Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sad News - Mike Alexander

Goodbye, Mike. Thanks.

I cannot adequately express the shock I felt when I read the OP, Swift. While I haven't posted at FWIS much since the reboot to 2.0 many years ago, I've always dropped in to read his stuff. I'm just at a loss for words....

I am so saddened by this.

Goodbye, Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by ABR. View Post
    Here's another post by Mike that I've been thinking about today.
    My sincere thanks for posting that link.

Only trouble is, how am I going to get to work dry-eyed this morning?

P.S. Perhaps Mike could have his status changed to Honoured Member like Maksutov?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    P.S. Perhaps Mike could have his status changed to Honoured Member like Maksutov?
    That was the first thing Swift did after having to post this sad news. I hope it remains a tiny usergroup for a long time.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

I'm saddened to hear this. I thought I just saw him around here recently and was surprised since it had been so long. I don't think I knew he was ill. I remember some of the silliness I joined in with on XOF news and some other stuff were wrote there before I left. I'll miss him too.
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

My thoughts are with his family this morning.

Goodbye, Mike.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

When I read the thread title I was hoping it was about a loss in his family (or that he was in hospital).
    This is sad news. I'll miss his humour and presence.

Farewell and goodbye.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    For those who may not know, Mike's second career has been as a science fiction writer, and many of his stories have been published in recent years.
    Does anyone have a list of Mike's published stories and where to locate them? I got to read one story in the Barnes and Noble once but I haven't had a chance to obtain it or any of the others. I'd be glad to devote a post in this thread to keeping such a list once the citations come in.

In the meantime, this thread announced Mike's first sale. Post #13 says it all.

Mike had a phenomenal memory for stories as evidenced in the Sci-Fi Literary Quote Contest. I got bored one day and read the entire thread, recording the stories used in the contest and the winners. My numbers might be slightly off here, but out of the 561 titles offered, Mike correctly answered 119. Nowhere Man was next best with 61. I suspect the results of the other various literary quotes and plot contests had similar results.
    So many bugs, so little time.

Does anyone have a list of Mike's published stories and where to locate them? I got to read one story in the Barnes and Noble once but I haven't had a chance to obtain it or any of the others. I'd be glad to devote a post in this thread to keeping such a list once the citations come in.
    I have not seen a complete list, but if you look at amazon.com and search on Mike Alexander, you do get links to at least several magazines he has published in. I think googling on his name will also hit some, though you need to google "Mike Alexander science fiction" or something similar, as there are a few other Mike Alexanders. If I have a chance this evening, maybe I'll try to put together a list.

As I understand it, he has at least one other work to be published, I think it was a novella.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I sent a message to The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction to say we were grieving the loss of Mike and some of us would appreciate knowing how to get hold of his stories. In less than half an hour the editor himself, Gordon Van Gelder, replied to me with the following link:

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?139629

These are all Mike's stories in F&SF. I know he had others in Analog too.

The editor added that not all issues are available in electronic form right now, but all of the F&SF issues are available in print form.

Everyone I know who has had dealings with this editor has said nothing but good things about him. I can see why...

Mike posted this on another forum this September in response to an inquiry as to his writings:

Advances in Modern Chemotherapy”, Fantasy & Science Fiction; Jul/Aug 2010.

“Ware of the Worlds”, Fantasy & Science Fiction; Nov/Dec 2010.

“Come again Some Other Day”, in Welcome to the Greenhouse (Anthology); 2011.

“Someone Like You”, Fantasy & Science Fiction; Jul/Aug 2011.

“In the Trenches”, Fantasy & Science Fiction; Jan/Feb 2012.

“The Children's Crusade”, Fantasy & Science Fiction; May/Jun 2012.

“The Fine Print”, Analog; June 2012.

“Deer in the Garden”, Analog; Oct 2012.

“A Diary from Deimos”, Fantasy & Science Fiction; Sept/Oct 2012.

“The Moon Belongs to Everyone” (with K. C. Ball), Analog; Dec 2012.

Thanks Paul and geonuc! I now have a shopping list.
    So many bugs, so little time.

Thanks Paul and geonuc! I now have a shopping list.
    Yes, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    IIRC, this story is the novella I mentioned above. Also, IIRC, it is about an alternative timeline where there is an extensive follow-up to the Apollo missions.

I'll also reveal a small confidence, K.C. Ball, his co-author, visited Mike just before he passed.

IIRC, this story is the novella I mentioned above. Also, IIRC, it is about an alternative timeline where there is an extensive follow-up to the Apollo missions.

I'll also reveal a small confidence, K.C. Ball, his co-author, visited Mike just before he passed.
    And I remember that in the thread Saturn V production, Mike sought help here with an aspect of that story, was grateful for the help, and then returned later to announce that the story had been bought by Analog.

The memory of a great person and friend will never pass, but rather be remembered long and well.

One of Mike's fellow science fiction writers has written an absolutely beautiful piece about him, with pictures, on his blog.

LINK

Thanks to pumpkinpie for pointing this out.

