Page 171 of 174 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,130 of 5201

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Photo of the Protection Island fire from my deck, after it was mostly out and the smoke cleared. You can see how it started on the sandspit on the left and ran up the hill. What's still burning there is apparently some driftwood logs that had to burn themselves out. And one small spot on the hillside.
    After it got dark last night I looked with the telescope and could see little flickering flames on the spit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Protection_Fire.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	26357
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

It's difficult to imagine that fire starting without some human help, whether intentionally lit or some long lost piece of broken glass focusing sunlight on tinder. Looking at the satellite imagery, there is/was a lot of driftwood on that spit.

Last week I was on the other side looking over your way. The scene always seems to be clear in the foreground and hazy in the distance, and I was unsure if that was due to fog on your side, general smog from Seattle and Vancouver, or salt spray from wind over the strait. Your view to Vancouver Island seems to be the same.

Yes, that's much the same looking the other way. Of course, it's Fogust now. Warm moist air plus cool water gives you surface fog. I suspect wildfire smoke is making a contribution as well, perhaps more so than city smog which would be higher.

Still hanging in there. Everyone is processing differently, which is one part amusing and one part strange. I often crack a joke that I don't know much about psychology, which is actually a horrible lie. I've taken far too many psychology classes to know nothing.

My wife can't go back to the house in it's current state. My oldest son wouldn't give us an inventory of his room. My daughter acts like nothing is wrong. My younger son doesn't want to talk about it, but then also asks strange questions like "when will they find and return x?" which isn't going to happen because it's all gone.

Lord knows what malfunction I'm having.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Still hanging in there. Everyone is processing differently, which is one part amusing and one part strange. I often crack a joke that I don't know much about psychology, which is actually a horrible lie. I've taken far too many psychology classes to know nothing.

My wife can't go back to the house in it's current state. My oldest son wouldn't give us an inventory of his room. My daughter acts like nothing is wrong. My younger son doesn't want to talk about it, but then also asks strange questions like "when will they find and return x?" which isn't going to happen because it's all gone.

Wow. So sorry. People sure react differently to events. Keep hanging in.

I can tell you from experience that it'll take a while to get settled, and then it'll pop out at you in ways you least expect.

My only advice is to seek counseling.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I can tell you from experience that it'll take a while to get settled, and then it'll pop out at you in ways you least expect.

My only advice is to seek counseling.
    Yeah, I'm actually do that.

Today, I had this odd moment where I couldn't understand a waiter in a restaurant. Not one single word. It was like he was making up sounds for words. I was having this internal conversation about having too much coffee or too little coffee, a lack of sleep, too much sleep or if my blood sugar levels or medications were off.

Then I heard a pair of waitresses mutter something about our waiter confusing people by mumbling. Since I heard them just fine and they were about 40 feet away, I realized it wasn't me. I asked someone in my party if they could understand stand the waiter. They could not either. My wife looked relieved, too.

It was the strangest meal I've ever had.
    Solfe

That kind of incomprehensible mumbling drives me crazy, especially when it's done by people who are capable of proper enunciation.

Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

My father had a tendency to mumble, and it was *our* fault if we didn’t understand him.

One time, my brother and I went to see the Popeye movie starring Robin Williams. We laughed heartily at his mumbled comments, while those around us missed them entirely.

ETA Oops, I meant to reply to Torsten’ post.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

And in some cases, it is about hearing.

My mother had impaired hearing caused by scarring from an early and severe scarlet fever infection (this was before antibiotics became available). She didn’t realize it until she tried to get hired as a phone operator, had trouble hearing people on the phone and they did a hearing check and found she had trouble especially with higher frequencies. In later years it got worse, of course, so we would run through this routine where she would accuse me (and others) of mumbling, then I would talk louder and she still wouldn’t get it, finally resulting in frustration and I would almost shout after the third or fourth iteration. Then she would say, “You don’t need to yell.” In fact, I pretty much did. She finally got hearing aids, which helped a lot when she used them, but when she developed dementia she was always putting them down and forgetting where. That, sadly, helped accelerate her issues because she was having trouble hearing people. Her vision also wasn’t good so she mostly gave up reading and that didn’t help either.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Since I dropped a load off here, I figured I'd also report that things are actually going relatively smoothly on the home front. Everything in the home was total loss, but it kind of makes figuring out what to do next easy. We are getting a whole new floor plan for our home.

Some of the original design was insane. Our bedrooms were off the kitchen, which lead to a massive amount of space being dedicated to an oddly shaped hallway instead of living space. That will change. Also, the use of modern products will allow us to save some serious cash for other improvements. We had hardwood floors which were hard to keep up, but the new house will have laminate or carpet at a ridiculously savings in funds and upkeep. We can push those funds into better windows and such.

So, yeah, it still sucks but it could suck worse.
    Solfe

Since I dropped a load off here, I figured I'd also report that things are actually going relatively smoothly on the home front. Everything in the home was total loss, but it kind of makes figuring out what to do next easy. We are getting a whole new floor plan for our home.

Some of the original design was insane. Our bedrooms were off the kitchen, which lead to a massive amount of space being dedicated to an oddly shaped hallway instead of living space. That will change. Also, the use of modern products will allow us to save some serious cash for other improvements. We had hardwood floors which were hard to keep up, but the new house will have laminate or carpet at a ridiculously savings in funds and upkeep. We can push those funds into better windows and such.

Good to see that things are starting to become a bit better.

Some of the original design was insane.
    The running joke around here is that, if I were able to completely redesign my house, I would put the front door on the front of the house.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    The running joke around here is that, if I were able to completely redesign my house, I would put the front door on the front of the house.
    Our house was originally built in 1948, and has suffered experienced many renovations. I’ve referred to it as “the Franken-house”.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Sorry to hear of this disaster

But for the reconstruction, I just want to make sure I understand - the external structure has been preserved, and it is the internal floor plan that is changing? Or is the whole thing being rebuilt from scratch?

Wildfires.
    Yesterday afternoon I watched a short video by AvE (Caution! Bad Language!) about evacuating his home in southeastern British Columbia. Only a few minutes later my wife told me she'd gotten a text from her cousin in northeastern Washington State, who had just evacuated his home. She heard from him again this morning. Their house and a car are destroyed.

As of today, there are 262 fires currently burning in the province. Our south is a mess. I imagine it's even worse across the border, but I've been too preoccupied to check anything other than the headlines.

I'm grateful there are currently none upwind of my home, though one to the SW that had burned ~31,600 ha as of four days ago is still burning up plantations for which I did the fieldwork and wrote silviculture prescriptions. It's very depressing.

Oh yes, smoke and fire. Summer smoke is becoming a regular thing here, especially going into later summer. Last year was really bad. This year there have been days overcast due to smoke, but typically not much smoke smell - until today. Very smoky smell outside, very overcast, not healthy. Here’s a local station covering it:

https://www.kcra.com/article/wildfir...ality/37339708

So far, where I am is reasonably safe from the wildfires, but I’m glad I don’t live up in the foothills. Too many places up there near lots of wild brush and unwatered, dry trees.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2021-Aug-18 at 10:58 PM.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

My Dad is still in a hard situation. He has his own medical problems including chronic pain, plus he has to take care of my stepmother who has even more problems and can barely move. If my own sister was not just post- operative (knee) I'd throw some clothes in a bag and head directly to Dad's.

My wife's cousin and his wife lost their home and a car to a wildfire last week. Now they are learning insurance won't cover enough to rebuild or get a new car. And they aren't the sort to have saved for their old age.

My thoughts are with NCN's dad and Trebuchet's cousin-in-law.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Yes, those are tough situations. I hope they get through it okay.

I couldn't imagine not being able to rebuild if my home were lost to a fire.

My wife Sabrina broke her leg Sunday afternoon, her first broken bone ever. Not a good time to break a leg.

My condolences ... though I'm not sure there is ever a good time to break a leg.

So, cast or boot?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    My condolences ... though I'm not sure there is ever a good time to break a leg.
    I've had two seizures, both in times and places where I was able to get immediate medical attention. Once in a Hospital. The second time, I was visiting the US Capital, in my Congressman's office! I came to with 5 doctors around me.

All I want is that kind of care for life. So vote Noclevername in 2022! If I'm elected, you probably won't be sorry. I know I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    My wife Sabrina broke her leg Sunday afternoon, her first broken bone ever. Not a good time to break a leg.
    Definitely not a good time. Hope it heals quickly.

So sorry. Hope it heals quickly and well.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Thanks! She has a boot since Sunday, we’re expecting the results of a ct scan to show she needs surgery. Yikes.

Sorry to hear this. I wish her the best of luck with the surgery if it proves necessary.

Thanks! She has a boot since Sunday, we’re expecting the results of a ct scan to show she needs surgery. Yikes.
    Good luck!