Thread: Who's good at fire clean-up?

Who's good at fire clean-up?

The other day we had a brush fire outside the hotel where I work. As a result, the reddish brick has some pretty nasty soot stains up the wall. Is there anything magic that will remove it, or is it a soap and scrub-brush sort of project?
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Tog View Post
    The other day we had a brush fire outside the hotel where I work. As a result, the reddish brick has some pretty nasty soot stains up the wall. Is there anything magic that will remove it, or is it a soap and scrub-brush sort of project?
    Soap and scrub-brush is usually the *worst* idea, particularly on a porous surface. It just spreads it around and works it in. I'll look through our fire damage mitigation stuff to see if they have any suggestions in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    Soap and scrub-brush is usually the *worst* idea, particularly on a porous surface. It just spreads it around and works it in. I'll look through our fire damage mitigation stuff to see if they have any suggestions in there.
    Which is one of the reasons it's nice to seal brick.

Well I haven't been able to find anything specific in the literature we have around the office regarding smoke from brick. I know that drycleaning sponges are good for getting smoke off drywall/cabinets/etc, but I can't see them working well on brick. Would likely just tear them up.

The problem with using water is that it'll just smear the stuff around. Ideally you want to find a "dry" method of cleaning. Not sure what though.