as a cause for my dislike, I seem to recall it as being a strawberry vs chocolate ice cream sort of choice.
    Solfe

Chili con carne, we used to have big Christmas tree parties where a bunch of neighbours got together went out and...well got Christmas trees. For dinner we usually had something like chili con carne, so it's kind of a festival food for me.

Tied for second would probably be spaghetti and New England clam cowder.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Funny, I can think of only a handful of things I enjoyed as a child: oranges, pistachios, and cream of wheat.

I can think of one whole category of food I wouldn't eat - kid branded cereals, especially the stuff with bright colors or marshmallows added. That is a stronger memory because most adults would ask "Why? Are you not feeling good?" Nothing stands out as a cause for my dislike, I seem to recall it as being a strawberry vs chocolate ice cream sort of choice.
    My children have outgrown asking for the "kid" cereals and I still get excited every Halloween because the local stores stock the shelves with Frankenberry, Booberry, and Count Chocula(?). I just accept that this is something I will never outgrow.

Eggs and bacon. Still my favourite, but I enjoy just about anything now.

Campbell's vegetable soup. Campbell's tomato soup, with a grilled Velveeta sandwich. Hamburger with pickles and ketchup at the Spudnut Shop down the block. Strangely, I don't recall having a donut there but I loved watching their automated fryer with the donouts -- sorry, Spudnuts -- going around a track on little cars in a bath of hot oil.

When my little brother came along he was an extremely picky eater, and the only soup he'd touch was chicken noodle. I still can't stand the stuff because we had it so often.

"We're having spaghetti tonight" would be music to my ears today, but my wife can't eat it because of her ulcers.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Steak, spinach, and mashed potatoes, the way my dad makes them. I still love it, so he got into the habit of making it for me on the first night I would come home from trips and now, the first night of every period that I'm home from college.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

My grandmother's homemade pasta with homemade sauce.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Peanut butter & jelly sandwich with a glass of whole milk. The sandwich had to be cut into 4 squares.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmMarsNow View Post
    Peanut butter & jelly sandwich with a glass of whole milk. The sandwich had to be cut into 4 squares.
    My wife used to work nights and after a rough shift, offer to cut the children's PB and J sandwiches into squares, triangles or circles. They still tease her about that one.
    Solfe

potato cheese(mashed potato and cheese)

and then I moved on to Macaroni cheese(Mac & Cheese)

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Steak, spinach, and mashed potatoes, the way my dad makes them. I still love it, so he got into the habit of making it for me on the first night I would come home from trips and now, the first night of every period that I'm home from college.
    I won't argue with the steak and potatoes, but the spinach belongs in the other thread.

My mom made some excellent Bolognese sauce, but in a pinch, I'd eat mac and ketchup just as gladly.

Fried chicken, although like Trebuchet I also loved Campbell's vegetable soup.

Lobster, with melted butter, baked potato, and some random vegetable that wasn't peas.
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

I was content with hamburgers and hot dogs throughout my youth.

However, once or twice a year, my grandmas and my mother could prepare this complicated dish of cabbage rolls stuffed with beef, pork, rice and onions and lots of butter (and absolutely no tomato sauce, by the way). That was divine. I could have eaten it every day, but would probably have succumbed to various heart ailmnts before I tuned twelve. No, you could only partake of this upon special occasions.

Mrs. M. learned the recipe from my last surviving grandma, and prepares it for each of my birthdays. She's probably the last woman on Earth who can do this just right.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I won't argue with the steak and potatoes, but the spinach belongs in the other thread.
    I've had yucky spinach, but the way my dad makes it is delectable, with olive oil and garlic.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Grilled cheese sandwiches
    Tacos
    Peanut butter crackers (that I made myself)
    TV dinners with franks and beans
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Home made bagels still warm with Philly cream cheese.

I don't recall having a "favorite" meal. My Dad did most of the cooking, and it was almost always experimentation. I don't think he ever made exactly the same thing twice.

The joke around the house was that you knew it was going to be especially good if it looked like it had been eaten once already.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Ground beef and Hunt's tomato sauce. Which I know isn't "spaghetti" to some, but it sure was to me as a kid.
    Of course that's not spaghetti. That's sauce. Spaghetti is the noodles.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    Lobster, with melted butter, baked potato, and some random vegetable that wasn't peas.
    Maybe not my favorite, but lobster was up there. (I don't know if I had a favorite).
    My parents had a hard time with me at restaurants because my tastes were quite expensive.

I'm pretty sure I was at least 35 before I first tasted lobster. I didn't really think much of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Spaghetti.

My mother made it simple: Ground beef and Hunt's tomato sauce. Which I know isn't "spaghetti" to some, but it sure was to me as a kid. I could eat two platefuls.

When mom said "We're having spaghetti tonight," that was music to my little ears.

How about you?

It is spaghetti, but it isn't sauce. Marinara sauce is pretty easy -- about 20 minutes if you use decent canned tomatoes. There are many good brands, but they may not be distributed in Coruscant.
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Maybe not my favorite, but lobster was up there. (I don't know if I had a favorite).
    My parents had a hard time with me at restaurants because my tastes were quite expensive.
    When, many years ago, I was growing up my mother was unusual in that she cooked vegetables other than string beans and peas (btw, canned peas are absolutely disgusting). She did complain that we like the expensive vegetables more than the cheap ones (turnips are also disgusting).

Not all the time, but I remember when I was a kid when we lived in Nebraska we'd occasionally have really amazing steak. It was USDA prime - hard to get and extremely expensive these days, but wasn't that big a deal then.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

This talks about the change in beef production. Because people wanted leaner meat, the production of USDA prime is far less common now, so extremely expensive, but it used to be pretty common:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/food/.../525425/print/

I remember getting a good steak after years of the leaner stuff and realizing my childhood memories of the incredibly good tasting steak hadn't been exagerated.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Not all the time, but I remember when I was a kid when we lived in Nebraska we'd occasionally have really amazing steak. It was USDA prime - hard to get and extremely expensive these days, but wasn't that big a deal then.
    The Midwest has THE best beef (when I could eat it). An aunt moved to Nevada in the 1950s; she said people in Reno would line up outside a refrigerated delivery truck to get Midwestern beef. The last time I sank my teeth into an Iowa burger was in 2000; it'd been years, and I'd nearly forgotten how delectable.

Living in northern New Brunswick for a few years as a kid, we sometimes caught lobsters in the shallows at low tide and it was cheap to buy from the dock, about $1.50 a pound at that time. I'm allergic to seafood but I loved lobster with lemon butter and I just assumed the sick feeling you got after eating it was part of the experience. I also loved clam chowder but I can't eat anything that comes out of the ocean now.