Page 132 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132
Results 3,931 to 3,935 of 3935

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Sorry to hear it Trebuchet hoe she gets better soon.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My poor wife has shingles. It's an awful condition, which she didn't need along with all her other health issues. We hadn't had the new vaccine because supplies were very short. It's just become more available so I got the shot today, but it's too late for her.
    My sympathies to her. I had a dose about 12 years ago. Luckily I recognised what it was as I had seen my father's symptoms and was able to get the vaccine in time and only suffered a few bad days.When I had my attack you basically had to get the vaccine within 3 or 4 days of the start of the attack or else it was ineffective - I assume that this must still be the same.

Oh, no. That's awful for her; give her our sympathies.

Simon would be more eloquent, but I'm interrupting his TV watching, and how dare I even though he's seen this show literally dozens of times? I don't like the show at the best of times, but this episode is particularly awful, bordering on the non-trivial, because it emphasizes that the Moon only comes out at night. Bad enough that it's teaching that wishes are the solution to problems (rather than, on another episode this morning), just unlocking a door, a character uses a magic wish to get someone off the balcony where they've accidentally locked themselves.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Sort of trivial, but....

About 4:00AM our smoke detectors gave us a false alarm. Loud whistling accompanied by a female voice saying "Fire! Fire!". I checked, found nothing, and in a few minutes it stopped.

Non-trivial because a) my reaction was to run around the house in my underwear, instead of first grabbing the extinguisher or any number of other things;
    and b) the cats immediately went and hid. We wouldn't have been able to rescue them had there been an actual fire.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Sort of trivial, but....

About 4:00AM our smoke detectors gave us a false alarm. Loud whistling accompanied by a female voice saying "Fire! Fire!". I checked, found nothing, and in a few minutes it stopped.

Non-trivial because a) my reaction was to run around the house in my underwear, instead of first grabbing the extinguisher or any number of other things;
    and b) the cats immediately went and hid. We wouldn't have been able to rescue them had there been an actual fire.
    Our cats do the same for any such sound: smoke detectors, door bell, sirens, sometimes even the phone ringing. They go and run and hide in the basement. Might be a bad idea for a fire, but a good idea for a tornado, so I call it even.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules