Thread: smart 1

smart 1

Is there any possibility that the European Smart 1 probe will difinitively disprove the woo woos in regard to their claim that the lunar landings were faked? I am of course thinking of images of landing gear ect.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4006293.stm

all the best
    Trob

The betting money is that woo-woo's would simply claim the ESA pictures are faked. (As to why the Europeans would cooperate --- well, it's that old "Powers-that-be-Illuminati" thing --- or maybe we'll sell them wheat or something.)

It would be interesting to get a prominent HB on record to see what they expect from the Smart-1 pictures, and then see how they dodge when the pictures roll in.

No, because no matter how good the pictures - and I have no idea of SMART-1's ability to image Apollo artifacts - the woowoos would simply claim that they are fakes.

added: blast it, pghnegative! You Jayed me! :wink:

Well....rockets don't work in a vacume, so I guess the whole smart 1 probe is fake too

I suppose youre right about the woo woos #-o ... but, and were back in the real world now , are there any plans for taking such pictures.

all the best
    Trob

Pixel resolution is 30-80 meters. That's not going to be good enough to register any artificial objects left on the Moon.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Thats too bad about the resolution...
    However, I seem to remember something about some equipment on board the lander being used to measure the distance to earth!????? Lasers or something were involved?
    Is this my imagination or what, and if it is true, why is it not mentioned more often.

All the best
    Trob

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek
    Pixel resolution is 30-80 meters. That's not going to be good enough to register any artificial objects left on the Moon.
    Will they use this as "proof" that no landings took place since Smart 1 can't see anything? [HB]If Smart 1 can't see them then obviously we never went to the moon[/HB] #-o

Quote Originally Posted by trob
    However, I seem to remember something about some equipment on board the lander being used to measure the distance to earth!????? Lasers or something were involved?
    Is this my imagination or what, and if it is true, why is it not mentioned more often.
    Definitely not your imagination, more about this here, here, and here. The McDonald Laser Ranging Station here in Texas is one of the facilities still utilizing them on a regular basis.

I've experienced hoax believers in the past who just claim these reflector arrays could have been placed on the lunar surface robotically or by some other unmanned mission(s). It's unfortunate that some people are utterly immune to evidence, reason, and logic.

Is Smart 1 satelite the first to use an ion engine?

(Edit: 300th Post! )

Quote Originally Posted by iFire
    Is Smart 1 satelite the first to use an ion engine?

(Edit: 300th Post! )
    No.

And congrats!
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

No, but to my knowledge it is the first to use one in a translunar trajectory.

Ion engines are optional accessories on the Boeing 701 satellite chassis, making them fully commercially available. And remember Deep Space One, the autonomous little bug that explored portions of the solar system.

Now I understand why the term ToSeeked has been employed here as a verb so often. Went to get a Coke after hitting the "preview" button in response to iFire's question... and you know the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine
    I've experienced hoax believers in the past who just claim these reflector arrays could have been placed on the lunar surface robotically or by some other unmanned mission(s). It's unfortunate that some people are utterly immune to evidence, reason, and logic.
    Well, in fairness, two corner-cube reflectors were placed by unmanned Russian Lunakhod missions. They tend not to be used for retro-ranging purposes however, because they are not as well aligned as the (manually aligned, of course!) Apollo LRRRs.

Quote Originally Posted by AGN Fuel
    Well, in fairness, two corner-cube reflectors were placed by unmanned Russian Lunakhod missions. They tend not to be used for retro-ranging purposes however, because they are not as well aligned as the (manually aligned, of course!) Apollo LRRRs.
    Oh, understood! In the above context though where trob introduced Apollo specifically, I was coming from the perspective of as if there weren't already enough other evidence to demonstrate authenticity -- I tend to think of the LRRRs as the proverbial cherry on the sundae in these sorts of discussions.

While the Russians did complete unmanned missions, I just consider it pretty silly for HBers to arbitrarily assume that's how the others were put in place. Hence my comments (and, been there done that ](*,) ).

Thanks for all your great comments lads and ladesses =D>
    In general the lunar landings are such a solid part of my world view that I don't give much creedence to the nonsense being spouted from various persons and groups. It would be funny, however, if some major development could occur to move the discussion on substantially. But as you all make perfectly clear - the woo woos main strategy is one of continuous ad hoc argumentation and all the pitfalls that come with this. For them it is obviously not the content of the argument that matters, but what they do with the argument...come up with a critique of certain political situations with which they are not happy. Maybe it feeds their resentment of being politically marginalised...To be honest - they seem pretty marginal in most of their doings. Maybe a discussion af motivation is worth the time. Are there any general sociological studies of the social/psychological causes of conspiracies?

regards
    Trob

Are there any general sociological studies of the social/psychological causes of conspiracies?
    I'm not aware of any published acedemic/scientific studies off the top of my head. However, IMHO, JayUtah offers some excellent insight on the subject concerning Apollo here.

Thanks for all your great comments lads and ladesses =D>
    Just so you know, the female form of "lad" is "lass". Plural of that can be "lasses" or "lassies".

Of course it is...I was just being silly. But thanks all the same

regards Trob