Page 162 of 166 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163164 ... LastLast
Results 4,831 to 4,860 of 4959

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

I’m waiting for some paperwork to come through so I can decline one job opening and formally accept another. They submitted it to their HR on the 31st and said I should get it any day now, but I haven’t gotten it yet and it worries me.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I’m waiting for some paperwork to come through so I can decline one job opening and formally accept another. They submitted it to their HR on the 31st and said I should get it any day now, but I haven’t gotten it yet and it worries me.
    Good luck with the job hunt.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Best luck in your new job.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Permanent job? Our little Kai? Aren't you still in high school? Wow, I feel old.

Congratulations on your new (hoped for) employment!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Permanent job? Our little Kai? Aren't you still in high school? Wow, I feel old.

Congratulations on your new (hoped for) employment!
    It’s not permanent, you have to do four seasonal jobs with the National Park Service before you can apply for permanent jobs, but if (IF! IF! IF! Please just send me the acceptance letter!) I can just get the letter and do the appropriate paperwork, it will be my second and a wonderful way to spend the next six months.

I actually got my Master’s Degree in Archaeology in September 2019.

6. 2021-Apr-09, 03:29 PM
    Reason
    Double post

It’s not permanent, you have to do four seasonal jobs with the National Park Service before you can apply for permanent jobs, but if (IF! IF! IF! Please just send me the acceptance letter!) I can just get the letter and do the appropriate paperwork, it will be my second and a wonderful way to spend the next six months.

You could make your podcast channel about where their are rough scratches in a rock and call them runes and proving Europeans were always here.

Or make a factual podca
    st about where you are working.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

It was current events when I was at the uni.
    People who live in glass houses, should get undressed in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    You could make your podcast channel about where their are rough scratches in a rock and call them runes and proving Europeans were always here.

Or make a factual podca
    st about where you are working.
    But any time people would be listening to my podcast would be time they weren’t listening to Shirley Robertson’s! And I just couldn’t bear to steal her audience like that!

Years ago, we frequently looked after my wife's grand-niece because of a family situation. A really complicated and mostly terrible situation. We tried very hard to have some influence on her. But as she got older and we didn't see her as much, our influence waned.
    We were fairly well pleased when she came back from wherever to get married around 10-12 years ago. Her husband was older, but seemed very nice. And their daughter was already six months old, but at least they'd gotten married.
    About five years ago she abruptly abandoned her daughter and husband to take up with some moron she'd been sexting with on the internet. Not good.
    About two years ago her ex, who had retained custody, died. The little girl went to live with his previous ex-wife, because our niece apparently couldn't be bothered. And that was just as well.
    Now the previous ex, who is responsible for the little girl, has Covid-19. Not too serious, apparently, but you never know. Crappe. That poor little girl.
    For two cents, I'd offer to look after her if necessary. My wife's sister would go absolutely ballistic, because we're not supposed to have anything to do with HER family. Nearly all of whose lives she has ruined.

From what I read, her going ballistic seems like a pretty good indication that you'd be doing the right thing... The previous ex seems to be OK, if she's taken care of a child she strictly speaking has no business with.

Poor little girl indeed. Some people just don't get the basic luck of a stable family.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Years ago, we frequently looked after my wife's grand-niece because of a family situation. A really complicated and mostly terrible situation. We tried very hard to have some influence on her. But as she got older and we didn't see her as much, our influence waned.
    We were fairly well pleased when she came back from wherever to get married around 10-12 years ago. Her husband was older, but seemed very nice. And their daughter was already six months old, but at least they'd gotten married.
    About five years ago she abruptly abandoned her daughter and husband to take up with some moron she'd been sexting with on the internet. Not good.
    About two years ago her ex, who had retained custody, died. The little girl went to live with his previous ex-wife, because our niece apparently couldn't be bothered. And that was just as well.
    Now the previous ex, who is responsible for the little girl, has Covid-19. Not too serious, apparently, but you never know. Crappe. That poor little girl.
    For two cents, I'd offer to look after her if necessary. My wife's sister would go absolutely ballistic, because we're not supposed to have anything to do with HER family. Nearly all of whose lives she has ruined.
    I kind of know the spot you are in, there is a similar situation with a cousin whose kids live with an aunt and uncle on my aunt's husband'sside of the family.

Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

I have spent altogether too much of my engineering career proving to other people that my design is working properly, and the issue is with “the other thing”.

