Thread: Science Scouts?

Science Scouts?

As I've been pondering possible methods for organization of general science outreach one thought that has occurred to me, what about the scout model? Obviously, this would be oriented towards youth but would involve adults in leadership roles. Seems like it might be an interesting and fun way to do it with "merit" badges offered in the different areas of science?

It sounds like a good idea, I would have loved to have been part of such an organization in my pre-college days. (I feel old when I type that... they were only a year and a half ago!) The existing scout organizations do have science-related merit badges, but those are competing with all of the other badges for time and attention-- I don't think we did any when I was in Girl Scouts, although that was only for about two years.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

The Cub Scouts have electives at most levels for astronomy and geology. Bears and higher (3rd grade and up) have specific actives for badges. At camp, we do star walks.

I am working on a project on constellations for the Wolves and Bears next week. I will post pictures when I can. It is often cloudy here in Buffalo and we can't always meet on a good seeing day.
    Solfe

Thanks for the replies. I was a cub and boy scout myself but I think it might be interesting and helpful if there were an organization that identified primarily as a science-based entity. Perhaps it could be called Starfleet? I'll get right on it!!

Second Life has a Starfleet Academy.
    Solfe