Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum rebuild [almost] complete!

Dates are formatted dd-mm-yyyy. That's kind of confusing for Yanks like me. I don't see "date format" in the settings page.

Fred
    Hey, you! "It's" with an apostrophe means "it is" or "it has." "Its" without an apostrophe means "belongs to it."

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
    -- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684

Earth's sole legacy will be a very slight increase (0.01%) of the solar metallicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
    Dates are formatted dd-mm-yyyy. That's kind of confusing for Yanks like me. I don't see "date format" in the settings page.
    Well, at least we can appreciate the confusion 'merican-style causes our British cousins. An option would be nice.

(And it brings up the question, why is this date style the default?)

Quote Originally Posted by Lurking Nerd View Post
    Here's another small one. I read all the posts in a forum but the forum doesn't get marked as read until I look at the threads in the forum again.
    I think it defaults to a different "posts read" update setting. Here's a prior post with information I found on "Thread/Forum Read Marking Type":

http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthre...=1#post2060105
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2013-Feb-25 at 04:18 AM.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post

Fred
    cool.. i wasn't the only one that was thrown off by this..

also, i can't put my sig line back to how it was because the infamous "moon man" thread that i linked to in it seems to have been purged from existence..
    Last edited by novaderrik; 2013-Feb-25 at 04:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
    cool.. i wasn't the only one that was thrown off by this..

also, i can't put my sig line back to how it was because the infamous "moon man" thread that i linked to in it seems to have been purged from existence..
    This one? http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthre...xed&highlight=

yeah. that's the one... didn't show up in the search for me...
    i feel like i need to preserve the memory of that thread, for it is as the kids say "epic"..

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I'm also not sure where to find my former avatar. I guess I downloaded or uploaded it from somewhere. . .
    I tracked down mine (and Gillianren's) by doing a directed Google image search, e.g., "ToSeek site:cosmoquest.org". Bearded mirror Spock was in the second row, still tabbed as an avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Well, at least we can appreciate the confusion 'merican-style causes our British cousins. An option would be nice.

(And it brings up the question, why is this date style the default?)
    Fairly certain I resolved this immediately after the rebuild. I'm seeing it in international format of DDMMYYYY on my end. Is that different for everyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I've noticed the same problem
    Yes, I'm aware of this as well. When I get back to the office today I'll catch up with my support team to see where we're at as far as resolving any of the remaining issues.

Thank you all for your patience.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by KnowTheCosmos View Post
    Fairly certain I resolved this immediately after the rebuild. I'm seeing it in international format of DDMMYYYY on my end. Is that different for everyone else?
    I am seeing dates as dd-mm-yyyy. I used to see mm-dd-yyyy; have for as long as I remember. I don't recall if this was a personal option or not, or where an individual might set it.

If it is set at the forum level, it used to be set differently. I won't show any date-ism and express a preference for the board default.

I am seeing dates as dd-mm-yyyy. I used to see mm-dd-yyyy; have for as long as I remember. I don't recall if this was a personal option or not, or where an individual might set it.

If it is set at the forum level, it used to be set differently. I won't show any date-ism and express a preference for the board default.
    Gotcha. Alright, I'll take a look at it when I'm back in the office. Will be on campus for the next 5 hours, then will be back to work on the forum and such.

Best,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by KnowTheCosmos View Post
    A lot of the issues that have sprung up seem to be due to cached settings, which are currently being flushed and rebuilt. I'll be here as long as I need to today getting things working.
    Is this still going on (flushing and rebuilding the caches), pariticularly with regard to personal info, avatars and signatures, or is this complete? I want to know if I should abandon hope that the software will reinstall my avatar, signature and personal information, and just redo it myself.

I'm getting a strange behavior from read posts.
    After I read (or mark as read) all the posts in a forum I go back to the top level and the forum says there are still unread posts.
    If I go back to the forum, and back out then it will show correctly.

edit to add, although I seem to be able to post OK and the post count and join date show up accurately.

I've always seen it as dd-mm-yyyy so i think it was localized. Probably through browser settings rather than a personal forum option i would assume, so it may be a option in vbulletin that gives a choice between several date formats or "use browser settings" or something like that.

Would it be possible to switch the places of "Science and Technology" and "Geology & Planetary Surfaces"? Having S&T as the last in that section seems to fit more with a "first all specific sciences and then the forum for everything that doesn't fit in the above". At least that's what it says in the forum description for S&T.

Quote Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
    Would it be possible to switch the places of "Science and Technology" and "Geology & Planetary Surfaces"? Having S&T as the last in that section seems to fit more with a "first all specific sciences and then the forum for everything that doesn't fit in the above". At least that's what it says in the forum description for S&T.
    Actually, we were considering folding Geology & Planetary Surfaces back into S&T (where it used to be), but I think we are waiting till other issues get fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    After I read (or mark as read) all the posts in a forum I go back to the top level and the forum says there are still unread posts.
    It has been noted:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurking Nerd View Post
    Here's another small one. I read all the posts in a forum but the forum doesn't get marked as read until I look at the threads in the forum again. For example, I was reading this thread. Since it was the last post to read, I went directly to the forum Introductions and Feedback. After reading that, I then click on the About the Forums and it shows that there are unread posts in the Forum Rules forum but when I go in there are none. I remember this being brought up after the merger and ToSeek mentioned a setting for updating this status but I couldn't find that post with a quick search.
    I've noticed the same problem

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    It's always been that way for me if I go back to the forum top level through my browser (IE8) history as it does not automatically refresh the page from that path.
    "There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. There is much you have to learn. Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Quote Originally Posted by Luckmeister View Post
    It's always been that way for me if I go back to the forum top level through my browser (IE8) history as it does not automatically refresh the page from that path.
    I think that is true for everyone, if you just hit the back button on your browser. The problem now is that if you don't do that, but instead scroll to the top of the page you are on (like this one) and hit the link to Forum (the front page), which will reload the page, it still doesn't update that immediately. We had this problem before (post merger) and found a fix - we will need to rediscover it.

Are the RSS feeds going to be enabled? I used to get reference those and can't anymore.

It has been noted:
    Thanks; I guess I missed it, or passed off the comment as part of losing all the personal information at time of update (like last read post).
    (btw: it seems like an explicit "mark this forum as read" is ok)

Two small items I've noticed that I don't think have been mentioned already.

1. On the red bar at the bottom of all pages is a link to CosmoQuest. This now goes to the main page for "CosmoQuest.org" instead of "http://cosmoquest.org/forum/forum.php. There is a button marked "Forum" at the top of the page, but I always found it convenient to have a button for the forum index at the bottom of the page as well.

2. I seem to be getting automatically logged out of the system after a very short time -- maybe 10-15 minutes*. This log-out time was considerably longer before the forum rebuild and I can't find a setting where I can manually make this adjustment.

3. Forum skin...okay, make that three, THREE, items....

*ETA: I just got logged out after 15 minutes.
    Last edited by ABR.; 2013-Feb-25 at 07:02 PM. Reason: tested automatic log-out time
    So many bugs, so little time.

I have this odd glitch where if I post last in a thead and then go to usercp.php or hit the New Posts link, I see that thread. In the past, neither item showed me my own posts as "new".

Edit - There also seems to be an incredible amount of space between my post and my sig line. I did go back and check to make sure I didn't screw up my own sig line.
    Solfe

I think that is true for everyone, if you just hit the back button on your browser. The problem now is that if you don't do that, but instead scroll to the top of the page you are on (like this one) and hit the link to Forum (the front page), which will reload the page, it still doesn't update that immediately. We had this problem before (post merger) and found a fix - we will need to rediscover it.
    Wasn't that by changing "Thread/Forum Read Marking Type" to option 3?

Again:

The types:

1) Inactivity/Cookie Based
    Once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the cookie timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies. This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

2) Database (no automatic forum marking)
    This option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum. This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

3) Database (automatic forum marking)
    This option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read. This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I think it defaults to a different "posts read" update setting. Here's a prior post with information I found on "Thread/Forum Read Marking Type":

Excellent. That was the exact post I was thinking of but just couldn't find for whatever reason. Two post later, ToSeek said he selected option #3 so it would be nice to do that again.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Wasn't that by changing "Thread/Forum Read Marking Type" to option 3?

Again:

The types:

1) Inactivity/Cookie Based
    Once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the cookie timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies. This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

2) Database (no automatic forum marking)
    This option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum. This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

3) Database (automatic forum marking)
    This option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read. This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.
    Brilliant!

It is actually currently set to Type 1. I'll set it to 3 and we'll see what happens.

I also expanded it back to 30 posts per page; it was set to 10 after the rebuild.

I'm not sure how far back this goes, but I'm currently having literally dozens of threads marked as having new posts, despite the fact that they haven't had new posts since the last time I looked at them. When I check them, it takes me to posts made a week or so ago--even if there are posts made after I checked that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I'm not sure how far back this goes, but I'm currently having literally dozens of threads marked as having new posts, despite the fact that they haven't had new posts since the last time I looked at them. When I check them, it takes me to posts made a week or so ago--even if there are posts made after I checked that one.
    I'm pretty sure it is because of the change I just made (I see the same thing too). I'm guessing that it reset to a pre-rebuild state for all of us, and that once you've marked things read, it should work properly again. I'm blundering through this as best as I can.

SW of the town of Maricopa, AZ. This is in the southern Arizona desert.
    I'm pretty sure it is because of the change I just made (I see the same thing too). I'm guessing that it reset to a pre-rebuild state for all of us, and that once you've marked things read, it should work properly again. I'm blundering through this as best as I can.
    OK, I read the thread earlier today. I have read this thread before and I entered today from the forum page. I read to post #84.

I logged out and just came back. I entered from the forum page and instead of being send to the first unread post, I was sent to the first post of the thread.

I tried posting this message, and the system told me that the file was too large to process.

AND all of my posts still require moderator approval.