You know the thing that can’t possibly be wrong, so we don’t need to check it.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Sounds very familiar. "This part is NEW, the problem must be elsewhere!" Or "no this is a simple opamp, they don't fail. Look further." And of course the eternal "blame it on your browser" game when a new web application doesn't work. This week however, I was a bit bamboozled when trying to prove that either this or that was the issue. I was alone so it was a "me versus me" anyway. An old game console controller wasn't working. A bit of poking with a multimeter later I found that one wire didn't make contact from the PCB end all the way to the connector end. Being a solid connector, there was no way to open it so I decided to cut the cable close to the connector so at least I'd know if the connector was faulty or the cable. You guess it: good contact on both ends. Whatever the problem had been, it was no more. And neither was the controller, as I didn't feel like solder-joinging and insulation all 8 wires. SIGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I have spent altogether too much of my engineering career proving to other people that my design is working properly, and the issue is with “the other thing”.

You know the thing that can’t possibly be wrong, so we don’t need to check it.
    Related to this, I have become the default finder of lost items for my family. I usually start by looking in the least likely and most ridiculous places. You know when someone says "Oh, I know for sure it can't be there!" that's where it usually turns up.

There is only one place more likely to find it than the least likely and most ridiculous places: "it can't be there, I've looked there already." The more they've looked there already, the higher the chances of it being there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    There is only one place more likely to find it than the least likely and most ridiculous places: "it can't be there, I've looked there already." The more they've looked there already, the higher the chances of it being there.
    True story, just happened ...

Wife: Has anyone seen my papers? I just had them.
    Daughter: Did you put them in "there"?
    W: No, I looked in "there" twice and they're not in "there."
    D: (Looks in "there.") Here they are.

On a somewhat related note, we just got new iPhone 12s. It turns out there are at least three ways to shut down and restart the phone, and each one runs the system through a completely different process. When Apple Tech says to restart your phone to clear the error, be sure to ask which way.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Related to this, I have become the default finder of lost items for my family. I usually start by looking in the least likely and most ridiculous places. You know when someone says "Oh, I know for sure it can't be there!" that's where it usually turns up.
    My children are both still in the stage where they can be staring right at the thing and can't find it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    My children are both still in the stage where they can be staring right at the thing and can't find it.
    That was me as a kid. And still today!

My Dad is still in that stage!

My Dad is still in that stage!
    Same with my mother.

Yeah, I'm also a person who never graduated from that stage. Sometimes in the morning I look in the kitchen for the coffee pot, and scan over and over, and just can't see it. And then suddenly I realize that it is there. My mom used to say, "if it were a snake you would have gotten bitten."
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Sounds very familiar. "This part is NEW, the problem must be elsewhere!" Or "no this is a simple opamp, they don't fail. Look further." And of course the eternal "blame it on your browser" game when a new web application doesn't work.
    I had one very frustrating experience where I was in a meeting between three points, say A, B, and C. I was in A. And we could communicate with C fine, but not B. And B and C couldn't communicate well. But the person in B insisted that it was a problem with A. And my boss, who was at A also, was accepting that and fiddling with the cables. But since we could communicate with C, the *evidence* suggested that the problem was with B. Later we found out that there was a problem with the undersea cables connecting A and B, so it wasn't really his fault but still...
    As above, so below

I'm hoping that all of you who can be standing over things and not see them at least understand the concept of "another person is pointing at it."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I ordered 6 boxed games online, second hand. I received them today. One is not boxed, another one not boxed and not even the right game. Curious how this will be solved...

A little attention to detail goes a long way. And I will not yet assume malice in both errors being financially advantageous for the seller....

I've been known to search all over for my phone while I'm texting someone that I'm searching for my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
    I've been known to search all over for my phone while I'm texting someone that I'm searching for my phone.
    I'll admit to having a moment of panic about where my keys are while driving at least once.

"You can't erase icing."

I'll admit to having a moment of panic about where my keys are while driving at least once.
    Well now that cars often have keys that just need to be near the car, rather than physically inserted into a slot, that has become a valid concern.
    People who live in glass houses, should get undressed in the dark.

I've more than once dropped my wife off somewhere and then been unable to drive because I didn't have the key-fob and we'd been running on hers. But it's pretty trivial!

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    Well now that cars often have keys that just need to be near the car, rather than physically inserted into a slot, that has become a valid concern.
    Not really. The car wouldn't have started if you didn't have the keys (they pretty much need to be inside the car, not just near it).

But I haven't yet determined what happens if you start the engine, then toss the keys out the window (presumably to another person, if you're testing!), then drive off.

My assumptions are that the car would not turn itself off, because that would be dangerous, but I have to believe it would warn you with an alarm and display on the dash. That's what happens if you try to start the car without the keys, after all.

(Actually, I used to own a car where I could take the key out of the ignition while the engine was running...)
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
    I am glad my keys didn't drop into one of these mud puddles a week ago.
    https://youtu.be/1wszX86uZQg