Page 164 of 166 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166 LastLast
Results 4,891 to 4,920 of 4976

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

My sister-in-law had her consult yesterday. The surgeon says he can't help. All he could suggest was more pain medication. Made me feel bad.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

And speaking of pain medication....
    My wife has chronic conditions causing severe pain. She takes hydrocodone for it. Legal requirements to avoid abuse are that a new prescription is required each month and that it can't be filled until just before she runs out. This results in monthly stress for us.
    So, today was the fill date. I went to the store and...pharmacy closed due to a family emergency. Said they'd be opening in half an hour or so. Ok, I had some shopping to do so I did that, checked out, and went back to the pharmacy. They'd just opened. I was number 10 in the line, two more soon joined behind me.
    Ok, I get the family emergency thing meant that had to call someone in, because an actual pharmacist must be present. But they KNEW they'd been telling people they'd open around 3:00 for an hour or more. So why did they open just one of two checkout registers? Earlier there'd been about six of them hovering around the close sign. I was already tired and my back and knee hurt and I had to spend 30 minutes standing in line.
    What really bugs me the most is that we continue to do business with this place. Not that there are a lot of options in this town.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    ...Legal requirements to avoid abuse are that a new prescription is required each month and that it can't be filled until just before she runs out...
    Legal requirements to avoid "abuse" of anything annoy me. It's stupid and it doesn't stop abuse.

Having to verify age to buy Nyquil or show ID to buy Sudafed are perfect examples of this. 99.9% of people buying these things aren't going to abuse them.

Quote Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
    Legal requirements to avoid "abuse" of anything annoy me. It's stupid and it doesn't stop abuse.

Having to verify age to buy Nyquil or show ID to buy Sudafed are perfect examples of this. 99.9% of people buying these things aren't going to abuse them.
    And it's not like folks can't get their hands on these things through third parties.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by kpatz View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    And it's not like folks can't get their hands on these things through third parties.
    Lets be careful folks, this discussion is drifting into politics.

Posting your personal experiences with a law is one thing, expressing your opinions about those laws is another.

I suggest we drop the topic.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Min is gone. The kids let her out something like a week ago, and we haven't seen her since. Yesterday and today, we've had heavy rain, and she would have come back if she could have. I've been telling the kids every time they let her out why I don't want her let out--we have a lot of wildlife in our area, and we're frankly not that far from both a major road and railroad tracks. A friend suggests that someone just took her in, and that's possible. And I really need to call Animal Control, because she is tagged, but I doubt they have her.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Min is gone. The kids let her out something like a week ago, and we haven't seen her since. Yesterday and today, we've had heavy rain, and she would have come back if she could have. I've been telling the kids every time they let her out why I don't want her let out--we have a lot of wildlife in our area, and we're frankly not that far from both a major road and railroad tracks. A friend suggests that someone just took her in, and that's possible. And I really need to call Animal Control, because she is tagged, but I doubt they have her.
    I'm sorry. I wish you luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I’ve had one cat that came back after a week, it looked like it had been in a big fight but I’ve had another that didn’t. So I wouldn’t lose all hope yet, but be prepared. I’m sure you’ve looked in trees or anywhere it could’ve gotten into but not out of, but sometimes they can surprise you. My current one found a way into the crawlspace from outside when she was young, but it didn’t occur to her to go out the same way, and it took quite awhile to find her. At least she alerted me to the hole, which I think was chewed open by some wild animal.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

The problem is that, if she got stuck in a lot of trees in our area, we'd never know. We've got a lot of wetland in our area that I'm not sure is owned by anyone beyond the county or something. If she went into the woods and got stuck, no one would ever find her.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I've had a cat that came back and another that just left for good. You find yourself imagining all sorts of worst-case scenarios. Sorry, Gillian.

My brother-in-law had a cat that used to disappear for months on end, and then reappear fat and happy as if nothing was amiss. The second time it happened he bought the cat a collar and attached a message to it, giving his phone number, and managed to make contact with the woman who was taking in and feeding his cat. She didn't really have a very good explanation for why she was doing it.

Grant Hutchison

A former neighbor of ours lost her cat while moving into a nursing home.
    Some eight or nine months later, the beast was located. He'd moved into an abandoned house in the middle of nowhere and survived reasonably well.
    Thus they were reunited for three or four happy years until the cat died of old age just recently.
    Last edited by DonM435; 2021-May-09 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    My brother-in-law had a cat that used to disappear for months on end, and then reappear fat and happy as if nothing was amiss. The second time it happened he bought the cat a collar and attached a message to it, giving his phone number, and managed to make contact with the woman who was taking in and feeding his cat. She didn't really have a very good explanation for why she was doing it.

Grant Hutchison
    When my wife was young, the family cat was gone for six months and came back missing his tail. And his testicles.

I'm hoping but not expecting. I'm also tired of all the people asking if I've tried any number of things that probably wouldn't work in my area--anything that involves your neighbours keeping an eye out probably relies on areas with a lot fewer undeveloped places around--and would take energy that I don't really have. She's chipped, which I would hope would mean that, if she ends up at Animal Control, they'd contact me?

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    When my wife was young, the family cat was gone for six months and came back missing his tail. And his testicles.
    Haven't we all had lost weekends like that?

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Haven't we all had lost weekends like that?

Grant Hutchison
    Not me personally, but I know a guy... (Yes, I'm talking about you, Nick.)

I broke a glass washing dishes. I felt a burning sensation in my hand and yanked it out of the soapy water. I got splashed in the face and burned my eyes. About a zillion seconds later, I was able to fumble for the facet and rinsed my eyes.

That was a real eye opener, my finger was geysering blood. That's what hit me in the eyes. It was on the ceiling, the window, the screen, the counter, and the floor. The water just made it worse.

I stopped the bleeding instantly with one finger over the cut. Really? Something smaller than my finger tip did all of that. I am considering getting it looked at. Probably when my heart returns to it's normal speed and position.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I broke a glass washing dishes. I felt a burning sensation in my hand and yanked it out of the soapy water. I got splashed in the face and burned my eyes. About a zillion seconds later, I was able to fumble for the facet and rinsed my eyes.

That was a real eye opener, my finger was geysering blood. That's what hit me in the eyes. It was on the ceiling, the window, the screen, the counter, and the floor. The water just made it worse.

I stopped the bleeding instantly with one finger over the cut. Really? Something smaller than my finger tip did all of that. I am considering getting it looked at. Probably when my heart returns to it's normal speed and position.
    OWWW!

I know a woman who did major nerve and tendon damage when a glass she was washing broke and gashed her palm. Hope it is nothing serious.

Wow. It's amazing how much blood can come from a little cut. Around ten years ago I cut a finger cutting up a turkey. A cooked turkey. It just wouldn't stop and I had to go get stitches. Hope yours has closed ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post

How in the bejeepers are you typing this and why do so now? Go get it examined!

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    How in the bejeepers are you typing this and why do so now? Go get it examined!
    Peripheral neuropathy. It hurts or it's numbness, but very long a period of time it can cause pain tolerance. It's super weird. On almost a daily basis, I think I feel all kinds on stuff that isn't there.

I had a bunch of broken bones a couple of years back and it took 4 days for me to figure it out.

I did a tele-doctor thing with the computer. It doesn't look like I'll need stitches. The funny bit about that is my doctor is my wife's friend, so I don't even need to go in. My wife is a nurse so he told her to banaged it. That's sort of wacky.
    Solfe

I may have to a cosmoquest vacation soon, maybe I will get a real job or maybe I will take a chair out to the pile of tires and rims and separate them and get some for the rims. Need money to for new tools and equipment.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I lost my bandage and I was afraid to wake my wife up to help me out. It's kind of hard to do such things one handed. I lost it smoothing out the comforter. It has the texture of cat fur and the bandage stuck to it. My daughter came out of her room just as I was finishing up and told me: "You should have woken mom up. She's gonna know you replaced a perfectly good band aid with that mess of tape and stuff."

She is probably right. I'm going to put a glove on my hand so I don't lose the mess of gauze, tape and stuff when I get back into bed again.
    Solfe

So. Very nontrivial.

My family was in a car accident yesterday. No one was hurt, but we lost a new camper trailer and the car is pretty ugly.

We were on our way out of state for a vacation. We didn't make it much more than an hour from home. Storm wind and rain slid and flipped the camper. If our crappy trailer hitch hadn't failed we would have flipped with it. As it was we ended up scraping against the divider.

We blocked the whole highway at rush hour, on a holiday weekend, for over two hours. An 18 wheeler truck tried to make it around us, got stuck and needed its own tow. We spent the rest of the day at the salvage lot, salvaging our stuff from what was left of the camper: luggage and beach gear, mostly. Most other stuff was a write-off but my favorite coffee mug somehow survived.

Just trying to keep reminding myself how extremely fortunate we are no one got a scratch. The most important people in my life were all there in the car with me.

Yikes. Iím glad all the people are safe, even though there was substantial property loss.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    So. Very nontrivial. ... no one got a scratch. The most important people in my life were all there in the car with me.
    Good to hear. (Sorry about the trailer.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Very good that you and your family are ok.

Definitely non-trivial!

"You can't erase icing."

Wow. Non-trivial and scary. But you survived and that's good.

Ouch. On one hand, glad you weren’t hurt. On the other hand, that must have put one heck of a damper on the weekend you were no doubt looking forward to. It takes time to get over events like that.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser