Thread: Eric Dollard's style of presentation

Eric Dollard's style of presentation

Anti-Relativist Eric Dollard's style of presentation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em6ukitZ9wE

A bit amateurish, but engaging and with a good voice and pace of delivery?

(Mod note: The video is entitled "Theory of Anti-Relativity.")
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	926.jpg 
Views:	639 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	18388  
    Last edited by Jim; 2013-Apr-27 at 02:52 AM. Reason: killed link, added note

This is more of a seminar or lecture than presentation or speech and I wouldn't rate it like I did the speaker (Steven Crothers) in the other thread. A seminar or lecture is inherently different than a speech or presentation. It is more of technical production as opposed to a singular performance, like comparing a snippet of the nightly news to a full on theatrical presentation Macbeth. Totally different animals, this piece clocks in at over three hours.

He did seem to cope well with the unanticipated problems he was presented with, mostly light levels while trying to answer questions. That is never fun.
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caution: I may contain caffeine.

So far, this guy comes across to me as a complete scammer.
    I don't think he has a clue about the physics he's attempting to address.

He seems to be trying to recreate the 'dog and pony' (showman) style Tesla once had(?)

Problem is, he seems to be unable to generate credibility, due his obvious lack of physics knowledge.
    His appearance doesn't help his cause much either.

Overall, I'd say this guy is only going to appeal to those already obsessed with mainstream conspiracies, so I'd rate his potential damage factor very lowly … perhaps 2 out of 10(?)
    (Quite the opposite end of the damage spectrum when compared with Crothers).

His main M.O. seems to be claiming to be a supposed victim of the 'evil' Industrialists.

Quote Originally Posted by wd40 View Post
    Anti-Relativist Eric Dollard's style of presentation
    wd40, I don't want to jump to conclusions, so put my mind at ease about your intentions.

You post some ATM youtube, and ask for opionions about style. You have not done this with any mainstream speaker. Why? I'm getting the impression that this is a way for you to expose CQ readers to ATM concepts.

Besides, being that this is a science board, don't you think we should be concerned about what he is saying instead of how he is saying it? Especially since this section deals with teaching people science.

Having said that. What is your opinion about the science that he presents?

wd40, the video is obviously ATM. Please explain why you posted the link to it - without giving a synopsis as CQBAUT prefers (no blind links).

In the meantime, I'm killing the live link.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Is there anywhere in the rule a formal definition of "Mainstream" (as opposed to "Majority" and "Minority" opinions)?

My interest is the most effective and different ways for a scientist who is not a professional speaker to give over his ideas. Is it usually an "ATM" fellow who speaks in a more animated and eccentric fashion and may be more "effective" at maintaining an audience's attention?

If the subject was Mainstreamers "Carl Sagan's style of presentation", "Richard Dawkins style of presentation", or "Patrick Moore's style of presentation" would your mind then be less ill at ease than eg ATMers "Eric Laithwaite's style of presentation" or "Sir Fred Hoyle's style of presentation"?

The recently deceased Duane Gish was a scientist with PhDs and a renowned presenter and debater, too potent even for some 'Mainstreamers' to agree to take on. Would a discussion of Gish's effective style be permitted in this section, purely focussing on his verbal technique, not his content?

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    I don't want to jump to conclusions, so put my mind at ease about your intentions.
    Last edited by wd40; 2013-Apr-27 at 06:26 PM.

My interest is the most effective and different ways for a scientist who is not a professional speaker to give over his ideas. Is it usually an "ATM" fellow who speaks in a more animated and eccentric fashion and may be more "effective" at maintaining an audience's attention?
    "ATM" has nothing to do with delivery style. "ATM" categorises the content of the message. I don't see delivery 'style' of that message as having any relationships to the content. Delivery styles are a choice made by an individual, and are as much about their personalities, as anything else.

Whilst presentations to professional 'peers' might call for certain 'norms' (or styles), I can't see why an ATM message couldn't be delivered in this same manner. Crothers (for eg), did this quite well, (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by wd40
    If the subject was Mainstreamers "Carl Sagan's style of presentation", "Richard Dawkins style of presentation", or "Patrick Moore's style of presentation" would your mind then be less ill at ease than eg ATMers "Eric Laithwaite's style of presentation" or "Sir Fred Hoyle's style of presentation"?
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "ill at ease". I can listen to all sorts of garbage, (for fun), without feeling "ill at ease" .. why should Dollard's presentation be anything different? Sagan and Dawkins are not immune from entertaining 'garbage content' at times, either. I've recently seen Leonard Susskind pushing the boundaries (for eg), too. I'm sure the list goes on (and on).

