Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ways to show your support of our forum

I'm wonder what Pamela et al. are thinking. I assume thinking was involved.

I'm not sure what to say. I may stick around, I may leave. I may complain or I may twiddle my thumbs. While I don't think this and other communications and leadership errors are egregious, I admit they do cause me to lose respect for and trust in the board and site operators.

If people are upset enough, they can leave. They can also start up their own site. Or they could contact Pamela et al. directly and express their concerns. The main people in charge are well known and have published contact information. If people are upset enough, they could start an email campaign to change her mind, or a more public campaign...

I don't think I'll say anything more along those lines as it might get me infracted or banned, even if I don't condone such actions.
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F. View Post
    I am curious how long it will take before the realization that "something is wrong". What was it last time, something like 3 days?

Hopefully the response will be quicker this time.

Upon re-reading this, I realize it was completely unfair for me to think that cosmo management had nothing better to do than monitor the board during the holidays.

My apologies for that.
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post

Pamela's blog (linked in the original post) says there
    was "a huge surge in traffic". I presume that means to
    CosmoQuest, because the traffic to the forum has been
    falling over the last year, not increasing. She also said
    there was "a huge surge in server costs, which wasn’t
    anticipated". Really? What were the costs before the
    merger? What are the costs now? If the increase in
    costs were due to the traffic of the BAUT forum being
    added to that of CosmoQuest, how could they *not*
    have been anticipated? If the increase in costs was
    due to something else, then what was it due to?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    As a manager of a very large media site, I have to add here that increased traffic does not necessarily equate load.
    The server load is only proportional to traffic for a uniform site with uniform traffic.

For a non uniform site you can for example have increased traffic and dropping load.
    If access to 'expensive pages' are dropping while access to 'inexpensive pages' (i.e. pages that are easier for the server to deliver) are increasing. The net can even be a drop in load.

The forum may very well not be the main cause of increased load, even if traffic has increased to it.
    If there are heavy Java server side web apps in other parts of the site, they could have something to do with it.
    Java server side web apps are inherently difficult to optimise and it's rather easy to put unnecessary load on a server..

Some detailed load analysis would be necessary before passing any judgement of where the increased server costs come from.

(just my 2c..)

Cheers,
    /Peter

Upon re-reading this, I realize it was completely unfair for me to think that cosmo management had nothing better to do than monitor the board during the holidays.

My apologies for that.
    Though it then follows that it's exactly the wrong time to institute any changes.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Though it then follows that it's exactly the wrong time to institute any changes.
    Unless you don't want any pushback. Like Washington crossing the Delaware.

Quote Originally Posted by Ara Pacis View Post
    Like Washington crossing the Delaware.
    That's an impressive simile!

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Re: Ways to show your support of our forum

Quote Originally Posted by KnowTheCosmos View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll discuss them with the team when we're face to face at AAS.

I've read the above comments and will try to get to them tomorrow morning. Currently in an airport.

Best,
    Scott
    Been having issues with Internet connectivity while traveling. Haven't been able to get a stable connection, but once I do, will be able to full address questions and concerns.

Best
    Scott

Apologies about delay. Getting internet connection has proved to be... an absolute nightmare. Let me go back through the posts, find my notes and hope that my friend's hotspot doesn't die while I'm getting that done. Thanks for your patience,

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by KnowTheCosmos View Post
    As many of you are aware, but some of you may not be, the server costs for our forum is paid by the donations to CosmoQuest via AstroSphere New Media, the Non-Profit which serves not only CosmoQuest's forum and Citizen Science projects, but also AstronomyCast, 365 Days of Astronomy, Education & Public Outreach broadcasts, and more.
    If you're asking me for money while claiming NonProfit, my main concern is this:

According to GuideStar, a reporting agency on Non-Profits in the US,
    This organization is not registered with the IRS.
    This organization is required to file an IRS Form 990 or 990-EZ.

This organization's exempt status was automatically revoked by the IRS for failure to file a Form 990, 990-EZ, 990-N, or 990-PF for 3 consecutive years. Further investigation and due diligence are warranted.
    Where the telescope ends, the microscope begins. Which of the two has the greater view?

Quote Originally Posted by A.DIM View Post
    If you're asking me for money while claiming NonProfit, my main concern is this:

According to GuideStar, a reporting agency on Non-Profits in the US,
    This organization is not registered with the IRS.
    This organization is required to file an IRS Form 990 or 990-EZ.

This organization's exempt status was automatically revoked by the IRS for failure to file a Form 990, 990-EZ, 990-N, or 990-PF for 3 consecutive years. Further investigation and due diligence are warranted.

A full 12 hours after A.DIM posted this, and still no response to our "concerns".

I gave the benefit of the doubt because of the holidays, but today was a work day, and the holidays are over.
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

A full 12 hours after A.DIM posted this, and still no response to our "concerns".

I gave the benefit of the doubt because of the holidays, but today was a work day, and the holidays are over.
    Speak for yourself. I've done very little work today, and don't "expect" anyone else to have.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Speak for yourself.
    I never said otherwise.

Hey, R.A.F., come on, it's not like the board is on fire or anything. Not even particularly active these days. I'm thinking at least after Epiphany or thereabouts we'll start to see some feedback.

Scott/KtC would be the one to respond, and he's currently on the road.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    Cayman Islands?

Was wondering if there was a charge for posting a link to one's homepage in every post?

Was wondering if there was a charge for posting a quote on every post?

[reluctantly de-lurking]
    Come on, now. I've been very critical of BAUT (well, formerly) and this new franken-board, but to me this "donate" issue seems to be more of a lightning rod than anything else. I don't think the implication is that without "voluntary" donations, the board will cease to be. I get the bigger picture: lack of communication, perceived marginalization, etc. and I think those complaints have merit. But then again, I felt more and more of the membership was getting marginalized BEFORE this latest merger.

I also don't understand why Phil's name is any way brought into this. It's been pretty clear now that he's made the "big time" he has no interest and/or time for us. Perhaps it's a fine time to lose the "BA" part of the name. We never even got courtesy forum entries for Phil's blog entries like we did with Fraser's... I always remember hearing how they were in some secret mod/admin only viewing area. What the heck was the point of that?

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    We never even got courtesy forum entries for Phil's blog entries like we did with Fraser's... I always remember hearing how they were in some secret mod/admin only viewing area. What the heck was the point of that?

CJSF
    The BA's blog posts were mirrored in the Moderation forum; that was all set-up before I became a moderator. I think it was originally supposed to be in public spaces, but never got set-up that way for some reason (maybe because of some content issues, but I'm not sure). It wasn't a perk for being a moderator, I pretty much ignored it.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I didn't mean to imply it was a "perk." I was just saying that we couldn't see them.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

I didn't mean to imply it was a "perk." I was just saying that we couldn't see them.
    Probably just as well. As was pointed out earlier in thread, BA gets quite political on his blog. Much more so than the board rules allow. It would have caused a pretty major headache all around, with little benefit.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    He was online here yesterday via tapatalk.

Just sayin'.

Also, is Pamela unavailable? She was running the show during the merger, so why isn't she involved in this donation "business".

Quote Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
    ...it's not like the board is on fire or anything. Not even particularly active these days. I'm thinking at least after Epiphany or thereabouts we'll start to see some feedback.
    Ok, since I'm getting "heat" for this, then you guys tell me...what would be the appropriate time to "wait" for cosmo management to respond?...today?, tomorrow?, after the weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Probably just as well. As was pointed out earlier in thread, BA gets quite political on his blog. Much more so than the board rules allow. It would have caused a pretty major headache all around, with little benefit.
    My understanding is that that's the main reason it never went public rather than any technical issues.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

I also don't understand why Phil's name is any way brought into this. It's been pretty clear now that he's made the "big time" he has no interest and/or time for us. Perhaps it's a fine time to lose the "BA" part of the name.
    Sadly, I am in complete agreement with this...I also think it time to "lose" the bad astronomy section of the forum...it serves no purpose, as it is duplicated on other sections of the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Ara Pacis View Post
    Cayman Islands?
    Glad I waited before having that first cup of coffee.

He was online here yesterday via tapatalk.
    I knew I should have looked before posting...apparently he was online via tapatalk 15 minutes ago.

Again...just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    That's why I don't follow him on his blog. It's not just about politics there, he's a political agitator. At least it was when I started it and I read a few entries and posted a few comments. It's not the same culture and behavior that he cultivated on the BABB, so it made sense to keep it somewhere else.

Ok, since I'm getting "heat" for this, then you guys tell me...what would be the appropriate time to "wait" for cosmo management to respond?...today?, tomorrow?, after the weekend?
    Two weeks, maybe a month.

Because of where everybody's located, discussions that involve the entire moderation team can take up to 24 hours for everybody to become aware that a significant discussion is taking place. Given that Scott is traveling, end of Monday would be a reasonable hard minimum.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.