Thread: Expect the unexpected - Cascades Subduction Zone study released today

Expect the unexpected - Cascades Subduction Zone study released today

Report makes chilling forecast on Northwest quake
    4 hours ago

SALEM, Ore. (AP) — More than 10,000 people could die when — not if — a monster earthquake and tsunami occur just off the Pacific Northwest coast, researchers told Oregon legislators Thursday.

Coastal towns would be inundated. Schools, buildings and bridges would collapse, and economic damage could hit $32 billion.

These findings were published in a chilling new report by the Oregon Seismic Safety Policy Advisory Commission, a group of more than 150 volunteer experts.
    Expect some Q&A about it.
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

I was just talking to a friend about this last night, actually. Or more specifically, disaster preparedness and how the Northwest isn't prepared at all. We were lucky twelve years ago; the earthquake we had then was deep, and we were in drought. This prevented a lot of damage in the major cities around here, all of which are built on mudflats. We are not likely to be as lucky another time.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

We spend a lot of time in a 1976 double-wide mobile home that just sits on blocks -- no foundation, not even tied to the ground. I shudder to think of "the big one" happening while we're there. It's also 1/2 mile from the sea but a couple of hundred feet up so we should be ok from the tsunami standpoint. Guess we'd better get busy about building a "real" house on the site. That might have gotten started this year if I hadn't hurt myself.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    The Western Washington emergency communication network drills for 'the big one' every year.
    It starts with the assumption that every bridge or overpass (we have skillions) are down or suspect, and that power, phone & water will be out in the hardest hit areas for at least 2 weeks.

The good news is, we (District 1, the Skagit thru King county area) have emergency powered radios in every 911 center, hostpital, Red Cross station, etc, with operators who generally are in close proximity (no bridge crossings).

Last year (maybe the year before?) we actually had a bunch of National Guard used as simulated patients at an impacted hospital - we (the whole command structure), were able to ferry them off their island and airlift them to McChord - using aircraft from Alaska. Long and slow, but a good exercise.

If you have a Ham operator in your neighborhood, consider saying hello.
    In Skagit county, we have about 150 active operators in our emergency services group, who drill monthly to maintain comms in the event of disaster.