Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Longest Crater Chain in Our Solar System, To-Date

The Longest Crater Chain in Our Solar System, To-Date

The longest crater chain, to date, was found on Mars.

Lat: 64.203
    Lon: 10.921E
    Thermal Emission Imaging System CGI Mars Map

To view the crater chain click on the CGI map and pan its length. This crater chain, one of two in this image, are the newer surface feature and cut across other craters. This crater chain spans down the cratered highlands an estimate of one third the distance from Mars northern pole to southern pole.

do you mean those dotted lines?

Oh BTW Welcome to BABB

That has to be just about the weirdest image from Mars yet. How does a meteor stream get sorted out into lines with fairly regular particle size to cause that kind of straffing over such a distance?

BTW, please accept my welcome to the board also.

Re: The Longest Crater Chain in Our Solar System, To-Date

Quote Originally Posted by FieryIce

Lat: 64.203
    Lon: 10.921E
    Thermal Emission Imaging System CGI Mars Map

To view the crater chain click on the CGI map and pan its length. This crater chain, one of two in this image, are the newer surface feature and cut across other craters. This crater chain spans down the cratered highlands an estimate of one third the distance from Mars northern pole to southern pole.
    I am not sure I understand this. You mean that the dotted lines are a series of impacts? If so, it looks like they came from the top of the screen and diverge. I wonder how this could be so.

Are you sure it's no artifact from image stiching or something like that?

Re: The Longest Crater Chain in Our Solar System, To-Date

What?? No mention of an "alien war" as the cause of this chain??
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

I think they are parallel and what you see is a perspective effect. There is also another fainter line sloping down from the top RHS in the image.

I hope some of the expert imaging guys on the board can give a clearer interpretation of what's going on here.

What the GLPers will make of it dear knows #-o

ancent mars railroads?

Quote Originally Posted by frogesque
    I think they are parallel and what you see is a perspective effect. There is also another fainter line sloping down from the top RHS in the image.
    Nope, they're not parallel. If you follow the link and follow the lines, you'll find that the one just to the right of the crater extends a long distance upward, beyond where the "rails" would cross. I'm going to side with kucharek here.

OK Ut, I'll go with that interpretation. That would mean three seperate events causing straffing lines, any ideas regarding what's at work causing this sort of regularity?

It's hard to imagine how the one at the lower right could pass right through the small crater, make a ridge inside the crater and continue in the same line on the other side.

The one at the lower left looks like it skips off a ridge and flies some distance before coming down again.

I think these are some sort of image stitching artifacts and will stick with that hypothesis unless someone can show me an actual camera image (not a mapping tool) that shows them. Too, these are large enough that they should show up on images like these:

http://pdsmaps.wr.usgs.gov/PDS/publi...1100015848.jpg

http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/moc_atlas/mc5.jpg

and I don't see them.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

No doubt they are image artefacts (seams). See how the map is a image mosaic (albedo map of the same region).

I thought at first the line on the left was an unusually long chain of craters. On closer inspection, the shadows don't match the illumination angle of the rest of the picture. I vote image-processing artifact.

The other strong line on the right, and the fainter lines crossing the picture at various angles, are obviously not made up of craters.

You mean they're not impact craters from a spread of phaser fire? Darn.

Those crater chains are not image seams, the albedo map compared to the relief map, the image seams do not come any where near those two crater chains. Specifically check the albedo mosaic as mentioned by Kullat.

I just recognized the first image isn't directly from the NASA site, but from http://www.craterchains.com/gales/mars_compose.jpg

A quick look at http://www.craterchains.com/ assures me that it should easy qualify as woo-woo.

Example:

The Cunningham / Smart Theorem
    That it takes intelligence to create such a perfect pattern of non randomness such as these OOOOOOOOOOO, there for, the most reasonable explanation for these types of "crater chains" being a nonrandom pattern, would be made by intelligence.
    Every crystal is a perfect pattern of non randomness, but this doesn't imply at all that it was made by intelligence. Nature often creates regular patterns without any intelligence behind.

Looks to me like a near surface fault that resulted in a series of small sinkholes.

That seems more likely in this case than an impact, but without actually investigating the surface it would be hard to be certain.

Those crater chains are not image seams, the albedo map compared to the relief map, the image seams do not come any where near those two crater chains. Specifically check the albedo mosaic as mentioned by Kullat.
    Prove it. Show me an image that shows those seams, rather than a map. I've shown you two images that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW
    ...On closer inspection, the shadows don't match the illumination angle of the rest of the picture. I vote image-processing artifact...
    That was my impression too. The sunlit sides of the lines (if they were mini craters,) don't match the sunlit sides of the larger normal craters.

Thank you ToSeek, but your first url does not work and the second shows a great image with the long and lat grid lines but no seams, try try again.

I don't see them in this view either. I think the large and small craters are the same as those in the picture in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by kucharek
    A quick look at http://www.craterchains.com/ assures me that it should easy qualify as woo-woo.
    I'm sorry...I assumed that everyone would recognize FieryIce...

...a short history...

About 6 months ago, a poster (Craterchains) started posting "stuff" about how crater chains on other planets and moons are actually evidence of an ancient alien war. FieryIce is Craterchains "partner" in this "theory". Craterchains was banned because he couldn't follow the rules of the board. FieryIce hasn't posted since then (that I know of)...until today.
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

Well this sucks. You see something that jumps at you and you think, woo! Then, as per normal, it is a fool trying to make another fool. When I first saw that double track I hoped that it was something neat. I am glad I was not credulous. I sure wished to be.

I have little real understanding as to how things happen, but, even I saw something that was not right.

It's rather simple to see the artifacting invovled. You can trace the seams in the imagery into other frames and across other surface features. Nothing mysterious.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcelt
    even I saw something that was not right.
    Your exactly right snowcelt, there is definitely something not right. The images speak for themselves, ones like FAF can criticize me all they want, can put me down all they want but it does not affect the facts.

The facts remain.

oh fiddlesticks

...ones like FAF can criticize me all they want, can put me down all they want but it does not affect the facts.
    Where have "I put you down"? (I assume that you're talking about me ). All that I've ever said on the subject, is that there is no evidence to support the idea that crater chains are evidence of an ancient alien war.

Thank you ToSeek, but your first url does not work and the second shows a great image with the long and lat grid lines but no seams, try try again.
    The point of the second image is that it doesn't show what your image shows.

To retrieve the first image, you apparently have to reconstruct my steps, starting here.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek
    The point of the second image is that it doesn't show what your image shows.

To retrieve the first image, you apparently have to reconstruct my steps, starting here.
    WOW website is pretty cool. 8)