Page 147 of 148 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148 LastLast
Results 4,381 to 4,410 of 4440

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    But of course people who suffer from real life-threatening allergies have been infuriated for years by people who claim to be "allergic" to food they merely dislike.
    I don't have to claim that, other people do it for me.

--------
    Try this!

No thanks, I don't like seafood.

Oh, you're allergic to it?

No, I just don't like it.
    --------

I've had that exact same conversation more times than I can count.

But of course people who suffer from real life-threatening allergies have been infuriated for years by people who claim to be "allergic" to food they merely dislike.
    And the opposite too. There are people who "don't believe" in allergies, claiming that those who say they do have them are merely looking for attention.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    And the opposite too. There are people who "don't believe" in allergies, claiming that those who say they do have them are merely looking for attention.
    And people who claim to have allergies as a way of getting attention, or drugs. Some are extremely convincing in their portrayal of allergic symptoms.
    And there are people who induce allergic reactions in themselves in order to get attention, sometimes even lying about what they're allergic to.
    It's complicated.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2020-May-13 at 12:04 AM.

On the other hand, sometimes it is just easier to claim or go along with a suggestion of an allergy for a food you can’t stand, especially if it popular. It saves on argument and debate, sometimes with people getting seemingly outraged you don’t like “good” food.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    On the other hand, sometimes it is just easier to claim or go along with a suggestion of an allergy for a food you can’t stand, especially if it popular. It saves on argument and debate, sometimes with people getting seemingly outraged you don’t like “good” food.
    I don't really have any experience of that situation. There are popular foods that seem pretty dull to me, which I'd never buy or prepare for myself, but there just aren't any foods that I can't stand.
    I do think pretending to have a life-threatening medical condition in order to get out of an awkward social situation has the potential to end badly. (I once encountered a man who had pretended to have a stroke rather than admit to his wife he'd fallen over drunk. That really didn't end well.)

Grant Hutchison

I don't really have any experience of that situation. There are popular foods that seem pretty dull to me, which I'd never buy or prepare for myself, but there just aren't any foods that I can't stand.
    I do think pretending to have a life-threatening medical condition in order to get out of an awkward social situation has the potential to end badly. (I once encountered a man who had pretended to have a stroke rather than admit to his wife he'd fallen over drunk. That really didn't end well.)
    I have never said or suggested that I had a life threatening allergy to food. If somebody really wants to know why I’m not eating or not interested in eating a food they seem to think is fantastic, I’ll say something along the lines of my stomach doesn’t react well to that type of food, and if they ask if I have an allergy, I’ll likely shrug and say something like “Perhaps, I’ve just learned it is best to avoid it.”

Since I was young, my parents noticed I was a picky eater, and I was repeatedly told I would grow out of it. It never happened. One issue is that I seem to be very sensitive to sour and bitter flavors, so generally avoid food and drink that is significantly sour or bitter. What some people seem to think is, for instance, a mild sour flavor can overwhelm everything else for me and make something almost inedible. Also, I don’t care for dairy products that taste to me like something that has gone bad. So I avoid a lot of cheeses (though I like some), sour cream (except in small amounts when largely covered in other flavors) and some other things like that.

I remember an incident at work where someone brought in some food that people were raving about and I made the mistake of trying a large bite from a sample. Turns out it had a type of cheese that I hate, and if I were in private would have spat out on my dish. I managed to swallow the food without gagging, then said something about not being very hungry and quietly moved off.

It isn’t all one way though - I seem to do well with spicy (as in capsaicin) foods that some can’t tolerate.

But especially when my Crohn’s acts up, I have to be picky or I really will risk upchucking.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2020-May-13 at 04:02 AM.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Yes, there is always that "Then you have never had GOOD [whatever]". There are people who seem to assume that what they like is what everyone should like. In my case it's a bit easier, because I can just claim "gaijin-ness" and people let me go!
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    For the most part, I don't like seafood, except for certain fried varieties. I also for the most part don't eat fruits or vegetables. I don't like about 90% of traditional Thanksgiving foods; my grandmother used to give me a baked potato and put the roll basket in front of me. She probably bought at least one extra package (she did brown-and-serve) every holiday just to make sure I had enough, since I wasn't eating anything else. The first month I was gone to college, my mother gloated at me about all the food she was having at home that she hadn't bothered making for years.
    I'm kind of surprised that it's possible to be healthy with a diet like that (I mean it sounds like you just eat meat and grains, though perhaps I'm missing something). I guess if you take vitamins and minerals from supplements.
    As above, so below

The one thing I did turn out to be wrong about was Brussels sprouts when I finally tried eating them again about a year ago at a restaurant near my school. I thought “Wow, these are actually good, I guess I just didn’t like the way my Mom made them!”

...nope, it turns out Brussels sprouts actually have become better-tasting over the past 15 years, and it wasn’t a “never had good ones” thing!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    The one thing I did turn out to be wrong about was Brussels sprouts when I finally tried eating them again about a year ago at a restaurant near my school. I thought “Wow, these are actually good, I guess I just didn’t like the way my Mom made them!”

