Page 137 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,110 of 4271

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    At least make it something absurd like Godzilla or zombies so you aren’t actually panicking anyone, hacker.
    There have been several cases over the years of roadside warning signs being hacked and changed to messages about zombies or similar (one link).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    There have been several cases over the years of roadside warning signs being hacked and changed to messages about zombies or similar (one link).
    There's a deer crossing sign around here, near the exit to Christmas, Florida.

Someone added a red nose to the silhouette of the leaping deer on it.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    There's a deer crossing sign around here, near the exit to Christmas, Florida.

Someone added a red nose to the silhouette of the leaping deer on it.
    I usually see small circular red reflectors stuck to the noses. What irritates me is the male anatomy added to some of the deer as well.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

We get hula hoops on the deer around here. And on the pedestrian crossings as well.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

The National Enquirer is proclaiming that Covid-19 is a genetically engineered bioweapon. People believe that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The National Enquirer is proclaiming that Covid-19 is a genetically engineered bioweapon. People believe that stuff.
    Including people in the office in which I am sitting now, tho not me.

The National Enquirer
    Well, there’s your problem!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Grey aliens and Bat Boy are behind all this.

There were people who thought HIV was engineered by the CIA. So yes I can beleive this. There are even some that think they put a man on the moon.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    There were people who thought HIV was engineered by the CIA. So yes I can beleive this. There are even some that think they put a man on the moon.

You read my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Including people in the office in which I am sitting now, tho not me.
    The office conspiracy theorist advised someone to get the coronavirus the first time it comes through, because you'll be in the hospital early when there's no more room for anyone else and the food runs out. Why can't I work at home? I wish I worked at home.

The US gov't is advising people to use "social distancing measures" in case we have a pandemic. How are we all going to communicate? We've got to figure out a way to socially distance ourselves when we talk about stuff. I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    The US gov't is advising people to use "social distancing measures" in case we have a pandemic. How are we all going to communicate? We've got to figure out a way to socially distance ourselves when we talk about stuff. I don't know.
    Basically, stop standing close and touching each other.
    Scots are at a massive survival advantage here, because we all have personal space the size of small countries anyway. (It's good to find an aspect of Scottish behaviour that is not life-shortening.)

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Basically, stop standing close and touching each other.
    Scots are at a massive survival advantage here, because we all have personal space the size of small countries anyway. (It's good to find an aspect of Scottish behaviour that is not life-shortening.)
    Heh. It sounds like stories I would hear from my parents and sister about polio season: Avoid theaters, parties or other places/situations with crowds in close proximity. Don’t get too close to strangers when going to the store. Don’t go to the store with a large group of friends. Avoid anyone that appears under the weather, limit contact generally.

Sometimes they would temporarily close public pools, theaters, etc.

We’ve gotten out of the habit of dealing with diseases by limiting spread like that. Time for a bit of reeducation.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Being a horrible introvert, I will just continue in my ways. However, my wife likes to get out, so this will be a problem. Long drives in the country, for sure. More phone and internet. Less Facebook, as my computer won't let me post there anymore.
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2020-Feb-25 at 11:10 PM.

My Sister-in-Law died this morning. She and my brother had been married for about 50 years and she had just turned 71. They were each others only romantic relationship. She was diagnosed with mesothelioma just under 2 months ago. They have 5 children and 11 grandchildren.

She had started a course of chemotherapy to try and delay the inevitable but had only one treatment before it became pointless. Today was the day she was going to a hospice but she died in her sleep in the house which she and my brother had designed together. That is some small comfort. Western Australia has, unfortunately, the highest rate of this cancer in Australia. This is probably because we had large deposits of asbestos and a mine operated here until 1966 meaning that it was a very common building material etc before its use was banned.

I'm sorry Ozduck

I'm sorry Ozduck
    Thanks - in the end it was better that she went quickly.

My Mom is currently hospitalized with pneumonia.
    And just today my Dad found out that a medical device surgically implanted in him for chronic pain has a disconnected wire, requiring further surgery to fix.
    His second wife is already undergoing a targeted treatment to shrink a tumor in her lung.

Welcome to the family of medical experiments.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Sorry to hear it Ozduck.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Sorry to hear it Ozduck.
    Thank you

My deepest sympathies to you and your extended family, ozduck.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    My deepest sympathies to you and your extended family, ozduck.
    Thanks Jim.

This may seem trivial at first, but the implications are not.

Ice wine harvest fails for first time in Germany after warm winter

… Temperatures failed to drop to the -7C required before the frozen grapes used to produce this year’s vintage could be picked and pressed. ...
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9367226.html
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    This may seem trivial at first, but the implications are not.

Ice wine harvest fails for first time in Germany after warm winter

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9367226.html
    I know our friends who live near Stuttgart, right in a large wine producing area, have been commenting about the warm weather for the last few years. We will be in Germany in August/September this year and most of the smaller hotels have no A/C so it will be interesting to see how warm it is.

Here, in Northern California we had the first recorded year with no rain in February and it has been pretty thin this winter overall. It may still come back this spring, as weather here can be very variable, and it may or may not be climate change related, but if the rain doesn’t come we could be looking at another nasty fire season.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

We've had an extraordinarily wet winter, which might also be a bad fire season, depending on how much rain we get over the summer. All that underbrush has been growing like crazy, and if it dries out . . . .

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

When my wife's niece was little, we took care of her a lot due to a family situation at my sister-in-law's house. We tried very hard to have a good influence on her compared to what she got at home. Unfortunately, once she got into her teens we saw her less and things weren't so good.
    Eventually she got pregnant, had a daughter, and got married; in that order. We were happy for her; her husband was a very nice man.

But four or five years ago she suddenly abandoned her husband and young daughter and ran off to another state to an on-line boyfriend nobody had known about. She's living with him and his extended family; all the worst sort of welfare freeloaders.

My wife has been keeping in touch with her ex; after all the little girl is a blood relative and he's become a friend. A couple of days ago she learned from the ex's ex that he was hospitalized in very serious condition. This morning she's learned they are "pulling the plug". Very sad.

I devoutly hope they don't send the little girl back to her mother.

It would not hurt to contact child welfare in the child's home county.