Page 170 of 173 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172 ... LastLast
Results 5,071 to 5,100 of 5172

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    The problem is that peak daily heating and cooling times pretty well coincide with the two "rush hours". You can't use cars to run the buildings' air conditioners if the cars are still on the road on their way home.
    True, heating and cooling would be better served by insulation and a heat/cool store. Large concrete blocks and tanks of water have been used for that. Or you need two cars.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

The problem is that peak daily heating and cooling times pretty well coincide with the two "rush hours". You can't use cars to run the buildings' air conditioners if the cars are still on the road on their way home.
    True, heating and cooling would be better served by insulation and a heat/cool store. Large concrete blocks and tanks of water have been used for that. Or you need two cars.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

We're already changing the "daily commuter" model to a degree, as most office workers have now had the chance to demonstrate how effectively remote work works. And much routine paperwork is already transitioning to electronic processing and even AI work instead of human labor.

So in the time frame of the conversion to all electric vehicles and renewable power, it seems like the rush hour will also be in decline.. it won't fully go away but it probably won't be nearly as massive a factor as it is right now.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Thermal storage systems have losses too. Every energy generation, transmission, or storage system has losses.

But no, I don't know the relative efficiencies of any of these systems. I do like the idea of using idle electric car batteries as storage devices; seems better than not storing the excess power, no matter what the losses might be.

I've said for a long time that the best solution for climate change is all of them. All the solutions have pros and cons, and may be appropriate in various situations, and not in others.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Very little information is available regarding the efficacy of the J&J vaccine against the Delta variant. My initial vaccination is about 5 months old, and the only advice my doctor can give is to monitor CDC guidance. So far there is nothing publicly stated regarding a booster with either the same or different vaccine.

Meanwhile, they stated that Delta is as contagious as Chicken Pox. Iím not quite sure how cautious to be. Should I decline work assignments that require my going to the facility? Should I do my grocery shopping at 6AM again?
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Very little information is available regarding the efficacy of the J&J vaccine against the Delta variant. My initial vaccination is about 5 months old, and the only advice my doctor can give is to monitor CDC guidance. So far there is nothing publicly stated regarding a booster with either the same or different vaccine.

Meanwhile, they stated that Delta is as contagious as Chicken Pox. I’m not quite sure how cautious to be. Should I decline work assignments that require my going to the facility? Should I do my grocery shopping at 6AM again?
    Can't offer a medical opinion, just the generic advice that it's usually better to err on the side of caution. Work may not let you decline assignments, but if you have that option....

I'm checking in as safe and secure, along with my family. Less one cat and hamster. We had an electrical fire in our basement. It was rather bad (click for local news story). The house still stands, but was gutted. Everyone made it out ok, but one firefighter was injured and my wife lost some hair.

I've managed to secure housing for us.

This week the insurance company is inventorying what they can but we have been assured that everything in the house is a total loss. They are asking us to fill out a "burn out of sight" for most things. There are not enough pieces left to identify common household items. Today, I noticed the refrigerator had melted. It's about a foot shorter than it used to be. Parts of the hardwood floors are buckling upwards while other parts were turned to ash and fell into the basement. The heater vents and pipes which ran along the ceiling of the basement are all on the floor. Some of the round aluminum heating and cooling vents were split open like hot dogs from the heat. A lot of CDs and DVD burned. Somehow the boxes melted, then the discs themselves, but the labels are fused to the surfaces that they landed on. My computer is still sitting on it's desk, but the top half of the screen is gone while the bottom half looks totally fine.

My wife smelled what she thought was fireworks, then heard popping noises. Then there was a roaring sound from the basement. She got my daughter and the dog out of the house. (My younger son was at a friend's house, my older son was still in Texas while I was at work.) A few minutes later, the fire department rescued one of our cats at the cost of smoke inhalation. That cat is fine. The other cat was brought out by the fire department's chaplain and was laid to rest by the town's animal control department.

My wife said she only heard firecrackers or something popping by way of warning. But every time a phone rings or a buzzer goes off the dog, cat and my wife all line up and bolt out the front door. This morning, she managed to do it to herself by using the microwave. When it buzzed, out they went. I imagine they must have heard the fire alarms blaring at some point, but couldn't identify the warning due to smoke and confusion. My daughter just gets this "oh, crap" look on her face. I don't think she's processing everything right now.

As of right now, we have a roof over our heads and the basics of what we need. We are ok, but not really ok. Today is the first time I've tried to do anything normal like laundry or browsing the web.
    Solfe

Oh, no. I’m sorry to hear that.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Wow, non-trivial, indeed!
    Iím sorry to hear about the house and pets, but am glad the humans came out with only minor injuries.
    (Maybe I should go check my smoke detector).

I'm really sorry to hear about that.
    As above, so below

An awful experience. I hope everything works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I'm checking in as safe and secure, along with my family. Less one cat and hamster. We had an electrical fire in our basement. It was rather bad (click for local news story). The house still stands, but was gutted. Everyone made it out ok, but one firefighter was injured and my wife lost some hair.

I've managed to secure housing for us.

This week the insurance company is inventorying what they can but we have been assured that everything in the house is a total loss. They are asking us to fill out a "burn out of sight" for most things. There are not enough pieces left to identify common household items. Today, I noticed the refrigerator had melted. It's about a foot shorter than it used to be. Parts of the hardwood floors are buckling upwards while other parts were turned to ash and fell into the basement. The heater vents and pipes which ran along the ceiling of the basement are all on the floor. Some of the round aluminum heating and cooling vents were split open like hot dogs from the heat. A lot of CDs and DVD burned. Somehow the boxes melted, then the discs themselves, but the labels are fused to the surfaces that they landed on. My computer is still sitting on it's desk, but the top half of the screen is gone while the bottom half looks totally fine.

My wife smelled what she thought was fireworks, then heard popping noises. Then there was a roaring sound from the basement. She got my daughter and the dog out of the house. (My younger son was at a friend's house, my older son was still in Texas while I was at work.) A few minutes later, the fire department rescued one of our cats at the cost of smoke inhalation. That cat is fine. The other cat was brought out by the fire department's chaplain and was laid to rest by the town's animal control department.

My wife said she only heard firecrackers or something popping by way of warning. But every time a phone rings or a buzzer goes off the dog, cat and my wife all line up and bolt out the front door. This morning, she managed to do it to herself by using the microwave. When it buzzed, out they went. I imagine they must have heard the fire alarms blaring at some point, but couldn't identify the warning due to smoke and confusion. My daughter just gets this "oh, crap" look on her face. I don't think she's processing everything right now.

As of right now, we have a roof over our heads and the basics of what we need. We are ok, but not really ok. Today is the first time I've tried to do anything normal like laundry or browsing the web.
    Wow, sorry to hear that. What a terrible experience.
    sicut vis videre esto

I imagine youíll be really busy for a while, but please post any information you learn regarding the cause of the fire once you have the opportunity.

Wow Solfe, I'm sorry about what you lost and thankful at least all your humans are safe.

Non-trivial indeed.
    I worry about what would happen if we had a fire because the smoke detector system is extremely loud and the first thing the cats do when it has a false alarm is go and hide. We wouldn't be able to get them out.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Mouse would either break out the windowscreen and bolt or else hide under something, and I can't predict which. I'm so sorry--people will doubtless tell you that the stuff doesn't matter, because you survived, but I'd miss the stuff, too. I hope you didn't lose anything to difficult to replace.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Wishing you some peace and recovery.

Sorry to hear that Solfe, good to hear everyone got out alright.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I'm very sorry to hear that Solfe.

Really puts my petty irritations into perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Mouse would either break out the windowscreen and bolt or else hide under something, and I can't predict which. I'm so sorry--people will doubtless tell you that the stuff doesn't matter, because you survived, but I'd miss the stuff, too. I hope you didn't lose anything to difficult to replace.
    A fellow I knew years ago had his house burn down completely, but everyone got out safe. He always said that people would tell him how lucky he was. He would respond, with a wry look on his face, yes he was lucky that he and his family got out, but if he was REALLY lucky he wouldn't have had a fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Non-trivial indeed.
    I worry about what would happen if we had a fire because the smoke detector system is extremely loud and the first thing the cats do when it has a false alarm is go and hide. We wouldn't be able to get them out.
    Ours tend to run and hide in the basement. Great for tornadoes, not so good for fires.

Wishing the best for you and your family, Solfe.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

There's a wildfire on Protection Island. It's a National Wildlife Refuge two or three miles from my house and the entrance to Discovery Bay. It's the breeding site of most of the seabirds in the Puget Sound area. Not a good thing. Making it a bit hard to breathe here as well.
    The sole civilian allowed to have a cabin there (grandfathered in) is in Seattle, waiting for news on how his house is. I can't see the island through the smoke.

Solfe, I'm sorry you and your family had to go through that. But I'm glad you're safe. Sorry about the lost pets.

There's a wildfire on Protection Island. It's a National Wildlife Refuge two or three miles from my house and the entrance to Discovery Bay. It's the breeding site of most of the seabirds in the Puget Sound area. Not a good thing. Making it a bit hard to breathe here as well.
    The sole civilian allowed to have a cabin there (grandfathered in) is in Seattle, waiting for news on how his house is. I can't see the island through the smoke.
    Update: They seem to have got it largely under control and a breeze has come up which is helping with the smoke. I can see the upper part of the island and the house is ok. The fire was on the western end of the island, and through the telescope I can see a burn scar running up the bluff on that end. There is still apparently an active fire on the sandspit at that end and I just watched a helicopter pick up a bucket of water and drop it on the source of the smoke.
    It's hard to think of any way for this to have started other than some yahoos thought it would be cool to go out to the prohibited territory and have a bonfire/cookout on the beach.

Update: They seem to have got it largely under control and a breeze has come up which is helping with the smoke. I can see the upper part of the island and the house is ok. The fire was on the western end of the island, and through the telescope I can see a burn scar running up the bluff on that end. There is still apparently an active fire on the sandspit at that end and I just watched a helicopter pick up a bucket of water and drop it on the source of the smoke.
    It's hard to think of any way for this to have started other than some yahoos thought it would be cool to go out to the prohibited territory and have a bonfire/cookout on the beach.
    Those are the same sort of idiots who, as happened recently here, have a bonfire on a beach and are too lazy to walk 5 metres to get some seawater to put the fire out. Instead they kick sand over the smouldering coals and then a small child walks on it 10 minutes later and gets severe burns to his feet which will probably require skin grafts.

Smoke is no joke. Hopefully they get that under control.
    Solfe

Thank you, everyone for the kind words and thoughts.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Thank you, everyone for the kind words and thoughts.
    Take care

Much less trivial than my island fire, the town of Greenville, CA, has been destroyed by a wildfire.