Page 1 of 136 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

People who profess that it's okay to let stupid people really hurt themselves. Especially those who cite "gene pool filter!"

That came up after I had to educate somebody that there are seriously major differences between carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide that goes beyond mere pronunciation. This person thought that both were inert smothering gases and that CO exposure was okay in a ventilated space. (Enough to set off the ceiling alarms!) His answer was to open the windows until the alarms stopped.

I felt compelled to elucidate his error and further more I wouldn't leave him alone about it until he found the source. (Roofers blocked the water heater flue.)

Gaah!
    Last edited by BigDon; 2013-May-01 at 07:45 AM. Reason: English! Do I speak it Mother Smucker?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    People who profess that it's okay to let stupid people really hurt themselves. Especially those who cite "gene pool filter!"
    I agree, it's a vast oversimplification of a massively complex and poorly understood subject. There are plenty with high IQs and understanding of advanced subjects, who nonetheless act in nonsurvival ways, and even a few simple folks with common sense (though not as many as idealism might have us believe). Wisdom isn't genetic, and neither is foolishness.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

What's more, they can take other people with them. So even if it were a guaranteed "gene pool filter" for those being idiots, what's the argument for letting them hurt others?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

To be caught in the gene pool filter, you generally have to do that is obviously self harming AND it has to be unstoppable, otherwise it is just unfortunate.

Ignoring someone who is doing something unwise is not something I would encourage. Life is just better that way. Heck, reaching out to those who do unwise things seems to be the operating principle of the police, fire departments, ER's, and usually Joe Average.
    Solfe

That came up after I had to educate somebody that there are seriously major differences between carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide that goes beyond mere pronunciation. This person thought that both were inert smothering gases and that CO exposer was okay in a ventilated space. (Enough to set off the ceiling alarms!) his answer was to open the windows until the alarms stopped.
    Is that stupidity or ignorance? Sounds like ignorance to me.

Not everyone knows that CO bonds permanently to the hemoglobin in red blood cells removing their capacity to carry molecular oxygen.

You can educate someone to remove ignorance, but can you teach someone to not be stupid? People who play Russian roulette and "chicken" in automobiles of their own free will would seem to indicate that stupidity is innate.

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    You can educate someone to remove ignorance, but can you teach someone to not be stupid? People who play Russian roulette and "chicken" in automobiles of their own free will would seem to indicate that stupidity is innate.
    But probably not hereditary. At least, odds are they won't be passing it along.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    But probably not hereditary. At least, odds are they won't be passing it along.
    Unless they already had engaged in risky behavior by having kids at a young age.

But yes, it's probably more learned attitudes at work rather than anything genetic.

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    People who play Russian roulette and "chicken" in automobiles of their own free will would seem to indicate that stupidity is innate.
    Especially if they're doing both at the same time.

Clev, I recall seeing a picture of a man using a plugged in power drill, standing on an aluminum ladder, in the shallow end of a swimming pool full of water, working on a four bank fluorescent light system. That was on.

My fingers almost didn't want to type that. That's so absurd that even an accomplished liar like myself is embarrassed to repeat it "out loud". (I want to get all Red Forman now but the board won't let me.)

Clev, I recall seeing a picture of a man using a plugged in power drill, standing on an aluminum ladder, in the shallow end of a swimming pool full of water, working on a four bank fluorescent light system. That was on.

My fingers almost didn't want to type that. That's so absurd that even an accomplished liar like myself is embarrassed to repeat it "out loud".
    Yes, but that's not the same as the Chicken and Russian Roulette examples I was responding to.

What you describe is a matter of inattention; which is partly based on innate characteristics, but not entirely. For instance I have a nephew with ADHD, and a mother who suffered brain damage in a car accident that affected her concentration, and both are undergoing cognitive therapy to learn to pay more attention to their environments. So while the tendencies towards inattention, overfocus or distraction is at least in part physical, it can also be mitigated with proper brain training; training that most people do not get.

(I want to get all Red Forman now but the board won't let me.)
    I assume you're referring to the mute donkey that Red often invokes?

Yeah, that would be him.

And I love that by the way. I'm going to have to use that. (within the board rules of course).

A good friend came over today to hang out and cook. First, he had to deal with my still-smoking-in-the-stairwell neighbours. Which meant that I took a quick run over to the office to complain. Since it's Friday, the manager wasn't there, and I had to deal with the assistant. She's been working there a year and a half, and she still doesn't feel confident enough in her job to make the decision on her own about what the next step is, so I'm going to go in Monday or Tuesday and apologize to the manager for the fact that she got called on her day off to be asked how to deal with it.

Then, my friend started telling me about his roommates. One of them recently moved out to move in with his girlfriend. The replacement has a job that, shall we say, the State of Washington hasn't finished putting the new regulations in place for. And even when they do, he doesn't plan to do it legally, because he wants to join the military and is pretty sure they won't let him in if they find out he's done that particular job, even here or in Colorado under the new state laws. My friend was not consulted about their new roommate, and two of his roommates appear to have made the decision about their new fifth without the other two. If the new one gets busted, which is not outside the realm of possibility, my friend can end up with a criminal record despite not himself having broken the law.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Something non-trivial that really bugs me when I hear it is "People who can, do, people who can't, teach." I mean deeply bug, molest, disquiet, bother, and make fume.

That is so dead wrong, and such an insult to the (few) fantastic teachers I have come across. Nurturing expertise in others is an art form when at its best, and so often a nightmare when practiced at its worst.

Texas, too close to roughly two million people
    Quote Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
    Something non-trivial that really bugs me when I hear it is "People who can, do, people who can't, teach." I mean deeply bug, molest, disquiet, bother, and make fume.

That is so dead wrong, and such an insult to the (few) fantastic teachers I have come across. Nurturing expertise in others is an art form when at its best, and so often a nightmare when practiced at its worst.
    I would have to agree with this. Imagine the HS Shop teacher who can't do any of what is being taught -- one can almost see the fingers lying on the wrong side of the classroom table saw

I freely admit that I had some lousy teachers in the public schools. However, even the so-so ones had one skill that the majority of the population doesn't--how to teach. I also had some excellent ones. Both my junior high and high school music teachers were also professionals--one was a composer and one was a jazz drummer. However, they both liked having roofs over their heads and food in the mouths, so they weren't trying to make a living at it. (Actually, the jazz drummer was a pretty lousy teacher, but the composer was one of the best teachers I've ever had.) I've even had a teacher or two who probably could have been making a living in their field, but they felt that passing that knowledge and those skills on to the next generation was important.

"You can't erase icing."

Here's another nasty disrupter of my mental peace: those who confuse survival of the fittest with survival of the strongest ("ley del más fuerte" in local lingo.)

Wazzit, the naturalistic fallacy(?), combined with this leads to all kinds of ugliness.

Quote Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
    Here's another nasty disrupter of my mental peace: those who confuse survival of the fittest with survival of the strongest ("ley del más fuerte" in local lingo.)
    Ditto. The whole thing smacks of old-fashioned Social Darwinism and eugenics.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Ditto. The whole thing smacks of old-fashioned Social Darwinism and eugenics.
    I had a sociology teacher who ran through a whole lecture on Darwin, evolution and economics just to put that one down. It was a really good lesson.