Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sad News - Mike Alexander

Sad News - Mike Alexander

I am very sad to report that Mike Alexander, a long time member and contributor to BABB/BAUT/CQ, and a man I call my friend, has passed away after an extended battle with cancer.

His family and all his friends are in my thoughts.

If and when I learn other information, such as anything about a memorial, I will post it.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

RIP. Mike was a truly beautiful person.

My jaw dropped.

Oh, I'm so sorry to know this!

I will especially miss Mike in the "Please Please No!" thread at Fun & Games.

We have had such fun!

Rest in peace.

My sympathies to everyone, especially Mike's family.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

Mike was one of BAUT's many wonderful users who made this place instantly feel like home when I first stumbled upon it some years ago. We're lucky to have had him while we had the chance. He will be missed.

I don't have words right now.

I mourn his loss also. To be honest, I'm really bad with names and faces, but I sure remember this one.

There's this feeling of solidity and calm that make this forum a safe place for those of us who might feel a little(or a lot) different. Some of that is gone now.

Another terrible blow for his family. :/ Missing you already. Goodbye, Mike.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    There's this feeling of solidity and calm that make this forum a safe place for those of us who might feel a little(or a lot) different. Some of that is gone now.
    I prefer to turn that thought around. I'd rather think that the continuity of this forum and this community continues, and Mike's contributions to it are preserved.

For those who may not know, Mike's second career has been as a science fiction writer, and many of his stories have been published in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I prefer to turn that thought around. I'd rather think that the continuity of this forum and this community continues, and Mike's contributions to it are preserved.
    Thanks, I was trying to put my thoughts in a positive light, what you say is true.

Well, crap. I've known Mike online for a long time.

This sucks.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Mike Alexander was one of the first two posters who welcomed me to BAUTforum. I was so hoping that his absence from the forum meant he was busy writing. I would never have met Mike in real life, although I'd hoped to surprise him at a book signing someday. I'm glad I met him here. He was a major presence in all my favorite threads. I still dip back into some of them just to enjoy his wit and deft turns of phrase.

Thanks for everything, Mike. I miss you already.
    Last edited by ABR.; 2012-Dec-04 at 11:27 PM. Reason: left out 'met'
    So many bugs, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by ABR. View Post
    Mike Alexander was one of the first two posters who welcomed me to BAUTforum. I was so hoping that his absence from the forum meant he was busy writing. I would never have Mike in real life, although I'd hoped to surprise him at a book signing someday. I'm glad I met him here. He was a major presence in all my favorite threads. I still dip back into some of them just to enjoy his wit and deft turns of phrase.

Thanks for everything, Mike. I miss you already.
    I was wondering if the ferrets needed to get a couple of days off, so they could attend the services. I even thought of really wielding my admin powers and shutting down F-n-G for 24 hours in memorial, but Mike probably wouldn't like that.

I've been trying to think of something clever and witty to post in Mike's honor, but as he would say, I've got bupkis. Thanks for posting that link, ABR..

Oh, no. I just started reading one of his stories in Analog, and had been hoping to talk to him about it. I noticed he hadn't been here much lately, but I thought it was because he was busy writing.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Mike is one of the two members I've actually met. A sweet, gentle man with a lovely wife. Now, I really wish I'd recognized her when I saw her at Norwescon a year and a half ago and had a chance to chat with them both again. It does explain why he wasn't there this year, though. I will miss him greatly.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

He wrote some lovely stories. He also wrote some scathing, screamingly funny political satire on another forum that I've been rereading the last 2-3 days. The world is less without him.

He will be missed. I never know what to say with events like this and so never try.

Wow, that's terrible. My condolences to all his friends and family.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

It's sad and ironic that Mike would have been able to write something more touching and meaningful about this than most of us here. He was a good writer, and, from everything I could tell, a good person. He will be missed.

Oh my... I will miss him terribly.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

this is such a shock....he was a fine contributor. and he will be missed...

Quote Originally Posted by gethen View Post
    He wrote some lovely stories. He also wrote some scathing, screamingly funny political satire on another forum that I've been rereading the last 2-3 days. The world is less without him.
    Could you post a link to those stories? I'm sure people here would want to read them....thanks.
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

I'd rather think that the continuity of this forum and this community continues, and Mike's contributions to it are preserved.
    Preserved for as long as the forum endures...not a bad legacy at all.
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

Riding home on the bus it struck me that I'd never see new posts with the blue eye and read intelligent, insightfull and most importantly very human thoughts from Mike Alexander. The woman sitting across from me had a concerned look on her face as I struggled to hold things together.

Wow, that is sad news.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

By a knight of ghosts and shadows
    I summoned am to tourney.
    Ten leagues beyond the wide world's end-
    Methinks it is no journey.
    Lead on, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F. View Post
    Originally Posted by gethen
    Could you post a link to those stories? I'm sure people here would want to read them....thanks.
    The forum is FWIS (I am also a member there).
    You might look in the XOF section, and the thread XOF News for some of them. He contributed widely across the forum.

I will say/warn that FWIS is different than CQ and many of the topics are adult, political, or religious.

The forum is FWIS (I am also a member there).
    Well, of course....how stupid of me...

Here's another post by Mike that I've been thinking about today.
    So many bugs, so little time.