Quote Originally Posted by wd40
    Would a discussion of Gish's effective style be permitted in this section, purely focussing on his verbal technique, not his content?
    Give it a shot .. I can't see why you shouldn't … (Although, the topic of 'style' is a bit dry for my taste).

Is there anywhere in the rule a formal definition of "Mainstream" (as opposed to "Majority" and "Minority" opinions)?
    I've never seen a formal definition, but what you have brought here is quite obviously ATM.

Anti-relativity? That, should say it in itself. This guy is an electric universe promoter.
    Plus; there are other clues. The words "lies", "suppressed", "leaked" are big red flags that something is wrong.

Your other thread, has other red flag words like "dogma", "common sense", "free from math" and has lots of links to electric universe stuff.

If that were your intention, then why is it not comparing mainstream and non-mainstream speakers? Instead, we just get links to ATM speakers and no mainstream ones to compare to.

...than eg ATMers "Eric Laithwaite's style of presentation" or "Sir Fred Hoyle's style of presentation"?
    Laithwaite was an engineer, not a scientist. He did significant work in computing and linear induction motors. I gather he had some problems understanding how gyroscopes work for a while but apart from that, a good solid figure in engineering.

Hoyle was a scientist who did much important work in cosmology. He proposed and supported a theory which was eventually shown to be wrong.

I don't know why you would class either of them as "ATM". I'm not really sure (speaking as an engineer) if the concept of "mainstream" applies to engineering or not; things tend to either work or not work. Although the name Ivor Catt comes to mind ... (if you are not familiar with his ideas, I recommend you stay that way.)

Isn't there a line from some movie about "10 out of 10 for style and 2 out of 10 for content"?

There are certainly mainstream scientists who are excellent public speakers, with either a more animated style or a more scholastic style. Neil deGrasse Tyson certainly comes to mind (obviously of the "animated" school).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

It is said that of the factors that hold back technology, 40% is due to "interpersonal conflicts", and this appears to have become the case with Eric Dollard, who some have called the "Tesla II", and which are now stymying his getting to research in an actual laboratory his presentations

Own Worst Enemy syndrome epitomized in recent Eric Dollard clash
    http://pesn.com/2013/07/20/9502343_O...Dollard_clash/
    Last edited by wd40; 2013-Sep-20 at 01:57 PM.

What does this have to do with the OP?
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caution: I may contain caffeine.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    What does this have to do with the OP?
    That even effective public outreach and style of presentation are no guarantee of success.
    Last edited by wd40; 2013-Sep-20 at 02:27 PM.

That even effective public outreach and style of presentation are no guarantee of success.
    That's right, It's the science that matters. So why discuss style?
    Why bring up this infighting and ad hom attacks that are happening on both sides?

That is an utterly bonkers web site.
    For years, I've talked about the pie chart showing the major obstacles that need to be overcome in order to bring an exotic free energy technology to market.
    Shouldn't that pie-chart just be a circle annotated with "100%" and "physically impossible" ?

It is said that of the factors that hold back technology, 40% is due to "interpersonal conflicts", and this appears to have become the case with Eric Dollard, who some have called the "Tesla II", and which are now stymying his getting to research in an actual laboratory his presentations

Own Worst Enemy syndrome epitomized in recent Eric Dollard clash
    http://pesn.com/2013/07/20/9502343_O...Dollard_clash/
    wd40,

You were warned about this whole thread back in April, as seeming to be an attempt to introduce ATM concepts outside of ATM. Now you have resurrected this thread with a link from another highly questionable site, and with nothing obviously about "the style" of Eric Dollard's presentation method. You are not even attempted to couch the discussion in "I'm just asking" terms, and are obviously trying to defend his position.

This will earn you an infraction and this thread is closed.

DO NOT attempt to open another thread about the "style" of non-mainstream presenters outside of ATM (nor revive one of your old threads).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules