Page 135 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136 LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,050 of 4077

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Where is there unpainted metal on a car? It would be an invitation to corrosion.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

My understanding is one of the negative connections should be made to bare metal away from the battery. That's the last connection you should make in case there is any hydrogen generated from the battery and you get a spark when you close the circuit.

(That said, the auto shop guy who jumped my car tried to connect to the negative pole but couldn't reach it.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Oh, what I really wanted to post here is milk.

While I was growing up we had a milk delivery man. We left the back door into the kitchen unlocked on delivery days. He'd come in, check the supply in the 'frige, and restock. I drank a lot of milk growing up.

I read today that Borden, the company that provided all that milk (butter, cream), has filed for bankruptcy. Milk consumption is down and prices are up.

Oh, Elsie, I'm sorry.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    That's probably fine when it's that car which needs jumping, as you're only supposed to use one pole on the dead battery anyway (the black jumper cable would be connected to plain unpainted metal).

But it'd be difficult to jump start another car from your Edge, without being able to get to the negative terminal on it.
    Is it possible the Edge has a couple of remote jumper lugs somewhere else in the car, remote from the battery? I've seen this in the boot/trunk of a friend's car, which seems like handy arrangement.
    (It would also have stopped me daisy-chaining two sets of jump leads across the roof of my car, many years ago, when my girlfriend's car battery went flat while she was parked behind my car, thereby trapping both cars at the bottom of a long, narrow, steeply sloping driveway in Middle Of Nowhere, Scotland, with heavy snow just starting to fall. Happy days.)

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Oh, what I really wanted to post here is milk.

While I was growing up we had a milk delivery man. We left the back door into the kitchen unlocked on delivery days. He'd come in, check the supply in the 'frige, and restock. I drank a lot of milk growing up.

I read today that Borden, the company that provided all that milk (butter, cream), has filed for bankruptcy. Milk consumption is down and prices are up.

Oh, Elsie, I'm sorry.
    Will I still be able to get Elmer's Glue?

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Is it possible the Edge has a couple of remote jumper lugs somewhere else in the car, remote from the battery? I've seen this in the boot/trunk of a friend's car, which seems like handy arrangement.
    (It would also have stopped me daisy-chaining two sets of jump leads across the roof of my car, many years ago, when my girlfriend's car battery went flat while she was parked behind my car, thereby trapping both cars at the bottom of a long, narrow, steeply sloping driveway in Middle Of Nowhere, Scotland, with heavy snow just starting to fall. Happy days.)

Grant Hutchison
    The battery of my car, 2007 GM-H Holden, is in the boot (trunk). In the engine bay there is a 'positive' terminal with a handy red plastic cap and a 'bare metal' terminal bolted to the sidewall. These are what are to be used for jump starting.

This is more of an "amuses", but that's not where this subject came up... I once jump-started my scooter from my car's cigarette lighter. (I had a motorcycle battery charger that was meant for plugging into a wall, and an adapter that plugged into a cigarette lighter and presented a "wall" socket.)

We had a call yesterday from my brother and his wife. Or should I say "ex-wife", because apparently they've been divorced several months and hadn't told us. More than 40 years they'd been married, although this isn't the first rough patch.
    And they've got money problems again. I've bailed them out multiple times, but this comes as a surprise because they inherited A MILLION DOLLARS from my parents just ten years ago. How have they managed to blow that already?
    My ex-sister-in-law has lots of health issues, including lupus. She's basically an invalid. And too young for Medicare, although she may get it by being disabled.
    X-S-I-L just called and vented to my wife for two hours. I'm sad, depressed, and angry.

Oh, and my wife's not been on speaking terms with her sister for about three years, her sister's adult kids try to hit us up for money, and my younger cousin in Portland doesn't look after himself and I'm probably going to wind up having to see to his care.

Can I just abandon the whole "family" thing?

On the brighter side, I'm going to cook a delicious hamburger in a little bit and drown my sorrows in it.

