Page 131 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132 LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,930 of 3935

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

  1. #3901
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,551
    Visited my flood damaged home--looks the same as it did last week. Don't want to get the contractors mad--they have my stuff after all.

    About that last visit.

    I had some print-outs on my bed. The bedspread was on the floor and only began to wick up water.

    A workman picked up the edge of the spread, and threw it atop the pile of papers--wetting it from above.

    Thanks

  2. #3902
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    992
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    That OPM breach M particularly worrisome. It included everyone who had a security clearance.
    Cross reference that info with the Equifax breach, and a foreign adversary has a nice list of people who just might be willing to exchange a little information for money.
    I am darkly amused by the symmetry that this security breach detailed people who had security clearance. My, lowish level, security clearance in Oz has happily disappeared long ago.

    (I hadn't really been aware of the OPM problems so read up on the background. Pretty astonishing about the lack of strength in their cybersecuity - which they had been warned about.)

  3. #3903
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    4,850
    I spent a good chunk of today working on retirement planning using three different online tools from the companies that handle my employment and personal accounts.
    Using the same information, the results vary from "you probably won't starve" to "you'll be rolling in dough".
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  4. #3904
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    49,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I spent a good chunk of today working on retirement planning using three different online tools from the companies that handle my employment and personal accounts.
    Using the same information, the results vary from "you probably won't starve" to "you'll be rolling in dough".
    Well sure... crystals balls and Ouija boards can give very different results, even given the same data (I'm only 43% kidding that those are tools of financial planning).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  5. #3905
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    6,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Well sure... crystals balls and Ouija boards can give very different results, even given the same data (I'm only 43% kidding that those are tools of financial planning).
    Possibly the third tool is a dart board. That's what I use anyway.

  6. #3906
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    4,850
    At least one used “Monte Carlo” simulations.

    They don’t even pretend it isn’t all just a gamble.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  7. #3907
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Falls Church, VA (near Washington, DC)
    Posts
    8,688
    Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Visited my flood damaged home--looks the same as it did last week. Don't want to get the contractors mad--they have my stuff after all.

    About that last visit.

    I had some print-outs on my bed. The bedspread was on the floor and only began to wick up water.

    A workman picked up the edge of the spread, and threw it atop the pile of papers--wetting it from above.

    Thanks
    Multiply that a thousandfold and you have the dinkweasels masquerading as roofers who trashed the roof of our band studio some 25 years ago. They simply tossed debris from one section of the roof onto another section and managed to knock a hole in it. That night we had heavy rain and the runoff came in through that hole and destroyed one of our computers. Our commanding officer got the contract cancelled. We probably did not get any restitution. It would have been like getting blood out of a turnip.

  8. #3908
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,199
    Ever since Kepler died, there's been a dramatic drop in the number of arXiv papers on exoplanets. TESS is not keeping up yet.

  9. #3909
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    13,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Ever since Kepler died, there's been a dramatic drop in the number of arXiv papers on exoplanets. TESS is not keeping up yet.
    Wow, I didn't know they even had arXiv in 1630!
    As above, so below

  10. #3910
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Ever since Kepler died, there's been a dramatic drop in the number of arXiv papers on exoplanets. TESS is not keeping up yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Wow, I didn't know they even had arXiv in 1630!
    You set yourself up for that one, Roger.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

  11. #3911
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    4,850
    Oh boy, another data breach.
    This time it’s...

    -SPINS WHEEL-

    Capital One Financial!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  12. #3912
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,199
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    You set yourself up for that one, Roger.
    I am so misunderstood.

  13. #3913
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,551
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Multiply that a thousandfold and you have the dinkweasels masquerading as roofers who trashed the roof of our band studio some 25 years ago. They simply tossed debris from one section of the roof onto another section and managed to knock a hole in it. That night we had heavy rain and the runoff came in through that hole and destroyed one of our computers. Our commanding officer got the contract cancelled. We probably did not get any restitution. It would have been like getting blood out of a turnip.
    Went back to my place again this week. Looks the same as it did last week.
    Hotel is comfy though.

  14. #3914
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Falls Church, VA (near Washington, DC)
    Posts
    8,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Our Virginia Dept. of Transportation people appear to be asleep about some road work zone warning signs. In particular there are two electric signs warning of a road closure on Route 50 near my home, saying it would last July 2 through 5 and require a detour. That was three weeks ago, and it has been two weeks since I called them about it. I call it non-trivial because it is a distraction, forcing you to take your eyes off the road to read the information, only to find it a false alarm.
    I think I need to eat some crow on this one. As I drove by the signs a few days ago I realized that they were showing "8/2 10PM through 8/5 5AM, meaning August, not July. No wonder they disregarded my report. The work is in progress now where the highway goes through an underpass. A deteriorating 63-year-old span is being removed, and a humungous crane is standing in the middle of the road to lift it out and hoist a prefabricated replacement into place.

  15. #3915
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,843
    Simon spent large parts of yesterday sick; I'm still uncertain what that means for our weekend plans. He woke me up about forty-five minutes ago because he was coughing so much; I dosed him with cough syrup and haven't heard him since. I suspect he went back to sleep!
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  16. #3916
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    14,489
    From the "amusing" thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    A couple of months ago my niece and her husband adopted a couple of neglected rabbits, a white female and a black male. They got the male fixed a couple of weeks ago.
    Sunday we picked them up at their house for our road trip and got to meet the bunnies. Cute.
    This morning my niece got a text that there are four baby bunnies in the back yard. Oops. They're fairly big, at least a few weeks old. Apparently mama's been hiding them until today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Oops. Now one of them died. It's upsetting my niece.
    It's no longer trivial or amusing. They are down to one baby, with one confirmed dead and two missing. After being requested to keep the mother and two babies she could catch in the hutch, the sitter let them out and lost another one. My niece is very upset and frustrated that she can't be there and do something about it.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  17. #3917
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,843
    Every once in a while, Simon's immune system decides that his brain shouldn't get to be the one with all the drama. He shows symptoms of illness but has not been found to have anything wrong with him. This happened, in my opinion, last week, and I made the choice to bring him to faire anyway Saturday morning. My boss was afraid he was contagious, despite the fact that as a Ren faire merchant he probably gets exposed to All The Germs all the time anyway and a child who's been specifically instructed to stay away from him (as in, he wasn't allowed in the booth during business hours, and my boss goes home at night) isn't substantially more of a risk even if he is sick than a customer with a similar illness. Also, you know, he used to be around Irene like this when she was a baby, and she never got sick. So I got a lecture first thing Saturday morning. I then ended up going home Saturday before faire closed anyway, because I was in far too much pain to chase the kids around faire any longer--a muscle in my foot cramped out of nowhere, freezing one of my toes at a weird angle until it eased, and that's just one thing that hurt. Then about fifteen minutes from home, my entire back seized up, and I had to keep driving anyway because it's not as though I could've asked Simon or Irene to take over even if they hadn't fallen asleep within about ten minutes of getting in the car.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  18. #3918
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    14,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    From the "amusing" thread:




    It's no longer trivial or amusing. They are down to one baby, with one confirmed dead and two missing. After being requested to keep the mother and two babies she could catch in the hutch, the sitter let them out and lost another one. My niece is very upset and frustrated that she can't be there and do something about it.
    Geez Louise. The rabbit just had another litter.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  19. #3919
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    11,808
    I've written and deleted 3 posts worth of writing about a brand new coworker who pulled a No Call/No Show/Email Resignation to the Wrong Person stunt. Great. Nice job.

    So, her job is now my job with 3 days to get the low down on everything entailed for the new school year before the old teacher moves on to a new school. I'm not complaining because I don't think I can do it, it's just the lack of professionalism in a field where professionalism is everything.

    Grrr...
    Solfe

  20. #3920
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,551
    I hear you. I know what it is like to have to do everyone else's job and yours too.

  21. #3921
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I've written and deleted 3 posts worth of writing about a brand new coworker who pulled a No Call/No Show/Email Resignation to the Wrong Person stunt. Great. Nice job.

    So, her job is now my job with 3 days to get the low down on everything entailed for the new school year before the old teacher moves on to a new school. I'm not complaining because I don't think I can do it, it's just the lack of professionalism in a field where professionalism is everything.

    Grrr...
    That happens with the auction company all the time.

    On a completely different subject I have been trying to get a new menu system for a webpage I am building but I am following what a website says should work but it won't work.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  22. #3922
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    11,808
    Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    I hear you. I know what it is like to have to do everyone else's job and yours too.
    I'm a building sub, meaning that I fill in for teachers, aides and teaching assistants, when I am not assigned my own room. So basically, I have to be aware of every classroom's situation, which is pretty much impossible. I do a lot of improv to get around this issue.

    Now that this teacher has quit, I only have to worry about my role as teacher in a classroom with 6 students and 3 staff. It's much easier on me, but still dang annoying to have someone quit like this.
    Solfe

  23. #3923
    Found out that one of our towns biggest employers is shutting down, the particle board factory my mother worked at for years. Her pension is all right, but in December 80 people will losing there jobs and the rest of the plant will be phased out in like 1-5 years.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  24. #3924
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Falls Church, VA (near Washington, DC)
    Posts
    8,688
    Yet another software "upgrade" that appears to be otherwise. I just did a clean reinstall of Windows 10 after having a corrupted C drive wiped, and I found that the old Photo Viewer app was replaced by a new Photos. According to other users it is, to put it mildly, a bummer, and mine would not even open. Fortunately I found a tutorial online on how to restore use of the old app.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7HeVd1ZNjA

    The old app is still there, but some registry editing is needed to use it. I watched the video step by step several times, and after reading virtually unanimous rave reviews in the YouTube thread I got brave enough to try it. It worked like a charm. I knew very well that it is foolhardy to edit the registry if you don't know what you are doing. If any of you are like-minded, be sure to click on Show More in the heading. That's where the necessary registry code is.

    Once again, I am continually amazed at how the smartest of the smart, meaning IT people at Microsoft and elsewhere, can do something so dumb. One hunch is that marketing mavens are butting in on the tech people and getting things rushed into production without sufficient testing.

  25. #3925
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    14,489
    I hear you. Every iteration of MS's file management since Win 3.0 has been worse than the previous. In fact, I kind of miss DIR/W!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  26. #3926
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    992
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Yet another software "upgrade" that appears to be otherwise. I just did a clean reinstall of Windows 10 after having a corrupted C drive wiped, and I found that the old Photo Viewer app was replaced by a new Photos. According to other users it is, to put it mildly, a bummer, and mine would not even open. Fortunately I found a tutorial online on how to restore use of the old app.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7HeVd1ZNjA

    The old app is still there, but some registry editing is needed to use it. I watched the video step by step several times, and after reading virtually unanimous rave reviews in the YouTube thread I got brave enough to try it. It worked like a charm. I knew very well that it is foolhardy to edit the registry if you don't know what you are doing. If any of you are like-minded, be sure to click on Show More in the heading. That's where the necessary registry code is.

    Once again, I am continually amazed at how the smartest of the smart, meaning IT people at Microsoft and elsewhere, can do something so dumb. One hunch is that marketing mavens are butting in on the tech people and getting things rushed into production without sufficient testing.
    I haven't had the courage to do registry edit - but I fully understand why you don't want to use 'Photos'. I assume these 'enhancements' are part of the ongoing attempt to charge for what was previously included in the Windows package.

  27. #3927
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Falls Church, VA (near Washington, DC)
    Posts
    8,688
    Photos still will not open on mine, and from what I have read elsewhere I am not going to bother trying to get it fixed. There were reports of reduced image sharpness and exaggerated color saturation, as well as being slow to open.

  28. #3928
    I might have to look further a field for a job such as some of the nearby cities, such as Fredericton, Saint John or even as far as Halifax.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  29. #3929
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,551
    Well, more problems at home. There was still a leak and a wet spot showed up on on the new ceiling. The floor to the upstairs bathroom isn't level. Sink is in the shower. Lower toilet not installed properly either. They turned the water off, and haven't been back to fix that or the central cooling.

    98 degree heat tomorrow--and all I have are fans.

    The universe hates me.

  30. #3930
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    14,489
    My poor wife has shingles. It's an awful condition, which she didn't need along with all her other health issues. We hadn't had the new vaccine because supplies were very short. It's just become more available so I got the shot today, but it's too late for her.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •