Thread: Creationism in Rotterdam

Creationism in Rotterdam

Eek! I was just listening to the regional Radio Rijnmond and they had a (paid) advertisement for a creationist evening in one of the theatres in Rotterdam. The event is called "The Creation" (de Schepping) and is all about:

De film is een duidelijk pleidooi dat de mens geen toevalsproduct is, maar een wezen dat het geniale handschrift van een liefdevolle schepper draagt.

The movie is a clear plea that humankind is not a coincidental product, but a creature that carries the genius handwriting of a loving creator.

Okay, just thought I should mention this.
    All comments made in red are moderator comments. Please, read the rules of the forum here and read the additional rules for ATM, and for conspiracy theories. If you think a post is inappropriate, don't comment on it in thread but report it using the /!\ button in the lower left corner of each message. But most of all, have fun!

Catch me on twitter: @tusenfem
    Catch Rosetta Plasma Consortium on twitter: @Rosetta_RPC

Quote Originally Posted by tusenfem View Post
    Eek! I was just listening to the regional Radio Rijnmond and they had a (paid) advertisement for a creationist evening in one of the theatres in Rotterdam. The event is called "The Creation" (de Schepping) and is all about:

Okay, just thought I should mention this.
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]
    You are late to the party, the film was released in 2010. The English title is "Creation - The Earth Is a Witness". It is the classic tale of... oh, wait. I pulled up the wrong move from IMDB, this one doesn't seem to have any entry on IMDB.

Amusingly, if you search for it on Netflix...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lorax.png 
Views:	108 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	17985
    Solfe

I thought the creationism battle was being fought here in the US, I didn't realize this 'stuff' went on across the pond as well. Although I don't know if Europe has issues with folks that think creationism should be taught in public schools as valid 'theory' next to actual science, and are numerous and powerful enough that they can get a court case dealing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by redshifter View Post
    I thought the creationism battle was being fought here in the US, I didn't realize this 'stuff' went on across the pond as well. Although I don't know if Europe has issues with folks that think creationism should be taught in public schools as valid 'theory' next to actual science, and are numerous and powerful enough that they can get a court case dealing with it.
    Some religions have creationism as a topic and religions are not unique to America, so it isn't surprising that a film on the topic comes from Germany.

However, what you are looking at is a non-commercial presentation of a film. It looks as if it was styled on Planet Earth (TV show) or Oceans (Film). I would not be surprised if this was being presented in a public theater for free, but I can't be entirely sure. In English, this thread might be giving the film a massive exposure boost. Most people do this with art films or classics, but I don't see why a religious film couldn't be the theme of a rented theater night.

I took my son to a viewing of an environmental film a few years ago in such a format. It was free (but we bought popcorn) and open to the public, even though the subject matter was not really geared for mass consumption. I am pretty sure the film I saw was big enough for a IMDB review, though. I seriously think the film I saw was shown for the benefit of high schools and college students; I recall that it was close to Earth Day at the time.

Edit... er, I don't see this being prompted in schools or as a teaching tool (unless I miss understood the context of the first link). It seems to be "see a religious themed and slanted film on the big screen" sort of thing. I would imagine that there are religious people who like big screens and sound systems.
    Solfe

It's everywhere you go now. And some of them are very well funded:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/bl...ar-harun-yahya

Then too--maybe nonsense isn't tolerated everywhere...
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2321471.html

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    It's everywhere you go now. And some of them are very well funded:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/bl...ar-harun-yahya

Then too--maybe nonsense isn't tolerated everywhere...
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2321471.html
    While I don't want to touch on the religious aspects of anyone, and can understand your dismay at something non-scientific and/or incorrect being promoted; I am somewhat amused that you have compared a largely pacifistic group (movie makers) with two groups that have PR issues due to the leadership of the groups causing critical existence failure of their membership base, for what appear to be fun and/or prophet.
    Solfe

I don't particularly want to take this into religion, but advocates of literal vs allegorical interpretations of scripture have been "having at it" for close to two millennia. St Augustine (354-430) wrote about this in his work On the Literal Interpretation of Genesis, so even in the 4th and 5th Centuries, this was already an issue.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    I don't particularly want to take this into religion, but advocates of literal vs allegorical interpretations of scripture have been "having at it" for close to two millennia. St Augustine (354-430) wrote about this in his work On the Literal Interpretation of Genesis, so even in the 4th and 5th Centuries, this was already an issue.
    I have nothing to disagree with this. This has been an issue.

I just object to lumping radical pacifist groups in with groups who are radical and not remotely pacifistic. Its a question of societal damage control.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Its a question of societal damage control.
    Who will control the damage wrought by atheists? They are generally hateful, intolerant, condescending, and often anti-science.

The Ivy League colleges were not founded by atheists, but rather by Christians, intent on furthering scientific inquiry and teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by RenaissanceMan View Post
    Who will control the damage wrought by atheists? They are generally hateful, intolerant, condescending, and often anti-science.
    Do you have any evidentiary support for this, or are you just trolling?
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

The Ivy League colleges were not founded by atheists, but rather by Christians, intent on furthering scientific inquiry and teaching.
    And a lot of scientific inquiry has lead to advances in knowledge that has proved a lot of the founders knowledge lacking.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    Do you have any evidentiary support for this, or are you just trolling?
    Must I provide evidence for EVERYTHING I SAY here, or are you just harassing me?

Richard Dawkins embodies hatefulness, intolerance, condescension, and anti-science. See A Matter of Gravity, by Professor John Lennox on www.YouTube.com
    for Dawkins and Hawking's anti-science. I can provide many quotes from books by Dawkins, and Sagan, which are anti-scientific.

Since you seem to be addressing my post from a couple of years ago, I'd point out my statement was if-then styled. Who will reign in harmful atheist (or any other grouping)? The ones that aren't harmful. I would imagine, anyway. Not that I have met a particularly harmful atheist. At least not face to face. I've observed many kinds of harmful people on the internet, but I figure, what the heck, it's the internet.

There something about delayed response and the lack of face-to-face contact that makes people behave badly. I can't really trust that as a primary mode for day-to-day operations. People can lay hands on you, and not in the good way.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    And a lot of scientific inquiry has lead to advances in knowledge that has proved a lot of the founders knowledge lacking.
    Speaking of "knowledge lacking," you can't even write Einstein's name correctly in your footnote. Nor has one of your friends here advised you of your glaring errors.

One word, misspelled two different ways, "eiinstein".

Heavier than air flight is impossible. - Lord Kelvin, President of the Royal Society in 1895

If we all worked on what is assumed to be true was actually true, there would be little hope of advance. - Orville Wright, who flew a scant 8 years after Lord Kelvin voiced his wisdom

Closed pending moderator discussion.

PS - And it will stay closed.
    Last edited by Swift; 2017-Jun-26 at 12:43 PM.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules