Page 174 of 175 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175 LastLast
Results 5,191 to 5,220 of 5232

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

I thought Belgium was strictly an SI unit.

I super hate that people are displaying their 99 other problems on visible and easily approachable people like teachers. And the dozens of other people who work with the general public.

I used to have this parent that would take pictures of me and my staff every day at dismissal. For what nefarious purpose, I don't know. Anyway, it stopped after I saw her and her child being harassed at a local store and I let loose on the guys bothering them. I took it up a notch more than I should have by reporting the guys to police, then filed paperwork at school. I was a mandated reporter and all of that.

Nothing much came of it via the police, but suddenly I was the parent's best buddy. That and the family had a friendly social worker contact after the experience, rather than the not so friendly social worker contact they had been experiencing. They managed to get into an after school, a weekend program and some home support so the parents could breathe easy for a few hours a day.

Funny that my anger displacement from the parent to harassing punks actually did something vaguely beneficial.
    Solfe

"my enemy's enemies" and all that. In any case, good for them and for you that it all ended up being more positive from that moment on.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

The highest paid employee of my state is the football coach at Washington State University. That's disgusting in and of itself, but he's also a vaccine moron, seeking a bogus religious exemption to avoid getting vaccinated as required. I'm 99.9% certain his "religious exemption" is based solely on politics. In addition to his being an ignoramus.
    I hope they fire his backside.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Although, I haven’t been following it too closely, I’m pleased that college sportsball players will be able to make some money from endorsements. For decades, other people have been getting rich from their efforts while players themselves were locked out in order to preserve the amateur “purity” of the game.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

If they're going that route, they should dissociate from the universities and discontinue the pretense that any of them are there to be students.

File under useful, but cruel and unusual human behavior.

When we had our fire, dozens of people gave us so much. Clothes, shoes, food, money and gift cards. I am really good at organization, so each and every person who did something received a note or card specifically thanking them for what they provided. It was all so amazing, unexpected and extremely needed.

Now for the cruel and unusual bit of human behavior. Some of the gift cards didn't work. Since I registered them online, I can see some of the transactions. As near as I can tell, the cards were purchased then immediately used. Since these came from charities, what was purchased with the card was totally mismatched to the intent of the group. A church doesn't buy camping gear, the PTA doesn't buy tools and the police benevolent society doesn't buy pet care products.

It seems to me that someone went into the store and collected up the numbers needed to use the cards. Then they waited until an innocent shopper purchased the card and activated it and burned the balance to zero. What a horrid thing to do. Not only is it stealing, it's stealing from a charity that was just trying to help someone else. Even worse, some cards have names and address registered to them, so that is either the perp's info or someone else's information that the criminals punched in. So they took advantage of a store, a charity and possibly some unrelated third party. What a jerk move.

I'm wildly over insured, this is merely an annoyance to me. But didn't have these resources the day of or even a week after the fire so they were really helpful and very necessary. My wife didn't have shoes to go shopping for shoes until someone gave her a pair. A hairdresser saw my wife and daughter had lost hair in the fire and cut to to make them look presentable. Someone, through the local ASPCA, made a donation so our lost pet received a proper burial. A neighbor ran home and got a leash and a cat carrier for our surviving pets, just 10 minutes after they got out of the house. Someone else went door to door to find pants and a couple of shirts for my wife and kids, because even their pajamas were stained and burned.

What if these charities and people were trying to help someone who literally had no other resources? Look at those AMAZING things these wonderful people did.

(When practical, some sort of compensation was made by me and wife to these organizations by way of a response to extraordinary gifts. Individual, private donations are harder to address. Paying it forward will be our response them.)

I have a very strong opinion of people who abuse systems and technology, that I won't bother to share here because it would bother the readers. This does nothing to moderate that opinion.
    Solfe

7. 2021-Oct-14, 02:50 PM
    Reason
    Duplicate

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe
    Another double post. It's gotta be me.
    Don't you hate when that happens? Don't you hate when that happens?

Taken care care of.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    It seems to me that someone went into the store and collected up the numbers needed to use the cards. Then they waited until an innocent shopper purchased the card and activated it and burned the balance to zero. What a horrid thing to do.
    Indeed. I've come across many gift cards on the rack that have had the perforated tab that covers the card number torn open by such people.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Don't you hate when that happens? Don't you hate when that happens?

Taken care care of.
    Both annoying and amusing, the first sentence was a deliberate attempt at humor. The second was accidental.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I bit nervous about the gift cards I picked the other day. But before that I have to make sure which two books in the Rama series I have and looks like I have to a lot of cleaning to find the books.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I maybe taking a little unscheduled vacation from the internet. I have been having problems with the laptop like really long bootups and logins, I just checked the computer specs and I only have 4 GB of ram witch could be the issue with programs like windows 10 and others all trying to startup at login. Tonight there is going to be a cleaning of the laptop of old programs and stuff I don't really use that much and moving of files to thumb drives. I might apply for some jobs around town to afford a new computer, there are jobs I haven't applied because I have been busy. I do have plenty of books and at the cable/internet package allows me to watch youtube on the TV. So if you guys don't see me for a while don't really worry. I'll probably be back.

clearing a few programs has made a huge difference.

As I told here earlier, on oct 6th I received a letter from the police, informing me that I am a murder suspect.
    Today, I got another letter from the police. Weird: I've never received any of their fanmail for my entire life*, and now twice in 2 weeks. The second letter was a questionaire, asking about my sense of security in our neighbourhood and whether I'd had contact with the police recently, if so how it was.

The one sentence I did believe 100% was "this questionnaire is sent to randomly selected people."

(*)except for one letter telling me how impressed they were with the performance of my classic car, and their bank account information...

Had the DNA sample taken today. Just like the rest of the town. They store it with a code number so that nobody working with the sample can identify the person behind it; they only use it to check for matches in this research. If there is no match, they delete the sample/data. If they do find a match, they run comparisons with other similar open cases. So it's not like I'm now eternally in the police database.

And the reason that the "invitation" letter called out everyone explicitly as a murder suspect is a legal thing: DNA matches can only be used in court when obtained from someone formally labeled as a suspect. That's why it would be worthless to call people voluntarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Had the DNA sample taken today. Just like the rest of the town. They store it with a code number so that nobody working with the sample can identify the person behind it; they only use it to check for matches in this research. If there is no match, they delete the sample/data. If they do find a match, they run comparisons with other similar open cases. So it's not like I'm now eternally in the police database.

And the reason that the "invitation" letter called out everyone explicitly as a murder suspect is a legal thing: DNA matches can only be used in court when obtained from someone formally labeled as a suspect. That's why it would be worthless to call people voluntarily.
    Oops. Never mind. Ignore this post, nothing to see here, move along, move along.
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2021-Oct-23 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    There was something I was only made aware on election day morning, Monday. One of the people who lives on my road has gone missing about a month ago. He is about 5 years younger than me and I do have bit of a history together when we went on the school bus. Behind my house and probably many other places there a trails and paths. There is no way to get into the paths on my property without going near the house. But a nieghbor has a road that connects to our paths. There are other roads that connect to paths. The guy was last scene not far from my house actually close to where I go get the mail. There is wildlife in the area that if provoked could of done something and about the time of his disappearance there has been a lot more traffic on the road because of road construction and logging. I hope he does show up alive.
    His body was found, well we figure it was him. There was a body found in the woods near where he lived on somebody's property, an ambulance went out about quarter to 7 last night. It was just on the news but heard about it earlier today.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I'm annoyed that, because it's 57 degrees [F ] outside, enough of my native-Floridian neighbors are burning wood in their fireplaces. Enough so that it's smoky inside our house, even with all the windows shut.
    Happened yesterday too. (11 months later.)

I have had a bit of a health scare over the last week or so but happily it turned out to be not anywhere near as bad as I initially suspected. Someone I know has recently been diagnosed with lymphoma with swollen neck glands being part of the symptoms. This caused me to carefully examine my own neck and I found a lump there which of course caused me much concern. It has now been diagnosed as a Lipoma - "A lipoma is a growth of fatty tissue that slowly develops under your skin". So basically a useless lump of fat located inside another, much much bigger, useless lump of fat. https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/lipoma

The normal treatment is to just leave it alone but it can be removed if it is unsightly or causing problems. I am currently, deliberately, losing weight and as my jowls reduce the lump is becoming more obvious. Also, as with any other new bump, scar etc I now have a tendency to notice it all the time. Removal is apparently fairly simple with just a small incision. If it was on my back or shoulders it would normally be done under a 'local' anaesthetic but my Dr believes that because it is on my neck a 'general' anaesthetic would probably be necessary. I have a referral to a surgeon for an opinion but will take a few weeks to decide my next step.

There's a US TV show called Doctor Pimple Popper, in which an attractive female dermatologist removes very large lipomas from all sorts of folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    There's a US TV show called Doctor Pimple Popper, in which an attractive female dermatologist removes very large lipomas from all sorts of folks.
    I guess that demonstrates that there is a show on just about anything these days - especially if an attractive person is involved. I can't recall even hearing the word before my diagnosis.

Many years ago I read a comic where the characters managed to tune into alien television. One of the things they saw was a channel that carried nothing but advertising. I thought that was hilarious and completely ridiculous - ads were the price paid for “free” TV and nobody would willingly just watch ads, there had to be a show to go with them.

I remembered that years later when I saw cable channels that were 24 hour per day advertisements. The joke had become reality.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Right now I am bit upset about something that happened to my niece yesterday at the gas station across from the high school. Something similar happened the previous day to another girl, two boys got into a fight with them. I really don't know the details.

High school can be a really trying time. When my class had a 50th reunion a few years back I couldn't think of anything I would less like to do than reconnect with those people.

High school can be a really trying time. When my class had a 50th reunion a few years back I couldn't think of anything I would less like to do than reconnect with those people.
    I shared/share the exact feeling with my old classmates.

I'm pretty sure that all of High School qualifies for this thread topic.

At least for me.

There are literally about 5 people from high school that I still keep in touch with even a little (a good thing about Facebook). It was six, but when their feed was filled with CT type nonsense, I cut that tie. The rest, I couldn't care less about. High school was also not the most wonderful time for me, and I have very little need to relive it. I did go to my tenth reunion, but have not been back for one since (I would be up to 45th).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I have never and will never receive a high school reunion invitation. I left high school in Mississippi at the end of my junior year to enlist in the Air Force and shortly thereafter, got my GED though the base education office, that was issued by another high school in Louisiana. I don't get reunion invites for the "GED Class of '79", of course and doubly so since the school burned down decades ago. Since I got a class ring prior to leaving, I consider the brick and mortar schoolhouse I attended to be "my high school."

I don't share the miserable view of high school; I was pretty happy then. But I lost any interest in talking to those people again pretty quickly. Once they were out of my life they were the same thing as strangers to me.

Completing a GED is ridiculously harder than actual high school. That's all I have to say. It's irritating all on its own.
    Solfe

I graduated from high school after attending that particular school only for my senior year so didn't have a huge group of friends. I have maintained contact with just one.

I had good and bad feelings about high school, for a lot of complicated reasons. But I was also voted "most likely to skip the reunion," and I certainly have not been to one yet.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"