...nope, it turns out Brussels sprouts actually have become better-tasting over the past 15 years, and it wasn’t a “never had good ones” thing!
    Huh, interesting, less bitter now eh? Might be worth checking out, though I don’t think we ever had them even when I was a kid.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Huh, interesting, less bitter now eh? Might be worth checking out, though I don’t think we ever had them even when I was a kid.
    I don’t particularly care for boiled Brussels sprouts, but like them broiled.

Like Broccoli, any waste goes to the curb as quickly as possible, or the trash can reeks in short order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

My parents used to grow brussels sprouts in the garden, so we used to get a lot of them, in season. They did need to be boiled for a while to reduce the bitterness, which certainly degraded the mouth feel. You had a choice between a certain metallic piquancy or a certain readiness to disintegrate. Neither bothered me particularly.

Grant Hutchison

I have never said or suggested that I had a life threatening allergy to food. If somebody really wants to know why I’m not eating or not interested in eating a food they seem to think is fantastic, I’ll say something along the lines of my stomach doesn’t react well to that type of food, and if they ask if I have an allergy, I’ll likely shrug and say something like “Perhaps, I’ve just learned it is best to avoid it.”
    Yes, I didn't imagine that you'd tell people, "I'll die if I eat these brussels sprouts!" But allergies are potentially life-threatening, and even just having people around you who believe you have a true food allergy can have significant consequences.
    A colleague of mine once attended a patient who had collapsed in a restaurant with a chunk of meat lodged in his larynx, which he was very lucky to survive. He was brought into hospital by ambulance--unconscious, blue and barely breathing, with the paramedics reporting presumed food allergy. My colleague yanked the obstruction out of his airway and ventilated his lungs with oxygen, and he eventually made a good recovery. But the early stages of his recovery were characterized by an oddly high heart rate and blood pressure. It turned out he had been injected with adrenaline/epinephrine by a bystander, an allergy sufferer who carried an epipen and who, on the basis of her own experience, had misidentified the airway obstruction as being an allergic response. So confident had she been in stepping forward with her diagnosis and management that no-one had even considered a Heimlich manoeuvre, and the paramedics had accepted the story without performing a finger-sweep of his airway. Being primed (in this case by the mistaken bystander) to believe the man had a food allergy meant everyone, including the paramedics, went a long way down the wrong management road.
    I'm not saying that sort of thing is common, but inadvertently getting yourself labelled as "person with allergies" certainly has the potential to send even health-care professionals off down the wrong track, if you're not well enough to tell them otherwise.

Grant Hutchison

I spent years trying to figure out what food I was allergic to that would cause violent sneezing attacks near the end of a meal. Apparently it's just snatiation. It's akin to gustatory rhinitis and photic sneeze reflex, both of which I also have. As far as I know, I'm not actually allergic to anything at all.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I'm kind of surprised that it's possible to be healthy with a diet like that (I mean it sounds like you just eat meat and grains, though perhaps I'm missing something). I guess if you take vitamins and minerals from supplements.
    A teacher of mine from high school with whom I traveled has been ominously predicting various vitamin deficiencies for decades now. She used to say scurvy, until I pointed out to her that there's Vitamin C in potato skins. (And I do drink a few fruit juices, though, yes, I'm perfectly aware that they don't have anywhere near the nutrition as is in actual fruit.) In recent years, she's switched the concern to rickets. Strangely, though, the only vitamin deficiency I've ever actually been diagnosed with is anemia. Given I do eat red meat, it's the one I'm arguably least likely to have. And, yes, I've taken a multivitamin regularly for many years.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

One issue is that I seem to be very sensitive to sour and bitter flavors, so generally avoid food and drink that is significantly sour or bitter.
    I've read a few interesting articles about the genetics of taste, like this one from Science Daily on aversion to bitterness. As one who enjoys it, I was also a bit fascinated by an article (23andMe) about the genetics of people who think cilantro (fresh coriander) tastes like soap.

I'm fairly adventurous where food is concerned and since taste changes over time, I frequently try foods I haven't liked in the past. Asparagus is one such food. The Wife loves it. Me, I find it visually appealing and I want to like it, but it smells and tastes somewhat fetid to me. There have been a couple/threeish times that I've enjoyed it...whether it was due to its preparation or its variety...but usually, it's a big ol' plate of nope for me. However, I do quite like brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower, which a lot of asparagus haters seem to also dislike.

The worst for me are beets, which The Wife also adores. It's hard for me to articulate how unpleasant the flavor is to me: one that is suggestive of sickly sweet humus. But still, I do try them from time to time.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    One can be very healthy on sheep meat and porridge, islanders have lived like that for centuries!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Yes, I didn't imagine that you'd tell people, "I'll die if I eat these brussels sprouts!" But allergies are potentially life-threatening, and even just having people around you who believe you have a true food allergy can have significant consequences.
    A colleague of mine once attended a patient who had collapsed in a restaurant with a chunk of meat lodged in his larynx, which he was very lucky to survive. He was brought into hospital by ambulance--unconscious, blue and barely breathing, with the paramedics reporting presumed food allergy. My colleague yanked the obstruction out of his airway and ventilated his lungs with oxygen, and he eventually made a good recovery. But the early stages of his recovery were characterized by an oddly high heart rate and blood pressure. It turned out he had been injected with adrenaline/epinephrine by a bystander, an allergy sufferer who carried an epipen and who, on the basis of her own experience, had misidentified the airway obstruction as being an allergic response. So confident had she been in stepping forward with her diagnosis and management that no-one had even considered a Heimlich manoeuvre, and the paramedics had accepted the story without performing a finger-sweep of his airway. Being primed (in this case by the mistaken bystander) to believe the man had a food allergy meant everyone, including the paramedics, went a long way down the wrong management road.
    I'm not saying that sort of thing is common, but inadvertently getting yourself labelled as "person with allergies" certainly has the potential to send even health-care professionals off down the wrong track, if you're not well enough to tell them otherwise.

Grant Hutchison
    I had a great aunt. She fell into a beer cellar whose pavement doors were not properly fastened. Unconscious, she was assumed to be in a diabetic Coma, the insulin injection killed her. But Twas a long time ago, They fasten beer cellar doors better now.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Asparagus is one such food. The Wife loves it. Me, I find it visually appealing and I want to like it, but it smells and tastes somewhat fetid to me. There have been a couple/threeish times that I've enjoyed it...whether it was due to its preparation or its variety...but usually, it's a big ol' plate of nope for me.
    I've just finished a plate of asparagus, it being the season in these parts. Steam for three to five minutes, depending on the thickness of the stalks, then chuck in a frying pan with melted butter, toss for a minute or so, whack on some lemon juice so that it sizzles in the pan, then serve. We add a sprinkle of breadcrumbs that have been through the hot-butter-and-lemon-juice process and then mixed with a little salt and pepper. Makes a nice starter.

Grant Hutchison

I've just finished a plate of asparagus, it being the season in these parts. Steam for three to five minutes, depending on the thickness of the stalks, then chuck in a frying pan with melted butter, toss for a minute or so, whack on some lemon juice so that it sizzles in the pan, then serve. We add a sprinkle of breadcrumbs that have been through the hot-butter-and-lemon-juice process and then mixed with a little salt and pepper. Makes a nice starter.

Grant Hutchison
    That sounds good. We also roast them in the oven, with a little oil, salt, and pepper on them.

Just steamed or boiled however (without the frying part that Grant did) is just horrible, IMO.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

This is going to make me sound extremely uncouth: I like canned asparagus, but not fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    This is going to make me sound extremely uncouth: I like canned asparagus, but not fresh.
    Canned was all my mother served and it was a war of patience whenever she did - I had to eat at least one bite and it was all I could do not to barf on the table.

And then I discovered fresh asparagus - and love it. Sautéed is great and also when grilled over charcoal. Roasted and wrapped in prosciutto and dusted with blue cheese crumbles. But plain salt and pepper and a little olive oil is just fine too. (Dang, I’m getting hungry.)

Saints preserve us. They can it?

Grant Hutchison

They also pickle it. Not an uncommon garnish for a Bloody Mary.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    They also pickle it. Not an uncommon garnish for a Bloody Mary.
    I have a jar in my fridge. Its not very good; I need to chuck it.

Back on topic. I suppose this is trivial in the big scheme of things, but it's got me very angry and I don't like that.
    My other forum allows political and religious discussions that aren't allowed here. That's fine, I like both.
    But while swearing and discussion of sexual matters are forbidden there, blatant racism is just fine. The particular trigger this time is the black jogger murdered in Georgia, but it's been going on a long time. I've just posted a rant there and logged out; I'm hoping to at least stay away for a couple of days. Another member here who is a member there actually got suspended for a response to a nasty racist post.

I should go watch some cute cat videos.

Saints preserve us. They can it?

Grant Hutchison
    It was pretty much all we could get/afford here when I was young. My father loved it but I found it horrible. It wasn't until many years later when I tried properly cooked fresh asparagus that I realised how nice asparagus really was.

Back on topic. I suppose this is trivial in the big scheme of things, but it's got me very angry and I don't like that.
    My other forum allows political and religious discussions that aren't allowed here. That's fine, I like both.
    But while swearing and discussion of sexual matters are forbidden there, blatant racism is just fine. The particular trigger this time is the black jogger murdered in Georgia, but it's been going on a long time. I've just posted a rant there and logged out; I'm hoping to at least stay away for a couple of days. Another member here who is a member there actually got suspended for a response to a nasty racist post.

I should go watch some cute cat videos.
    That’s a shame to hear. May I offer you some sloths?
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

That is deeply unpleasant. One of the things that's always made me proud to be a member here is that the mods took action against someone who was being racist against an ethnic group that usually isn't considered under such headings; if they allowed racism like that, I would've left years ago.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

That’s a shame to hear. May I offer you some sloths?
    Squeeee! So cute, thank you so much. And they named two of the Mocha and Latte!