I am a sad panda. Mike is the reason that I joined this forum. His material was so witty and inventive that I couldn't help but reply.
    I'll miss the banter, I'll miss the man.
    Farewell and clear skies.

I've looked for the relevant ebooks for Mike's stories. I like to buy at Fictionwise, because they sell ebooks in multiple formats. Unfortunately, they're closing up soon. You can purchase ebooks for a couple more days there though, and download ebooks purchased there for a couple of weeks. So my advice is to go there NOW if you're going to.

For some reason, Fictionwise doesn't have more recent issues of Fantasy and Science Fiction, but Amazon does, so I've listed those here. They also had the anthology title listed at Amazon. I tried to search at Barnes and Noble, but I'm not familiar with the site, and searching on "Fantasy and Science Fiction" (even when doing a title search in the advanced search option) seemed to want to include any and all fantasy and science fiction ebooks.

I'd appreciate it if someone more familiar with B&N would double check this, and list titles there if they can find them. Or if there are any other sites (other than Fictionwise, Amazon and B&N) that have this stuff, please include that too.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    Mike posted this on another forum this September in response to an inquiry as to his writings:
    Advances in Modern Chemotherapy”, Fantasy & Science Fiction; Jul/Aug 2010.

http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b1...-Authors/?si=0

http://www.amazon.com/Magazine-Fanta...dp/B007TVYI9W/

“Ware of the Worlds”, Fantasy & Science Fiction; Nov/Dec 2010.

http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b1...-Authors/?si=0

http://www.amazon.com/Magazine-Fanta.../dp/B006R85HSO

“Come again Some Other Day”, in Welcome to the Greenhouse (Anthology); 2011.

http://www.amazon.com/Welcome-to-the.../dp/B004OYTBYY

“Someone Like You”, Fantasy & Science Fiction; Jul/Aug 2011.

http://www.amazon.com/Magazine-Fanta.../dp/B005L4IBCY

“In the Trenches”, Fantasy & Science Fiction; Jan/Feb 2012.

http://www.amazon.com/Magazine-Fanta.../dp/B007MCS0N8

“The Children's Crusade”, Fantasy & Science Fiction; May/Jun 2012.

http://www.amazon.com/Magazine-Fanta...m_sbs_kstore_2

“The Fine Print”, Analog; June 2012.

http://store.fictionwise.com/ebooks/...zine-Authors/?

“Deer in the Garden”, Analog; Oct 2012.

“A Diary from Deimos”, Fantasy & Science Fiction; Sept/Oct 2012.

http://www.amazon.com/Magazine-Fanta...m_sbs_kstore_4

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I tried to search at Barnes and Noble, but I'm not familiar with the site, and searching on "Fantasy and Science Fiction" (even when doing a title search in the advanced search option) seemed to want to include any and all fantasy and science fiction ebooks.

I'd appreciate it if someone more familiar with B&N would double check this, and list titles there if they can find them. Or if there are any other sites (other than Fictionwise, Amazon and B&N) that have this stuff, please include that too.
    I checked Barnes & Noble (I have a Nook) and they do not appear to have Fantasy & Science Fiction magazine. They do seem to carry Analog, but as a subscription; I couldn't figure out how to get single past issues from them (you can buy the current issue).

Both Analog and F&SF have information about purchasing back issues (paper) on their website; F&SF sells directly, Analog lists dealers who sell back issues.

"Welcome to the Greenhouse" appear to be available from B&N

I checked Barnes & Noble (I have a Nook) and they do not appear to have Fantasy & Science Fiction magazine.
    But they do carry F &SF in their brick & mortar stores. That's where I've purchased several issues containing Mike's stories.

of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    It's been a busy week, and so I just found this thread. Very sad news. Thanks for letting us know, Swift, and thanks to everybody for the story links.

Patrick Moore and now this... It's always around the holidays too.

I will miss him.

My condolences to Mike's family .
    R.I. P. Mike .

I'm extremely saddened to hear this. Mike was an invaluable member of this forum; his posts were always insightful and entertaining to read, and I greatly enjoyed his sense of humor. I will truly miss his contributions to any discussion. It surely would have been fascinating to meet him in person, but alas, he has departed all too soon.

Requiescat in Pace

-

My reaction just now was the same as everyone else's.
    I was away from computers since Thanksgiving and didn't
    look into Off-Topic Babbling until just now, planning to
    post a question that I had hoped Mike might reply to.
    In the 40 hours since I've got back online, I noticed an
    earlier post of Mike's and saw how many posts he has,
    and wondered if I would someday catch up to him. That
    day will now be far too soon.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Was this just made a sticky thread? I've been a little busy but I've been peeking in to see what's going on, here and there, and this is the first I've heard. I didn't have a whole lot of personal communication with him but his participation in the movie thread, in fun and games always had me laughing out loud. What a tragic loss. My condolences to his family and friends. Swift, thanks for putting up the link to the blog. It's nice to put a face to the name.

It was made sticky on the 9th. And I share your thanks for that blog link.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

He was my friend and I miss him and I am sad every time I look at this thread. Rest in peace, rest in peace.