Page 166 of 170 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 4,980 of 5096

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

A fellow looked it over and they are coming back at nine to start removing it. I may get out of this with no serious damage. It isn’t certain, but it was spread out enough it might not have gone throgh the roofing at all. Anyway, it’s months until rainy season, so I have time for that. Also there was a branch that got close to a window but didn’t break it.

But we’ll see . . . It’s about $2500 for the work, but I’ll be happy not to have that tree around, it always concerned me when winds got bad in the winter. This time there was just a minor breeze, but it was enough. It was just too big and old.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Yikes. Hope the roof wasn't breached.

Yep, I hope so too. It covers an impressively large area of the roof so hopefully the weight was spread out and didn’t knock any holes through. I don’t see anything and the lead fellow says usually it doesn’t go through.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Yep, I hope so too. It covers an impressively large area of the roof so hopefully the weight was spread out and didn’t knock any holes through. I don’t see anything and the lead fellow says usually it doesn’t go through.
    Hoping the best for your roof!
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

So there are a couple small holes, one or two fingers wide, and a couple scuffs. Also a couple dents in the wall that Iíll use filler on. One was pretty close to a window, Iím happy that wasnít broken. There is more work, but they got the tree off the roof, and the rest cut back so Iím not worried about it also coming down. Iíll have someone do the roof soon, but I donít need to worry about rain until at least September and rain doesnít usually get going until late October or sometime in November.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Any safety guy would worry that a fridge has a metal case and could have a cable fault, from a mouse say, gnawing the cables. Metal should be grounded but, being metal, could go live and shock you on a well grounded floor, never mind being wet. I think the GFCI is a good idea there and might save the mouse too.
    So to put a bow on the saga of the CFI, I had an electrician check out the circuit. This resulted in a new "annoys me" because it ain't the CFI that caused the trip - it's the old fridge kicking on and overloading the CFI which is only rated for 15a. Refrigerators prefer 20a circuits.

My options are to get another fridge in the not too distant future or install a dedicated 20a circuit. The new circuit would be cheaper but the old fridge is 12+ years. In a perfect world I would do both.

*sigh*

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    So to put a bow on the saga of the CFI, I had an electrician check out the circuit. This resulted in a new "annoys me" because it ain't the CFI that caused the trip - it's the old fridge kicking on and overloading the CFI which is only rated for 15a. Refrigerators prefer 20a circuits.

My options are to get another fridge in the not too distant future or install a dedicated 20a circuit. The new circuit would be cheaper but the old fridge is 12+ years. In a perfect world I would do both.

*sigh*
    Is it a combined breaker and residual trip? Anyway a fridge should not draw that kind of current even when starting. The running power of a fridge is a few hundred watts, like an amp or two at 110v. The inrush to the motor might cause the GFCI to trip, especially if the capacitor start circuit is old and tired. Those caps do dry out, I am assuming it is a capacitor start motor.

I don’t want to say your electrician has the wrong diagnosis but I find it unlikely that you need a 20 amp circuit just for the inrush current which happens every time the fridge turns itself on. Start caps are available. The new type GFCI as mentioned earlier, might well trip on a fridge motor, even if rated for 20 amps. Finally the fridge label plate on the back should specify the power or current required. I hope you don’t need a new fridge!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Is it a combined breaker and residual trip? Anyway a fridge should not draw that kind of current even when starting. The running power of a fridge is a few hundred watts, like an amp or two at 110v. The inrush to the motor might cause the GFCI to trip, especially if the capacitor start circuit is old and tired. Those caps do dry out, I am assuming it is a capacitor start motor.

I don’t want to say your electrician has the wrong diagnosis but I find it unlikely that you need a 20 amp circuit just for the inrush current which happens every time the fridge turns itself on. Start caps are available. The new type GFCI as mentioned earlier, might well trip on a fridge motor, even if rated for 20 amps. Finally the fridge label plate on the back should specify the power or current required. I hope you don’t need a new fridge!
    It's just the CFI tripping, not the breaker. His recommendation for a 20a circuit is consistent with current code requirements which require 20a circuits in the kitchen.

Besides adding a 20a CFI I also swapped out an extension cord for one with a better gauge. The new cord is still only rated for 15a but would help with any load-based heating. The old extension cord was not as beefy and only rated for 13a.

So it's likely several issues; old CFI (they do die), old fridge, weak extension cord between the fridge and the CFI. So let's see how things progress.

I also added a cheap LED night light so if the CFI trips I'll see it, rather than have to open the fridge.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    It's just the CFI tripping, not the breaker. His recommendation for a 20a circuit is consistent with current code requirements which require 20a circuits in the kitchen.

Besides adding a 20a CFI I also swapped out an extension cord for one with a better gauge. The new cord is still only rated for 15a but would help with any load-based heating. The old extension cord was not as beefy and only rated for 13a.

So it's likely several issues; old CFI (they do die), old fridge, weak extension cord between the fridge and the CFI. So let's see how things progress.

I also added a cheap LED night light so if the CFI trips I'll see it, rather than have to open the fridge.
    Fair enough, i hope it works out.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I hurt my back yesterday. It apparently didn't like my bending over to spray paint a shelf and is going into very painful spasms every few seconds. I almost went to the ER.
    I expect this is related to having broken it in my fall in 2012. Which makes me paranoid that something has gone wrong with the surgical repairs. If it's still like this on Monday I'll have see if I can get it X-rayed, just for peace of mind.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Iíd guess strained, not broken. Something like 30 years ago, I didnít break my back, but in attempting to move a chair the wrong way I hurt it terribly. With help, I was taken to emergency, and they gave me muscle relaxants. Basically, I stayed flat on my back on the floor for about a month. I could move enough to use the bathroom myself, but it was torturous and slow. I think it took at least two months to really get back to where I could walk normally without pain.

Anyway, after that it was much easier to hurt my back again. One time I had been digging dirt in the yard one day, then the next day feeling fine I walked out and moved one small bit of dirt and was instantly in great pain. Recovery wasnít as bad as the first time, but pretty bad. I had a fair number of incidents like that, after lifting or moving something heavy.

Eventually, I learned to be more careful about how I lifted and moved things and that largely resolved the issue. The key is to always keep it in mind when doing heavy work.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

No, not broken this time. Definitely broken in 2012!
    All I was doing yesterday was bending over to paint a shelf. The back had been giving me a bit of trouble for a week or so and that put it over the edge.
    Seems to be significantly better this evening after I've sat doing nothing all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Seems to be significantly better this evening after I've sat doing nothing all day.
    Glad you're feeling better.

Sitting on your butt all day; it works wonders! Good to know I've mastered a useful skill.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

My back was doing better, so I decided I was ok to go to the stores for essentials: Cat food, wine, cheesecake. I had a LOT more problems with my back while in the stores than I expected. To the extent that people kept asking if I was going to be ok.
    What really bugs me is this: The problem is with extremely painful spasms in my back muscles. It's as if they expect something is going to hurt so the all tighten up. Of course, muscles can't think. It's in my head. Something triggers an automatic response that says "Hey, this might hurt! Let's tighten up and make it hurt more!"
    Before the run to the stores I'd had only half a dozen spasms all morning. Since I got back, even fewer. But while there, around every thirty seconds, despite constantly trying to anticipate and relax.
    I mentioned the human spine in the "bad designs" thread. The human brain is worse.

Well, it's not in your head, if that's any comfort. It's a local reflex arc--you might be able to modulate it a little with happy or fearful thoughts, but your brain is not causing it.
    There is some area of inflammation in your muscles or ligaments or tendons that's triggering the spasm whenever some slight movement threatens to tweak it. It's all happening at a spinal-cord level.

Grant Hutchison

My back was doing better, so I decided I was ok to go to the stores for essentials: Cat food, wine, cheesecake.
    That sounds like a very weird party!

Seriously, hope you get better soon.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

What really bugs me is this: The problem is with extremely painful spasms in my back muscles. It's as if they expect something is going to hurt so the all tighten up. Of course, muscles can't think. It's in my head. Something triggers an automatic response that says "Hey, this might hurt! Let's tighten up and make it hurt more!"
    Yes, that sounds familiar. When I did a number on my back, keeping it very straight minimized those spasms, but it also made my back muscles very tired. Bending in any way started the spasms. You might want to put a blanket on the floor and sleep there for awhile, and sleep on your back. In your case it luckily sounds very mild, but you want to be careful not to make it worse. If it hurts enough, you might want to check with your doctor as a muscle relaxant can help reduce the spasming. Though beware, in my case it also somewhat relaxed my bladder muscles. That was . . . annoying.

Before the run to the stores I'd had only half a dozen spasms all morning. Since I got back, even fewer. But while there, around every thirty seconds, despite constantly trying to anticipate and relax.
    It was all the moving, bending and lifting or lowering food products at the store. I hope you were using a shopping cart, that helps support you. You might consider ordering online and either curb pickup or home delivery for a little while, and have your wife do any moving.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Oh, also watch how you get in and out of the car, minimize twisting and bending motions. I rotate in the seat to face the doorway then stand up. If you lift something heavy, use you legs, DO NOT bend your back.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Well, it's not in your head, if that's any comfort. It's a local reflex arc--you might be able to modulate it a little with happy or fearful thoughts, but your brain is not causing it.
    There is some area of inflammation in your muscles or ligaments or tendons that's triggering the spasm whenever some slight movement threatens to tweak it. It's all happening at a spinal-cord level.

Grant Hutchison
    Thanks, Grant, that's very interesting. I'll have to read up on that. I've been up for a couple of hours now and have not had a single spasm so that's a big improvement. Still taking it easy. It's quite sore, presumably due to all the spasming. Which is a funny-looking word.

Interesting to read how backs can act up in so many different ways. I'm not familiar with the spasms. I hope it goes a lot better for you soon!
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Interesting to read how backs can act up in so many different ways. I'm not familiar with the spasms. I hope it goes a lot better for you soon!
    Thanks! Still haven't had one today so the worst is probably over.

When I was 26 something "happened to my back" that made the task of putting on work boots and tying the laces unbearably painful. Same kind of spasms described by Trebuchet. I visited the doctor. At one point he asked me to take off my shirt and just stand there. "Ah yes, you suffer from what is clinically known as poor posture." He told me how I should be standing (and, as with many people, it meant more coming from a doctor than from my father). He offered me a blister pack of four giant muscle relaxant and painkilling pills, plus a prescription for more, and a regimen of exercises. I started immediately. After using up the four samples, I could do the exercises without them, so didn't bother filling the prescription. The exercises work the core muscles, and I've been doing these most mornings ever since. I remember telling the doctor, "I don't ever want to feel this pain again." And I've never had a recurrence.

The part that bugs me is people (not you) telling me that what you describe is the solution to my back issues, even when you can see the height difference between my hips through my clothes.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

The part that bugs me is people (not you) telling me that what you describe is the solution to my back issues, even when you can see the height difference between my hips through my clothes.
    Ditto. I joke that, in a plaid skirt, I'm a drunk test--if the lines are straight, you're drunk.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

I saw a TV commercial for a company you can call if you think you suffer from depression. They will do a remote consultation with a doctor, diagnose you, prescribe and sell you medicine.

Nope, no conflict of interest there.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Happy my anecdote wasn't misconstrued. After all these years I'm still amused by the doctor's blunt appraisal of my condition, but his advice was to me and me only, and it turned out to be very useful.

It topped a little over 100 degrees last night before going back down again--and took until after six PM to hit peak temperature. Today is going to be worse, and tomorrow will be even worse than that.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

My cousin in Minnesota called a couple of days ago because she was worried about my other cousin who lives in Portland (where it's supposed to be around 115F today!) and hadn't reached him. He's in his early 70's and not great health. Both of us did talk to him later and he was fine.

My cousin in Minnesota called a couple of days ago because she was worried about my other cousin who lives in Portland (where it's supposed to be around 115F today!) and hadn't reached him. He's in his early 70's and not great health. Both of us did talk to him later and he was fine.
    115, really? That would be hotter than it ever got here (113F) and Portland is a fair bit north of here. Thatís actually impressive. Today it is only expected to get to 96F here.

Does he have an air conditioner? It can be a real issue if you donít. Most places designate cooling centers for those who donít.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

It's supposed to be 112 here today, which is indeed our all-time record. Through a lot of the Northwest, all-time records are falling every day as the next day is just nasty and hotter.

"You can't erase icing."