ETA: I resent somehow having to feel guilty about saving and investing our money for the last 50 years while others don't.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2020-Jan-08 at 11:29 PM.

If it makes you feel any better Trebuchet, I suspect we all have those various family problems (my wife and I both do). Certainly don't feel guilty about your wise financial planning.

I hope the hamburger was terrific.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Thank you. The burger, with bacon, gorgonzola cheese, and A1 sauce was indeed very good.

I mean, I'm not allowed to save money--SSI requires you to have less than $2000 in assets to keep your benefits--but that's an extraordinary situation. I certainly don't think of other people as obligated to bail me out. Then again, I also don't know a lot of people capable of bailing me out of even a minor financial situation; most of my friends don't even know anyone who could leave them a million dollars! It's definitely true that the last person to think of me as a personal ATM is still, against my wishes, in my life; a good friend and I agreed that we should convince one of our sisters to be willing to trade siblings with the other person, so our sisters get each other as sisters and we don't have to deal with them and have each other as siblings instead. His sister expects the world to operate to her personal benefit in a way even I, whose sister stole from her bank account once, find shocking.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    If it makes you feel any better Trebuchet, I suspect we all have those various family problems (my wife and I both do). Certainly don't feel guilty about your wise financial planning.

I hope the hamburger was terrific.
    Yep. I had a somewhat depressing conversation with a family member last evening regarding finances.

Being responsible has consequences, even after 18 years of separation - no good deed goes unpunished. Discretion prevents further elaboration...

I should, I suppose, send a message to my brother and tell him to call if he wants to talk. But I'm not very good at that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I should, I suppose, send a message to my brother and tell him to call if he wants to talk. But I'm not very good at that kind of thing.
    Ok, I did that; as well as sending a message to his daughter, the daughter we never had. Haven't heard from them yet.

Several weeks ago a long-time member of my other forum stopped posting. People became concerned, did some research, and found he'd had a stroke and was in a hospital on life support. His wife was left destitute because they were living in Thailand and she couldn't access his Social Security. Someone in Australia started a GoFundMe and raised money for her; I donated.
    Yesterday we learned he's died. Very sad. I never met the gentleman but he seemed like a nice person.

My sister-n-law struggled but finally, after a number of years, got disability. Her prior work, for only a couple weeks, at a hamburger place, prevented her from getting disability in spite of extensive medical evidence. It's not a lot of monthly income but it helps. [It's the other sister-n-law that's our bigger financial headache -- she and her husband are both RNs but only she seems willing to work.]
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Yeah, you have to wait a ridiculously long time to get disability, but good luck if you try to find another source of income while you wait, because it proves you don't need disability.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Yeah, you have to wait a ridiculously long time to get disability, but good luck if you try to find another source of income while you wait, because it proves you don't need disability.
    Unfortunately, I suspect that's a feature, not a bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Unfortunately, I suspect that's a feature, not a bug.
    Oh, I have no doubt. My rant about the system is long and political.

"You can't erase icing."

I'm a building sub at a school. I don't often get my own classroom and students. That's usually reserved for emergencies, like having a baby, or car accidents, or any number of horrible things that can happen to anyone. I was in a classroom for three months while the school was looking for a new teacher. Once they found the new teacher, I was assigned to a different classroom while that teacher was off on maternity leave. (Ok, fine. It's what I do. I really enjoy the teaching teams I work with.)

In his first week, the new guy says: "These students are unteachable, eh?" There is a question mark there, but it was more of statement.

Some time goes by... then out of the blue, the teacher on maternity leave returns weeks early and the new guy takes some time off. I end up back in his room with my old students. A week later, I am typing up a letter to parents introducing myself as the new teacher.

One week after that, the new guy contacts me via social media asking why I though they fired him. I didn't answer him, I really feel no obligation.
    Solfe

That the only thing that I am officially qualified for work in my area, small fruit picker in July and August (blueberries), deckhand on a salmon harvest vessel (I get see sick) and a couple of other basic labor positions.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I'm a building sub at a school. I don't often get my own classroom and students. That's usually reserved for emergencies, like having a baby, or car accidents, or any number of horrible things that can happen to anyone. I was in a classroom for three months while the school was looking for a new teacher. Once they found the new teacher, I was assigned to a different classroom while that teacher was off on maternity leave. (Ok, fine. It's what I do. I really enjoy the teaching teams I work with.)

In his first week, the new guy says: "These students are unteachable, eh?" There is a question mark there, but it was more of statement.

Some time goes by... then out of the blue, the teacher on maternity leave returns weeks early and the new guy takes some time off. I end up back in his room with my old students. A week later, I am typing up a letter to parents introducing myself as the new teacher.

One week after that, the new guy contacts me via social media asking why I though they fired him. I didn't answer him, I really feel no obligation.
    One of the first things I tried for work was a substitute teacher, I went in to the office did the the interview and paid a fee, also got a background check done. I thought once you got on the list they would just call you when needed but never got the call. In the meantime I got a job at the call center in a nearby time and forgot to pay the fee to update the license. After leaving the call center I thought about reapplying but now there is a new test and I keep forgetting about it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    One of the first things I tried for work was a substitute teacher, I went in to the office did the the interview and paid a fee, also got a background check done. I thought once you got on the list they would just call you when needed but never got the call. In the meantime I got a job at the call center in a nearby time and forgot to pay the fee to update the license. After leaving the call center I thought about reapplying but now there is a new test and I keep forgetting about it.
    That's why I'm a building sub. It's every day, I don't have to wait for calls. This is a special edu school where most of the students don't really handle staff changes very well. When I don't have a classroom, I end up working as an aide or TA depending on what's needed. I few weeks ago, I was "driver for a day" making sure the classes were able to go on outings into the community. That was kind of fun.

Thankfully, this group of students accepted me back in the classroom right away.
    Solfe

I think I'd place Special Ed teachers pretty high on the list of things that make me happy. Except that guy.

I was outraged beyond my ability to express it in decent language when the NBC brass butted in on the figure skating championships with unscheduled news. I would venture a guess that basketball, football and golf fans on other networks were similarly outraged, considering the long-standing habits of the network poobahs. Of course we are shocked and saddened by the news of the sudden deaths of Kobe Bryant and his daughter, along with seven other people aboard the helicopter, but there would have been no adverse effect on the well-being of the public at large if they had waited 25 minutes and played back a recording of the news conference during the scheduled news hour.

My wife just pointed out that the easiest way to bump off James Bond is for his bartender to poison his drink. Bond NEVER looks at the bartender when the latter makes a drink for him in any movie (shaken, not stirred), just gives his order and looks away. Too easy.
    Do good work. óVirgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    My wife just pointed out that the easiest way to bump off James Bond is for his bartender to poison his drink. Bond NEVER looks at the bartender when the latter makes a drink for him in any movie (shaken, not stirred), just gives his order and looks away. Too easy.
    Maybe Q made him a poison detector that is housed in one of his teeth.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I was outraged beyond my ability to express it in decent language when the NBC brass butted in on the figure skating championships with unscheduled news. I would venture a guess that basketball, football and golf fans on other networks were similarly outraged, considering the long-standing habits of the network poobahs. Of course we are shocked and saddened by the news of the sudden deaths of Kobe Bryant and his daughter, along with seven other people aboard the helicopter, but there would have been no adverse effect on the well-being of the public at large if they had waited 25 minutes and played back a recording of the news conference during the scheduled news hour.
    Someone in my film group got banned for his reaction to being told that a discussion of his Oscar-winning short deserved a content warning, given Bryant's . . . history. How dare people's emotional trauma still exist on the day someone famous dies?

"You can't erase icing."

I HATE SCAMMERS. There is nothing much lower in calling someone on the phone and try to scam people. My mother just got a call from someone claiming to be from microsoft with my mothers credit card number and is going to charge unless she calls back. I found the number in the caller ID and gave to me, hopefully they were just bluffing.

Well she called them back and only got a modem sound, so all she can do is keep an eye on her phone bill.